Forums

Topic: Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash - OT

Posts 201 to 220 of 249

SuperWiiU

arronishere wrote:

SuperWiiU wrote:

Average score so far: 57%
http://www.gamerankings.com/wii-u/168676-mario-tennis-ultra-s...
http://www.metacritic.com/game/wii-u/mario-tennis-ultra-smash

Confirming what we already knew. It's very bare-bones with very little to unlock.
On the plus side: It looks great and the local multiplayer seems good.

Luckily paid DLC will be coming soon to sort that out!

How did you get an average of 57%? There's two reviews on Metacritic and they are 60 and 70 so it should be 65%.

I used Gamerankings, which has over 10 reviews and is averaging 57%.

veeflames

Grumblevolcano wrote:

@DiscoGentleman: Not possible, the matchmaking online is only with random people. No friend lobbies are confirmed via GameXplain's stream.

Wut.
Is Nintendo trying to do what they did with Splatoon? Release bits of the game as time progresses?
Why in heaven's name can we not set up friend lobbies?! Welp, there goes organizing friend matches in the Multiplayer Organization Thread....

God first.
My Switch FC: SW824410196326

3DS Friend Code: 1134-8006-9637 | Nintendo Network ID: VolcanoFlames

00a

Gamexplain just posted his review of Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash.

Also it's funny how the original had 16 with extra transfer characters and 12 bonus Mario Courts.
The GCN version had 18 characters and 8 bonus Mario Courts.
The GBA version had just under 40 characters.
The DS version had 18 characters plus a bunch of color changes and 8 bonus Mario Courts.
Ultra Smash has an unprecedented 16 characters and 3-5 bonus courts. .......Is having less content in games is the new thing now?

I know now, without a doubt, Keyloggery is light!
I make stupid videos

Jazzer94

Pity that this seems rushed can't see myself buying it for a long time.

PSN: mangaJman
SSBB FC: 1204-1132-2888
My YouTube
The Jazzloggery
Once you see you can never unsee

3DS Friend Code: 5155-3100-6367 | Nintendo Network ID: Justinius94

Peek-a-boo

Sad to say that I am quite pleased I cancelled my pre-order in time. Terrible reviews all round.

ÂŖ40 is a ridiculous amount of money to pay for a game as barebones as this, especially considering you cannot even play with or against your friends online!

Only bought three games for my Wii U this year; Runbow, Splatoon and Year Walk.

Sadly, this has been a rather forgettable year for the Wii U.

Peek-a-boo

Grumblevolcano

@DiscoGentleman: It definitely has felt like 2) has been very prominent for Wii U with rushing being a resulting factor. Look at some of the examples:

• MK8's battle mode is just on racetracks, no battle arenas to be seen (though outside that, there being a lot of great content including 2 content heavy DLC releases for a very small price)
  • Smash had a lot of repeats from Brawl, both in the form of Brawl stages and Melee stages that appeared in Brawl (I feel the DLC has massively improved the value of the game though)
  • Mario Party 10 has less content than all the previous games in the franchise
  • Splatoon's launch content was absolutely abysmal (the free updates have mostly improved the situation, could do with stage rotation improvements)
  • Super Mario Maker is missing very important features like slopes that would make stages much more interesting
  • Animal Crossing amiibo Festival is an absolute cash grab, shouldn't have existed but rather the figures being created for Happy Home Designer
  • Mario Tennis Ultra Smash (see Mario Party 10)

If you think about it, all of these potential rushed situations have ended up a result of the giant 2013 game drought which was caused by 3rd parties like EA, Activision and Ubisoft abandoning the Wii U.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

veeflames

@Yellowkoopa: Underneath the purpose of most DLC is to cover up the fact that the game had less to cover, really.
@Grumblevolcano I think you're assuming that the excluded content of some games was a result of 'rushing.' For starters, how do you know slopes was originally intended in Mario Kart, much less it was cut because Nintendo didn't have time to put it in? The same goes for Mario Kart 8 and proper battle mode stages; how do we know they were intended to be in the game in the first place? Smash Bros., although it was incomplete, felt complete at launch (that's one of the reasons I don't even want to buy Smash DLC) to me.
The rest, I can agree with. Splatoon was totally playable at launch, though. It's really a shame that Mario Tennis is lacking in content, because I wanted to give the game a chance this holiday season. Oh well, I haven't gotten Mario Maker yet, so that'll fill in the gaps.

God first.

Grumblevolcano

@VeeFlamesNL: Regarding slopes, the Smash DLC stage "Super Mario Maker" is enough of a hint that they will come later along with some other features that aren't in Super Mario Maker yet. Why would a Smash stage based on a game contain features which aren't ever going to be in said game?

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

DefHalan

Grumblevolcano wrote:

@VeeFlamesNL: Regarding slopes, the Smash DLC stage "Super Mario Maker" is enough of a hint that they will come later along with some other features that aren't in Super Mario Maker yet. Why would a Smash stage based on a game contain features which aren't ever going to be in said game?

Because it is a level inspired/based on a game, not a level ripped from the game. I haven't played all levels in all Fire Emblem games but I don't remember a level that changes every few minutes.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

veeflames

@Grumblevolcano The Mario Maker stage in Smash Bros. is a Smash Bros. stage, first and foremost. And Smash Bros. stages either have slopes and/or platforms. That isn't difficult to figure out.
Slopes DLC might be coming for Mario Maker, but saying it was cut out and then coming as DLC because Smash Bros. said so is a bit of a stretch, isn't it?

God first.

Grumblevolcano

@DefHalan: Assuming by the changing every few minutes you're referring to Coliseum and Arena Ferox, while there's isn't one that changes every few minutes there's a few which change after every turn or few turns. Most of these occur in Awakening.

Grumblevolcano

DefHalan

@Grumblevolcano: I was actually referring to Castle Siege where the entire level changes.

Grumblevolcano

@DefHalan: That is simply the characters being warped to different parts of the castle so in the case of the Fire Emblem series, those transitions would be essentially progressing between 3 chapters.

Grumblevolcano

DefHalan

@Grumblevolcano: But that isn't how it is represented in the game. So you can't really use Smash Bros as a way to judge how things work in the other games.

Rexcalibr

Well, every review on the game has been pretty poor, which is disappointing but I'm still looking forward to it since I've never played a Mario Tennis game. I enjoyed Virtua Tennis on the DreamCast, so if it's anything like that, I'll probably have some fun with it.

Rexcalibr

OorWullie

Anyone downloaded this yet? I was really close to taking the plunge earlier but then read the max length of an online match is 2 games/1 set.It just keeps getting worse! Also with the few modes there is all using separate lobbies and the inability to have a rematch ,it might mean long waits between matches.I'll wait for the NL review to see how it shapes up but I'm not hopeful.A bit gutted about this as I was looking forward to finally having an online sports game.They might be considering adding content in the future but if it bombs,which it likely will due to bad reviews we may never see it.

đŸ‡Ŧ🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹ī¸ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹ī¸

OorWullie

@DiscoGentleman: I hope so,they'll have a cheek if they try charging us for it though.If they were going to add free content like with Splatoon you'd think they'd have mentioned it?It would certainly have helped counter a lot of the criticism it's had.It's a shame really as most of the reviews I've read said the core game is as fun as ever,if not better.The fact they've gone to the effort of building a whole new engine for it which looks great tells me it was originally going to have much more to it.

Edited on by OorWullie

đŸ‡Ŧ🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹ī¸ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹ī¸

Rexcalibr

The game should be downloaded at 9PM since I'm in California and I'll play it and post a review on here.

Rexcalibr

Rexcalibr

Just started playing the game. So far, I like it best in Classic mode, no chance shots and no mega mushrooms. Then it plays just like a regular tennis game, and plays similar to Virtua Tennis.

The mega mushrooms last way too long.

The game feels pretty bare and the roster is way too small. They should have had more characters. Mario Kart 8 has a huge roster. This should too.

The online so far isn't working, I'm guessing because the game just released a few minutes ago. I feel like the game would be a lot more fun for me if I was playing locally with friends in a doubles match.

Rexcalibr

00a

It's quite amazing that Mario Tennis for GBA has more content than this.

I know now, without a doubt, Keyloggery is light!
I make stupid videos

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.