Forums

Topic: Nikkei: Nintendo to Cease Wii U Production at the End of 2016

Posts 21 to 40 of 89

kkslider5552000

Haru17 wrote:

So, when do they stop making games for it?

Considering Pikmin 4 hasn't been seen and they suddenly announced a new Paper Mario recently, I'd assume into next year. I mean, they still released GCN games in 2006 when no one even remotely cared (GCN TP aside).

I am glad even with this failing console, that Nintendo hasn't decided to just stop releasing games for the sake of purely focusing on NX. That miserable last year and a half on Wii (that would've been even worse if Operation Rainfall never happened) really killed any momentum Nintendo had that generation, it was the worst thing possible. I was terrified Nintendo might make that mistake again but I guess not? I hope not and they aren't just gonna rush out everything for this year like it somehow will change anything.

But despite its faults, it is still a shame that the only console that had much reason to even exist so utterly failed in terms of reaching an audience beyond hardcore Nintendo fans. Honestly it embarrasses both Wii and 3DS in a good number of ways, so it feels like it deserved better.

And Nintendo really should be partially blamed. I mean, think about how little they used the gamepad for Mario Kart or comparable heavy hitters? They couldn't think of anything? I could think of something! Have a Lakitu god mode where one player throws **** at the racers for fun and messes with things or even the track itself maybe! There!

Rayman Legends is exhibit A to me that the Gamepad was viable for quality, traditional gaming experiences but Nintendo really under delivered on it despite having some real promise. I mean, Splatoon and Mario Maker use it well, but they are really the exception more than the rule. It unfortunately all points to the idea that they should've just been boring and made Wii 2. Honestly, maybe they should just go back to Wii motion controls. Wiimotion+ was such a huge jump in a relatively short amount of time, imagine what we could get now?

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Grumblevolcano

@kkslider5552000: To be honest I could see the return of Wii motion controls if the NX is a VR console, even Sony's doing that with PS Move.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Haru17

...But do we have a platform for Pikmin 4 yet?

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Shinion

@Grumblevolcano: Reggie said that Nintendo aren't interested in VR in its current form less than a year ago. Of course by some people's 'logic' that means that Nintendo have been prepping a state of the art VR system for years. But I personally wouldn't count on it.

Shinion

IceClimbers

Haru17 wrote:

...But do we have a platform for Pikmin 4 yet?

Not yet. Could be an NX title. If the next 3D Mario and Zelda U are launch titles, then Pikmin 4 could launch in February 2017 for spacing reasons.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

TuVictus

I definitely see Pikmin 4 as being a launch window title for the NX. Which is a shame, but ultimately understandable. They'll need a solid lineup of games.

TuVictus

VelvetElvis

What a contrast to the Wii the Wii U was, in terms of sales success. As I recall, Wii production didn't end until late 2013 or early 2014. But I believe the Nikkei news; I wonder how long it took Nintendo to sell through the Wii U's initial manufacturing run.

On a personal level, I enjoyed the hell out of the Wii U, and I'll keep doing so for 2016. It'll have been a satisfying four years of Nintendo games, VC and indie goodness, but I'm very ready to learn more about the NX.

VelvetElvis

IceClimbers

I could see the NX Home Console launching on November 18th, 2016 with a 3D Mario, Zelda U, and Pokken Tournament as launch titles. Launching with Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon gives it a strong launch day. Have Pikmin 4 and Smash 4 launch in February and March.

The Bayo 2 team at Platinum is finishing up work on Star Fox Zero and Star Fox Guard as we speak. Maybe they'll ask for permission to do a port/remaster of Bayo 1 and Bayo 2 for NX?

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

veeflames

I really can't believe Nintendo is cutting the Wii U's life now. Yes, I know it had slow sales and lack of third party games... but still. I always thought it could be turned around.
I hope the NX is what everyone wants it to be.

God first.
My Switch FC: SW824410196326

3DS Friend Code: 1134-8006-9637 | Nintendo Network ID: VolcanoFlames

Sticker

I'm glad the Wii U is dieing. It's nothing but a failure with it's almost terrible games.

"PlatinumGamer" wrote:

Is Nintendo Life even that good of a fourm anyways?

"Sparks" wrote:

prolly full of 6 year olds tbh

Nintendo Network ID: Senpai900900

FragRed

@Vee_Flames: It's way too late in the life cycle to turn things around. I think Nintendo should start a new with the NX. Market it heavily, make sure they actually tell people what it is and how it is a brand new system, and what ever gimmick it may have needs to wow people and be something instantly understood by the masses. That and a strong launch line up, from first, second and third parties alike.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

cookiex

VelvetElvis wrote:

What a contrast to the Wii the Wii U was, in terms of sales success. As I recall, Wii production didn't end until late 2013 or early 2014. But I believe the Nikkei news; I wonder how long it took Nintendo to sell through the Wii U's initial manufacturing run.

The Gamecube vanished almost instantly when the Wii started making rounds, though it had practically been on it's deathbed since 2005 while Wii U had at least some momentum going into this year.

I'm sad that the Wii U's lifespan is coming to a close (I will always have many fond memories of the console) but it's time to look forward, I guess. NX seems to be basically confirmed for a November launch now.

cookiex
Self-appointed NintendoLife Hyrule Warriors ambassador

veeflames

Sticker wrote:

I'm glad the Wii U is dieing. It's nothing but a failure with it's almost terrible games.

You never cease to amaze me with your consistent "on-off" attitude. Pick one side. That'll be good for everyone.
@FragRed Yeah, but something will still make the people angry. Again, I hope the NX makes a lot of people happy.

God first.
My Switch FC: SW824410196326

3DS Friend Code: 1134-8006-9637 | Nintendo Network ID: VolcanoFlames

shaneoh

Vee_Flames wrote:

I really can't believe Nintendo is cutting the Wii U's life now. Yes, I know it had slow sales and lack of third party games... but still. I always thought it could be turned around.
I hope the NX is what everyone wants it to be.

Not necessarily, they may already have enough units for the next few years, in which case why make more?

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

DefHalan

IceClimbers wrote:

I could see the NX Home Console launching on November 18th, 2016 with a 3D Mario, Zelda U, and Pokken Tournament as launch titles. Launching with Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon gives it a strong launch day. Have Pikmin 4 and Smash 4 launch in February and March.

The Bayo 2 team at Platinum is finishing up work on Star Fox Zero and Star Fox Guard as we speak. Maybe they'll ask for permission to do a port/remaster of Bayo 1 and Bayo 2 for NX?

Lets put all the games that couldn't sell the Wii U on the NX... Why?

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

FriedSquid

I'm not really concerned with the consoles going out of production, but I'm not looking forward to the day when WiFi will be cut for Wii U games like they did for Wii and DS. Splatoon, MK8, Smash and more would become very boring without that. Hopefully that day isn't soon.

Sav'aaq!
A Miiverse admin's first day on the job.
"Samus is under fire! She's sent an emergency directive! Join the fight!"
My Squidloggery

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6168-7289 | Nintendo Network ID: captainsquid

FragRed

Vee_Flames wrote:

Sticker wrote:

You never cease to amaze me with your consistent "on-off" attitude. Pick one side. That'll be good for everyone.
@FragRed Yeah, but something will still make the people angry. Again, I hope the NX makes a lot of people happy.

Well Nintendo will never be able to change the minds of the anti-Nintendo fan boys of Sony and Microsoft, whom I am sure don't even buy first party games on their own systems judging by low sales so far this gen.

For a console, Nintendo has a lot to prove I feel so they can't half ass the reveal, when ever that maybe. And I don't think a single E3 conference maybe enough to showcase the NX, especially if it really is something totally different to anything Nintendo has done before which is also extremely secretive.

This rumour is spreading the internet like wildfire, well apart from NL whom have as yet to write an article on it. Think almost everyone else has reported it. Will be interested to see if Nintendo tries to calm the waters, or if they just stay quiet.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

FragRed

@FriedSquid: Wi-Fi was cut on the Wii and DS because the servers that were hosting the games on those two consoles were shut down. They weren't hosted by Nintendo like the games on the Wii U are so there is no worries about them being shut down anytime soon. That would be disastrous for Nintendo.

jariw

Chandlero wrote:

If this was true, NX would be backward compatible and released at the end of the year.

1. To be backwards compatible with the Wii U, NX would need to support dual screens where the input controller must contain touchscreen, gyro, speaker, NFC reader, and a lot of other stuff.
2. To be hardware backwards compatible with the Wii U, the NX needs (at least) a Wii U compatible CPU and GPU, in addition to the processors NX will use. Currently, nothing points towards NX being a PPC-based system.
3. If it is backwards compatible, there would be no need to make a Smash U port release title, based on that earlier Serkan Toto rumor. Smash U is already 1080p, so what would a be the reason for a port? Bundling all DLC?

cookiex wrote:

NX seems to be basically confirmed for a November launch now.

The sales numbers for the Wii U has been pretty consistent during the past 2 fiscal years, so if Nintendo decides to end hardware production this year, it doesn't necessarily mean anything for the NX release date. Nintendo could still stock hardware units. It's not like they would need to stock 20 million hardware units to cover the demands for the next year.

Edited on by jariw

jariw

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.