Forums

Topic: Nikkei: Nintendo to Cease Wii U Production at the End of 2016

Posts 1 to 20 of 89

IceClimbers

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1199604&page=2

Welp, there it is. Nintendo is officially ceasing Wii U production at the end of the year. They probably stopped a while ago, but this just makes it official.

The Nikkei also reports that NX will be unveiled this year. Note that it does NOT rule out a 2016 release, which is looking more and more likely.

RIP Wii U.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Haru17

So, when do they stop making games for it?

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

IceClimbers

@Haru17: Most likely after Zelda releases.

-Green-

Ouch. Hopefully they're actually prepared with the NX when it inevitably releases.

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

GrailUK

Aww. It's so sad. The Wii U will go down as a retro cult console in about 12 years time. Still, on a positive, there really isn't enough software to warrant putting Wii U guts in the NX for backwards compatability so that will keep the cost down

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

Shinion

I don't get what the RIP means.

Shinion

TuVictus

Looking like all those rumors are getting more and more likely by the day. It had a good life and many quality games, not many people should be disappointed, I say.

TuVictus

Octane

@TheLastLugia: All the Wii U's are programmed to die at the end of 2016, so enjoy your system while you can, it will be unplayable soon

Octane

NintendoFan64

Wait, what' Nikkei?

There is nothing here...except for the stuff I just typed...

3DS Friend Code: 5284-1716-7555 | Nintendo Network ID: michaelmcepic

Shinion

@Octane: AYIIIIIIIIIIIII! But we had so many plans for the future!

But seriously now, that means NX soon, which is something kinda big to be excited for I guess, and people still on the fence about buying a Wii U should be able to capitalise on the massive price drops it should soon get. And that's is most certainly a good thing, because it's a shame that people haven't played some of Nintendo's best games by not owning a Wii U.

So good news then?

Shinion

IceClimbers

The report also mentions that certain Wii U accessories have already ceased production.

If I were to guess, I'd say that those accessories are the high capacity GamePad battery, the GameCube controller adapter, and the Smash Bros GameCube controllers. Might be wrong there though.

jariw

IceClimbers wrote:

They probably stopped a while ago, but this just makes it official.

AFAIK, there's nothing in the Nikkei report that suggest that?

jariw

Haru17

I wonder how long it'll be before the Wii U actually drops in price. Like, seriously.

jariw

Haru17 wrote:

I wonder how long it'll be before the Wii U actually drops in price. Like, seriously.

It will not happen. They tried it for the GC and it didn't pay off.

jariw

Haru17

jariw wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

It will not happen. They tried it for the GC and it didn't pay off.

Well, obviously a lot of things haven't gone Nintendo's way for us to even be at this point. The price will readjust to reflect both modernity and rarity.

IceClimbers

jariw wrote:

IceClimbers wrote:

They probably stopped a while ago, but this just makes it official.

AFAIK, there's nothing in the Nikkei report that suggest that?

That was my own conjecture.

parallaxscroll

It's about time. Wii U has been an utter disaster from the moment it was revealed 5 years ago at E3 2011.

Lets hope NX can turn things around.

Edited on by parallaxscroll

parallaxscroll

Jazzer94

I can see them making a budget Wii U model if NX doesn't have backwards compatibility.

PSN: mangaJman
SSBB FC: 1204-1132-2888
My YouTube
The Jazzloggery
Once you see you can never unsee

3DS Friend Code: 5155-3100-6367 | Nintendo Network ID: Justinius94

Aozz101x

whelp sadly things has to end. and if the Wii U is going to end. might as well put it with a bang.
gosh, i still remember getting my Wii U during Christmas in 2012. glad i got it before it ended it's run.
(no Animal Crossing on Wii U? well then let's hope for NX, or 3DS. and maaaaaaaaaybe mobile if they do it right)

Edited on by Aozz101x

My Top 9 Favorite Games of All time.
1. Judgement
2. Baldur's Gate 3
3. Bully (Rockstar)
4. Person 4 / Golden
5. Sonic Adventure 2
6. Xenoblade X
7. Ape Escape 2
8. Animal Crossing: New Leaf
9. James Bond 007 Nightfire

Switch Friend Code: SW-5070-3616-4044 | 3DS Friend Code: 4828-8466-0472 | My Nintendo: Aozz101x | Twitter:

DefHalan

GrailUK wrote:

Aww. It's so sad. The Wii U will go down as a retro cult console in about 12 years time. Still, on a positive, there really isn't enough software to warrant putting Wii U guts in the NX for backwards compatability so that will keep the cost down

They should still include Backwards Compatibility in some form.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.