Forums

Topic: Super Mario Maker - OT

Posts 2,961 to 2,980 of 4,835

Harvan

sjmartin wrote:

Can you describe the "Athletics" theme? I've played both of those games to death, but I'm not sure what you mean by that theme.

One more theme I'd want is a Winter/Snow theme.

In SMB3 World 1-2, and Yoshi's Island 3 in SMW, the level has a different background music and somewhat different background graphics than each game's first level(s), though the levels themselves are still set outdoors. In both cases, this theme tended to be used more for auto-scrolling and aerial-jumping levels (where you had to cross by jumping across moving platforms rather than having ground to work with).

In SMB3, the BGM is faster, higher-energy and more playful than the song used in 1-1. In SMW, the primary instrument for the BGM sounds like a honky-tonk piano.

Also, I believe the official title of the SMB3 BGM I'm referring to is "Blue Sky Athletics", as its remix was titled that in Super Mario Galaxy.

Edited on by Harvan

Please try my Mario Maker Levels: https://www.nintendolife.com/super-mario-maker/users/Harvan
My Nintendo Network ID: KieferSkunk

spizzamarozzi

@GIR: I just beat it - it's a good level, but was it a conscious decision to put P-Switches inside ? blocks rather than having them coming out of pipes or cannon?! I had to reset a number of times because I didn't know that you have to use one P-Switch to activate the blocks in two sections (near the end of the level) or because the turtle shell destroyed the ? block with the P-Switch inside...good level though, had fun playing it! Will make sure to try your other levels.

my latest level is still miserably stuck at ONE completition out of 121 tries - and it's not even a hard one - give it a try please!
89DD-0000-00A4-A023

Top-10 games I played in 2017: The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild (WiiU) - Rogue Legacy (PS3) - Fallout 3 (PS3) - Red Dead Redemption (PS3) - Guns of Boom (MP) - Sky Force Reloaded (MP) - ...

3DS Friend Code: 0104-0649-7464 | Nintendo Network ID: spizzamarozzi

Freeon-Leon

@Harvan: I'll download your level tonight and give the best advice I can for each of those parts. As of now, I'd recommend you try all the solutions you said and playtest them with your wife, that way you both can decide wich iteration is more fun. btw, that room where you have to fly is fun, your wife is right, that's like the best part of SMW

@sjmartin: Thanks! That's awesome to hear. Actually there's some kind of pattern in my levels, I hope it helps whenever you want to build a traditional level!

For more great traditional levels I recommend you all to check @MasterWario 's levels, that guy is such a good maker. I always try to make my levels better than his, it's sort of a healthy competition I have in my mind.

Oh and If someone wants some help or advice with a level feel free to ask

Edited on by Freeon-Leon

Check out my super awesome Super Mario Maker levels.

3DS Friend Code: 4596-9585-5314 | Nintendo Network ID: JahirBGoode

GIR

spizzamarozzi wrote:

@GIR: I just beat it - it's a good level, but was it a conscious decision to put P-Switches inside ? blocks rather than having them coming out of pipes or cannon?!

my latest level is still miserably stuck at ONE completition out of 121 tries - and it's not even a hard one - give it a try please!
89DD-0000-00A4-A023

Yes. I'm not a big fan of putting things into pipes (or cannons) that were not traditionally in pipes in Mario games. There are exceptions to the rule if course but imo p-switches are block items.

I will give your level a go

alephbetnun

Hey guys! Been meaning to share my little collection of levels here on the main thread...would love it if they got some plays/stars (been pretty slow coming in the star department, LOL).

Also, quick question that I would really appreciate some help on - any idea why the last level (Double Tree Trouble) won't show the level picture? I copied the link from the associated Miiverse post to it, but it won't work for whatever reason...anyway, thanks a ton to anybody who can help me out or play my levels!

Edited on by alephbetnun

Mario Kart Main: Mii (Mid-Weight) w/ Gold Kart, Gold Tires, MKTV Parafoil (VR: 3100+)
Smash Bros. Main: Olimar
Splatoon Main: Octobrush (Rank: S)
My Super Mario Maker Levels: https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/profile/redneckgamer3826?type=posted

Harvan

redneckgamer3826 wrote:

Also, quick question that I would really appreciate some help on - any idea why the last level (Double Tree Trouble) won't show the level picture? I copied the link from the associated Miiverse post to it, but it won't work for whatever reason...

I had this happen to one of my levels too. I just edited the entry, re-copied the Miiverse URL and saved the entry again, and it appeared. I'm guessing that they only try once to cache the screenshot on each submit, and if it fails for some reason they don't retry it.

Please try my Mario Maker Levels: https://www.nintendolife.com/super-mario-maker/users/Harvan
My Nintendo Network ID: KieferSkunk

alephbetnun

@Harvan: I see...unfortunately, I've tried that several times now and it still doesn't work, so you must be right. Maybe I'll delete the level and repost it so I can redo the listing on here. (Otherwise it'll bug me, LOL.)

Thanks a ton for your help though!

Mario Kart Main: Mii (Mid-Weight) w/ Gold Kart, Gold Tires, MKTV Parafoil (VR: 3100+)
My Super Mario Maker Levels: https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/profile/redneckgamer3826?type=posted

Freeon-Leon

GIR wrote:

spizzamarozzi wrote:

@GIR: I just beat it - it's a good level, but was it a conscious decision to put P-Switches inside ? blocks rather than having them coming out of pipes or cannon?!

89DD-0000-00A4-A023

Yes. I'm not a big fan of putting things into pipes (or cannons) that were not traditionally in pipes in Mario games. There are exceptions to the rule if course but imo p-switches are block items.

I will give your level a go

Because of that it's pretty easy to get stuck

Edited on by Freeon-Leon

Chandlero

@redneckgamer3826: I played "Double Tree Trouble" and have to say that this was a very nice level. I really enjoyed the Donkey Kong theme and the puzzles. And I have to admit: It took me some time to solve them.

There was just one small flaw with this level: After activating the P-switch you could easily fall to death after the pipe. That happened to me and is frustrating and not needed.

For me I just updated my level "Ghosts and the machine" again. It gets bigger every time but mostly I want to smoothen some details.
So if you played the original, you could tell me if I really improved the level.

Edited on by Chandlero

GIR

spizzamarozzi wrote:

89DD-0000-00A4-A023

Great level. Died a few times due to my own stupidity and a few tricky bits that required perfect timing but certainly not impossible. I knew what do to with the donut and thwomp bit because I have encountered this before. People seem give up really easily these days...

Freeon-Leon wrote:

Because of that is pretty easy to get stuck

Apparently it's a hard level. If you get a p-switch out of a block you know you're only going to get one chance to use it, in a puzzle based level you have to figure out what you need it for before using it. If not it's not the end of the world, you now have knowledge for your next attempt. You don't always have to beat a level the first time you play it.

Edited on by GIR

alephbetnun

@Chandlero: Thanks so much! I apologize for the P-Switch issue, I thought that most people wouldn't move during the fall - apparently I was wrong! I'll probably just deal with the lack of a picture on my NL listing, since I would rather not delete a level with a star on it...thanks for that too.

BTW, tried your new version of the "Ghosts in the Machine" (though haven't played the earlier ones) - beat it first try! Haha, but it wasn't too easy at all, kinda surprised myself. Super well-crafted though - it felt like it was never gonna end, but in the best way possible. Starred (your star total is impressive!) and followed. Thanks again!

Freeon-Leon

@GIR: Hmm, I always thought of it as a design flaw, but if that's intentional things change a bit. I got stuck too many times that it got frustrating but I'll give your level another try later.

Btw, I know what a hard level is, 2 of my levels have like 7% and 8% of clear rate. I know they're not super hard but I guess it's something.

GIR

Freeon-Leon wrote:

@GIR: Hmm, I always thought of it as a design flaw, but if that's intentional things change a bit. I got stuck too many times that it got frustrating but I'll give your level another try later.

I'll expand a bit on what I said. SMB3 is my favorite game of the four so when I design levels I generally approach it keeping that game in mind regardless of which engine I use. I don't remember p-switches coming out of pipes or canons in that game and it wasn't considered a flaw. I remember the tricky fortress in world 8, which had me stumped for months you only had one chance to find the door after activating the p-switch there.

That doesn't mean respawing p-switches don't have a valid use though. I have used p-switches not in blocks on the ground that respawn when you go in and out of a doors. Even though it's not SMB3 design I think this approach is better because it gives the player something to think about and figure out without holding their hand too much.

Freeon-Leon wrote:

Btw, I know what a hard level is, 2 of my levels have like 7% and 8% of clear rate. I know they're not super hard but I guess it's something.

Challenge accepted. I will give your levels a go

GIR

Freeon-Leon wrote:

I'm trying to figure out why those levels completion rates are so low, the first one I did was "Paratroopa Troop Trouble!" and completed it on my second attempt. The only one that gave me any real trouble was "High Note Hijinks" because I'm not too good at jumping on bouncy things especially moving ones Think I died 10 times on that one. It's a solid level though and would not look out of place in SMB. I may be biased but I think this is your 2nd best level. "Donut Touch That!" is another good one in 3rd place. I think your best level is "Bowser's Frosty Fortress" the autoscroll section was great.

Freeon-Leon

@GIR: Haha, I know right? Paratroopa Troop Trouble is not that hard but people just keep dying.

And I agree with you, the autoscroll section of Bowser's Frosty Fortress is, IMO, the best part of any level I've made. I couldn't do a better ending because of the item limit, but it's still pretty decent.

Freeon-Leon

@GIR: Ok, I've beaten your level. Since the first time I played it I thought it was good but getting stuck was kinda of a let down. It's still a little wierd to me that you made it on purpose but as I said before, that changes things a bit now. It deserved a star!

Btw, I also try to make my levels in a way that fits a particular style. In my case it's SMW, it is my favorite game ever so I keep it in mind a lot when I'm making my levels. Although I guess I'll need to use some extra tricks when I run out of ideas. Like giant enemies and that kinda stuff.

@spizzamarozzi: I finally beat your level too. It's still hard as nails, but I didn't feel it as unforgiving as before. I'd say you could tweak it a little more in order to make it more fair, but that's all.

PracticePixie

Maybe I'm a little late to the Mario Maker party (I got it a few weeks ago ) but give this a shot? :3

You might hate it, idk, but I'm pretty proud of it

(Now to go through every level in this thread one at a time and play them xDDDD)

Some of my favorites, please try them :D

We Need Your Help, Star Fox! (Easy)
[url=https://www.nintendolife.com/super-mario-maker/levels/3A22-0000-00AA-EB8D]Escape From Cursed Koopa Castle 1.1(Mediu...

Nintendo Network ID: Ghostlily | Twitter:

Freeon-Leon

@PracticePixie: Your level is really unique. I liked the idea of "flying" on the arwing although it got a little damaged at the end. It's one of the best uses of Fox amiibo that I've seen. And the last part after the pipe really got me, I thought I had to beat a whole new area

PracticePixie

@Freeon-Leon: Thank you so much for the compliment You really made my night~ Tomorrow I'm gonna keep going through this forum like a mad woman but not before playing your levels since you played mine ^_~

Some of my favorites, please try them :D

We Need Your Help, Star Fox! (Easy)
[url=https://www.nintendolife.com/super-mario-maker/levels/3A22-0000-00AA-EB8D]Escape From Cursed Koopa Castle 1.1(Mediu...

Nintendo Network ID: Ghostlily | Twitter:

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.