Forums

Topic: Super Mario Maker - OT

Posts 2,801 to 2,820 of 4,835

Maxz

Hot off the press:

Also, these aren't even mine, but I think this guy is criminally underrated/unknown/under-starred:

EDIT: How d'you get Miiverse posts to turn into that cool box? I tried the 'embedding' thing but it didn't work...

Edited on by Maxz

My Mario Maker Bookmark Page
Spla2oon Ranks: SZ: X | TC: X | RM: X | CB: X
HAVE BEEN ENJOY A BOOM

Switch Friend Code: SW-5609-8195-9688 | Nintendo Network ID: Maxzly | Twitter:

Freeon-Leon

I'll just leave this here, I'll check some of your levels tonight

Freeon-Leon wrote:

I finally finished my castle level. It's got emphasis on momentum and... Ice. So it's a little different from my previous levels. I hope you enjoy it and have fun sliding through the slippery floors.

Don't forget to check my other levels if you haven't played them yet, they're pretty good.

Check out my super awesome Super Mario Maker levels.

3DS Friend Code: 4596-9585-5314 | Nintendo Network ID: JahirBGoode

T-3

Guess I'll try posting some of my (rather hard) levels here as well:

First up is a castle level with multiple paths. I tried to keep all of them a similar difficulty, but with different kinds of challenges. There's also a shortcut that let's you skip past the main paths and another to skip the final boss, but I doubt anyone found them yet

Next are 2 levels based on the infamous Turbo Tunnel from Battletoads. The first is a bit more conventional and easier, while the 2nd has a bit more stuff going on including a little "puzzle" to get a star-powerup

and last is one for Shovel Knight fans

Edited on by T-3

T-3

spizzamarozzi

I understand people complaining for other players who are stingy with the stars or, in most cases, don't even bother to try to finish the level. But I also understand that most stages are played in the 100-Mario Challenge, which makes it harder, for general players, to tollerate tough levels.
I have completed the 100-Mario Challenge on Hard mode four times now, and for the most part has been a miserable experience of pain and pain and more pain. There were a few diamonds in the rough (which I diligently starred) but at some point I was so fatigued, both mentally and physically, that I started skipping levels like there was no tomorrow.
There are times when you are stuck on say, level 11 out of 16, and you keep losing dozens of lives because of levels that kill you instantly the moment they begin - you just want to find a level that you can breeze through without thinking.
However, these are my rules when playing the 100-Mario challenge on hard mode - you may find something worthwhile when you go building your own levels. I skip a level if...

• if I die within the first 3 seconds
  • if the level has a bad ratio of plays vs stars (for example, a level with 100 tries and only 1 star must be kamikaze rubbish)
  • if it has the word "spring" in the title or there are too many springs in sight when it starts
  • if the first thing I have to do is a leap of faith
  • if the first thing I hit is an invisible block or if there's an abuse of invisible blocks
  • if the level is very very long and I die far into it - no way I'm doing everything again. Just because you have wasted your time making it, it doesn't mean I have to waste my time playing it.
  • if I get killed by stompers or other things that I couldn't see on screen - that's an instant-skip, doesn't matter if you are the Michelangelo of Mario Maker. Piss off.
  • if there's too much stuff going on on the first screen, like stacks of enemies and cannonballs and...stuff.

So that's it, from a "player perspective". One hundred lives sounds like a lot, but when you lose most of them to unfair deaths in other stages, you kinda stop being receptive even to the most brilliant level design. Most of the levels I have starred have been picked from here and played with zero pressure - in the 100-Mario Challenge I probably star 3 or 4 out of the 100 I play.
I absolutely adore to play well made hard levels but I'd rather do it outside the 100-Mario Challenge. And even then I would probably skip it if you put too many springs in it.

However, here's my latest level again - sorry for re-posting this but I had to fix a pipe that didn't work, and as suggested by a friend on Miiverse, I have placed a pipe at the end of the level so you can go back and play with other characters. Right now is sitting sadly at 0 stars and 0 plays because it's a re-upload, so have a go and I hope you like it. I tried to make it as player-friendly as possible.

Top-10 games I played in 2017: The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild (WiiU) - Rogue Legacy (PS3) - Fallout 3 (PS3) - Red Dead Redemption (PS3) - Guns of Boom (MP) - Sky Force Reloaded (MP) - ...

3DS Friend Code: 0104-0649-7464 | Nintendo Network ID: spizzamarozzi

OneBagTravel

^tl:dr to get stars, less is more.

don't cram every space in your level with challenging stuff. put in easier parts and make levels shorter.

everyone should go back and play smb3. most of the levels were less than 90 seconds long.

I love traveling light through Europe and run a blog about it at OneBagTravel.com
Hardware: Wii U, New 3DS, Super Famicom & Super GameBoy, Game Boy Pocket

3DS Friend Code: 4399-0976-8690 | Nintendo Network ID: OneBagTravel | Twitter:

sjmartin

So, apologies in advance, but I had to try my hand at creating a Don't Touch Anything level.
I fully admit there's a lot of tweaking and testing involved.

Give it a shot. It's less than 30 seconds.

Mario Maker 2 ID: WKV-KWN-KMF
Luigi’s Twisting Ghost House - QHF-4Q9-3SF
MarioKart Fun-Time Drive - 5MY-7TR-HRG
Toadette’s Speedrun Sprint - 6W1-F24-6FF
Bowser’s Boss Fight Bonanza - 5S2-8WF-5KF
Captain Toad's Adventure - V6G-R6L-8RF
NNID: SJMartin

Twitter:

Harvan

@sjmartin: Hey, I tried your levels tonight, and I like most of them! They're in general very creative and well thought-out. My wife and I especially liked your drunken Peach level - that was funny as hell. Good job!

On your Don't Move, we're starting to get sick of the overuse of sound effects, especially the laser disco one. That one was funny the first few times we came across it, but it seems everyone uses it now, and it kinda just detracts from the levels now. Just my two cents. I otherwise liked it.

Please try my Mario Maker Levels: https://www.nintendolife.com/super-mario-maker/users/Harvan
My Nintendo Network ID: KieferSkunk

jamesRainbowBoy

Here are a few new ones of mine (and a revised level). Especially excited to see who of you can beat the Paranoid Pyramid!!! (It's been especially popular since I uploaded it late last night but so far only two players have cracked it):

King Tut's Paranoid Pyramid
5655-0000-0096-B750

Corridor Of Pain
632A-0000-0096-B6F6

One Way Street
CC15-0000-0096-B6C8

'Shroom Shuffle (No longer break-able!!! No pun intended)
A003-0000-0096-B678

Teetering Trampoline Terror
7D46-0000-0096-B621

Peril Pixel Pass
D633-0000-0096-B5F2

jamesRainbowBoy

sjmartin

@Harvan: Thank you so much for trying my levels! I really appreciate it. And thank you for your comments. I've got your levels on deck for this evening. Have a great day!

Mario Maker 2 ID: WKV-KWN-KMF
Luigi’s Twisting Ghost House - QHF-4Q9-3SF
MarioKart Fun-Time Drive - 5MY-7TR-HRG
Toadette’s Speedrun Sprint - 6W1-F24-6FF
Bowser’s Boss Fight Bonanza - 5S2-8WF-5KF
Captain Toad's Adventure - V6G-R6L-8RF
NNID: SJMartin

Twitter:

Hanakane

@DanoLefourbe: Thanks for the feedback! I'm really happy that you took the time to play my levels and that you liked them. To be honest, Fight Fire with Fire is not a great level. I made it on the first day and I think something were overdone, but since it's got a few stars I left it up! I like the idea, but the execution could be better!

Retro Pac-Man Pack-a-nistic, really quite precocious!

3DS Friend Code: 4270-3094-3956 | Nintendo Network ID: GuevaraCasal

Maxoxpower

Hey guys ,
don't forget to try my trilogy!

Edited on by Maxoxpower

Maxoxpower

OneBagTravel

Solid traditional level.

Give me a follow for similar levels.

I love traveling light through Europe and run a blog about it at OneBagTravel.com
Hardware: Wii U, New 3DS, Super Famicom & Super GameBoy, Game Boy Pocket

3DS Friend Code: 4399-0976-8690 | Nintendo Network ID: OneBagTravel | Twitter:

DanoLefourbe

@Littlebigblox: I played all your levels expect the automatic ones.

Overall I really liked them. They can be gimmicky and hard, but it's really ok as you made it really short. So it's not frustrating. It the kind of short challenges that can be really refreshing during a 100 Mario run.

• Spin skill, in particular really is exactly that, a short gimmicky level that works well. At first I thought, "oh no not one of those Kaizo levels". But no it's not that, it's pretty fair and just short enough.
    Trampoline world might be bit too short. You could make it twice as long with no problem I think
  • Jumpy Jumpy Jump: Perfect length. But on my second run, after I got hit while on the cloud, I decided to damage boost the rest of the spike section and flew to the pole without having to jump on the bullets.
  • Jumping prectice is really too short, but with the cannon part being so tough, people might give if they don't have the pole in sight.
  • The ghost house (can't remember the name): meh. I really hate hunting for hidden blocks and stuff like that, so this is really not for me. I don't think it is for a lot of people to be honnest.

A final remark on all your level, aesthetically they look pretty bland. Even a minor bit of theming on a few parts of a level can make a lot for your level. People will be more enclined to try a level again and again if they find it pretty.

All my levels

Nintendo Network ID: DanoLefourbe

Maxz

@mrichston: I really liked it. The single, self-contained puzzle theme was unlike anything I'd played. I wouldn't touch the mechanics, but if I were to remake it and pass it off as my own, I'd simplify the aesthetics a little bit to make it clearer what the crucial elements of the puzzle were, so that the player is battling with the puzzle rather than the visuals. I also found the glitchy bits (being stuck in the ice block at the beginning, and the sudden cannon fall) a little bit jarring.

It really is a charming little level though, and I'm very glad to have played it.

This is relatively fresh, so I'd appreciate an honest critique:

Oh, and thanks @Kinan , that seems to work.

Edited on by Maxz

HAVE BEEN ENJOY A BOOM

Harvan

@spizzamarozzi: Part of the problem is that it's nearly impossible for anyone who isn't already popular to get noticed either in Super Mario Maker, or even in places like this forum, as I'm finding. Both places suffer from popularity bias, forcing people to actively advertise their levels and basically beg for attention before anyone gives them more than a glance. And you're absolutely right about the 100-Mario Challenge (which is often the only way most of us ever get any plays at all) - people don't want to bother with well-made levels there. They just want to breeze through them.

I just wish there was an easier way for newcomers to get their levels seen - there are quite a few real gems out there. (I'm not necessarily saying mine fall into that category, but I'll leave it to others to decide that.) But as it is right now, it's basically "You can't become popular unless you're already popular".

With that in mind, anyone willing to take a look at my stuff? These are my most recent levels that present a challenge (as opposed to being music or auto-play levels). They're mostly experimental, but none of them are too terribly hard. Would appreciate some feedback.

Thanks.

Please try my Mario Maker Levels: https://www.nintendolife.com/super-mario-maker/users/Harvan
My Nintendo Network ID: KieferSkunk

Littlebigblox

@DanoLefourbe: Thanks Dan, your levels are awesome. Ive stared some of your levels

Custom Wii U backgrounds Petition!
https://www.change.org/p/nintendo-custom-wii-u-backgrounds

Chandlero

@Harvan: I played your level "Why Are the Herrings Always Red?" and I didn't understand it very well. It was over so fast. I guess, you should expand the level a little more.
However, I think you forgot one of your gems here: Music Train: Chrono Trigger! That is indeed an automatic level but one of the best

Maxz

@Chandlero: I'm really happy you thought so. I was slightly worried that beginning might be too hard, so I tried to keep it concise, and make the rest of the level engaging, but considerably more forgiving (mainly by with power-up). There's one part on the ship which only works when the cannon fires, which requires Mario to be to the right of it, but on the upper ledge. Did that cause any issues for you? Thank you for taking the time to look at it.

@Harvan: You're absolutely right, and it's a real shame. The Mario Maker system is better than nothing, but it's a long way from perfectly desirable. I'm about to plug into your levels now, so your self-promotion has got you somewhere.

Impressions to follow.

EDIT: On the topic of 'levels the system doesn't do justice, here is a wonderful snake block level (not mine, I'm not that shameless): 2DA7-0000-008D-D191

Edited on by Maxz

HAVE BEEN ENJOY A BOOM

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.