Wii U Forum

Topic: My Dreams Were Crushed Today - A Pikmin 3 Rant

Showing 1 to 20 of 62

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Mucher

1. Posted:

Dear Nintendo,

I do not typically post in public forums to complain about petty wishes and selfish desires, or to share my opinion on the internet for that matter, but I was compelled to do so today. What in the world could possibly move me in such a way? I'm almost more than happy to explain this one and made this account for that very purpose.

It seems to me that there are plenty of Pikmin fans at the ready station to exclaim the greatness of the newest member to the franchise. I would tend to agree and have been personally hyped about the game since I first learned of its existence over six months ago. I was hyped at more than the name though. I was excited because of the way I learned of the game's existence.

When I purchased my Wii U it came with a copy of Nintendo Land. Now I'm not sure if anyone else actually played it for longer than 5 minutes, but I found many of the games included pretty fun. Also included in this compilation of mini games was some of the most fun I had experienced in a while. You guessed it, I'm referring to the Pikmin game. Not only did I find it entertaining, but the fact that my non-gamer girlfriend actually picked up a controller wanting to play without even requesting it speaks plenty to me.

We played that game for 12 hours that day. We had a blast. Even after replaying it several times the gameplay just kept right on being fun and mutually enjoyable. That is when I decided to check for a new Pikmin title to be released and found out about Pikmin 3. I could not have been happier.When I realized that the game was supposed to release tomorrow I let out a cry of excitement and enthusiasm. Of course the first thing I did was go to different gaming sites to read reviews, gather information, and hype myself up like a kid on a sugar rush. Oh my, what followed as I read about the story mode not having coop play can only be described as the closest thing to bipolar I think I have ever felt; from ecstatic to angry in under two seconds.

Thus is the reasoning for my post and my astonishment at the fact that this portion of gameplay was somehow neglected at some point during its development. Why would the mini game version of Pikmin on some throw-away title (that screams hype building for a real release of a full version of the game) include such a simple feature then be stripped of it in a full developmental release? The mini game version offered false hopes and almost with a ninja-like reflex promised gameplay that was not included.

I'm not trying to say this makes the game bad for what it is, I'm merely pointing out my frustrations at what it could have been. For what it's worth though, I personally won't be buying this game for this reason alone. If you don't feel what I am explaining here, please go play the Pikmin game on Nintendo Land. I am fairly confident you'll agree that the coop gameplay that's offered on there is a superior method compared to what's included on the actual release.

My only hope at this point is that someone at Nintendo reads this post, passes the message along to the right people, and some coop DLC is released for the game. I know it's not likely to happen and is merely a wishful fantasy, but I felt strongly enough about it that I had to share. I apologize for such a long post. If you made it this far in, thanks for reading. Feel free to let me know your thoughts on this. I only ask that it offer more flavor than 'it has always been a single player game'. As I have explained in my post, this argument is simply not accurate.

Mucher

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Nintendroid5000

2. Posted:

Tl;dr

Pikmin 3 is the best pikmin game yet,. That is all.

Edited on by Nintendroid5000

Nintendroid5000

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Xiao_Pai

3. Posted:

....You're complaining about the fact that the Pikmin game in Nintendo land is different from the main series? :/

I love Erica (Strike Witches), Eureka (Eureka Seven), and Tenma (School Rumble), stay away from them. xD
Update: Also love Yukari and Mizore from Rosario + Vampire.
Another Update: Also Yuuki...from School Rumble...
Yet Another Update: Also Amber and Xiao Pai from Rune Factory 4.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

willobee

4. Posted:

There is both coop and competitive multiplayer in the game. It isn't part of the main story, but rather smaller arenas where you have set goals to accomplish.

NNID: willobee

AuthorMessage
Avatar

BlatantlyHeroic

5. Posted:

You guys could always just take turns....

3DS Friend Code: 0962-9923-0016

AuthorMessage
AvatarStaff

WaLzgi

6. Posted:

Hey Mucher, I need to inform you that Nintendo Life (this website) is not affiliated nor monitored by Nintendo (see disclaimer below). If you are truly concerned about the game, you will have to contact Nintendo directly (via Nintendo.com).

"© 2013 Nintendo Life, part of Nlife Ltd. This site is not affiliated with Nintendo. Hosted by dx.net." (also found at the bottom right of the website page)

Nintendo Life moderator and duck.

My BUY_A_WII_U_loggery

3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Mucher

7. Posted:

Erica_Hartmann wrote:

....You're complaining about the fact that the Pikmin game in Nintendo land is different from the main series? :/

You are oversimplifying the premise of my argument and neglecting the point here. I have to ask, have you played the game I'm referring to? Honestly? Are you truly telling me that the cooperative play offered isn't more fun than some botched time-attack mode? Please be more cohesive with your point.

Mucher

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SamuraiShyGuy

8. Posted:

I doubt Nintendo employees will read this...just gamers. Anyways, yeah, it's a slight bummer it doesn't have co-op in the story mode. With that said, it has a co-op mode and a battle mode, each of which are far superior to the pikmin game in Nintendo Land. If Pikmin 2's battle mode was anything to go by, and based on what I've seen of Pikmin 3's co-op and battle mode, I know I'll be playing Pikmin 3's multiplayer for a looooooooooooong time.

3DS: 0173-1626-4750
Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
Check out my Colors!3D gallery!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Xiao_Pai

9. Posted:

I played the first two....Pikmin 2 ALSO having multiplayer. Nintendo Land is more of a party game, Pikmin 3, is not.

I love Erica (Strike Witches), Eureka (Eureka Seven), and Tenma (School Rumble), stay away from them. xD
Update: Also love Yukari and Mizore from Rosario + Vampire.
Another Update: Also Yuuki...from School Rumble...
Yet Another Update: Also Amber and Xiao Pai from Rune Factory 4.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Mucher

10. Posted:

LzQuacker wrote:

Hey Mucher, I need to inform you that Nintendo Life (this website) is not affiliated nor monitored by Nintendo (see disclaimer below). If you are truly concerned about the game, you will have to contact Nintendo directly (via Nintendo.com).

"© 2013 Nintendo Life, part of Nlife Ltd. This site is not affiliated with Nintendo. Hosted by dx.net." (also found at the bottom right of the website page)

Thank you for that information. I typed 'Nintendo forums' into google. This is what came up. I looked for official forums on the game website, but sadly, there are none. This site looked pretty legit to me with many users. Perhaps Nintendo should hire you guys.

Mucher

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Mickey

11. Posted:

Mucher wrote:

Erica_Hartmann wrote:

....You're complaining about the fact that the Pikmin game in Nintendo land is different from the main series? :/

You are oversimplifying the premise of my argument and neglecting the point here. I have to ask, have you played the game I'm referring to? Honestly? Are you truly telling me that the cooperative play offered isn't more fun than some botched time-attack mode? Please be more cohesive with your point.

He never said that. Stop trying to assimilate him into your way of thinking.

Edited on by Mickey

Formerly MickeyTheGreat and MickMick. Now I'm Mickey again!

The Mousekeloggery

Galaxy Bio (by Dark-Luigi!)

If we've gotten into an argument, it's okay. I'm probably not holding a grudge against you. Why? Because I like you!

Whoomp! There it is! -God, when he created the universe.

Nintendo Network ID: MickeyTheGreat | Twitter: TheMercuryMouse

AuthorMessage
AvatarStaff

WaLzgi

12. Posted:

Nintendo used to have official forums in the US, but they were closed down years ago unfortunately.

Nintendo Life moderator and duck.

My BUY_A_WII_U_loggery

3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Mucher

13. Posted:

He never said that. Stop trying to assimilate him into your way of thinking.

Not at all. I agree with you. In fact he didn't really offer any information at all, which was my point. I am not sure how to interpret his comment.

Mucher

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Mucher

14. Posted:

The_Joker wrote:

You guys could always just take turns....

This is true. I just can't shake the enjoyment of being able to be a hero and press the button to call the other player's pikmin back to me just before getting hit with a killing blow. Or being able to pick them up and throw their pikmin on the boss to beat him down. Competition is fun in its own right. It's just not the same.

Mucher

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SMEXIZELDAMAN

15. Posted:

Video games are just time wasters anyways. Why don't you do something fun with your girlfriend like go on a bike ride or a hike.

Lord Head Admin of SonyLife
♥♥♥Videogames are lame♥♥♥

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Mickey

16. Posted:

Mucher wrote:

Mickey wrote:

He never said that. Stop trying to assimilate him into your way of thinking.

Not at all. I agree with you. In fact he didn't really offer any information at all, which was my point. I am not sure how to interpret his comment.

His comment was very clear. He wanted to know what your point was and you said:

Mucher wrote:

You are oversimplifying the premise of my argument and neglecting the point here. I have to ask, have you played the game I'm referring to? Honestly? Are you truly telling me that the cooperative play offered isn't more fun than some botched time-attack mode? Please be more cohesive with your point.

You asked him, not answering his question, if he's played Nintendo Land's Pikmin game and if he really thinks the "botched time-attack mode" is better than the Nintendo Land Pikmin multiplayer. Now, if you said: "No, I'm saying I wish Pikmin 3 had that multiplayer aspect." that would be different. He'd get the picture, you'd look a lot more credible and I wouldn't have to make this post. Look, I understand your disappointment, I've been there. But the way you're conveying your opinion is a little confusing.

Formerly MickeyTheGreat and MickMick. Now I'm Mickey again!

The Mousekeloggery

Galaxy Bio (by Dark-Luigi!)

If we've gotten into an argument, it's okay. I'm probably not holding a grudge against you. Why? Because I like you!

Whoomp! There it is! -God, when he created the universe.

Nintendo Network ID: MickeyTheGreat | Twitter: TheMercuryMouse

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Xiao_Pai

17. Posted:

I was simply saying that the main Pikmin series isn't a multiplayer/party game. People play it for the single player experience.

I love Erica (Strike Witches), Eureka (Eureka Seven), and Tenma (School Rumble), stay away from them. xD
Update: Also love Yukari and Mizore from Rosario + Vampire.
Another Update: Also Yuuki...from School Rumble...
Yet Another Update: Also Amber and Xiao Pai from Rune Factory 4.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

TheKingOfTown

18. Posted:

Totally agree. The lack of co-op pretty much killed any chance of me buying this game.

Why do people point to their wrists when asking for the time, but don't point to their crotch when they ask where the bathroom is?

PSN ID: CTID16

3DS Friend Code: 1891-1201-0412 | Nintendo Network ID: TheKingOfTown

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Captain_Balko

19. Posted:

Look, Co-Op is fine and dandy, and I would have loved for it to be included, but I think that the idea is that single players would be at a heavy disadvantage in the story mode if Co-Op was included. Think about it. Having two players fire Pikmin from either side of an enemy, the ability to have one player collect Pikmin while the other progresses with the story, et cetera, would make the game far too easy for two people to complete as the game stands. And if they tried to make the game more difficult in order to provide an engaging experience for two players, that would make the game far too difficult for single players. Perhaps there is a way around this, but I'm not sure that Nintendo wanted to allocate valuable researches into this as it may have delayed the game and the Wii U desperately needs a heavy hitter like Pikmin right now.

Captain_Balko

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WiiLovePeace

20. Posted:

Captain_Balko wrote:

Look, Co-Op is fine and dandy, and I would have loved for it to be included, but I think that the idea is that single players would be at a heavy disadvantage in the story mode if Co-Op was included. Think about it. Having two players fire Pikmin from either side of an enemy, the ability to have one player collect Pikmin while the other progresses with the story, et cetera, would make the game far too easy for two people to complete as the game stands. And if they tried to make the game more difficult in order to provide an engaging experience for two players, that would make the game far too difficult for single players. Perhaps there is a way around this, but I'm not sure that Nintendo wanted to allocate valuable researches into this as it may have delayed the game and the Wii U desperately needs a heavy hitter like Pikmin right now.

^^This. I would've liked co-op in the story mode too but I'm sure it would've made the game unbalanced when in single-player.

Currently Playing: Mario & Luigi: Dream Team Bros. (3DS)
Recently Completed: Zelda: Minish Cap (Wii U VC)
Recently Bought: Pac-man Collection (Wii U VC)

3DS Friend Code: 1676-4979-6052 | Nintendo Network ID: WiiLovePeace | Twitter: WiiLovePeace