Forums

Topic: Super Mario Maker - OT

Posts 4,681 to 4,700 of 4,835

Rexcalibr

@Gremstein: I feel the same way. I had a blast with this game the first couple months it was out. Now id rather watch videos of people playing it than actually play.

Rexcalibr

whodatninja

I got bored after a month or so. I got the amiibo/book bundle but I haven't even used the amiibo yet. I just like looking at it I guess. But to Nintendo's credit, they no longer need to make a Mario 2D game ever again, as there's pretty much an endless supply of levels here. (That is, if they don't delete them all someday)

I don't even think it was that great a level creator, it's a bit too restrictive. RIP slopes!

whodatninja

Nintendo Network ID: whodatninja117

Rexcalibr

I still think it's a great game and tool for creating levels. Im just not that good at it and don't have the patience or creativity to make good levels.

Rexcalibr

Maxz

I don't think the level editor is particularly restrictive. The impact of slopes on the game is overstated in my opinion, has become a bit of a parroted comment that's been repeatedly brought up as much more interesting features have been added to the game (and in some cases overlooked). Yes, you could run up them, and get some rad combos sliding down them, and I WOULD welcome their inclusion (for aesthetics as much as anything else), but I don't think think they're the byword for Mario Maker's deficiency that some people treat them as.

I think the main thing that's put people off the game is simply that making good Mario levels is hard. Really hard. Not because the tools are obtuse or awkward, but just because producing level design that feels fresh, balanced, and most of all, fun - is a very difficult art to master. It demands both subtlety and boldness, and above all, an awful lot of patience.

After the initial honeymoon period (when everybody was too busy being thrilled by the mad possibilities available to worry about anything deeper), I think many people came to the conclusion that they didn't have the patience or inclination to keep plugging away at their own creations. And in terms of playing other's, it didn't help that the ranking system largely threw up bland 'crowd-pleasers' rather than levels of any depth or distinction (or that the code based level sharing system was clunky and time consuming).

I think that despite making an accessible level creation tool that is easy to get to grips with, Nintendo probably also created the hardest game to master on the Wii U. Not Dark Souls hard (I should really be scolded for using this expression, having not played a single Dark Souls game), but hard in a completely different sense. If I've learnt one thing from Mario Maker, it's that if you thought playing games was hard, try making them.

Despite this, I think that initial honeymoon period of creative madness was still a fantastic time in gaming for almost everyone involved, and certainly expanded people's experience of Mario games more than any new New Super Mario Bros. title could have come close to. Beyond that, the game revealed itself as more esoteric than the "anyone can make it, everyone can play it" tagline suggested, but I think it still remains a brilliant tool for those with the inclination, and a fantastic, bold addition to the Wii U's library.

Slopes or no slopes.

Edited on by Maxz

My Mario Maker Bookmark Page
Spla2oon Ranks: SZ: X | TC: X | RM: X | CB: X
HAVE BEEN ENJOY A BOOM

Switch Friend Code: SW-5609-8195-9688 | Nintendo Network ID: Maxzly | Twitter:

Freeon-Leon

Exactly what @Maxz said. I don't think SMM is as limited as people like to think. You can create amazing levels, it's just that good level design is harder than it seems.

Edited on by Freeon-Leon

Check out my super awesome Super Mario Maker levels.

3DS Friend Code: 4596-9585-5314 | Nintendo Network ID: JahirBGoode

Grumblevolcano

I think SMM's biggest flaw is the overkill of auto and spam levels when playing 100 Mario challenge. I tried out Hard mode again yesterday but there were still plenty of spam levels meanwhile Normal mode is generally over 50% auto.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

shani

Gremstein wrote:

I have to say I'm jealous of all of you guys who are still having so much fun with this game. I tried to give it my best shot because I loved the concept.. but I found myself bored with it really fast. I was looking forward to all the creative levels people would come up with.. but it turned out to be nothing but a mass of "auto play music" and "lets see how ridiculously and impossibly hard we can make this" levels.

That's probably because you left the game prematurely and didn't notice the changes that came afterwards.
The bookmark portal for example was a huge game-changer for me, since they introduced it I play a lot more Mario Maker than before. In fact, before there were bookmarks, I was exactly like you, I hadeffectively stopped playing MM, because of the sheer mass of boring levels.
But then I tried out the bookmark portal and there were sooooo many ingenious creative levels - exactly what you're looking for - that it kept me playing.
And not only that, those awesome levels that I got to enjoy thanks to the bookmarks actually inspired me to create more courses myself.

So to answer your question: It's 90% the bookmark portal and maybe 10% the new tools and event courses (those with costumes) that keep me coming back.
You should try it out, it's amazing!

@Grumblevolcano: I don't even get why people still play the 100 Mario challenge? I quickly ditched that mode because it's just no fun. Either the levels are too easy or just really badly designed (but you know you can skip them, right?).
Whenever I want to play a little Mario Maker, I go to my bookmarks. I still got tons of promising bookmarks that I haven't played yet, just because there are so many awesome levels to find at the bookmark portal. So at this point I even think it's 'wrong' to play the 100 Mario mode, because it doesn't give you the 'true' Mario Maker experience, it just gives you crappy levels while the really good and creative efforts can only be found through the bookmark portal.
You won't find many auto levels there - and if you do, you can just ignore them. The great thing about the bookmark site is that it gives you freedom and not only lets you choose, but also lets you filter.

And BTW: Would anyone like to play my new level, Up/Down (comments on!)?

Edited on by shani

My GOTY? Legend Of Zelda: Splat of the child. Ah no, I meant LoZ: Breath of the SPLATOOOON!

NLInklings Discord server | My Youtube channel

Switch Friend Code: SW-3298-8343-1900 | Nintendo Network ID: shani_ace | Twitter:

Grumblevolcano

@shani: Unlockable mystery mushroom costumes, for example if you want to create a Wind Waker themed stage with Toon Link and Tetra then you have to play normal mode 100 Mario Challenge repeatedly to unlock the Tetra costume (and similarly with Toon Link if you don't have the amiibo).

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

shani

@Grumblevolcano: Oh yeah, that. I also had some ideas that involved a lot of specific costumes, so I occasionally played the 100 Mario mode in the first month. But I just gave up. Playing 10 crappy levels for one costume is just not worth it.
They should instead be unlocked by clearing one level, just like the event courses.
Or even better: If there is ever a sequel, they should make it so that every level clear gives you a new costume.

My GOTY? Legend Of Zelda: Splat of the child. Ah no, I meant LoZ: Breath of the SPLATOOOON!

Switch Friend Code: SW-3298-8343-1900 | Nintendo Network ID: shani_ace | Twitter:

Maxz

@shani: Yeah, I mean you're right about everything to do with 100 Mario Challenge, but the answer to why people play them is still straightforward. Some people want the costumes, either because they simply like collecting things, or because they want a specific character. So yeah have that appeal to a lot of people.

What you've said is much more substantial and helpful to people who feel a bit 'burnt out' with the game, but that simple fact shouldn't be overlooked.

My Mario Maker Bookmark Page
Spla2oon Ranks: SZ: X | TC: X | RM: X | CB: X
HAVE BEEN ENJOY A BOOM

Switch Friend Code: SW-5609-8195-9688 | Nintendo Network ID: Maxzly | Twitter:

shani

@Maxz: Don't get me wrong, there are still a lot of costumes that I'd like to have, especially for my 'evolution' level idea that I had right when I bought the game. But I just gave up on it, collecting the costumes through the 100 Mario mode is more like a painful chore than like playing a game, it's zero fun.
So that's why I don't understand why anyone would put themselves through this.
It was the reason why I virtually didn't play MM between September and December (and I still wouldn't be playing it without the bookmarks).
How do you guys even motivate yourselves to do it? I want the costumes too but not that badly, they're just costumes, they have no special abilities (which would be a huge incentive to get them otherwise) and what's worse, you only can use them in one graphical mode (the most ugly one of the four).
Honestly, I want the costumes, but I just couldn't stand it. I'd rather let someone else endure those horrible 100 Mario levels and unlock the costumes for me. Because it's such a waste of time, I'd rather play Splatoon instead or do something else.

Edited on by shani

Felibert

Just posted a new level I think Metroid or Zelda fans may like. It's story based with some puzzle aspects.

"Wii U Legends: Escape From Sulkey"

E478-0000-020A-3F00

Story:
The Princess is in hiding and all of Nintendo’s beloved mascots are in danger! After intercepting a distress message by the Pikmin who, along with their guardians are imprisoned at Sulkey’s HQ by the evil emperor Shida and his minions, The Mii Rebel Alliance decided to act. The Pikmin warned of Shida’s diabolical scheme to build powerful prototypes of all of Nintendo’s mascots and drain them of their Viica - the creative power and individuality that gives them life - they warned that “if someone doesn’t retrieve the scared artifact before they complete their Proto Bowser… all will be lost!”

Mario accompanied by Samus Aran has infiltrated Sulkey’s HQ base but will they be too late? Will they find the sacred artifact before Shida completes his Proto Bowser? Who, if any of our beloved heroes will make it out alive? You decide! in “Wii U Legends: Escape From Sulkey”

P.S: Kudos to anyone who finds and makes it out of the level with the Pikmin, their guardians or their sacred artifact. Please take a screenshot if you do! (Or if you defeat Proto Bowser/The Conductor Bros/ and or manage to break a certain anti-hero out of Sulkey)

Edited on by Felibert

Felibert

Felibert

shani wrote:

@Felibert: I bookmarked your level for some other time, BTW made it into a link for you since that's easier to share.

Thank you so much!
I hope you enjoy it!

Felibert

spizzamarozzi

Help needed: I'm looking for a level I have played in October or November.
It was in the charts back then and I starred it, but I have starred so many levels since, it doesnt show up anymore.

Basically, the level was a confined, single underwater room/screen filled with goombas. As goombas just float underwater (they can't swim), the idea was to swim from point A to point B (the pipe) without touching the floating goombas. The level looked like one of those water toys from the 80s - it was adorable.

IIRC the author was japanese and it was done with SMB or SMB3 graphics.
The SMM bookmarks website wasn't of help.
I could easily recreate the level myself and save a lot of time, but the original was so well done, I want to give credit to the original author (assuming I have played the original and not a rip off).

anybody played this level?!

Top-10 games I played in 2017: The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild (WiiU) - Rogue Legacy (PS3) - Fallout 3 (PS3) - Red Dead Redemption (PS3) - Guns of Boom (MP) - Sky Force Reloaded (MP) - ...

3DS Friend Code: 0104-0649-7464 | Nintendo Network ID: spizzamarozzi

SilverStarApple

It's called Beautiful Madness As Nauseum by Epsilon7. 35A0-0000-0212-4194. As of right now, its clear rate is 0%. It has absolutely no clears. Many attempts, but no clears.

SilverStarApple

Rumorlife

I can't wait for all the Starfy themed levels to come in. It's one of the few costumes that they've come up with recently I'd actually use

Rumorlife

likandoo

Hey Guys

I think some of you might know me already, I stream Super Mario Maker Levels almost every day on Twitch.
The main goal of the stream is to create a nice community where you can get constructive personalized feedback for your levels.

Out of this stream I pick the 3 best levels every week and make a Highlight Video about it. And these levels are really awesome I promise!

So I would be very happy if you check this series out and give me some feedback about it!

likandoo

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.