Forums

Topic: Metroid Dead?

Posts 121 to 140 of 149

Spoony_Tech

How is Other M a failure? It still sold quite well considering Metroid sells between 1 to 2 million units worldwide on average. Sure I didn't care for it much but I still bought it and that's the bottom line.

If a Metroid doesn't come put on the U or 3ds it will be a HUGH disappointment for me. I really want another Prime style version but I'll also take a side Scroller on my 3ds as well. I can't see this not happening though but if you look at the Japanese sales for it I don't really think it high priority for them at this time sadly.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

Caryslan

Spoony_Tech wrote:

How is Other M a failure? It still sold quite well considering Metroid sells between 1 to 2 million units worldwide on average. Sure I didn't care for it much but I still bought it and that's the bottom line.

If a Metroid doesn't come put on the U or 3ds it will be a HUGH disappointment for me. I really want another Prime style version but I'll also take a side Scroller on my 3ds as well. I can't see this not happening though but if you look at the Japanese sales for it I don't really think it high priority for them at this time sadly.

The issue is that is that Other M did not really start selling until stores dropped the price. I got it in December of that year for about 19.99, a massive drop for a game that came out in August, especially since Nintendo first-party titles rarely drop in price.

Even if Other M managed to sell a million copies, it still lost Nintendo money and was a flop for Nintendo since a good number of those sales came after the price of the game was slashed.

Caryslan

Dreamz

While I'd like to see a new Metroid game in nearly any form, I really, really don't want another Prime installment. Say what you want to about Other M's portrayal of Samus, but the game did a far, far better job of handling the 3D transition than Prime ever dreamed of. It was the first Metroid game I'd played since Super Metroid/Return of Samus that actually felt like Metroid.

Not that Prime was a bad series, mind you. But I do find it to be incredibly overrated and completely lacking in the Metroid feel.

My 3rd Party Games List: Click here
U-Wishlist: Splatoon, Zelda U

Dreamz

Akazury wrote:

So yea are we all kinda forgetting that it has been said that they are discussing/looking into different metriods? Let me find the article.

Here: http://gamerant.com/nintendo-wii-u-3ds-metroid-games/ and NL: https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/06/e3_2014_nintendo_hop...

All the above articles tell us is that any new Metroid installment hasn't even left the drawing board stage. Ergo, the topic question is still valid.

My 3rd Party Games List: Click here
U-Wishlist: Splatoon, Zelda U

SCRAPPER392

Ya, Metroid is still in concept stages or something. I'm pretty sure it won't be another Prime game, though. They basically said that they were done after 3, in a Nintendo Power issue that asked about the Trilogy release, and what that meant for the series. One of Nintendo's in house studios is working on it, I think; not Retro.

So ya, it could be a 3rd person game or something entirely different, because of the gamepad. People getting their hopes high for Prime 4 are setting themselves up for disappointment, if you ask me, based on what I read like 6 years ago and the concepts not even happening at Retro.

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

scottp999

If Metroid is dead, I hope if rises from the grave,,,and soon. Imagine a Super Metroid U that is better than the SNES version Not just a graphics upgrade but a whole new adventure.

Edited on by scottp999

scottp999

Spoony_Tech

Caryslan wrote:

Spoony_Tech wrote:

The issue is that is that Other M did not really start selling until stores dropped the price. I got it in December of that year for about 19.99, a massive drop for a game that came out in August, especially since Nintendo first-party titles rarely drop in price.

Even if Other M managed to sell a million copies, it still lost Nintendo money and was a flop for Nintendo since a good number of those sales came after the price of the game was slashed.

I see where you're coming from there but even if they only sold 500k at full price I still believe they made a nice profit from it. This is Nintendo after all and their AAA titles don't cost them 50 million dollars to make unlike some other companies. Plus let's not forget that even though prices get slashed that Nintendo still got their money. Do you really thing Nintendo sent retailers back 30$ a copy to slash the price to 20$? No, that never happens. The retailer slashes the price to make shelf space so trust me in the fact that Nintendo made more then enough money off of Other M.

Of course it's not as much money as they would like to have made and a good indicator of a good game would be more stock asked for by retailers which more then likely didn't happen unless the initial shipments were on the low side since I'm sure projections were only in the low millions to begin with. So yes Nintendo I'm sure knows it flopped in its own way but still retained most of there money off of it.

Edited on by Spoony_Tech

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

Namco

Yes I can confirm all metroids are dead. I hope this answers your question.

Edited on by Namco

A piece of the Triforce appeared before you! (>'.')> Touch it now!

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2624-1857 | Nintendo Network ID: Acegamer-62

TuVictus

I just want a Metroid Prime game with online multiplayer like the DS game had. My personal game of the generation right there

TuVictus

Ryno

SCAR392 wrote:

Ya, Metroid is still in concept stages or something. I'm pretty sure it won't be another Prime game, though. They basically said that they were done after 3, in a Nintendo Power issue that asked about the Trilogy release, and what that meant for the series. One of Nintendo's in house studios is working on it, I think; not Retro.

So ya, it could be a 3rd person game or something entirely different, because of the gamepad. People getting their hopes high for Prime 4 are setting themselves up for disappointment, if you ask me, based on what I read like 6 years ago and the concepts not even happening at Retro.

Come on @SCAR392, update your info man. 6 year old Nintendo Power references from memory don't cut it in 2014. "Prime" is still very much a possibility.

Shinya Takahashi, Nintendo: So it has been a while since we released the last one and we're having discussions internally about what we can do next. So at this point we have two different types of Metroid games. We have the Prime style of Metroid game and we have the more traditional style of Metroid game. We feel that we do need to take care of both of these styles of play. And the hope is that at some point in the near future we'll be able to share something about them.
Miyamoto: I have the New Super Mario Bros. series [for 2D], so I like Prime. I think there's still a lot of new things that could be done with the Prime series.

Source: http://kotaku.com/nintendo-is-planning-a-future-for-both-2d-a...

Edited on by Ryno

To blessed to be stressed.
80's music makes me feel fabulous.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

ogo79

@Ryno
yer killed metroid didnt you?

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

Octane

Ryno wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

Come on @SCAR392, update your info man. 6 year old Nintendo Power references from memory don't cut it in 2014. "Prime" is still very much a possibility.

Shinya Takahashi, Nintendo: So it has been a while since we released the last one and we're having discussions internally about what we can do next. So at this point we have two different types of Metroid games. We have the Prime style of Metroid game and we have the more traditional style of Metroid game. We feel that we do need to take care of both of these styles of play. And the hope is that at some point in the near future we'll be able to share something about them.
Miyamoto: I have the New Super Mario Bros. series [for 2D], so I like Prime. I think there's still a lot of new things that could be done with the Prime series.

Metroid Prime style =/= Metroid Prime. Personally I think they're done with the trilogy. Time to move on.. (just like with Mario Galaxy 3).

I think he meant a 3D first person adventure shooter when he said ''Prime style'', because let's be honest, the only real first person Metroid games, are the Prime games. We can have a 3D Metroid that plays like Prime, but isn't a Metroid Prime game, can't we?

Octane

Bolt_Strike

Octane wrote:

Ryno wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

Metroid Prime style =/= Metroid Prime. Personally I think they're done with the trilogy. Time to move on.. (just like with Mario Galaxy 3).

I think he meant a 3D first person adventure shooter when he said ''Prime style'', because let's be honest, the only real first person Metroid games, are the Prime games. We can have a 3D Metroid that plays like Prime, but isn't a Metroid Prime game, can't we?

I don't think a lot of people care whether or not it's a proper storyline sequel, they just want to see the gameplay style again.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

GuSolarFlare

Octane wrote:

Ryno wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

but it isn't impossible to get a new Metroid Prime game, Hunters is not part of the Metroid Prime Trilogy, but it's still a Metroid Prime game.

goodbyes are a sad part of life but for every end there's a new beggining so one must never stop looking forward to the next dawn
now working at IBM as helpdesk analyst
my Backloggery

3DS Friend Code: 3995-7085-4333 | Nintendo Network ID: GustavoSF

unrandomsam

The new Metroid game should be - Project Giant Robot. Samus vs Metroid. (There is no doubt if Metroid was added then more people would get that game. Same as a Zelda Reskin for Dynasty Warriors will do better than the original).

Edited on by unrandomsam

“30fps Is Not a Good Artistic Decision, It's a Failure”
Freedom of the press is for those who happen to own one.

Ryno

unrandomsam wrote:

The new Metroid game should be - Project Giant Robot. Samus vs Metroid. (There is no doubt if Metroid was added then more people would get that game. Same as a Zelda Reskin for Dynasty Warriors will do better than the original).

Untitled

To blessed to be stressed.
80's music makes me feel fabulous.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

doctor_doak

It'll be a spiritual successor to the Prime series, developed by Retro Studios, produced by Miyamoto, and released in 2016. I know this because my uncle works at Nintendo .

Edited on by doctor_doak

doctor_doak

Socar

I would like to see a sequel to Metroid Fusion on 3DS seeing that Fusion does a lot of things right. Sure it was completely linear but if the map is short and it had that non-linear style like Super Metroid, then this one would do great.

It would be stupid to see Nintendo giving up on Metroid so easily especially after only one game that didn't sell well besides the others. Also I want to ask, How well is Metroid doing in Japan? Does Japan have a decent Metroid fanbase because from what I read, Metroid sells lower in Japan compared to US and Europe.

After so long...I'm back. Don't ask why

Nintendo Network ID: ArtwarkSwark | Twitter:

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.