Forums

Topic: Mario Overkill

Posts 101 to 109 of 109

jariw

UGXwolf wrote:

Ok, lemme just point out: Mario Maker is a software tool. It helps make user-created content. And it's the only actual Mario game in the entire Digital Event (which is what the joke was about, that there wouldn't be any Mario games in the Digital Event.) Mario Party 10, while featuring Mario and his pals, should not be classified in the same group as Mario Maker as it is a PARTY game. Not a Platformer. Mario Vs. DK is even further, being a PUZZLE game and not actually featuring Mario, himself, but a bunch of wind-up toys based on Mario.

In addition to this, the new Mario vs. DK is also a software tool. The Workshop is for user-created content that can be shared through the built-in Miiverse integration.

jariw

unrandomsam

There is loads of Mario VS Donkey Kong games in the new style. (Just one or two including GB Donkey Kong) in the old style.
There is loads of Mario Party games.

Mario Maker is a good idea.

Captain Toad if they manage to put as much variety as 3d World itself had into it then it will be good. (I suspect it will be barebones like NSMBU).

Yoshi there has just been one for better or for worse.

“30fps Is Not a Good Artistic Decision, It's a Failure”
Freedom of the press is for those who happen to own one.

UGXwolf

unrandomsam wrote:

There is loads of Mario VS Donkey Kong games in the new style. (Just one or two including GB Donkey Kong) in the old style.
There is loads of Mario Party games.

Mario Maker is a good idea.

Captain Toad if they manage to put as much variety as 3d World itself had into it then it will be good. (I suspect it will be barebones like NSMBU).

Yoshi there has just been one for better or for worse.

You're looking at it in the grand scale, though. I'm looking at the Wii U, and I don't see any way to play Mario Vs. Donkey Kong on Wii U, and I only see MP2, 8, and 9 on Wii U. I don't feel like going back to buy 9, but 10 isn't out yet, there's still hope for it.

Assuming Captain Toad will be bare bones would be silly, considering we've already seen that they plan on adding variety to it. Nintendo has some extremely clever development teams, for better or worse. Sometimes they're too clever and no one really gets it (I'm not calling that a good thing), but the point is that if they want to take something as limited as Captain Toad and turn it into a full-scale retail game, I bet you they can do it. Plus, we still don't know the price. We only know it's retail. It could be anywhere from $30 to $60.

If Mario Maker is a good idea, why are you griping about it?

And what do you mean "Yoshi there has just been one for better or for worse." I honestly don't get the point or meaning of this sentence.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

unrandomsam

I never griped about Mario Maker (If they make a Mario Maker 2 in the near future that will annoy me).

There was just Yoshi's New Island (So it should be rested for a while).

For better or for worse is used when you don't really want to imply that it is a good or bad thing.

British site so I use British English. (I would write in US English on say Nintendo World Report despite how boring I think it is).

“30fps Is Not a Good Artistic Decision, It's a Failure”
Freedom of the press is for those who happen to own one.

bubble_bear

Dave24 wrote:

So what's wrong with that? It's only title, what really matters is the game itself.

While I wanna agree with this concept, it really doesn't hold water. If you swapped out the cast of Star Fox and replaced it with generic human soldiers flying futuristic jets and called it "STAR BATTLE" but kept the game mechanics the same, I don't think people would be clamoring over the prospect of a new sequel 20 some years later. Characters and unique art direction helps to really push games to become memorable experiences. Nintendo's way of doing things is a bit more complicated because they often change art direction, yet carry over the same core "cast" or "world" for a lot of different games. Nintendo has done a great job of building upon the assumption that if a game is associated with Mario it will be high quality. Mario is now essentially a premium brand. While this is a great achievement from a marketing standpoint it also comes with a price — Nintendo now leans on the "Mario" branding for most of their titles, even if the gameplay has nothing to do with the mainline platformer gameplay, because it pretty much automatically boosts sales. That being said, I personally would like to see Ninty taking more risks, especially after the great fanfare for Splatoon. I think the topic is half right. I like my Mario titles, but it would be nice to see them scattered among some new IP more often than Nintendo has done over the past decade.

Edited on by bubble_bear

bubble_bear

MAN1AC

UGXwolf wrote:

MAN1AC wrote:

What some of you are failing to realize is that all of those games are indeed counted as Mario games because Nintendo intentionally put the Mario name on the box because sales would benefit from association with the franchise. If Mario is in the name then its a Mario game. That's really not disputable.

In the most literal sense, yes, but it's a massive disservice to gamers as a whole to just call them all Mario games. It's painfully unspecific and it defeats the purpose of referring to it by the franchise. We can all agree that Super Mario 64 and Mario Party play absolutely nothing alike, so why in the name of greater gaming would anyone refer to them under the same banner?

This is like saying the Battle Network games aren't classified as Mega Man games because the gameplay is different or Pokemon snap isnt a Pokemon game because its not a typical Pokemon rpg. You can't selectively choose which one counts and what doesn't...especially when the name is right there on the front of the game.

Mario Party, Mario vs DK, and whatever other software Nintendo decides to put the Mario name on is a Mario game

Four more months until Bayonetta 2.

3DS Friend Code: 0705-3088-6988 | Nintendo Network ID: MANIAC64

skywake

GuSolarFlare wrote:

fanboys, when they aren't saying all is perfect in whatever they like they are busy complaining about something...
especially Nintendo fanboys, complain about the lack of new games and excess of remakes then Nintendo announces codename S.T.E.A.M. and they complain how they wanted Majora's Mask 3DS instead... :/

But that's what the internet is about. You're either complaining about something, defending something or complaining about the people who are complaining/defending. All of the people who don't really care or are just too busy enjoying their content aren't on the internet at all.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

GuSolarFlare

skywake wrote:

GuSolarFlare wrote:

fanboys, when they aren't saying all is perfect in whatever they like they are busy complaining about something...
especially Nintendo fanboys, complain about the lack of new games and excess of remakes then Nintendo announces codename S.T.E.A.M. and they complain how they wanted Majora's Mask 3DS instead... :/

But that's what the internet is about. You're either complaining about something, defending something or complaining about the people who are complaining/defending. All of the people who don't really care or are just too busy enjoying their content aren't on the internet at all.

yup, that's why I stop using the internet (browser) for a while every time I get a new game

goodbyes are a sad part of life but for every end there's a new beggining so one must never stop looking forward to the next dawn
now working at IBM as helpdesk analyst
my Backloggery

3DS Friend Code: 3995-7085-4333 | Nintendo Network ID: GustavoSF

UGXwolf

@MAN1AC Then don't call them anything. It's a stupid classification that shouldn't exist. If Mario's involved, then whatever. It is what it is, but I think we can both agree that Mario Bros has an entirely different audience add Mario Kart, Battle Network has a completely different audience than Mega Man X, and Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed clearly isn't aimed at the same audience that enjoyed Sonic 2.

For that matter, let's look at another series I'm find of. I don't call them Jak & Daxter games because the first one plays nothing like the next two. Nor do I classify Jak X with Jak 2 and 3. This isn't because if names or characters or even premise. This is because I can't guarantee that someone whoenjoyed Jak 2 will enjoy the original our the racing game as they play and feel nothing alike. It's a dumb classification system that gets horribly misused and needs to change.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.