Forums

Topic: Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash - OT

Posts 221 to 240 of 249

Rexcalibr

Played the game for a bit and kind of got bored of it and put it down. I still can't get over that Bowser Jr. is in his clown kart. It looks so wrong in a tennis game.

Anyway, as my first Mario Tennis game, it's really not that exciting and seems like kind of a flop, just like Mario Party 10. If you play a multiplayer game with your friends, Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros are probably going to be a lot more fun.

Rexcalibr

Peek-a-boo

@Rexcalibr: Not that I have any right in questioning how you spend your money, but did you really pay $60 for this on the eShop?!

Surely the middling reviews were enough to make you wait until the game was (a lot) cheaper.

Peek-a-boo

SuperWiiU

Rexcalibr wrote:

Played the game for a bit and kind of got bored of it and put it down. I still can't get over that Bowser Jr. is in his clown kart. It looks so wrong in a tennis game.

Anyway, as my first Mario Tennis game, it's really not that exciting and seems like kind of a flop, just like Mario Party 10. If you play a multiplayer game with your friends, Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros are probably going to be a lot more fun.

Don't say you weren't warned.

KB90

Guys who have the game, is it worth getting an amiibo for it?

KB90

Rexcalibr

Peek-a-boo wrote:

@Rexcalibr: Not that I have any right in questioning how you spend your money, but did you really pay $60 for this on the eShop?!

Surely the middling reviews were enough to make you wait until the game was (a lot) cheaper.

Nope, I have a bad habit of buying games, even when they get bad reviews because I am soooo curious to play them for myself and seeing videos on youtube adds more fuel to the fire. I did this with Mario Party 10 too and I barely even played it.

Rexcalibr

TeeJay

Rexcalibr wrote:

Peek-a-boo wrote:

Nope, I have a bad habit of buying games, even when they get bad reviews because I am soooo curious to play them for myself and seeing videos on youtube adds more fuel to the fire. I did this with Mario Party 10 too and I barely even played it.

I don't see how watching videos of boring, generic gameplay will add fuel to the fire. If anything it should throw a damp cloth over it.

If you add me, I need to at least know you or I won't add you back.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5283-4033-0929 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-1923-3519 | Nintendo Network ID: TeeJay92

BakaKnight

Downloaded yesterday evening, I was a bit afraid after all the reviews, but after starting it up I had an hard time even putting it down for going to bed XD
The gameplay is definitly there, fun as ever and I have the feeling Camelot twisted a lot the codes and phisics, or maybe they even rebuilded them from start; The experience definitely feels more solid on the court. I'm not even having an issue with tne "lack" of modes, but maybe is because I never fully appreciated Tournaments and Minigames, I always played those the minimun required or less for then focus on matches and here there are three variants of tennis matches. Maybe not the most offered by the serie, but I can't see myself getting bored soon either.

Even the stadium is not a full let down, filled with extra characters following the match (like cameratoad following the players and a Lakitu ready to fish the balls on the net, even if weirdly he moves more rarily then it should), still a shame they didn't do more with the scenary, but between the lively place and the main cast animated perfectly it's pretty easy to forget that the stadium never change.

It's surely not a 100% perfect game and a couple of misses like the absence of online with friends or the amiibo left out of some modes for no reason are a shock, but to those loving this franchise I see no reason for skip this or wait too long, especially to those that loved or liked Open, I'm not gonna dare to say Ultra Smash is better or on par with older entries (played them, but the many differences makes a comparison not so easy), but compared to Open it surely feels like Ultra Smash is a step forward and more under many aspects (I wanted to say "every" aspect, but the online with friends is a Open exclusive >.>; ).

Edited on by BakaKnight

BakaKnight

Nintendo Network ID: Ryudaki

OorWullie

@BakaKnight: Cheers for that.I'm extremely close to purchasing myself.How is the online,have you had any trouble finding opponents and has it been lag free?

đŸ‡Ŧ🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹ī¸ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹ī¸

BakaKnight

@OorWullie: So far I played single matches both exibithion and ranked with different rules and lenghts and I had no issue finding opponents, there was always someone ready to play.
Regarding the lag I'm not sure I did enough matches to use the word "usually", but at the time being I had mostly lag free matches. Plus when an opponent is found you can see his/her connection state and decide if play or leave with no penalty.

For now I would dare to say that the online in Ultra Smash is pretty solid and works well ^^ (Obviously if we ignore the "detail" that they forgot the option to play with friends XD; ).

Edited on by BakaKnight

BakaKnight

Nintendo Network ID: Ryudaki

OorWullie

@BakaKnight: Thanks,that's enough for me.If the online was broken then it's not much use to me.I'm annoyed that the maximum length of a match is 2 games/1 set with no rematch but never mind.Maybe friends and rematch option will be patched in later.I'll be downloading later tonight.

đŸ‡Ŧ🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹ī¸ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹ī¸

veeflames

@BakaKnight: Nice to know you enjoyed the game.
I was actually hyped for this, but I can't really see myself buying the game now, at least not at this stage. I'm very sure Ultra Smash's solid fun, but the lack of content is sure to make me drop the game very fast (that's what hapened with Open). And you can't make friend lobbies for some silly reason. I'll probably get it when DLC fills in the missing gaps or the game goes on sale, but I'll sadly be passing on this one...

God first.
My Switch FC: SW824410196326

3DS Friend Code: 1134-8006-9637 | Nintendo Network ID: VolcanoFlames

KB90

I can't see my stats? How many games have I won/lost since I've been playing? I've discovered that having an Amiibo is pretty pointless. Disappointed to be honest.

KB90

GoldenGamer88

Played it for a few hours now and while I haven't tried everything out and won't rate the game on my own now, I can say that if there's one thing I hate about this game, it's these challenges. Not to say they were that hard to do but what's the point in having a challenge when you might as well complete it by paying like 3000 coins you get after a few matches!? It's the same pempering sh*t that annoys me to no end in Mario Party 10! "Oh, you can't do that challenge? Here let me help you!" I mean, where's the feeling of reward and progress when you buy these unlocks!? Your players will never get better at the game when you pemper them to completion, Nintendo!

Edited on by GoldenGamer88

Join the NL Inklings Discord Server: https://discord.gg/5gf7xg3

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-8427-0621-0325, Username: Montillo
PSN: Montillo88

Nintendo Network ID: Montillo

Anthracks

I didn't mind getting this game on launch because I get it for $39.99 with Best Buy Gamer's Club. It will be a fun distraction for my little brothers and I.

Anthracks

bluemage1989

What are peoples opinions on this now we've had it a while??

bluemage1989

bluemage1989

What are peoples opinions on this now we've had it a while??

bluemage1989

Lycidas

got the game today quite cheap (26â‚Ŧ) and looking forward to local multiplayer, which seems the only good feature of the game - and was the reason I got it first place. Played some online, and it was really laggy and choppy (might be connexion issues on my end, I don't know), if and when I got an opponent. Luckily, the matches were short, because my opponents were mostly just using y-shots and going for smashes, which was everything but enjoyable.

3DS Friend Code: 0662 - 2569 - 8444 Nintendo Network ID: Dedalion
Pocket football club: Hebel 05 FC ID: 6788BCBD4

Super Mario Maker Levels

Nintendo Network ID: Dedalion

Rexcalibr

@bluemage1989:

I owned it opening day. The game has its charm and is fun but it gets boring and repetitive very quickly. It's not really worth owning.

Rexcalibr

Octane

Price already dropped to â‚Ŧ35, I'm probably picking it up when it gets below 20. Shouldn't take too long..

Octane

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.