Forums

Topic: Nikkei: Nintendo to Cease Wii U Production at the End of 2016

Posts 61 to 80 of 89

Haru17

TheLastLugia wrote:

Miyamoto is still evil I take it then from this page?

It really is starting to become a meme in a within itself at this point.

You're welcome.

And—even if Miyamoto isn't the progenitor of all sin—he still inevitably has an ego.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Rexcalibr

FriedSquid wrote:

I'm not really concerned with the consoles going out of production, but I'm not looking forward to the day when WiFi will be cut for Wii U games like they did for Wii and DS. Splatoon, MK8, Smash and more would become very boring without that. Hopefully that day isn't soon.

That is the thing I'm most worried about. I wonder how long the servers will last.

Rexcalibr

Haru17

Rexcalibr wrote:

FriedSquid wrote:

I'm not really concerned with the consoles going out of production, but I'm not looking forward to the day when WiFi will be cut for Wii U games like they did for Wii and DS. Splatoon, MK8, Smash and more would become very boring without that. Hopefully that day isn't soon.

That is the thing I'm most worried about. I wonder how long the servers will last.

Monster Hunter 3 going offline permanently would be pretty weak.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

skywake

Nintendo responded:
http://nlab.itmedia.co.jp/nl/articles/1603/23/news081.html

The google translation is pretty average but the twitter account I got this link from said that they denied it. They said that the rumour didn't come from them and that they plan to continue Wii U production. Whether or not that's them being tricky with their wording I'm not sure, I can't read Japanese (at least not that well). But I think that puts a bit more doubt into it either way.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

IceClimbers

@skywake: Yeah I saw that.

It basically translates to "That report didn't come from us... production will continue into the next fiscal year and beyond".

The report not officially coming from them is meaningless. Also, the next fiscal year starts in about a week, and they didn't say they'd be continuing production throughout the next fiscal year.

So their claim technically doesn't contradict the report, and is most likely PR spin to damage control.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

skywake

@IceClimbers:
It probably is just PR spin but it is worth putting everything on the table here. Nintendo could have just have easily said that they don't comment on rumours and speculation. If they had said something along those lines I'd be almost completely convinced the rumour was legit.

skywake

@IceClimbers: Definitely. Though to be fair there's nothing they could do or say that'll make people think it's not true. If they confirmed it it'd obviously be true. If they say nothing it's them trying to avoid the question. If they deny it then that's just PR spin. There's no way out of it, it's in Nikkei so it's likely to be true.

The only way they would be able to convince anyone that the NX isn't a home console at this point would be to announce it. Come out and show everyone their new portable. And obviously if the NX is a home console they can't do that....

Edited on by skywake

IceClimbers

@skywake: Pretty much. Hopefully they show off NX sooner rather than later.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Freeon-Leon

So... Even if this is true, what makes you think Nintendo won't have enough consoles by the end of the year to sell through 2017? I mean, they won't be overproducing a console that clearly doesn't sell.

Edited on by Freeon-Leon

Check out my super awesome Super Mario Maker levels.

3DS Friend Code: 4596-9585-5314 | Nintendo Network ID: JahirBGoode

skywake

@Freeon-Leon:
Well stopping production for Wii U does suggest they would be moving on not long after. How long they expect to be able to hold out after production stops is variable, you are right. But I think it's fair to assume that they wouldn't be able to stretch it out forever.

Freeon-Leon

@skywake: Well, at least this doesn't mean NX is launching this year. It could launch on holidays however (wich I highly doubt) but this rumour isn't an indicative of that, as many people are asuming.

Check out my super awesome Super Mario Maker levels.

3DS Friend Code: 4596-9585-5314 | Nintendo Network ID: JahirBGoode

skywake

@Freeon-Leon:
The Wii and DSi were both in production until 2013, after the launch of their successors. I think it's fair to assume that the Wii U's successor will launch before production for the Wii U has stopped. Or at the very least very, very shortly after. They don't want to run into a situation where they have nothing on the shelf for that market.

Pukentournament

This is the first real actual possible doomsday news isn't it? The first ever? But somehow this is the least excited doomsday thread. The previous less likely to be true rumors were way more giddy about this.

Pukentournament

DefHalan

Pukentournament wrote:

This is the first real actual possible doomsday news isn't it? The first ever? But somehow this is the least excited doomsday thread. The previous less likely to be true rumors were way more giddy about this.

I don't think it is doomsday news because Nintendo has already "announced" the NX.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Pukentournament

Doomsday for the WiiU. Not for Nintendo. How does announcing the NX mean no doomsday for the WiiU?

Pukentournament

Rumorlife

Haru17 wrote:

In case anyone's wondering, this is a better visual representation of Miyamoto's ego and Nintendo's Demise:

Untitled

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) I'm twelve.

I don't like this.

Rumorlife

DefHalan

Pukentournament wrote:

Doomsday for the WiiU. Not for Nintendo. How does announcing the NX mean no doomsday for the WiiU?

What are you talking about then? Everyone was talking about the end of the Wii U in this thread until Nintendo commented on this rumor. Because that is what this thread was about, the end of the Wii U.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Pukentournament

I was talking about the WiiU. Like the thread topic says? You're the one getting confused.

Pukentournament

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.