Forums

Topic: Mario Party 10 - OT

Posts 161 to 180 of 398

DefHalan

VanillaLake wrote:

NintyMan wrote:

Was there really surprise how linear the game is?

This is clearly a sequel to 9. I also loved the N64 and GCN Mario Parties, but I really liked 9 too.

I admit that some of those boards look pretty short, though. The underground one looks like the biggest.

You don't need to be surprised to complain about a game.

This is the internet, there are zero prerequisites for complaining.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

VanillaLake

DefHalan wrote:

VanillaLake wrote:

NintyMan wrote:

Was there really surprise how linear the game is?

This is clearly a sequel to 9. I also loved the N64 and GCN Mario Parties, but I really liked 9 too.

I admit that some of those boards look pretty short, though. The underground one looks like the biggest.

You don't need to be surprised to complain about a game.

This is the internet, there are zero prerequisites for complaining.

That is true but in this case the complaints are justified.

I really don't like the navigation bar of Nintendo Life continuously reappearing while browsing!!

3DS Friend Code: 2836-0258-0952 | Nintendo Network ID: NNID-Fer

WiiUseeker2

so lets call up Nintendo and tell them how we feel? maybe they will be nice and understand and make the mario party games with the best features of all the other ones?

WiiUseeker2

Flopsy86

Some things I've noticed on looking at these pictures.

1. There are only VS minigame spaces and no 1vs3 or Battle minigame spaces.
2. There appears to be item shops on route (as Nintyman says) but they are Toad houses and it could be that card shuffle again from MP9, it looks like just passing them means you can use them now though.
3. There aren't as many shuffle, spin, dash or back spaces on the boards.
4. On the underwater map at the circular section on the right side, you have the choice to go right and up the cliff or down and circle around again (could loop infinitely until someone chooses right), however there are 3 unlucky spaces and a mini bowser space (?) following the down route hence punishment for trying to make the game a little longer!
However, I've also noticed there is a gate on the right hand route which is blocked so I guess until the gate is open, you're forced to go down and loop again. You might have to roll a particularly high number as a team or individually to open the gate.
5. Lucky spaces seem to have disappeared but unlucky spaces haven't.
6. There are no Bowser spaces but there are still mini bowser spaces (in a different colour), maybe either of them (or both!) could show up on these spaces like Mario Party 4 did. They aren't Yellow background with Red picture anymore, they are now Black background with Red picture (like Bowser space colours)
7. There are Blue '!' spaces which seem to lead to offside board sections which have 3 blocks possibly to choose from, who knows what these are, they could be good or bad. They could even be the lucky spaces as they were Blue in MP9
8. There appears to be a lack of mini stars on the underwater one though there are a lot of treasure chest spaces instead which lead to off board circles, supposedly for mini star related events.
9. There doesn't appear to be as many Captain events on these boards
10. Easier to see on the Bowser board but the mini stars have numbers underneath them now saying how many you will receive or lose when you pass them. eg. "+5" "+8"
11. It will be interesting on how the airship board will be navigated, the top half of the picture looks hard to compute!
12. The spin spaces, although there are a lack of them seem to have a spinner/sign on the side of the road.
13. At the top of the underwater board, before the first boss battle there appears to be a road with no spaces on it and it is blocked off at either end, there is a back space at the end closest to the boss battle, perhaps if you land on the back space, you might be forced to go back down that road.

Just some things I've noticed on studying the pictures, nothing concrete though.

Flopsy86

Nintendo Network ID: Flopsy86

mystman12

I also miss classic Mario Party, and while I've never played 9 (or Island Tour) they look and sound like they rely almost completely on chance. I can't tell how on earth I could ever make plans, sabotage other players, or anything like that, at least on purpose, in this game. Mario Party 3 is my favorite, and I play it on a regular basis, and unlike this, skill plays a big part in that game. My cousin nearly always wins because he's better than us at nearly all the minigames, so he gets a ton of coins and a minigame star from that. You can use items to help yourself or sabotage your friends, and I often find myself trying to think a few turns ahead on how I should use my items. These latest installments in Mario Party just seem like they've lost all of that, and if 10 is the same, not even DK can get me to buy the game. (Despite how happy I am he's playable again!)

I like makin' games!
Future Pinball games!
Petit Computer games!!
and SmileBASIC games!
Waiting for Kirby Air Ride 2. One day, it will come. One day...

3DS Friend Code: 0259-0292-5888 | Nintendo Network ID: mystman12 | Twitter:

jariw

mystman12 wrote:

I also miss classic Mario Party, and while I've never played 9 (or Island Tour) they look and sound like they rely almost completely on chance. I can't tell how on earth I could ever make plans, sabotage other players, or anything like that, at least on purpose, in this game. Mario Party 3 is my favorite, and I play it on a regular basis, and unlike this, skill plays a big part in that game. My cousin nearly always wins because he's better than us at nearly all the minigames, so he gets a ton of coins and a minigame star from that. You can use items to help yourself or sabotage your friends, and I often find myself trying to think a few turns ahead on how I should use my items. These latest installments in Mario Party just seem like they've lost all of that, and if 10 is the same, not even DK can get me to buy the game. (Despite how happy I am he's playable again!)

The all-in-on-car approach in MP9 still requires some tactics, although you could really just affect the person who would move directly after you. However, MP9 is not skill-based since the random events occurring at the end is so unbalanced, so the outcome still is very random even if one player has a huge lead.

jariw

jariw

Flopsy86 wrote:

1. There are only VS minigame spaces and no 1vs3 or Battle minigame spaces.

Nice finds! I think the 1vs3 has been "replaced" by the new Bowser mode.

jariw

Shirma_Akayaku

Do I need the DK or Rosalina amiibo to play as them in Mario Party 10?

Wi-Fi Game List:
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Splatoon
Super Smash Bros. Wii U & 3DS + All DLC
Mario Kart 8 + All DLC
Mario Golf: World Tour + All DLC
Mario Kart 7
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon

Wii U & 3DS Game Wish List:...

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9553-9610 | Nintendo Network ID: Toadette75

DefHalan

Shirma_Akayaku wrote:

Do I need the DK or Rosalina amiibo to play as them in Mario Party 10?

I believe you only need them for the Amiibo Boards, not the standard boards

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Pootypie

I don't mind the car coming back so much, but I would prefer Mario Party without the car. Also Bowser Jr. not playable? Lol looks like my brother would be upset.

Pootypie

Switch Friend Code: SW-4862-0398-5013 | 3DS Friend Code: 5198-3100-0796 | My Nintendo: Pootypie | Nintendo Network ID: BlueMario1998

WiiUseeker2

mystman12 wrote:

I would love to get a physical copy (I hate digital downloads) of a disk that contains all the mario party games from nintendo64 as HD remakes for the Wii U. they don't have to change anything, just improve the graphics a little bit and add online multiplayer and make all the characters that have ever been in mario party in any game past or future, playable.

would buy it instantly.

WiiUseeker2

ThePirateCaptain

My favorite Mario Party will always be 7, but I enjoy them all. Mario Party 9 was different, but still good. It feels new for once, and is a nice change of pace. I still prefer the board setup of the previous games, but it's nice to shake things up now and then.

ThePirateCaptain

3DS Friend Code: 3523-2096-8169 | Nintendo Network ID: Capn_Pancakes

WiiUseeker2

CapnPancakes wrote:

My favorite Mario Party will always be 7, but I enjoy them all. Mario Party 9 was different, but still good. It feels new for once, and is a nice change of pace. I still prefer the board setup of the previous games, but it's nice to shake things up now and then.

I really loved mario party #2, and some other ones.

Edited on by WiiUseeker2

WiiUseeker2

ISE-Pete

CapnPancakes wrote:

I'm all about OG Mario Party 1! Bring on the hand blisters!

To be honest I havn't owned a Mario Party since #3, but I'm kind of excited for 10. I heard bad things about the car, but I'm a sucker for anything that allows more than 4 players and is open to beginner players. I might just cave on 10, although I think it will review poorly. God how I'd love an EAD-developed Mario Party.

It's Super Effective!!!
https://www.youtube.com/c/itssupereffectiveCanada

Twitter:

WiiUseeker2

ISE-Pete wrote:

CapnPancakes wrote:

I'm all about OG Mario Party 1! Bring on the hand blisters!

To be honest I havn't owned a Mario Party since #3, but I'm kind of excited for 10. I heard bad things about the car, but I'm a sucker for anything that allows more than 4 players and is open to beginner players. I might just cave on 10, although I think it will review poorly. God how I'd love an EAD-developed Mario Party.

mario party 9 felt like the most babied almost condescending, watered down minimal tiny teeny weenie baby game ever. it was embarrassing.

this is just my opinion though.

WiiUseeker2

DBPirate

NintyMan wrote:

Bowser Jr. spaces and minigames are back, so that rules out Bowser Jr. being playable again.

Hey, as long as Bowser Jr.'s in the game. Pretty silly how he got into Smash and not Mario Kart 8, not surprised to see him being non-playable yet again.

Currently playing: Bayonetta 2

My Nintendo: DillPickle | Nintendo Network ID: Czechmate1129

KB90

One further question, will 1 Amibbo open all the boards?

KB90

ISE-Pete

WiiUseeker2 wrote:

mario party 9 felt like the most babied almost condescending, watered down minimal tiny teeny weenie baby game ever. it was embarrassing.

this is just my opinion though.

Would you say based on what you've seen on MP10, it's going to change that? I want to be excited for a Mario Party game again.

Edited on by ISE-Pete

It's Super Effective!!!

Twitter:

ISE-Pete

KB90 wrote:

One further question, will 1 Amibbo open all the boards?

I believe it's one amiibo = one board. They all look pretty similar outside of a stage gimmick.

It's Super Effective!!!

Twitter:

Flopsy86

I quite liked Mario Party 9, it's that Mario Party that is very different from the other 8. Yes it's watered down and incredibly patronising in places but it did have some awesome minigames and there is tons of room for improving on this entry which makes me more excited about what MP10 will bring. And besides I religiously hate Mario Party 8 and seeing Mario Party 9 being totally different was a sigh of relief for me because Mario Party 8 was the worst in the series!

I still play MP9 regularly because I'm hyped for MP10 and I can win rather regularly so it's not as random as some might say.
MP10 already wins over MP9 anyway because Toadette is very likely to be playable again!

It will be 1 amiibo unlocks it's relative board I believe.
I'll be getting 3 amiibos at release: Mario, Toad and Yoshi so it means I'll only be able to play Mario's, Toad's and Yoshi's boards. Just having 1 amiibo means you're able to access the amiibo mode though provided you have a compatible one.

I believe NPC characters make cameos on particular amiibo boards aswell.

Edited on by Flopsy86

Flopsy86

Nintendo Network ID: Flopsy86

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.