Forums

Topic: Mario Party 10 - OT

Posts 381 to 398 of 398

Rexcalibr

I still like the game, mostly because I just like the charm from Nintendo characters and I think it's visually appealing and a cute game. I still think it can be fun but I can't find three other people to play it with who feel the same way. It's too slow paced for them. My uncle's response to the game was "I hope you didn't pay for this."

I think the party bus and linear game boards really hurt it.

Rexcalibr

UGXwolf

Rexcalibr wrote:

I still like the game, mostly because I just like the charm from Nintendo characters and I think it's visually appealing and a cute game. I still think it can be fun but I can't find three other people to play it with who feel the same way. It's too slow paced for them. My uncle's response to the game was "I hope you didn't pay for this."

I think the party bus and linear game boards really hurt it.

Absolutely. Couldn't agree more. Honestly, as a long-time Mario Party player, I can't help but feel the game is incredibly condescending. "Oh, don't worry about rolling, strategy, routing, collecting coins or getting stars. We'll take care of all of that for you. Just shake the Wiimote and the game will play itself." Seriously, unless the game is intentionally difficult, you do NOT want your players to think that your game is mocking them. Ever. Don't do it, guys! We're smarter than you give us credit for. I understood Mario Party perfectly when I was five, and I don't doubt that five-year-olds today can still do the same.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

Rexcalibr

Agreed.

Nintendo has gotten into a habit of making things too easy and holding the players hand in the last few years. White Tanooki suits and Luigi CPU competing stages for you, check points, and things like that are a little insulting.

My hopes for the next Mario Party game are:

• get rid of amiibo boards
  • get rid of the party bus
  • stop making all the boards so linear
  • make more of the mini games competitive instead of based on luck or brain games. Get rid of motion control all together if it was up to me because the best games are always the ones you play with the D-pad and the pro controller is just a better controller.

it shouldn't be a hard thing to do.

Edited on by Rexcalibr

Rexcalibr

UGXwolf

Check points aren't hand holding. It's just there to take an possible stage and make it doable. DKCR would be nearly impossible without check points. And at least the super guide stuff is optional (just wish the option was whether it was offered in the first place. I can do this stage just fine, thanks!

Mario Party 10 is a dofferent story altogether. You can't do anything on your own. Even the most clueless players stand a decent chance. You shouldn't disregard skill altogether, even in a board game. The game seems to think its audience has never played a game before. That's what bothers me.

DefHalan

UGXwolf wrote:

Check points aren't hand holding. It's just there to take an possible stage and make it doable. DKCR would be nearly impossible without check points. And at least the super guide stuff is optional (just wish the option was whether it was offered in the first place. I can do this stage just fine, thanks!

Mario Party 10 is a dofferent story altogether. You can't do anything on your own. Even the most clueless players stand a decent chance. You shouldn't disregard skill altogether, even in a board game. The game seems to think its audience has never played a game before. That's what bothers me.

In what way do you think Mario Party treats its players like they have never played a game before? I have played it a lot with my wife, she hasn't won yet but I never felt like the game was treating me like I had never played a game before.

I also like the cart aspect and how the boards are set up like little adventures. I just wish there were more boards.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

UGXwolf

DefHalan wrote:

UGXwolf wrote:

In what way do you think Mario Party treats its players like they have never played a game before? I have played it a lot with my wife, she hasn't won yet but I never felt like the game was treating me like I had never played a game before.

I also like the cart aspect and how the boards are set up like little adventures. I just wish there were more boards.

In past Mario Party games, every player was allowed to go in whatever direction they chose to try and reach the most advantageous position they could, generally following the star, but not always. Your position on the next turn wasn't decided entirely by your opponent's luck, though that's not to say your opponents couldn't affect your position in some ways. The party bus is probably my least favorite addition to any Mario Party game. It takes nearly all skill out of the equation and throws pacing out the window completely. I will grant that MP10's boards work better with the party bus than MP9's boards did. They're designed better and pace out more evenly, but at the end of the day, I can't get over the fact that all you do ever is roll and occasionally make a relatively arbitrary choice of which path you go down. Sometimes choose a chest with no insight whatsoever as to what may or may not be in it other than a vague idea of the odds with all the same chances being strapped to every chest.

If that weren't bad enough, it really feels like they phoned it in on content. The Mario Party boards are great and whimsical and innovative and well-designed, but there's so few of them. Then they use three of those boards for Bowser Party. Not even any new ones. Just the same three boards you played in the "main" mode. And the Amiibo boards are just plain lazy. I like the interchangable parts mechanic, but you couldn't even give us any options?!?! REALLY?!! No, it's always 10 turns and the board is always a square and the effects of each board are unique, sure, but they have little to no effect on the full game like they had in the older games because the game is so short that it's almost impossible to tell if you actually enjoyed it or not.

The only thing, and I mean the ONLY thing I enjoyed about MP10 is the mini-games. There are some very good mini-games in MP10. Just too bad they're so uncommon. You can go an entire board without playing more than two mini-games. That's not a good thing, when the mini-games are the best part of the game. I played this alongside three of my friends and the two that weren't Nintendo gamers got bored 2/3 of the way through one map. And the other one that's a long-standing Nintendo fan like me was even more pissed at the changes than I was. If the game isn't aimed at new players and it isn't aimed at old players, who the hell is it aimed at?

I asked my friend what his thoughts were about the new Mario Party and he gave me the exact same response I'm giving here: condescending. They've watered down the core game board to the point that even its horribly shortened pacing can't keep people entertained. The content feels stretched so thin, that I haven't played the game once since that night I played it with my friends. And to top it all off, the one part of the game I actually enjoy and want to play more frequently is the one thing you almost never do in this game. And even that feels like it's been spread too thin. Each category of game feels like it doesn't have enough games in it. Sure altogether there are about 80-90 games, but that doesn't matter if I'm always playing the same 10.

Rexcalibr

I agree that the mini games are the best part but the reward for winning is so minimal that it doesn't make all that big of an impact on the game. You could win ten stars playing number 1 in a mini game but you can also just get ten stars for rolling the dice on the board and passing by an area that just gives you stars for doing nothing.

Rexcalibr

DefHalan

The Mario Party I have the most experience with is Mario Party 4. I found that to be extremely luck based. You could try to angle yourself towards a star but once someone got the star it moved to a random location, making the game feel more luck based. Being more spread-out on the board also made interactions between players rare (outside of the forced mini-games after all players took a turn) I do agree I expected more boards, especially with them being a lot more linear. The Amiibo Party gives a classic feel but I find it the more boring part of Mario Party 10. I am more entertained playing Mario Party 10 than Mario Party 4. (I played Mario Party 4 a few months ago) I understand people have come to expect a certain experience from Mario Party over the years, but I really like where they have gone in Mario Party 10. I would love to see some DLC boards, not more Amiibo Boards please.

mystman12

Mario Party 4 is horrible. My friends and I play Mario Party 3 all the time, but one night we decided to try 4 and we didn't even finish the party... Maybe I should give it another shot but it just seemed like there were some really dumb mechanics going on, like the mini/mega mushrooms thing.

I like makin' games!
Future Pinball games!
Petit Computer games!!
and SmileBASIC games!
Waiting for Kirby Air Ride 2. One day, it will come. One day...

3DS Friend Code: 0259-0292-5888 | Nintendo Network ID: mystman12 | Twitter:

DreamyViridi

Mario Party 4 is the most nostalgic to me as it's the one I played the most back then but I couldn't possibly go back to it now. It feels rather slow-paced compared to the other Parties (doesn't help that I play the PAL version) and I'd just get bored. Something about 7 puts me off as well, though I've only played that with CPUs.

Once a LuigiMan, now a Dreamy representation of the Goddess of Nature.
Retired Palutena Gem Provider.
Mario Maker Levels

Switch Friend Code: SW-6593-3528-8788 | 3DS Friend Code: 0688-5405-0932 | Nintendo Network ID: LuigiMan200

KB90

I'm loving MP10 but I have never played another MP.

KB90

UGXwolf

DefHalan wrote:

The Mario Party I have the most experience with is Mario Party 4. I found that to be extremely luck based. You could try to angle yourself towards a star but once someone got the star it moved to a random location, making the game feel more luck based. Being more spread-out on the board also made interactions between players rare (outside of the forced mini-games after all players took a turn) I do agree I expected more boards, especially with them being a lot more linear. The Amiibo Party gives a classic feel but I find it the more boring part of Mario Party 10. I am more entertained playing Mario Party 10 than Mario Party 4. (I played Mario Party 4 a few months ago) I understand people have come to expect a certain experience from Mario Party over the years, but I really like where they have gone in Mario Party 10. I would love to see some DLC boards, not more Amiibo Boards please.

4 is a bit annoying. The maps in 4 have a very high tendency to send you in whatever direction. You don't generally get a choice, it just depends on when you get to a certain part of the map. Mario Party 2 is the one I have the most experience with and I can assure you that skill played a major part in winning. Not all of it, of course. Luck is always present when you're relying on RNG, but skill was definitely a big part of that game. I also found that 8 has a decent number of skill-based maps. I'm not saying that luck has no place in Mario Party. Honestly, a MP game without luck would suffer from similar problems as 9 and 10 are suffering from. Just saying that it really feels like 9 and 10 take control away from the player.

EDIT: Just for reference, my personal scale looks something like this:

MP2>MP6>MP8>MP3>MP7>MP5>MPDS>MP>MP4>MP: Island Tour>MP10>MP9>MP Advanced

Edited on by UGXwolf

DefHalan

I am the most skilled player out of the people I play with and I haven't lost a single game. I feel like skill is still important in the game but luck will always play a part in all video games.

UGXwolf

DefHalan wrote:

I am the most skilled player out of the people I play with and I haven't lost a single game. I feel like skill is still important in the game but luck will always play a part in all video games.

I'm the most skilled player in my group and I have yet to win once. And no, I'm not salty because I lost, in fact, that's part of the problem. I'm NOT salty cause I lost. I should be. That's what Mario Party is best at. It creates a group dynamic that you don't get with most other games, but when I lose in MP10, I just kinda shrug and go "whatever, it's MP10." MP9 had this same problem. It doesn't feel like anything I do actually matters.

DefHalan

UGXwolf wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

I'm the most skilled player in my group and I have yet to win once. And no, I'm not salty because I lost, in fact, that's part of the problem. I'm NOT salty cause I lost. I should be. That's what Mario Party is best at. It creates a group dynamic that you don't get with most other games, but when I lose in MP10, I just kinda shrug and go "whatever, it's MP10." MP9 had this same problem. It doesn't feel like anything I do actually matters.

You make it sound like we are playing completely different games

UGXwolf

DefHalan wrote:

UGXwolf wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

You make it sound like we are playing completely different games

Maybe we are. "Perception is reality."

Rexcalibr

I could be wrong, but the only time skill comes into play is when you do the mini games (some of them; ones like Mecha Choice are pure luck) and using the special dice blocks when they actually help you. Otherwise, it's almost all luck based.

Rexcalibr

DefHalan

Rexcalibr wrote:

I could be wrong, but the only time skill comes into play is when you do the mini games (some of them; ones like Mecha Choice are pure luck) and using the special dice blocks when they actually help you. Otherwise, it's almost all luck based.

So basically, if you don't count the times when skill is a factor then the game isn't skill based. Those are the skillful moments that keep the game fun. Using a 0-1 block to make sure you don't get some -stars. Being able to control mini-games correctly and outsmart opponents. Those are the skillful moments and they are mixed in with random moments that make matches less predictable. In Mario Party 4 the only times skill came into play wrre during most mini-games and using special dice when you had them.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.