Forums

Topic: Mario Kart 8 - OT

Posts 4,401 to 4,420 of 4,871

OorWullie

Allx360 wrote:

So I was playing Online and I was in 2nd place, I got an Item box and out came a bullet bill............. Has this ever happened to someone?

Funny you say that,same thing happened to me earlier.I was in 3rd but neck and neck with the front 2 approaching the last items before the finish line and got a Bullet Bill and won the race.It's the first time I think that's happened.i wasn't complaining but it seemed a bit cheap.

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

GTWarrior77

OorWullie wrote:

Allx360 wrote:

So I was playing Online and I was in 2nd place, I got an Item box and out came a bullet bill............. Has this ever happened to someone?

Funny you say that,same thing happened to me earlier.I was in 3rd but neck and neck with the front 2 approaching the last items before the finish line and got a Bullet Bill and won the race.It's the first time I think that's happened.i wasn't complaining but it seemed a bit cheap.

Same thing happened to me today. In second place and got a Bullet Bill. Wasn't enough to win the race though but found it very strange and out of place.

"As a man thinketh, so he is"
WiiU NNID: GTKing77

MasterWario

Sparx wrote:

I've been playing the Wild Woods track and realized something

They could have called it Frontier village and replaced the shy guys with nopon and add the frontier village theme and I would have exploded from happiness, why nintendo, why ;-;

ikr? And considering all the crossovers they could have done it. Although the music sounds like something out of Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles (which gives me a nostalgic overload), so I'm happy about that.
There's so much inspiration in that track, not to mention its beautiful; I'm glad they made it.

I would have never guessed Weezing was so useful until I played a HeartGold Nuzlocke!
My YouTube Channel! Video game related, of course!
My Pushmo Levels

3DS Friend Code: 2836-0589-3371 | Nintendo Network ID: MasterWario

gcunit

What's going on 'ere?

I'm playing online, racing round the airport track, on the last lap. Just had the final chicane ahead before the finish and I unleashed a red shell on the two karts ahead of me. I then watched my red shell home in on one of the karts then seemingly just hover on his tail for ages, not exploding on him, and it just stuck like that until the end of the race, finally exploding on him after the race had finished.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Rumorlife

Items and nonsense went wild again today. 2 blue shells sent out at once and somehow 1st place, with 27,000 points, avoided both. Really suspicious.

Also Sunshine Airport in 200cc is really comfortable. It rejuvinized that track.

I also never realized until like 3 days ago you can steer the bullet a little. I've never seen anyone mention this....

Edited on by Rumorlife

Rumorlife

Shy_Guy

Whenever I hit someone with a shell,banana,star,or bullet bill they dont crash but still keep going? Has anybody seen this before? Is there some kind of trick or something??

Shy_Guy

Nintendo Network ID: Sparty84 | Twitter:

Sample_Text

So I've seen people all over say that they have gotten insane items in places such as 2nd or 3rd, and I've been through the same thing myself, so my question is, why? Do the different speed classes effect the types of items available for each place like MK Wii, or does 200cc somehow break the formula? Either way making it easier to get more powerful items in 200cc seems counterintuitive at a competitive standpoint.

Not much to say here. I like Nintendo. That's about it.

Yoshi

If this is an issue made more apparent by playing on 200cc, it reveals a flaw with the item roulette. We know already that your current place in the race is not the only factor in determining what item you get, but how far away you are from the leader. On 200cc, your distance from the leader is greater than that of other speeds, even if the time to catch up is similar. Meaning that the item roulette most likely considers the distance you are from the leader, without considering the more accurate factor: the time it takes to catch up to the leader.

Formally called brewsky before becoming the lovable, adorable Yoshi.
Now playing:
Final Fantasy XIV (PC) | The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Switch) | Celeste (Switch)

Nintendo Network ID: brewsky93

Rexcalibr

I've never gotten a Bullet Bill while in 2nd place but I have had times where I got a Bullet Bill and the effect will last much longer than it usually does, and it bumps me way up the race.

I also really dislike the Golden Mushroom. It rarely ever helps to get ahead of people and if you constantly use it, you'll go too fast and miss your chance of getting the next item. That sometimes happens with the Piranah Plant also. The Golden Mushroom though does help when you need to cross over terrain (grass, gravel) to get ahead of people.

... and maybe it's just me but when I play online, I will sometimes hit someone with a shell, star, etc. and I swear it's actually bumping them infront of me and not actually slowing them down for me to get ahead of them. It's like they will immediately recover and just continue with the race. It may be that sometimes they had a mushroom and boosted themselves up without me noticing but it happens way too often for that to always be the case.

Edited on by Rexcalibr

Rexcalibr

Chandlero

Rexcalibr wrote:

It's like they will immediately recover and just continue with the race. It may be that sometimes they had a mushroom and boosted themselves up without me noticing but it happens way too often for that to always be the case.

Yes, that can happen in Online races. Often the driver in front of you have an item in use (green shell or banana behind him) at the right moment and therefore he can block your red shell. But the internet connection was not fast or accurate in this moment and shows YOU a hit where actually there wasn't one.

Edited on by Chandlero

ddbangsy

Shy_Guy wrote:

Whenever I hit someone with a shell,banana,star,or bullet bill they dont crash but still keep going? Has anybody seen this before? Is there some kind of trick or something??

I've been thinking the same thing as it's become more and more common over the last month or so. Most races lately I've had instances where I'll throw an item and the kart/driver it hits will spin but carry on at the same high speed, no slow down whatsoever. Strange!

I really do hope that online code modding is not a thing in this game as it has ruined past Mario Kart games for me.

ddbangsy

Switch Friend Code: SW-6685-6668-3872 | My Nintendo: ddbangsy | Nintendo Network ID: ddbangsy

Grumblevolcano

ddbangsy wrote:

Shy_Guy wrote:

I've been thinking the same thing as it's become more and more common over the last month or so. Most races lately I've had instances where I'll throw an item and the kart/driver it hits will spin but carry on at the same high speed, no slow down whatsoever. Strange!

I really do hope that online code modding is not a thing in this game as it has ruined past Mario Kart games for me.

Pretty sure this is just lag, I can definitely say the lag in MK8 has been getting worse for me since Mewtwo's Club Nintendo release and DLC Pack 2 coming out.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Rexcalibr

gaming_24_7 wrote:

Rexcalibr wrote:

It's like they will immediately recover and just continue with the race. It may be that sometimes they had a mushroom and boosted themselves up without me noticing but it happens way too often for that to always be the case.

Yes, that can happen in Online races. Often the driver in front of you have an item in use (green shell or banana behind him) at the right moment and therefore he can block your red shell. But the internet connection was not fast or accurate in this moment and shows YOU a hit where actually there wasn't one.

Really? That actually happens??

ddbangsy wrote:

Shy_Guy wrote:

This is exactly what I was talking about in my earlier post. I will see them spinning out or panicing when they get hit, the usual animation, but they just continue on without slowing down at all.

Edited on by Rexcalibr

Rexcalibr

erv

It's all lag, your game registers the hit, theirs doesn't.

200 cc is such a huge gameplay change, even though I don't think it is that fast. It just plays differently.

Most tracks are balanced to 150 cc, although 200cc online means you'll usually get in a race with more experienced players and I like that challenge sometimes. Not always though.

To me, online has been as steady as ever - I really love it

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428
PlayStation: genetic-eternal

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

Rexcalibr

I'm not even playing 200cc and don't plan on it. This is something I've noticed ever since playing the game online.

Something registering on one person's game but not on anothers is just bizarre to me. I can understand them doing that with the horn sounds and but someone getting hit during the race is completely different. That brings up all sorts of questions.

Rexcalibr

Rexcalibr

Found this one reddit:

I've seen OP's problem happen numerous times, but a more glaring lag-related problem IMO are issues with items falsely connecting. If you are playing in a laggy game, there is a good possibility that when you shoot and connect with green shells, fireballs, bananas (any item that doesn't home in), the game registers a hit visually on your side, but no hit registers on the server. The opponent simply drops no coins and keeps on moving. This can sometimes happen several times in succession. The problem lies in that your projectiles disappear, but the player never takes any damage, rendering those projectiles pointless.
This also happens with items like the star ( the other night I drove into someone three times, and every time they only bounced once, dropped no coins, and went right back to driving), but at least with the star you still get the benefit of invulnerability and speed. I feel like this lag problem really hurts the viability of the online game in general because it renders sharp shooting of green shells, bananas, etc a useless tactic in laggy settings.

wow.... I wonder how much this effects the game. Mario Kart 8 is a seemingly smooth game online but now all of these weird things that happen are starting to make sense.

Edited on by Rexcalibr

Rexcalibr

gcunit

That lag theory doesn't explain what happened with my red shell.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Chandlero

Rexcalibr wrote:

wow.... I wonder how much this effects the game. Mario Kart 8 is a seemingly smooth game online but now all of these weird things that happen are starting to make sense.

Yeah. The game LOOKS smooth because it handles a race with 12 persons so good. However, if one driver has a bad internet connection, it is not the game's fault. The game tries to smoothen the actions of this driver. You see him driving normally where it actually are jumps and the game interpolates between these jumps. Therefore you can hit him on positions where he isn't actually present.

That is all lag. The game is wonderfully playable even with bad internet connections, but then you have to live with some flaws. Smash Bros. is not playable with a bad connection on the other hand. Everything has to slow down there.

gcunit wrote:

That lag theory doesn't explain what happened with my red shell.

Of course it does.

Edited on by Chandlero

Shy_Guy

I hope Nintendo will fix this lag. Also I see people driving off the track and then they appear more farther ahead when they come back on the track? Anybody seen this?

Shy_Guy

Nintendo Network ID: Sparty84 | Twitter:

Spanjard

Not experiencing any lag here. Not more than before at least.

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic