Forums

Topic: Mario Party 10 - OT

Posts 181 to 200 of 398

ISE-Pete

Flopsy86 wrote:

I quite liked Mario Party 9, it's that Mario Party that is very different from the other 8. Yes it's watered down and incredibly patronising in places but it did have some awesome minigames and there is tons of room for improving on this entry which makes me more excited about what MP10 will bring. And besides I religiously hate Mario Party 8 and seeing Mario Party 9 being totally different was a sigh of relief for me because Mario Party 8 was the worst in the series!

I still play MP9 regularly because I'm hyped for MP10 and I can win rather regularly so it's not as random as some might say.
MP10 already wins over MP9 anyway because Toadette is very likely to be playable again!

It will be 1 amiibo unlocks it's relative board I believe.
I'll be getting 3 amiibos at release: Mario, Toad and Yoshi so it means I'll only be able to play Mario's, Toad's and Yoshi's boards. Just having 1 amiibo means you're able to access the amiibo mode though provided you have a compatible one.

I believe NPC characters make cameos on particular amiibo boards aswell.

Have you played every Mario Party in the series? I'd love your ranking of them.

It's Super Effective!!!
https://www.youtube.com/c/itssupereffectiveCanada

Twitter:

Flopsy86

ISE-Pete wrote:

Have you played every Mario Party in the series? I'd love your ranking of them.

Well I was just generalizing on the Wii/Wii U ones, I didn't intend to make Mario Party 9 sound like it's so much better than the N64 or Gamecube ones. The N64 ones will always be best in my eyes but I like to appreciate the modern ones aswell.

I personally think Mario Party 3 was the best Mario Party followed by Mario Party 7, they were very well balanced games.
Not too fond of MP2 or MP4.
MP2 had a one item limit which restricted gameplay too much.
Hated the mini/mega mushrooms in MP4.
1, 5 and 6 are ok.
1 is a letdown due to certain minigames which were painful to play.
5 had no shops which made strategy less so.
I can't put my finger on what makes me not like 6 so much but it feels not quite there compared to 7.

I have played all the Mario Parties, including DS, Advance and 3DS. They all have their pros and cons, MP9 just happens to go down well with me and my friends, they particularly like the fact that the games are shorter, it makes them want to play it more often.

Flopsy86

Nintendo Network ID: Flopsy86

WiiUseeker2

ISE-Pete wrote:

WiiUseeker2 wrote:

mario party 9 felt like the most babied almost condescending, watered down minimal tiny teeny weenie baby game ever. it was embarrassing.

this is just my opinion though.

Would you say based on what you've seen on MP10, it's going to change that? I want to be excited for a Mario Party game again.

errr... honestly.. no. It looks like I wont be enjoying it again. I miss many of the older mario part games so very much.

WiiUseeker2

WiiUseeker2

Flopsy86 wrote:

I quite liked Mario Party 9, it's that Mario Party that is very different from the other 8. Yes it's watered down and incredibly patronising in places but it did have some awesome minigames and there is tons of room for improving on this entry which makes me more excited about what MP10 will bring. And besides I religiously hate Mario Party 8 and seeing Mario Party 9 being totally different was a sigh of relief for me because Mario Party 8 was the worst in the series!

I still play MP9 regularly because I'm hyped for MP10 and I can win rather regularly so it's not as random as some might say.
MP10 already wins over MP9 anyway because Toadette is very likely to be playable again!

It will be 1 amiibo unlocks it's relative board I believe.
I'll be getting 3 amiibos at release: Mario, Toad and Yoshi so it means I'll only be able to play Mario's, Toad's and Yoshi's boards. Just having 1 amiibo means you're able to access the amiibo mode though provided you have a compatible one.

I believe NPC characters make cameos on particular amiibo boards aswell.

I didn't like mario party 8 so so much, but I really liked it alot more than mario party 9. BEST SOLUTION?: if Nintendo would make a new mario party game that contained all the playable characters and mini games and boards that have ever been in any mario party game. ALL into one super packed mario party game. that way the play could have the choice to mix and match any options however they wanted

WiiUseeker2

UGXwolf

So after what we've recently learned about Mario Party 10, I've gotta say, I'm impressed... but still disappointed. With that said, ALL HOPE IS NOT LOST!

So first off, reactions to each mode:

Mario Party: Disappoint. Disappoint all around. The maps look as amazing as ever, but so long as the car mechanic is in play, I can't help but continue to feel disappointed at this mode. The mini-games will be too sporadic and the level of competition will be as weak as it was in Mario Party 9. This is easily the WORST mode so far revealed.

Amiibo Party: Disappoint again, but not as much. Here we see classic Mario Party gameplay... but without the mini-games? I don't see any indication of mini-games, here... unless I'm wrong. Maybe the Amiibo AI plays the mini-games while players handle the board aspect? That might be nice. The most disappointing thing about this is the exact opposite of Mario Party mode. The gameplay looks nice enough, but the boards are all... boring... horribly boring. I simply can't get into it.

Bowser Party: Best mode so far shown off. 1v4 is awesome, and this mode just makes the teeth grindingly antagonistic gameplay that much more antagonistic. This is the main reason I still plan on getting this game. Biggest downside, this may be a bit one-sided. Seems like Bowser is a bit OP, here, and the other players can get wrecked fast, if the guy playing Bowser is any good.

So overall, looking really bad, but there's still hope! Why?

Speculation: First off, I think Bowser Party will keep MP9's boss battle concept, but will force a mini-game with Bowser instead. It likely won't be a regular mini-game, but a specially designed one that can scale in difficulty based on the standings. A single opponent being much harder to take out than four opponents and making for some very epic end-game showdowns. Just imagine if someone's as good at the game as you and it's just you and them when you reach the boss battle? That could be really fun!

Second, I feel like the menu selection sounds a little... empty. Who's to say there isn't another mode? Now, I don't know what this mode may be, but I know what I'm hoping for! RETRO PARTY! Where we go and play a classic Mario Party board in Classic Mario Party style! One board from every game, 1 to 7. (Not that 8 and 9 don't count, but they're on the Wii, so they can still be played on a Wii U.) Still uses the same set of mini-games, though. Come on! They'd already be making 14+ maps! Gotta cut 'em a break SOMEWHERE! That said, who's to say some mini-games won't be returning? I mean, usually you'll recognize a mini-game from a previous game that's just been refitted, anyways, so there's always that.

Anyways, what do you guys think?

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

UGXwolf

And related to the whole MP series, I personally prefer the more complex ones, but what makes or breaks a MP game for me is pacing and mini-games. I loved 2, 3, and 8 quite a bit, as I felt these were the best paced and had some amazing mini-games.

I also felt 1 and 5 were decent, but I don't have nearly as many fond memories of them as I do the above three.

6 is another one I really liked, but the pacing drags way too much for my tastes. I tend to like 1-2 hour games. Any longer is just too much. Any less is tolerable, but 5, 6, and 7 were all really bad about this pacing.

9 isn't my /least/ favorite, but the pacing kills all enthusiasm I have for that entry. The maps are too short and linear. Strategy elements have been taken out almost entirely and it just feels like every map is an auto-scroller. Some great games, but the lack of variety from game to game kills any replayability, making this game worth about three days of play before it's shelved for life. Really disappointing, IMO.

And yes, I know I've skipped 4. That's because I didn't play it. Or Advanced. Or Island Tour. I did however play DS and it's pretty good, just a bit watered down for my tastes. Nice pacing and variety, otherwise.

As for 10, again, I like that they're trying to get each play style in there somewhere. Classic. Modern. Assymetrical. I just feel that each mode excels at one thing or another while failing at something else. None of the modes feel just right. They only feel like a portion of the experience, which makes me kinda sad. I'm really hoping for that Retro Party idea to actually be a thing.

Rexcalibr

I'm wondering if this game will be worth buying if it doesn't have online.

Rexcalibr

Jonencloud

kind of looks like Mario party 9. i wonder if it started as a Wii game and got ported to the Wii U

Jonencloud

Blast

Rexcalibr wrote:

Nintendo could at least let you play online with friends on Friend List.

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

RedDevilAde

I'm looking forward to this and hoping it takes advantage of the gamepad offering a lot of asymmetric gaming opportunities. Seems like the perfect game to use the gamepad to its potential.

Rimmer: "Look, I think we've all got something to bring to this conversation, but I think that from now on the thing you should bring is silence."

Homer: "Oh people can come up with statistics to prove anything Kent. Forfty percent of all people know that."

Nintendo Network ID: RedDevilAde

jariw

Jonencloud wrote:

kind of looks like Mario party 9. i wonder if it started as a Wii game and got ported to the Wii U

The Bowser mode and the amiboo modes were developed for Wii. When they were going to release it, they discovered that the Wii didn't have a Gamepad or a NFC reader/writer.

Edited on by jariw

jariw

MrWalkieTalkie

Rexcalibr wrote:

Well NSMBU, DK Tropical Freeze, SM3DW, Pikmin 3, Nintendo Land, and others seem to be doing just fine without online even tho tons of people keep saying they're not worth buying because they lack online modes.

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/users/Mr.WalkieTalkie
Nintendo Network ID: Mr.WalkieTalkie
3DS Friend Code: 4382-2073-7299

VOTE WONDER-RED FOR SMASH!!

UGXwolf

Yeah, I'm gonna be completely honest, I'm getting really tired of the constant whining about lack of online this, lack of online that. I really don't feel like this particular game will actually benefit from being online... at all. Mario Party is and has always been the kind of game where if no one else is in the room, you may as well be playing against computers. The fun of Mario Party is what happens OUTSIDE of the TV. Not inside. The game, itself, has always been mediocre on average. What makes it so much fun is the salt. All of the salt, and salt over an internet connection just doesn't even remotely compete with salt in the room.

Plus, you'll probably never finish a game ever. Keep in mind the pacing of Mario Party is still at least 20 minutes a game. That's a lot for the Wii U to handle, as online still isn't its forte. And with the previously mentioned salt, all it takes is one troll or one bad sport to disconnect and BOOM! You don't even get to finish.

Flopsy86

UGXwolf wrote:

The fun of Mario Party is what happens OUTSIDE of the TV. Not inside. The game, itself, has always been mediocre on average. What makes it so much fun is the salt. All of the salt, and salt over an internet connection just doesn't even remotely compete with salt in the room.

This hits the online mode thing on the head pretty much, I also agree that there should never be online modes for Mario Party games. It's supposed to be a Family/Friends party game, online just takes this aspect away. Also, will people actually sit and finish online games where they are losing terribly with no hope of winning, usually you sit and finish a Mario party game you are losing because your friends are there and you feel obliged to....don't know where I'm heading with this really but it's just an example of why online wouldn't work on this type of game.

Regarding your comments on individual MP games, I agree that MP6 is too long on some boards, especially Clockwork Castle, it took me and my fiancee 2 and a half hours to do 25 turns on that. DK/Bowser movement added a lot of time and it did drag on, might have to cut that to 20 next time.
I own all the Mario Parties and I enjoy the N64 ones the most which you seem to have in favourites also. Prefer MP1 over MP2 though, too much VC MP2 has killed that game for me!
I highly recommend you give MP4 a try if you feel up to it, it has decent minigames. I personally dislike the board play due to the mini/mega madness but you may like it.

@RedDevilAde
I recon the Gamepad games will very much resemble those on Wii Party U, that game had 1 vs 3 games and the lone player used the gamepad. I highly recommend anyone who hasn't played that game to check it out as it is also developed by Nd Cube and it had a format similar to Mario Party 9 I felt, even the modes in that feel random as hell like Mario Party 9 is sometimes.

Anyway on topic, even without online I have more than enough reasons to buy this game, I enjoyed 9 for reasons explained in posts above and this game feels like an enhancement to MP9, they are removing some things that didn't work in Mario Party 9 like Battle minigames for example. I feel like there are enough changes between MP9 and MP10 for me to look forward to it. My favourite character is back (Toadette), my brother's favourite character is making her debut (Rosalina), my fiancee's favourite (DK) is back also, so at least character choices won't be top of our gripe lists.
I will be buying amiibos for the first time just for this game, I also own Smash Bros but I never felt like I needed an amiibo until I saw this game with the amiibo party mode. I'm getting the Super Mario range Mario (bundled with the game), Yoshi and Toad.

Flopsy86

whodatninja

I just found out that Mario Party 2 is on the Wii eshop! Now if only i had more than two wii remotes...

Hopefully by March when MP10 comes out Nintendo will start porting over N64 games to WII U!

whodatninja

Nintendo Network ID: whodatninja117

Flopsy86

whodatninja wrote:

I just found out that Mario Party 2 is on the Wii eshop! Now if only i had more than two wii remotes...

Hopefully by March when MP10 comes out Nintendo will start porting over N64 games to WII U!

You'll need a classic controller for each player aswell sadly. If you use a wii console though, you can use gamecube controllers

Flopsy86

Grumblevolcano

@Flopsy86 I agree that Smash Bros' amiibo usage is rather mediocre (only considering using it once the 3DS update comes out to grind for custom special moves via 4 player amiibo matches while playing Mario Kart 8 on Wii U). Mario Party 10's usage is significantly better though right now the gameplay of the game in general looks too much like Mario Party 9 which I hated.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

UGXwolf

The problem with that, @Grumblevolcano , is that only the main Mario Party mode looks like 9. In Bowser Party, I feel like the car mechanic actually makes sense, since it's a 1v4, not a free-for-all. And Amiibo Party actually plays like classic Mario Party, to some degree. So I'm not sure whether to write this off as Mario Party 9.2 or Mario Party: Ultimate Edition.

Flopsy86

Grumblevolcano wrote:

@Flopsy86 I agree that Smash Bros' amiibo usage is rather mediocre (only considering using it once the 3DS update comes out to grind for custom special moves via 4 player amiibo matches while playing Mario Kart 8 on Wii U). Mario Party 10's usage is significantly better though right now the gameplay of the game in general looks too much like Mario Party 9 which I hated.

Just never really had a reason to own an amiibo until now. I do own Captain Toad Treasure Tracker but amiibo usage for that is 8 bit toad hide and seek which is not really for me.

Bowser Party really does suit the Car Mechanic. It reminds me of Clockwork Castle in MP6 where Bowser chases you across the board at night, it's something which hasn't been done much on MP apart from on this single map in MP6.
I'll still enjoy the standard MP10 mode if it plays out roughly the same as 9 anyway.

I'm also hoping there will be minigames in the amiibo party mode otherwise what would be the point in it be?
Even so, it wouldn't be a complete classic Mario Party experience because it seems like there won't be any 2 vs 2 or 3 vs 1 games in MP10. I suppose amiibo party could do free for all minigames after each turn regardless though so I guess it wouldn't matter what colour spaces players landed on.

Flopsy86

NinjaWaddleDee

Amiibo party better have minigames, otherwise it looks kind of boring. I'm definitely waiting for reviews before I buy this game.

Check out my YouTube channel if you love gaming, and Nintendo (especially Metroid) I think you'll enjoy my videos. :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCagN36OxIjCGUVMaYFtPgSg

Nintendo Network ID: NinjaWaddleDee

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.