Forums

Topic: Mario Kart 8 - OT

Posts 4,441 to 4,460 of 4,852

Rexcalibr

gcunit wrote:

It should be said at this point... SNES Rainbow Road in MK8 is the most beautiful, wondrous thing in gaming.

It is the only version of Rainbow Road in the game I like. The other two I hate with a passion but the SNES one I actually find fun.

Rexcalibr

Rexcalibr

Well, I was wondering what is everyone's favorite tracks in MK8? and ones they hate the most?

Mines..

Favorites:
Moo Moo Meadows (easily my favorite music in the game and I like the farm environment)
Excite Bike (it's just fun)
Hyrule (It's fun even though the soldier waving at you in the beginning looks so out of place)
Animal Crossing (best track from the wave 2 DLC)
Dry Dry Desert (again, the music is a big reason this is one of my favorites)
Grumble Volcano (again, the epic music)
Cloud Top Cruise (this one never gets old for me)
DK Jungle (this is almost as fun as Cloud Top Cruise)
Wario Stadium (this one is always fun to me)
Shy Guy Falls (love the music and the track itself.. too bad it rarely shows up online)

Least Favorites:

Mute City (hate it)
Big Blue (hate it even more)
all Rainbow Roads except the SNES version
Neo Bowser City (it almost feels like an F-Zero course and I hate all the turns)

Rexcalibr

gcunit

The only track that stands out as annoying to me is Excitebike Arena. It's alright for spectating but I just don't enjoy all the humps, and it must be the track I consistently get my worst results on when racing online.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

OneBagTravel

UGXwolf wrote:

@Sample_Text Which is sad, because SNES Rainbow Road is boring. Not as a bad as Water Park, but it's really not all that fun. People just like it for nostalgia reasons, for the most part.

You're just looking at it wrong. Its simplicity is what makes it unique. With good players it can get pretty chaotic since there's no sides. There's really no other track like it in the mix. Same with Baby Park. It gets really chaotic and that's refreshing. Granted both tracks aren't my favorite, I just can appreciate them for being different amongst a sea of similarly laid out tracks.

Edited on by OneBagTravel

I love traveling light through Europe and run a blog about it at OneBagTravel.com
Hardware: Wii U, New 3DS, Super Famicom & Super GameBoy, Game Boy Pocket

3DS Friend Code: 4399-0976-8690 | Nintendo Network ID: OneBagTravel | Twitter:

UGXwolf

Rexcalibr wrote:

Well, I was wondering what is everyone's favorite tracks in MK8? and ones they hate the most?

Favorites: (in order of Cup)
Mario Kart Stadium
Thwomp Ruins
Shy Guy Falls
Dolphin Shoals
Electrodrome
Mount Wario
Bowser's Castle
Rainbow Road 8
Moo Moo Meadows (Wii)
DK Jungle (7)
Wario Stadium (DS)
Yoshi Valley (N64)
Rainbow Road (N64)
Yoshi's Circuit (DD)
Dragon Driftway
Mute City
Wario's Gold Mine (Wii)
Ice Ice Outpost
Baby Park (DD)
Wild Woods
Ribbon Road (Advance)
Big Blue

Hate:
Water Park (I get that it's an early track, but it's so boring. Mario Kart Stadium was easy, but that one didn't feel boring at all.)
Sweet Sweet Canyon (You're gonna notice a patter very quickly. This track bores me to death.)
Toad Harbor (Boring AND over-played! A nasty combination! Bonus points for a great setting, but it's a setting that doesn't speak to me.)
*Cloudtop Cruise (gets an honorable mention due to it being greatly overplayed. If it weren't one of the most common tracks online, I'd enjoy it a lot more than I do.)
Cheep Cheep Beach (DS) (So boring! The underwater sides are a nice addition, but I still don't really enjoy this track much.)
Dry Dry Desert (DD) (Have I said boring enough, yet? And it's not because it's a desert level, either. I actually like Bone Dry Desert and Cheese Land)
Grumble Volcano (Wii) (I never liked this track. Back on the Wii, I thought it was because the falling land tends to screw you over, sometimes, but that's much less of a problem in 8 and I still just hate this track.)
Rainbow Road (SMK) (This track is boring, it's short, and it's overplayed. I don't like the music, but at least it doesn't make my ears bleed like it did back on the SNES. And to make everything worse, this is the only track that's been in FOUR Mario Kart games. They're trying really hard to push this track, and for some people, that's a breath of fresh air, but for me, it's just annoying. 1/10 Not the worst track in the game, but certainly not one of my favorites.)

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

UGXwolf

OneBagTravel wrote:

UGXwolf wrote:

@Sample_Text Which is sad, because SNES Rainbow Road is boring. Not as a bad as Water Park, but it's really not all that fun. People just like it for nostalgia reasons, for the most part.

You're just looking at it wrong. Its simplicity is what makes it unique. With good players it can get pretty chaotic since there's no sides. There's really no other track like it in the mix. Same with Baby Park. It gets really chaotic and that's refreshing. Granted both tracks aren't my favorite, I just can appreciate them for being different amongst a sea of similarly laid out tracks.

It's not that I'm looking at it wrong, it's that what I appreciate in a track and what you appreciate in a track aren't the same thing. To me, the level of chaos is a solid value. Less or more doesn't really matter too much to me, and for the most part, it's balanced by the simplicity of the track, but I think Baby Park is the perfect example of why that chaos isn't an issue on SNES Rainbow Road. There are no sides meaning the majority of projectiles disappear over the next turn.

Thing is, it's not a matter of "oh, I think this is a bad iteration" but a matter of "I've played every Mario Kart to date and without a doubt, I can tell you that I have never once liked any iteration of SNES Rainbow Road." I don't have fun on that track and it's compounded by the fact that everyone else seems to love it so much.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

Grumblevolcano

And so one year of Mario Kart 8 has passed. I got a total of 786 hours of playtime which I honestly wasn't expecting though a year ago I would never have thought DLC would exist for it!

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Rexcalibr

i laughed so hard I cried when watching this

Next time, please give a NSFW warning - this video contains swears.

Edited on by Inkling

Rexcalibr

Zerodactyl

@Grumblevolcano I can't keep up with you and the rest on Mario Kart 8 online! Y'all go too fast!

SUBSCRIBE to my GAMING YOUTUBE CHANNEL: www.youtube.com/channel/UCqGc24cyhnXLO3EZ3yPXEzQ

My Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Funny Moments Montage: https://youtube.com/watch?v=8jCaVRifWcQ

3DS Friend Code: 1161-0648-3584 | Nintendo Network ID: Zerodactyl | Twitter:

octoman2611

Thwomp Ruins is of course the greatest course in this game. Closely followed by Wario Stadium.

octoman2611

Zerodactyl

octoman2611 wrote:

Thwomp Ruins is of course the greatest course in this game. Closely followed by Wario Stadium.

Although Thwomp Ruins, as you say, is brilliant, I still think that Royal Raceway is the one to lead 'em all!

SUBSCRIBE to my GAMING YOUTUBE CHANNEL: www.youtube.com/channel/UCqGc24cyhnXLO3EZ3yPXEzQ

My Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Funny Moments Montage: https://youtube.com/watch?v=8jCaVRifWcQ

gcunit

Rexcalibr wrote:

Thanks for posting, I liked it too. That's basically my internal thought process when I play, though admittedly with a slightly less homie accent and lingo. I probably cuss more though.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Zerodactyl

Is it weird that I just got a communication error for getting Bullet Bill in 1st place online?

ZuneTattooGuy

I have an extra set of the every game in the Humble Nindie Bundle, anyone interested?

Gamertag: GoingTheDist

Rumorlife

Gettin real sick and tired of people getting stars and bullets in 2nd and 3rd place or triple red shells multiple times in a row. I literally have to stop playing the game for weeks because it gets so boring trying to take down the undefeatable people.

Rumorlife

KB90

Dankykong wrote:

Gettin real sick and tired of people getting stars and bullets in 2nd and 3rd place or triple red shells multiple times in a row. I literally have to stop playing the game for weeks because it gets so boring trying to take down the undefeatable people.

It's much better now that it's more random. It was crap when it kept rewarding rubbish players with bullets, with only half a lap to go, and they go from 12th to top 3.

KB90

Ralizah

Favorites -
Rainbow Road N64
Mario Circuit
Cloudtop Cruise
Royal Raceway
Music Park
Tick Tock Clock
Neo Bowser City
Animal Crossing
Ribbon Road
Mute City
Big Blue
Excitebike Arena

Hate -
Baby Park
Mount Wario
Rainbow Road
Rainbow Road SNES
DK Jungle
Donut Plains 3
Sherbet Land
Yoshi Valley

Rexcalibr wrote:

Next time, please give a NSFW warning - this video contains swears.

Yeah, I watch this LPer on occasion, and his videos are absolutely hysterical.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

Rumorlife

I hate Sherbert Land I hated it on GCN, thank goodness that they put it in this one though so we don't have to have it in the future.

Rumorlife

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic