Wii U Forum

Topic: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate

Showing 441 to 460 of 1,506

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Chrono_Cross

441. Posted:

SCAR392 wrote:

I get that video games aren't supposed to ge realistic all the time, but some things can be questionable. Maybe these monster hunters have air tanks in their armor? They do have oxy supplies in the game. When it comes right down to it, there's a difference between realism and abstract realism. There is basically no video game ever that is completely realistic, besides maybe sports games, but even those have glitches.
The whole point of video games is to immerse you in a fantasy world as realisticly as possible.

If that breaks the immersion, then that's a personal problem not the game's.

Edited on by Chrono_Cross

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bankai

442. Posted:

Just the idea of swinging a sword underwater is stupid - and are these guys wearing aqualungs or something? How the hell do they hold their breath so long?

Warriors from medieval Japan were not able to kill thousands of enemies over the course of 15 minutes, either. :P

There are certain parts of 99 per cent of games where it's a good idea to suspend disbelief.

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

443. Posted:

I noticed there was no explanation to breating underwater either, but I think is possible to hold your breath that long anyways. 4-5 minutes might sound like a long time, but it's possible, even under water pressure. I used to be able to hold my breath for like 2 minutes, even when I wasn't in the best of shape.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

444. Posted:

I think it's a good idea to be putting the water fights in, because it shows that you are going to have to fight underwater in the full game if you want to improve in the game. I didn't really mind it.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

BenAV

445. Posted:

I quite like the underwater fights.
You're fighting a sea monster in their own domain which adds a sense of vulnerability that aren't in the land battles.
Plus it adds a bit of variety which is good.

Nintendo Pocket Football Club - Club Name: True Teikoku | Club ID: 9697C6E03

3DS Friend Code: 3652-0548-9579 | Nintendo Network ID: Ben_AV

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Lan

446. Posted:

I think the extra dimension water adds is great, it makes the battles more fun.

Lots of censorship here...
3DS: 1676-4603-1823
Dragon friend safari

Nintendo Network ID: Dylan1

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bankai

447. Posted:

SCAR392 wrote:

I noticed there was no explanation to breating underwater either, but I think is possible to hold your breath that long anyways. 4-5 minutes might sound like a long time, but it's possible, even under water pressure. I used to be able to hold my breath for like 2 minutes, even when I wasn't in the best of shape.

No. It isn't. Sean is right in that this is breath holding thing completely, utterly, unrealistic.

The average person can hold their breath underwater for between 1 and 2 minutes, depending on which study you look at. The record is about 9 minutes.

If you include exertion, such as swinging a massive flippin' sword underwater, you cut the length of time you can hold your breath dramatically. Even the most finely trained athletes would need to surface for air after one minute of work underwater, if they can even get that far.

Edited on by Bankai

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

OverturePT

448. Posted:

So, the guy is fighting gigantic monsters, but somehow the breath holding is so unrealistic it has to be mentioned... Really, who the hell cares? Talk about nitpicking...

OverturePT

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bankai

449. Posted:

OverturePT wrote:

So, the guy is fighting gigantic monsters, but somehow the breath holding is so unrealistic it has to be mentioned... Really, who the hell cares? Talk about nitpicking...

I don't care. I'm all for suspending disbelief so that the game is actually playable and entertaining.

However, claiming that it's actually possible to swim around underwater and swing a big, heavy sword for a couple of minutes without air? No, that's just silly talk.

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Void

450. Posted:

Bankai wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

I noticed there was no explanation to breating underwater either, but I think is possible to hold your breath that long anyways. 4-5 minutes might sound like a long time, but it's possible, even under water pressure. I used to be able to hold my breath for like 2 minutes, even when I wasn't in the best of shape.

No. It isn't. Sean is right in that this is breath holding thing completely, utterly, unrealistic.

The average person can hold their breath underwater for between 1 and 2 minutes, depending on which study you look at. The record is about 9 minutes.

If you include exertion, such as swinging a massive flippin' sword underwater, you cut the length of time you can hold your breath dramatically. Even the most finely trained athletes would need to surface for air after one minute of work underwater, if they can even get that far.

Yeah, I have to agree with that, staying underwater fighting a giant creature with a BFS for 10+ minutes would be aubsurd, but if it was realistic, there would be very little of the game left realisticly.

I used to travel the stars, then I discovered Earth, and these incredibly addicting things called 'Video Games.'
And they said you couldn't buy happiness!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Chrono_Cross

451. Posted:

Bankai wrote:

OverturePT wrote:

So, the guy is fighting gigantic monsters, but somehow the breath holding is so unrealistic it has to be mentioned... Really, who the hell cares? Talk about nitpicking...

I don't care. I'm all for suspending disbelief so that the game is actually playable and entertaining.

However, claiming that it's actually possible to swim around underwater and swing a big, heavy sword for a couple of minutes without air? No, that's just silly talk.

I think everyone here has an IQ of 70+ and is completely aware of Monster Hunter's unrealistic aspects.

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

AuthorMessage
Avatar

OverturePT

452. Posted:

Bankai wrote:

OverturePT wrote:

So, the guy is fighting gigantic monsters, but somehow the breath holding is so unrealistic it has to be mentioned... Really, who the hell cares? Talk about nitpicking...

I don't care. I'm all for suspending disbelief so that the game is actually playable and entertaining.

However, claiming that it's actually possible to swim around underwater and swing a big, heavy sword for a couple of minutes without air? No, that's just silly talk.

I don't really see the problem, it's not like I'm playing a survival simulation, if that thing even exists. The game is "silly", we're talking about one guy swinging around gigantic weapons and killing gigantic enemies, if the dude is capable of that then surely swinging it underwater should be no problem. The game is what it tries to be, if anything you break your immersion with silly expectations. Have fun, leave the realism to realistic games.

Btw, I'm not talking to you specifically so don't take me the wrong way. We all have opinions, I just can't see the problem on this in a game like MH.

OverturePT

AuthorMessage
Avatar

ShadJV

453. Posted:

When developing a game, there's a general unspoken rule that if the "realism" substantially hampers gameplay, sacrifice that part of the realism. Up to the game's style whether these things should be left to our suspension of disbelief. Most games can be ripped apart if you refuse to accept every detail that isn't "realistic" without a valid explanation explicitly stated. Some games can still be enjoyable with realistic limited breath but a game like Monster Hunter would be virtually unplayable with underwater segments. Screw realism, it's a fantasy world, maybe humans don't need air in this universe and absorb oxygen in the water through their skin.

Feel free to add me on the Nintendo Network: ShadJV
Here's my 3DS FC, always looking for Pokemon X Friend Safaris: 2191-7643-5167
Peace!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bankai

454. Posted:

OverturePT wrote:

Bankai wrote:

OverturePT wrote:

So, the guy is fighting gigantic monsters, but somehow the breath holding is so unrealistic it has to be mentioned... Really, who the hell cares? Talk about nitpicking...

I don't care. I'm all for suspending disbelief so that the game is actually playable and entertaining.

However, claiming that it's actually possible to swim around underwater and swing a big, heavy sword for a couple of minutes without air? No, that's just silly talk.

I don't really see the problem, it's not like I'm playing a survival simulation, if that thing even exists. The game is "silly", we're talking about one guy swinging around gigantic weapons and killing gigantic enemies, if the dude is capable of that then surely swinging it underwater should be no problem. The game is what it tries to be, if anything you break your immersion with silly expectations. Have fun, leave the realism to realistic games.

Btw, I'm not talking to you specifically so don't take me the wrong way. We all have opinions, I just can't see the problem on this in a game like MH.

And, again, it's not a problem.

If Monster Hunter was realistic, it would be boring.

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

455. Posted:

If Monster Hunter was realistic, it wouldn't even exist. Again, the whole point of media is to make fantasy look realistic.
Any one that wants to play a realistic version of Monster Hunter should just go buy Cabela's Dangerous Hunts 2013.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Lan

456. Posted:

So who all has beaten Plesioth? On the demo? What weapons?

Lots of censorship here...
3DS: 1676-4603-1823
Dragon friend safari

Nintendo Network ID: Dylan1

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bankai

457. Posted:

SCAR392 wrote:

If Monster Hunter was realistic, it wouldn't even exist. Again, the whole point of media is to make fantasy look realistic.
Any one that wants to play a realistic version of Monster Hunter should just go buy Cabela's Dangerous Hunts 2013.

So... next time don't go and claim that people can actually do what the little characters in Monster Hunter do, ok?

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

458. Posted:

Bankai wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

If Monster Hunter was realistic, it wouldn't even exist. Again, the whole point of media is to make fantasy look realistic.
Any one that wants to play a realistic version of Monster Hunter should just go buy Cabela's Dangerous Hunts 2013.

So... next time don't go and claim that people can actually do what the little characters in Monster Hunter do, ok?

If anything, people in real life can do all the same stuff except hold their breath underwater for 5 minutes. Even still, you even said the record was 9 minutes tops in real life, so how hard is it to expect 5 minutes in a game?

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bankai

459. Posted:

SCAR392 wrote:

Bankai wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

If Monster Hunter was realistic, it wouldn't even exist. Again, the whole point of media is to make fantasy look realistic.
Any one that wants to play a realistic version of Monster Hunter should just go buy Cabela's Dangerous Hunts 2013.

So... next time don't go and claim that people can actually do what the little characters in Monster Hunter do, ok?

If anything, people in real life can do all the same stuff except hold their breath underwater for 5 minutes. Even still, you even said the record was 9 minutes tops in real life, so how hard is it to expect 5 minutes in a game?

Some of the weapons of Monster Hunter would be impossible to swing, actually.

Beyond that, I will repeat myself - when you exert yourself underwater, your ability to hold your breath is greatly reduced. Holding your breath while stationary for nine minutes is very different from trying to swim and fight underwater.

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

460. Posted:

How would they be impossible to use? We have no clue how much those weapons weigh. Besides, this obviously a different environment. Who's to say that holding your breath is impossible in the Monster Hunter world?

$¢@®³’²