Forums

Topic: Mario Kart 8 - OT

Posts 4,801 to 4,820 of 4,871

SquiddKidd

Jazzer94 wrote:

I think its far more likely we'll get MK9 then MK8 remaster.

I would like to see MK8 upped to 1080p

It has the best graphics on Wii U so far IMO. Seriously the graphics are amazing.

SquiddKidd

Dizzy_Boy

I think that in Mario Kart 9, Nintendo needs to ditch having multiple versions of each character on the selection screen. What they should do instead is do something similar to what they've done with yoshi and the shy guys. Where they have the selection box for different colours, Mario, peach and bowser could have something similar for their different suits.

Switch I.D SW-0262-8074-7921
WiiU NNID: Dr_Dizzy
I`ve been a slave from the cradle to the grave.
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/58D0-0000-02BB-5718

Twitter:

toxibunny

Bring doubledash back! Motorbikes with sidecars!

toxibunny

Mister_Wu

dizzy_boy wrote:

I think that in Mario Kart 9, Nintendo needs to ditch having multiple versions of each character on the selection screen. What they should do instead is do something similar to what they've done with yoshi and the shy guys. Where they have the selection box for different colours, Mario, peach and bowser could have something similar for their different suits.

Actually, they did that in Mario Kart Arcade GP DX, that is developed by Namco Bandai, involved also in Mario Kart 8:

I don't understand why they didn't reuse this good idea...

Mister_Wu

ProjectX1991

I hope we get more brand crossovers with Callie and Marie hopefully making appearances amongst others in MK9. The character roster in MK8 was poor - too many colours and different outfits classed as new characters along with Bowsers' minions...Bowser and Bowser Jr are enough thanks!

ProjectX1991

Mister_Wu

ProjectX1991 wrote:

I hope we get more brand crossovers with Callie and Marie hopefully making appearances amongst others in MK9. The character roster in MK8 was poor - too many colours and different outfits classed as new characters along with Bowsers' minions...Bowser and Bowser Jr are enough thanks!

I'll be honest here: I would rather play with main characters of the Mario universe introduced in 1988 that still weren't playable characters and I happen to like than character from other games (but in MK8 we had both).
I'd rather have Bowser Jr., Dry Bones, King Boo, Diddy Kong and Kamek than Callie, Marie, Link, Isabelle and the Villagers in MK9, too.

Edited on by Mister_Wu

Mister_Wu

Blue_Blur

In addition to wanting more characters in MK9, I hope they also increase the maximum number of highlight reels you can save. Only being able to save 6 in MK8 is way too few, in my opinion. The highlight reels are such a cool feature!

Splatoon Rank: S+
Splatoon 2 Ranks: SZ: S+ / TC: S+ / RM: S+ / CB: S+

gcunit

@Blue_Blur You're right in that the highlight reels are an awesome feature, but it would be like any other storage issue - however much space you're given, you'll use it all up and wish you had n times more.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Vee_Flames

What I want from MK9 is more of MK8 + a Double Dash mode. That would be my game of the year.

Come visit Life Church!
My Switch FC: SW824410196326
Expressing my hopes for Professor Layton in Smash. Prayers abound.

3DS Friend Code: 1134-8006-9637 | Nintendo Network ID: VolcanoFlames

Rexcalibr

ProjectX1991 wrote:

The Koopalings were one of my favorite character additions but it was weird that Bowser Jr. didn't make it in the game.

Rexcalibr

Dreamliner

What are the chances of Nintendo killing Wii-U online support when the NX launches?

Dreamliner

gcunit

Dreamliner wrote:

What are the chances of Nintendo killing Wii-U online support when the NX launches?

Let's do some basic analysis:

According to Nintendo (30/06/2016), MK8 has sold 7.7 million units. So from a simplistic perspective, you might say "Goodness, that's nearly 8 million customers potentially resistant to upgrading to MK9 because of MK8 Online - we must shut it down!".

But it's very important to remember that MK8 launched with a unique Wii U offer of a free download code for one of several appealing titles (I went with LoZ:WWHD, fwiw ). The game also went on to win Eurogamer's, The Guardian's, and NintendoLife's Staff GOTY award...

...but MK8 wasn't able to significantly improve the Wii U's buy-up rate. Why was this?

Well obviously the general sales issues the Wii U had and the anti-Wii U sentiment that had embedded itself in the industry at the time are major factors.

But I think it's also important to remember that shortly before MK8 released, Nintendo announced that (coincidentally?) the servers running Mario Kart Wii Online (amongst many other games) were being shut down a few weeks after MK8's release.

Mario Kart Wii has now sold 36.75 million units. Imagine if Nintendo had done something to incentivise MKWii owners to upgrade to MK8, instead of beating them with the "We're taking your online away" stick.

In my view that was bad PR when they shut down MKWii's servers. Whatever the external factors for it, Nintendo could have done something to prevent it being perceived as an all too obvious push from the Wii version to the Wii U version. It leaves those millions of customers with a sour taste in their mouth at the end, rather than being full of fond memories.

When you've managed to get that many customers in your hand, it's really not good business practice to feed them stones like that. You want to hold on to those customers and make those customers feel valued and glad they invested in Nintendo - in doing so you'll have a much better chance of securing some customer loyalty from them for the future.

Given Nintendo's current position in the market, I think it would be really unwise of them to repeat that mistake and not be seen to be supporting the Wii U customer base, at least in terms of keeping the servers running (let's face it, game development is long gone), well into the NX era.

In light of the above, it's probably pretty likely MK8's online service will be dropped the week before NX launches, knowing Nintendo.

Edited on by gcunit

Grumblevolcano

@gcunit Your facts are a bit mixed up. Wii and DS servers were shutdown (the actual shutdown, not the warning) on May 20th, 10 days before MK8 launch.

As for what I think, I'm leaning towards the rumour suggesting that instead of creating new online multiplayer games, Nintendo will recycle Wii U ones (MK8, Smash Wii U, etc.) and have crossplay.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

gcunit

@Grumblevolcano Yep, more haste, less boost in my posting. I was referring to Wikipedia whilst writing it and for some reason thought I read MK8 launched in April, so I based my post on that, even though in my own memory it was a May 2014 game.

Edited on by gcunit

FriedSquid

I don't remember the details but the reason the Wii and DS Wi-Fi was cut had to do with a third party company that owned the servers, so Nintendo probably had little to no control over that. Wii U and 3DS servers are run by Nintendo themselves which is why those ended up ok.

Besides, I think it would be terribly unwise for Ninty to shutdown Wii U's WiFi service after NX's release. So many of its popular games rely on that — Splatoon, Super Mario Maker, Smash Bros to name just a few.

Sav'aaq!
A Miiverse admin's first day on the job.
"Samus is under fire! She's sent an emergency directive! Join the fight!"
My Squidloggery

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6168-7289 | Nintendo Network ID: captainsquid

gcunit

@FriedSquid Nintendo could easily have made arrangements for the end of MKWii online to not coincide with MK8. It was badly handled.

FriedSquid

gcunit wrote:

@FriedSquid Nintendo could easily have made arrangements for the end of MKWii online to not coincide with MK8. It was badly handled.

But the shutdown was due to the third party, Nintendo probably had little control over the shutdown date. So should they have rushed MK8 before the shutdown? Or move the date further ahead away from the shutdown, leaving people with no way of playing any console Mario Kart online at all?

I think I'm not understanding why the shutdown date was relevant to the release of MK8. I think it was merely a coincidence that we got a new Mario Kart after the previous one went kaput. Besides, it's not like Mario Kart was the only game to have its online shut down — as an example, Brawl also went down but even still we had to wait until November until Smash Wii U.

So basically my point is that it was a coincidence that online MKWii went down around the time of MK8's release, and now that the Wii U servers are in Nintendo's control, they probably will stay online along with NX servers for quite a while. The NX release shouldn't affect MK8's online at all.

Sav'aaq!
A Miiverse admin's first day on the job.
"Samus is under fire! She's sent an emergency directive! Join the fight!"
My Squidloggery

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6168-7289 | Nintendo Network ID: captainsquid

gcunit

@FriedSquid How do you think third parties came to be in control of servers for Nintendo's games?

It wasn't just chance. It was a business arrangement whereby Nintendo would have compensated the third party, presumably in the form of money.

Even if the third party decided completely independently that the server's had to be shutdown when they were, Nintendo could have paid to extend them, or simply taken the hosting to another third party.

Otherwise what was to stop the third party deciding to shutoff the server's 6 months after MKWii launched? Or earlier?

They'd have been a contract.

ProjectX1991

Mister_Wu wrote:

ProjectX1991 wrote:

I'll be honest here: I would rather play with main characters of the Mario universe introduced in 1988 that still weren't playable characters and I happen to like than character from other games (but in MK8 we had both).
I'd rather have Bowser Jr., Dry Bones, King Boo, Diddy Kong and Kamek than Callie, Marie, Link, Isabelle and the Villagers in MK9, too.

You actually have a really valid point there, I didn't think of those. would love Dixie and Funky Kong thrown in the roster.

TBH I wish Daisy would leave as a "main/playable character" in all of the Mario brand games and replace her with Rosalina.

ProjectX1991

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic