Forums

Topic: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate - OT

Posts 441 to 460 of 1,519

BenAV

I quite like the underwater fights.
You're fighting a sea monster in their own domain which adds a sense of vulnerability that aren't in the land battles.
Plus it adds a bit of variety which is good.

BenAV

Switch Friend Code: SW-4616-9069-4695 | 3DS Friend Code: 3652-0548-9579 | Nintendo Network ID: Ben_AV | Twitter:

Lan

I think the extra dimension water adds is great, it makes the battles more fun.

Lots of censorship here...
3DS: 1676-4603-1823
Dragon friend safari

Nintendo Network ID: Dylan1

Bankai

SCAR392 wrote:

I noticed there was no explanation to breating underwater either, but I think is possible to hold your breath that long anyways. 4-5 minutes might sound like a long time, but it's possible, even under water pressure. I used to be able to hold my breath for like 2 minutes, even when I wasn't in the best of shape.

No. It isn't. Sean is right in that this is breath holding thing completely, utterly, unrealistic.

The average person can hold their breath underwater for between 1 and 2 minutes, depending on which study you look at. The record is about 9 minutes.

If you include exertion, such as swinging a massive flippin' sword underwater, you cut the length of time you can hold your breath dramatically. Even the most finely trained athletes would need to surface for air after one minute of work underwater, if they can even get that far.

Edited on by Bankai

OverturePT

So, the guy is fighting gigantic monsters, but somehow the breath holding is so unrealistic it has to be mentioned... Really, who the hell cares? Talk about nitpicking...

OverturePT

Bankai

OverturePT wrote:

So, the guy is fighting gigantic monsters, but somehow the breath holding is so unrealistic it has to be mentioned... Really, who the hell cares? Talk about nitpicking...

I don't care. I'm all for suspending disbelief so that the game is actually playable and entertaining.

However, claiming that it's actually possible to swim around underwater and swing a big, heavy sword for a couple of minutes without air? No, that's just silly talk.

Void

Bankai wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

I noticed there was no explanation to breating underwater either, but I think is possible to hold your breath that long anyways. 4-5 minutes might sound like a long time, but it's possible, even under water pressure. I used to be able to hold my breath for like 2 minutes, even when I wasn't in the best of shape.

No. It isn't. Sean is right in that this is breath holding thing completely, utterly, unrealistic.

The average person can hold their breath underwater for between 1 and 2 minutes, depending on which study you look at. The record is about 9 minutes.

If you include exertion, such as swinging a massive flippin' sword underwater, you cut the length of time you can hold your breath dramatically. Even the most finely trained athletes would need to surface for air after one minute of work underwater, if they can even get that far.

Yeah, I have to agree with that, staying underwater fighting a giant creature with a BFS for 10+ minutes would be aubsurd, but if it was realistic, there would be very little of the game left realisticly.

I used to travel the stars, then I discovered Earth, and these incredibly addicting things called 'Video Games.'
And they said you couldn't buy happiness!

Chrono_Cross

Bankai wrote:

OverturePT wrote:

I don't care. I'm all for suspending disbelief so that the game is actually playable and entertaining.

However, claiming that it's actually possible to swim around underwater and swing a big, heavy sword for a couple of minutes without air? No, that's just silly talk.

I think everyone here has an IQ of 70+ and is completely aware of Monster Hunter's unrealistic aspects.

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

OverturePT

Bankai wrote:

OverturePT wrote:

I don't really see the problem, it's not like I'm playing a survival simulation, if that thing even exists. The game is "silly", we're talking about one guy swinging around gigantic weapons and killing gigantic enemies, if the dude is capable of that then surely swinging it underwater should be no problem. The game is what it tries to be, if anything you break your immersion with silly expectations. Have fun, leave the realism to realistic games.

Btw, I'm not talking to you specifically so don't take me the wrong way. We all have opinions, I just can't see the problem on this in a game like MH.

OverturePT

ShadJV

When developing a game, there's a general unspoken rule that if the "realism" substantially hampers gameplay, sacrifice that part of the realism. Up to the game's style whether these things should be left to our suspension of disbelief. Most games can be ripped apart if you refuse to accept every detail that isn't "realistic" without a valid explanation explicitly stated. Some games can still be enjoyable with realistic limited breath but a game like Monster Hunter would be virtually unplayable with underwater segments. Screw realism, it's a fantasy world, maybe humans don't need air in this universe and absorb oxygen in the water through their skin.

Feel free to add me on the Nintendo Network: ShadJV
Here's my 3DS FC, always looking for Pokemon X Friend Safaris: 2191-7643-5167
Peace!

Bankai

OverturePT wrote:

Bankai wrote:

OverturePT wrote:

I don't really see the problem, it's not like I'm playing a survival simulation, if that thing even exists. The game is "silly", we're talking about one guy swinging around gigantic weapons and killing gigantic enemies, if the dude is capable of that then surely swinging it underwater should be no problem. The game is what it tries to be, if anything you break your immersion with silly expectations. Have fun, leave the realism to realistic games.

Btw, I'm not talking to you specifically so don't take me the wrong way. We all have opinions, I just can't see the problem on this in a game like MH.

And, again, it's not a problem.

If Monster Hunter was realistic, it would be boring.

SCRAPPER392

If Monster Hunter was realistic, it wouldn't even exist. Again, the whole point of media is to make fantasy look realistic.
Any one that wants to play a realistic version of Monster Hunter should just go buy Cabela's Dangerous Hunts 2013.

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

Lan

So who all has beaten Plesioth? On the demo? What weapons?

Dragon friend safari

Bankai

SCAR392 wrote:

If Monster Hunter was realistic, it wouldn't even exist. Again, the whole point of media is to make fantasy look realistic.
Any one that wants to play a realistic version of Monster Hunter should just go buy Cabela's Dangerous Hunts 2013.

So... next time don't go and claim that people can actually do what the little characters in Monster Hunter do, ok?

SCRAPPER392

Bankai wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

So... next time don't go and claim that people can actually do what the little characters in Monster Hunter do, ok?

If anything, people in real life can do all the same stuff except hold their breath underwater for 5 minutes. Even still, you even said the record was 9 minutes tops in real life, so how hard is it to expect 5 minutes in a game?

Qwest

Bankai

SCAR392 wrote:

Bankai wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

If anything, people in real life can do all the same stuff except hold their breath underwater for 5 minutes. Even still, you even said the record was 9 minutes tops in real life, so how hard is it to expect 5 minutes in a game?

Some of the weapons of Monster Hunter would be impossible to swing, actually.

Beyond that, I will repeat myself - when you exert yourself underwater, your ability to hold your breath is greatly reduced. Holding your breath while stationary for nine minutes is very different from trying to swim and fight underwater.

SCRAPPER392

How would they be impossible to use? We have no clue how much those weapons weigh. Besides, this obviously a different environment. Who's to say that holding your breath is impossible in the Monster Hunter world?

Qwest

Lan

Insert attempt at changing the subject again here

Dragon friend safari

Bankai

SCAR392 wrote:

How would they be impossible to use? We have no clue how much those weapons weigh. Besides, this obviously a different environment. Who's to say that holding your breath is impossible in the Monster Hunter world?

I'll give you a hint - make a weapon out of metal that is about the size of your body, as porportional to a weapon in Monster Hunter.

Try and swing it.

Metal is heavy, see. That's how I know it would be impossible to swing.

Let's take this one as an example:

Untitled

Now. A lance is utterly useless in combat unless you happen to be mounted on a horse. Why? Because it was way too heavy to swing - a lance did its damage by having the momentum of a running horse behind it.

And yet in Monster Hunter there are people swinging these things like paper swords. lol. No, you can't do that in the real world.

Who's to say that holding your breath is impossible in the Monster Hunter world?

We're talking about being able to hold your breath in the real world while doing what they do in Monster Hunter, though.

And it's impossible to hold your breath underwater while fighting in the real world.

Edited on by Bankai

Void

Lan wrote:

So... What is your favorite weapon?

I personally like the Heavy Bowgun the best, with the Switch Axe coming 2nd, then Sword and Shield coming afterwards.

I used to travel the stars, then I discovered Earth, and these incredibly addicting things called 'Video Games.'
And they said you couldn't buy happiness!

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.