Forums

Topic: Super Mario Maker - OT

Posts 4,001 to 4,020 of 4,835

veeflames

@DreamyViridi: Thanks for the feedback. I feel like some of my stages are like that because I didn't have all the tools I wanted, so I had to compensate for that using enemies and platforms. Now that I just got all my tools maybe I'll remake my current courses. Did you play The Trials of the Sky Dungeons yet? I think you'll enjoy playing that one better.

Edited on by veeflames

God first.
My Switch FC: SW824410196326

3DS Friend Code: 1134-8006-9637 | Nintendo Network ID: VolcanoFlames

DreamyViridi

@Vee_Flames: Oh I did actually. That level is much more organised and I liked the concept.
BTW, noticed the link in your signature. That link just leads to the "my levels" section and I see my own levels instead of yours. Use this link: https://www.nintendolife.com/super-mario-maker/users/Vee_Flames

Once a LuigiMan, now a Dreamy representation of the Goddess of Nature.
Retired Palutena Gem Provider.
Mario Maker Levels

Switch Friend Code: SW-6593-3528-8788 | 3DS Friend Code: 0688-5405-0932 | Nintendo Network ID: LuigiMan200

veeflames

@DreamyViridi: Gosh. What'll I ever do without you?
Thanks very much! I'll edit it immediately.

God first.

j-BL00D

@Chandlero: Thanks for the video! I LOLed at 2:50 when the plant crushed Yoshi. It was like "noooo, so close......." The Chomp guarding the P Switch can be a real neussance and while Bullet Bills are shooting. The shooter was originally red but that was making it too difficult. I wanted to make a medium difficulty instead of my usual hard to insane ones Thanks again!

My Super Mario Maker Bookmark Page
Nintendo Network ID: Justin
[url=https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCcV3...

JonSpangler

Long time since I posted. Yet only 2 levels made (bringing the grand total up to a whopping 4)

Just winged it Hope it takes off (A6D3-0000-0151-8C4C). The newest level. A SMB3 ground/airship level. Multiple paths to take, but nothing that will get you lost, with opportunities to switch your path.

Just for the halibut (B9F2-0000-0116-F4DB). An underwater level with sunken ships and a little trip topside. Also has a (not so hidden) pipe that leads to plenty of coins. Bookmark has it as an expert course. But I think its just lack of plays.

Wife made some very cool levels. Including some musical ones.

Yo Ho (A Pirate's Life for me) (Easy) (B35E-0000-0113-D472) A very good musical level inspired by Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean.

She also just uploaded an excellent musical level featuring samples of various Simpsons melodies. No code for it on me but check out her courses on MM and give it a play to and a star if you enjoyed it.

Thanks.

JonSpangler

Twitter:

Maxz

@DreamyViridi: I'm really glad you enjoyed it! Do you have any comments or criticisms to make, even minor ones? I've tweaked the level a bit based on @smm1 and @Chandlero 's feedback/videos (which have been extremely valuable), but I'd like as many comments as possible before I upload it. Basically, I've stuck in more arrows at the beginning, and fixed the issue where the coin trail at the end would be turned into blocks if you went through the pipe before the P-Switch timer ended. I noticed it kinda messed up Chandlero's flagpole sequence. I'm really happy you got some of the secret 1-Ups though! I spent quite a long time trying to work them into the level.

@j-BL00D: I really liked your Single Screen level. I though it was very nicely connected, and relatively intuitive. The only bit I found slightly awkward was the Yoshi/Treadmill/Chain-Chomp/P-Switch contraption, which seemed to involve a bit of luck as you could only safely jump when the CC had launched in a certain direction, and Yoshi wouldn't necessarily be at the right place to jump even then due to him bouncing off the wall. I was initially cautious about playing another one of your levels, as Tiny Bowser Tower has - I'm pretty sure - scarred me for life, but I had a lot of fun with The Last Order so I'm glad I got over my fears!

@Vee_Flames: I generally quite liked the Shipwreck level, but some bits felt a bit too claustrophobic, while others felt a little too open and vague (I preffered the open, vague bits though!). I'd say my favourite bit was the P-Switch dash which temporarily took you back into a section of the maze that you'd got a glimpse of earlier, and my least favourite bit was being stuck in the maze with some combination of Kamek spells, Bloopers, Homing Bills and Galoombas approaching, with not space to dodge. Water levels are kind of tricky, but I think my favourite ones have incorporated puzzle-elements into their underwater labyrinths, rather than relying on a barrage of enemies to provide the challenge.

I'll try the Trials next!

My Mario Maker Bookmark Page
Spla2oon Ranks: SZ: X | TC: X | RM: X | CB: X
HAVE BEEN ENJOY A BOOM

Switch Friend Code: SW-5609-8195-9688 | Nintendo Network ID: Maxzly | Twitter:

veeflames

[quote=Maxz]@Vee_Flames: I generally quite liked the Shipwreck level, but some bits felt a bit too claustrophobic, while others felt a little too open and vague (I preffered the open, vague bits though!). I'd say my favourite bit was the P-Switch dash which temporarily took you back into a section of the maze that you'd got a glimpse of earlier, and my least favourite bit was being stuck in the maze with some combination of Kamek spells, Bloopers, Homing Bills and Galoombas approaching, with not space to dodge. Water levels are kind of tricky, but I think my favourite ones have incorporated puzzle-elements into their underwater labyrinths, rather than relying on a barrage of enemies to provide the challenge.[quote]

@Maxz Ah, I see. Thanks very much for the feedback. You and DreamyViridi pretty much gave the same criticism, so I guess it's back to the drawing board for me. I didn't think the enemies would provide a challenge, though. You can stomp on the Galoombas and then use it to take out the other enemies.
Anyway, thanks to you and @DreamyViridi for playing my stage and providing constructive feedback. Really appreciate it!

God first.

SuperWiiU

Chandlero wrote:

@j-BL00D: You are welcome. I felt the same way at 2:50

@SuperWiiU: A new speedrun challenge is there: @Freeon-Leon's High Note Hijinks. I have the world record but there is a lot of time to save. You can watch my run here.

I improved your time. I had a really great run, but hit one of the bouncers near the end wrong, so there' still a lot to gain. The bookmark site was really fast and has already updated it:
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/A489-000...

DreamyViridi

@Vee_Flames: Any time.
@Maxz: Well, when playing; I died at the zig-zag bit with the P-Switch. That zig-zag path could be a bit shorter to allow the player a bit more space and room for error but other than that, I was OK with everything else!

Mario Maker Levels

Switch Friend Code: SW-6593-3528-8788 | 3DS Friend Code: 0688-5405-0932 | Nintendo Network ID: LuigiMan200

Chobin

Would anyone be willing to try out my levels in my signature so I could get some feedback on them? They're my first two real levels after unlocking enough of the tools to make anything decent. They're kind of lacking in terms of actual content, especially the 'A wizard did it' level, but that's something I'm going to work on.

Mario Maker levels:
The sub-par trials of Mar-cules : 6255-0000-012B-488A
A wizard did it. : 9340-0000-0132-4ADE

AdamLikesNintend

@DreamyViridi: Sorry, yes, I did make some tweaks and delete and reupload it. You can find it here now: https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/5A99-000...

I may need to tweak it a little more too so I definitely appreciate any feedback you might have.

@Chobin: Sure. I suggest posting the link to the bookmark website so people can just easily bookmark them though.

@SuperWiiU: Oh I see... that makes sense

Edited on by AdamLikesNintend

My Super Mario Maker Courses

3DS Friend Code: 5300-9395-3820 | Nintendo Network ID: adamlikesyou

Chobin

@AdamLikesNintend: Ah, sorry. I'm new here, so not sure how to do everything yet. I couldn't figure out where to find the Miiverse URL so I couldn't add that to give the levels the screenshot, unfortunately. Thankfully it looks like there's an edit feature for the levels I put up on the bookmark site, so I can add the screenshots as soon as someone tells me where to get the URL for the levels.

...Hm. Well, not sure how to fix that, either.

Edited on by Chobin

Mario Maker levels:

AdamLikesNintend

@Chobin: Honestly I don't know how to embed either. I just post the link. I don't mean your Nintendo Life pages for the courses though. To be perfectly honest, I don't know why people are still using that. I mean your Super Mario Maker Bookmark site pages. This is what I am talking about: https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/profile/Chobin.o...
Then you can go to each course and copy the url for each one as you can see in my previous posts. That way people can just click bookmark and they will pop up for us when we are playing. People like when things are easy.

The link is actually the same for all of the courses except for the course number at the end so I am able to go to them with a little bit of copy and paste.
e.g.: https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/6255-000...

Edited on by AdamLikesNintend

DreamyViridi

Chobin wrote:

@AdamLikesNintend: Ah, sorry. I'm new here, so not sure how to do everything yet. I couldn't figure out where to find the Miiverse URL so I couldn't add that to give the levels the screenshot, unfortunately. Thankfully it looks like there's an edit feature for the levels I put up on the bookmark site, so I can add the screenshots as soon as someone tells me where to get the URL for the levels.

<iframe width="600" height="300" src="https://www.nintendolife.com/embed/super-mario-maker/levels/6255-0000-012B-488A" frameborder="0"></iframe>

<iframe width="600" height="300" src="https://www.nintendolife.com/embed/super-mario-maker/levels/9340-0000-0132-4ADE" frameborder="0"></iframe>

...Hm. Well, not sure how to fix that, either.

See what I highlighted in bold. You put that into a post, leaving a "enter" space before and after the link. The embedding then does its job, like so...

Edited on by DreamyViridi

Mario Maker Levels

Chobin

@AdamLikesNintend: Oh! That's pretty cool. I wonder why someone thought there needed to be a secondary bookmark site when Nintendo has their own official one? Did Nintendo come out with theirs late or something?

https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/9340-000...
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/6255-000...

There we go! Thank you very much.

@DreamyViridi: And thank you, too! Fixed my previous post up.

Edited on by Chobin

Mario Maker levels:

DreamyViridi

@AdamLikesNintend: I played the level and generally liked what was going on at the beginning there. I could do without the lakitus at the end there but that's just me.

Mario Maker Levels

FattyWhale_42

I went back and totally re-worked my first level. Now there're 4 ways to get past the first section, 3 ways to get past the second section, and 2 ways to get to the goal. The best part is, I was able to accomplish this without having to water-down the original design.

That's one thing I really like about this game, try something, fail, re-work it, repeat!

https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/16D5-000...

Edited on by FattyWhale_42

FattyWhale_42

Switch Friend Code: SW-4410-3079-4430

DreamyViridi

I've finished making improvements to "Underground Koopa Car Park". I added more to take advantage of the spare space in the overworld, added an extra checkpoint right before the boss and changed said boss. Let me know what you think.

https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/B6CB-000...

Here's a link to the previous one if anyone's interested but I'll be deleting it in a few days:
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/0418-000...

Edited on by DreamyViridi

Mario Maker Levels

AdamLikesNintend

Chobin wrote:

@AdamLikesNintend: Oh! That's pretty cool. I wonder why someone thought there needed to be a secondary bookmark site when Nintendo has their own official one? Did Nintendo come out with theirs late or something?

Yes, Nintendo Life had a fairly robust course app online months before Nintendo came out with one that doesn't even let you write a description. But the Nintendo one does let you bookmark them to play later and that is definitely the most important feature.

@DreamyViridi: Thanks! It sounds like there isn't really anything you think I should change then. I am really iffy on the lakitus myself though. In case it wasn't totally obvious, I just wanted to cram in the fire koopa car because I think it's awesome and I hadn't used it yet. The end is a bit of an illusion though... you can use the mega man power up to get to the flower by taking the damage and then use the flower to get to the axe pretty quickly without killing anything. Also, the lakitus at the top actually just drop coins. I might just as soon take it out and save it for a shooter course. Maybe I should just replace that section with another little sequence of self-triggered events like the opening of the course.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.