Forums

Topic: Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash - OT

Posts 181 to 200 of 249

SuperWiiU

Grumblevolcano wrote:

@SuperWiiU: This is one of the few occasions I disagree, sure there's that famous Miyamoto quote and it likely does fit here but Nintendo's lineup is pretty much non-existent as it is. If you want a new Wii U game, what's left?

• Animal Crossing amiibo Festival which is pretty much an amiibo cash grab.
  • Xenoblade Chronicles X of which it won't provide any meaningful sales because of being niche.
  • (US only) Devil's Third of which given the EU release, most know its already garbage.

This is probably one of those situations where having a bunch of GC remasters would've helped a lot (e.g. Twilight Princess, Super Mario Sunshine) especially as Wind Waker HD is still in the top 10 best selling Wii U games. Also, a Direct to show off DLC for big already existing games like Splatoon, Super Mario Maker and Smash.

Sure, Ultra Smash is basically the only thing left, but do people want a barebones game like this as their only holiday Wii U game? A few GC Remasters, discount Nintendo Selects of key Wii U titles and some solid extra content for the existing 2015 games would've been much better.

CM30

Yeah, nearly ANYTHING would have been better than this game.

Still, at least you've got Xenoblade Chronicles X as an alternative Wii U game to buy. And in Europe, you've got Mario & Luigi Paper Jam for a 3DS one to spend money on instead. There probably isn't much reason to bother with this title over any of those.

Try out Gaming Reinvented, my new gaming forum and website!
Also, if you're a Wario series fan, check out Wario Forums today! Your only place for Wario series discussion!
My 3DS Friend Code: 4983-5165-4...

Twitter:

Mister_Wu

@CM30: This is however a very good reason to delay it so it isn't as barebone as it appears now.

@SuperWiiU @Grumblevolcano: I am still wondering why Nintendo didn't use Wii mode to allow playing digitally bought and downloaded GameCube games. After all, the eShop and Wii U mode infrastructure is there (Wii titles created it), apparently a few changes to Wii mode would have been needed.

EDIT: I should never judge a game I have not played...

Edited on by Mister_Wu

Mister_Wu

Grumblevolcano

@SuperWiiU: Better than nothing though, that's the key thing to note. I do agree that Nintendo should've used delaying the game and put remasters and DLC in its place. Twilight Princess HD for example would likely sell even better than Splatoon.

@Mister_Wu I purposely didn't mention Mario Kart 8 because I think it's almost certain there's no more DLC, not even more amiibo racing suits.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

BraveSonic

It seems like I'm the only who actually is considering getting this game for Christmas.

I like Smash Wii U over Melee. FIGHT ME.
I'm addicted to amiibo. Full collection of the Smash series....help me....please...
Also, I like to go fast, really fast.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5714-9219-9497
Nintendo Network ID: ChandlerHolman01

3DS Friend Code: 0103-9570-7604 | Nintendo Network ID: ChandlerHolman01

Nintendo_Ninja

I'm hyped for this.

Nintendo ID Network: Nintendo_Ninja
Mario Maker ID: LR5-VQV-THG

Mister_Wu

Well, there is a positive thing about this game: they finally remade the characters models and lightings for the artworks!
Not only is the lighting and shading much better (that was partly true for the new artwork of Mario Party: Island Tour as well), but the models are more detailed: look at Yoshi's shoes, or Mario's, Luigi's and Wario's outfits, including the gloves! The "M" and "L" are particularly lovely!

Edit: now that I'm looking closely at Mario Kart 8 artwork, it was that game that introduced many updated models used in these artworks (SSB4 uses slightly different models, if you look at Yoshi's shoes you'll see what I mean), still in my opinion the lighting and shading used in artwork for that game does not look as impressive as that of Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash artworks!

Edited on by Mister_Wu

Mister_Wu

KB90

Which Amiibos will I need to buy? Will the ones from Smash Bros work?
Thank you.

KB90

Hendesu

Oh god no. I thought we can have a game without any kind of metal Mario, but I was wrong.
So what next? Sliver Mario? Raccoon & Cat Mario? Shiny metal platinum doctor super raccoon Mario with the ability of flight? When will the clones stop?

Some random dude on Nintendo Life.
Toriel left for a while, so Freaky Fred took over her place!
Not changing this part of the signature until Nintendo announces Super Mario Sunshine 2.
[Started 10/31/15]

Nintendo Network ID: DarkSperow

Waluigifan

First review (the official websites displays a 404 error message so I had to access that page via Google Cache) :
"http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-11-17-mario-tennis-ultra-smash-review"

I'm not getting it. If I want to play a good Tennis game online, I'll just play Mario Power Tennis on the Dolphin Emulator with Netplay.

Edited on by Waluigifan

A horrible thing has crossed my path. Dark forebodings of a cruel, threatening fate tower over me like dark clouds, which no friendly sunbeam can penetrate.

Nintendo Network ID: waluigisrevenge | Twitter:

Grumblevolcano

I'm having a really tough time deciding between this and Xenoblade X (1 to buy at launch and 1 to ask for Christmas). Here's my analysis so far:

Mario Tennis Ultra Smash
Negatives

• Small roster
  • Not many modes
  • Can't rely on the online multiplayer being active

Positives

• Does not require additional downloads to make game work as it should
  • No good tennis game playable on Wii U yet (talking about base gameplay)
  • amiibo functionality sounds fun
  • Rather cheap

Xenoblade X
Negatives

• Major downgrade when data packs are not installed, can't seem to get 15GB of space.
  • May get overlooked as a result of the Smash Direct.
  • Releases 2 weeks later than Mario Tennis Ultra Smash.
  • More expensive.

Positives

• Significantly longer game (could by itself potentially last the large game drought between XCX and Twilight Princess HD)
  • The contents of the special edition
  • Cheesy British voice acting
  • No RPGs on Wii U so far
  • Single player not spoiled yet as I don't understand Japanese at all

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

SuperWiiU

I doubt Mario Tennis will last you until XCX with just the single player, and if the online isn't very active you're better off asking it for Christmas. You might not have completed XCX by Christmas and you can mix it up a little if you need an RPG break.

I didn't know about the data packs for XCX. It sounds horrible, you can't even install them from the disc, but need to download them the eShop, making for an even slower, more awkward experience than the concept itself already is.I really hope the loading times aren't that bad without it.

Grumblevolcano

@SuperWiiU: Thanks for your view on the situation, I decided that as I largely overestimated the file size of my main Xbox One game (Rock Band 4) that I would repurpose my XB1's external hard drive for use with Wii U. That way I transfer all my VC games over to the external and hence have enough space for both the 15GB data packs and whatever crazy DLC Sakurai gives us next month. Mario Tennis will be for my Christmas list.

Grumblevolcano

Rexcalibr

I know a lot of people are disappointed so far on this game but I'm kind of excited for it. I already purchased it on a digital download and pre downloaded it. I have to work Saturday and Sunday because the military base I'm stationed at is doing some stupid mock exercise that I have to participate in so I can't stay up all night playing it.

I have Monday off though.

Rexcalibr

SuperWiiU

Rexcalibr wrote:

I know a lot of people are disappointed so far on this game but I'm kind of excited for it.

There isn't a lot (of content) to get excited about anymore. I was excited from the announcement until the previews, but when I read there's hardly any content in the game I cancelled my pre-order. I don't support bare bones games.

jump

SuperWiiU wrote:

Average score so far: 57%
http://www.gamerankings.com/wii-u/168676-mario-tennis-ultra-s...
http://www.metacritic.com/game/wii-u/mario-tennis-ultra-smash

Confirming what we already knew. It's very bare-bones with very little to unlock.
On the plus side: It looks great and the local multiplayer seems good.

Luckily paid DLC will be coming soon to sort that out!

How did you get an average of 57%? There's two reviews on Metacritic and they are 60 and 70 so it should be 65%. Actually never mind you've used gameranking.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.