Forums

Topic: Mario Party 10 - OT

Posts 321 to 340 of 398

jariw

Flopsy86 wrote:

If people don't want to try this great game and bash it then just let them get on with it I say. You can't judge this game if you haven't played it.

This is the internet, where people judge games they haven't played, or judge games that aren't even released, or judge games for platforms they don't even own.

jariw

Sparx

Is there a way to turn off certain mini games so they don't show up?

My avatar is from here

Whopper744

Flopsy86 wrote:

" The MP10 Party mode is much better than MP9's also, this game has in my opinion bested MP9 on all fronts (except for people who are hating on the removed characters from the roster)."[/

I definitely agree with you there. My wife and I both have aid it's like an improved MP9 with new modes to go with it. Even though the regular Mario Party mode is very similar to 9's, it somehow pulls it all of better.

(yeah sorry about breaking the quote box thing. Can't seem to get it to do what I want.)

@Sparx Yes, though I can't remember exactly where. I believe in Mario Party mode, right when you are going to select a board to play, click the little wrench and you can change what kind of minigames appear. It's defaulted to all, but I'm pretty sure you can at least turn luck games off!

Edited on by Whopper744

Nintendo ID : Whopper744

Twitter: @Whopper744games

online games include: Mario Kart 8, Mario Kart 7, Smash Bros Wii U and 3DS, Super Mario Maker and Splatoon.
Try out my Super Mario Maker stages at well! Here's one to start : F98B-0000-0022-0753
(used to be Joshers744...

3DS Friend Code: 4639-9014-2585 | Nintendo Network ID: Whopper744

Hy8ogen

Wife wanted the game so I bit the bullet. Got the Mario amiibo bundle. After playing a few rounds, this is an excellent game. This game simply puts Wii party U to shame. The rounds was exciting, mini games are super fun and the most important thing is, and it was also mentioned in the review, anyone regardless of skill can enjoy this game. The pacing is spot on making the game not feeling dragged on like Wii party U.

Personally I would give this game a 8/10. 1 for no online support, 1 for way too little board options for 70 CAD or 60 USD (bought the bundle).

Edited on by Hy8ogen

Nintendo fan since 6 years of age.
Owned: SNES, Gameboy, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, DS, 3DS, Wii U, PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4 and PSP3000.

3DS Friend Code: 5472-8085-9073 | Nintendo Network ID: kkloveit

DefHalan

I feel bad as I keep winning and my wife keeps placing second. The closest board so far was the underwater one. She lost by only 5 mini stars. If I hadn't gotten some bonus stars at the end she would have won.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Flopsy86

That's something else I've noticed since MP9. MP9 felt scripted in a sort of way such that the game would intentionally create drama and saltiness, for example

I did a Master difficulty run on MP9 on the week before MP10 came out, did it under the following conditions. Me and 3 Master CPUs, 10 mini star handicap for all players, all 7 boards.
I took an early lead on a few boards about 5-10 mini stars ahead, I then extend this lead by the mini boss fortress. Then by the end of the board when Bowser puts the Bowser spaces down, almost always land on one and get "Battle for half of your ministars" and I end up finishing anywhere but 1st in the minigame and low and behold I'm not in first anymore and it's impossible to claw it back regardless of how the final boss or bonus stars go.
It almost felt like the dice block numbers were fixed sometimes to intentionally land on that Bowser space, or that back space, or that unlucky space etc. Just to make me work hard for my victory.

MP10 though, it actually doesn't feel like that. I don't know what it is, but there definitely feels like more mini games are occurring, maybe it's because Bowser spaces are less of a presence, it does actually feel possible to get into 1st place and hold onto it a lot more now though.
MP10 removes Captain events and Spin spaces and introduces Steal spaces which is more old school.
MP9's Captain events just took away from the main game though, it was just a distraction and it slowed the game down unnecessarily.

I haven't been winning every MP10, it's been split between me and my partner who wins but CPUs aren't winning and that used to be common in MP9. It felt like MP9 just picked a winner in the first turn sometimes and would make sure nothing stood in that player's way and would rain ministars all over that person and make the dice blocks or the other players just fall short of the board stars.

@Whopper744 @Sparx Yes you can change the minigame selections there. But in more recent Mario Parties the choices have been lax there. I believe it can only be changed from "all" to "easy" now, there maybe more choices than that because I haven't actually looked. It is on that Spanner or Cog type icon before you begin play though.
I remember in MP5 there used to be many choices of mini game sets you could choose, It could have been set to All, Easy but also Action, Skill or Goofy minigames.

Flopsy86

Nintendo Network ID: Flopsy86

UGXwolf

So I got the game, played it with my friends and felt this overwhelming air of condescension. People are sayi g this game feels more tactical, but honestly, I feel like slightly modifying your dice rolls as the only option makes it far FAR less tactical. The game felt like it was playing itself with little to no actual attention being paid from half of the players. I think it was a bad decision to remove rolling from turn order, as it makes me feel even less involved with the game than I already was. These are definitely some of the best mini-games MP has had over the years, but that just makes it all the more disappointing that they show up so uncommonly. I've played boards with a total of 3 mini-games played throughout. As I've pointed out before, the pacing is so fast, te game doesn't even feel worth pulling out to play with friends. I feel like games taking more than two hours left ND Cube with the impression we wanted them shorter, but 20 minutes per map makes it feel as though we hadn't played at all. To the point that two of the four of us just flat out didn't care who won in the end. It felt very much like the game didn't think we could handle non-linear maps or keeping track of four characters or collecting one thing in order to collect something far more valuable.

As for Amiibo Party, it's not bad, but I'd struggle to call it good. I definitely am glad that they made an attempt to appeal to veteran players, but to do so with such a hollow experience really seems to undermine the point. You can change the color of the corners of the square, rearrange the spaces a little, and change the events themselves, but it'll always be a 20-space square. It feels a bit unimaginative and lacks the amazing design that makes MP so great. But above all, the most insulting part is the lack of game settings. Aside from the token you walk in with, the settings are non-existent. You can't even increase the turn order. It's like they don't want us playing their game for more than an hour at a time. Because the board is so small, events seem too common and interrupt gameplay all the time. It's almost like they're trying to shove a full MP classic game down your throat in about half the time. That is to say, i feel they stretched the pacing in all the wrong places, leaving the strong parts too scrunched up and the weak ones spread too thin.

I fully concur with GameXplain's final verdict i. This game. It just illicits a resounding "meh" from me and my friends.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

DefHalan

@UGXwolf

Sorry you guys had such a terrible experience. My experiences were a lot better and I had plenty of mini-games. I felt like they were able to make mini-games feel like rewards for landing on the space rather than punishments you have to sit through every turn, but that is just me.

UGXwolf

@DefHalen I think a lot of that is based on how you view the game. Personally, I'm here for the mini-games. I'd never consider them a punishment, and most of them were always a lot of fun for me. I don't remember when I last actually hated a mini-game enough to not wanna play it. I feel like the phrase "spread too thin" sums up this game very well. Focusing on one of the modes wouldn given it plenty if content, but split between the modes, the content feels too shallow. Maybe that's just me.

Flopsy86

UGXwolf wrote:

@DefHalen I think a lot of that is based on how you view the game. Personally, I'm here for the mini-games. I'd never consider them a punishment, and most of them were always a lot of fun for me. I don't remember when I last actually hated a mini-game enough to not wanna play it. I feel like the phrase "spread too thin" sums up this game very well. Focusing on one of the modes wouldn given it plenty if content, but split between the modes, the content feels too shallow. Maybe that's just me.

I can see your point in both your posts, maybe some of us are just easily impressed and just have low expectations of a Mario Party game's content. I'm not afraid to admit that I'm one of those people.

The minigames in this game are great and I haven't hated a single one of them either

Nd Cube has had 3 attempts at a Mario Party game now (as they also did the 3DS one) and I'm going to admit that MP9 was good at the time because it was a new play concept.
The 3DS one has very very short boards and mini games were a rare sight in that game in general, I do like to play the 3DS one every now and again because some of the boards are decent (since they all have different board play and minigame regularity).

MP10 does kind of lack content, I'm not going to deny that but then again the game was a decent price for what you get. The game may have possibly suffered content wise just because they tired to bring 3 main modes. I don't think any other MP in existance has ever had this many main modes to boast about.

MP7 had 8 player but it was no different gameplay wise.
MP6 had Mic Mode.
MP5 had Super Duel mode
MP3 had Duel Boards

I agree completely with your comment about being "spread too thin" due to there being too many main modes in MP10.

Flopsy86

Mikes

After reading some of these comments, I'm not all that confident in buying the game right now. I usually always get a console Mario Party. Well, I hope the whole car mechanic feels more polished.

Here are a few places that I can be found!
YouTube | Newgrounds | ZippCast

3DS Friend Code: 4511-0759-5924 | Nintendo Network ID: ShadowMetal

Flopsy86

StaticWind wrote:

After reading some of these comments, I'm not all that confident in buying the game right now. I usually always get a console Mario Party. Well, I hope the whole car mechanic feels more polished.

Don't let our comments put you off, it's hard to say whether one would enjoy the game or not.

If you like the Car mechanic then I'd recommend you buy this game because that aspect of the game has vastly improved over MP9.

Flopsy86

UGXwolf

Oh, yeah, make no mistake. Love it or hate it, MP10 trumps 9 in just about every way. And don't let some people fool you, that price isn't gonna drop anytime soon. Nintendo stuff rarely ever does, which is true tenfold for anything with "Mario" in the title.

DefHalan

My biggest complaint is that since the boards are more linear now I wish there were more of them. I have played all the normal boards (have only done 1 amiibo board so far) I do wish there was more content in general but I like the pace of the game.

Speaking of the price, my wife wants to get the 3DS Mario Party but that price still hasn't dropped.

Flopsy86

DefHalan wrote:

Speaking of the price, my wife wants to get the 3DS Mario Party but that price still hasn't dropped.

I got lucky there, I paid nothing for the game as I got it as part of the free game promotion where you had to register a 3DS and Pokemon ORAS or Super Smash Bros. It's a download version though.

I looked at the prices of all the console Mario Parties in recent months. The most valuable gamecube ones right now are MP6 and MP7, they fetch about £40-60 without the Microphone, it's even more valuable if it's got the bundle box.
MP8 is dirt cheap but it's a Wii game. MP9 is also cheap but still around £20.
Don't get me started on the N64 ones, MP3 is £70 just for the cartridge!

It's nice to wish that MP10 would get DLC someday but one can hope. It would fix quite a few problems with the game.

@DefHalan amiibo party gets better and better the more you play it. I've got 7 amiibos that I want to unlock all 33 tokens for so that is going to be a long grind, although I won't call it a grind because it makes it sound as if I'm not enjoying it but I will enjoy it.

Flopsy86

Hy8ogen

@StaticWind MP10 is a great game. My wife and I enjoy it very much. The game feels very polished too. I think it depends how you look at the game. If you're looking for a party game to play with friends, this game is excellent. If you're trying to play this game alone, I would highly suggest looking elsewhere.

Edited on by Hy8ogen

Nintendo fan since 6 years of age.
Owned: SNES, Gameboy, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, DS, 3DS, Wii U, PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4 and PSP3000.

3DS Friend Code: 5472-8085-9073 | Nintendo Network ID: kkloveit

Grumblevolcano

I finally picked it up today as part of my plan to get 3000 Club Nintendo stars before mid-April (Now have 2250!). It'll be nice to play every now and then as the GameXplain streams made it look fun.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

DefHalan

Grumblevolcano wrote:

I finally picked it up today as part of my plan to get 3000 Club Nintendo stars before mid-April (Now have 2250!). It'll be nice to play every now and then as the GameXplain streams made it look fun.

I thought they stopped giving out Club Nintendo Points with games

Yoshi

DefHalan wrote:

Grumblevolcano wrote:

I thought they stopped giving out Club Nintendo Points with games

Not in Europe. They kept theirs going on longer than ours did.

Formally called brewsky before becoming the lovable, adorable Yoshi.
Now playing:
Final Fantasy XIV (PC) | The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Switch) | Celeste (Switch)

Nintendo Network ID: brewsky93

Flopsy86

Cut off date for redeeming Club Nintendo Stars in Europe is end of September

New games stop coming with Point cards after the end of March. MP10 just fell inside this period

Flopsy86

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.