Forums

Topic: Mario Kart 8 - OT

Posts 4,261 to 4,280 of 4,852

Gridatttack

Mauhiho wrote:

Really? I thought the controls for Super Circuit as well as for Double Dash were slippery and not very good..

Eh, in the case for super circuit, it has a high entry barrier. But once you learn to drift, the controls becomes really fluid. You can do sharp turns easily.

As for double dash, I agree there. The controls were really stiff there, and I hated not being able to jump.

UGXwolf wrote:

Eww, please dear God, no! Those games controlled with all the precision of warm butter.

>Warm butter

Did you ever tried to get used to the controls? At first I thought this too, when I tried for the first time super circuit. The controls were awful at first. But once you get used to them (aka drift every time to turn) they are more responsive and you can do precise stuff. You are no longer subjected to the slipperiness when drifting.

New Super Mario Bros. Deluxe, a remake of Super Mario Bros 1 and The Lost Levels for NSMBDS.
new 3DS: 0276-2211-7514

3DS Friend Code: 0276-2211-7514 | Nintendo Network ID: Gridatttack

Grumblevolcano

Here's my opinions of the tracks being split into 150cc and 200cc given that my views sometimes change a lot between the two:

GCN Baby Park
150cc: Surprisingly quite dull, there wasn't the chaos I was expecting and extending the lead while in 1st was very common.
200cc: Very chaotic, many times I started out in 1st towards the end and get passed by 4 or 5 people because I took the corner slightly too sharp.

GBA Cheese Land
150cc: Finally, Nintendo decides to remind people that Super Circuit exists! This version is harder than the original though I do miss the Mousers. Joint favourite on 150cc with GBA Ribbon Road.
200cc: Very hard to turn corners but a lot of fun nevertheless.

Wild Woods
150cc: Beautiful track and very interesting hidden details (see GX analysis), not that fun in terms of actual racing though.
200cc: The faster speed really helps this track become more fun to race on.

Animal Crossing
150cc: To be honest, I've never played an Animal Crossing game but the course is fun to race on. Really shows how much common sense Animal Crossing U being announced at E3 would be.
200cc: Very chaotic, especially in winter.

3DS Neo Bowser City
150cc: This course was boring in MK7 and it's just as boring here.
200cc: The extra speed makes this a very fun course, expect to be falling off the sides a lot!

GBA Ribbon Road
150cc: More Super Circuit tracks are always great but were the Yarn Yoshi amiibo really necessary? Very trolling-like though that aside it's joint favourite DLC pack 2 course with GBA Cheese Land on 150cc.
200cc: I'll need a lot of practice here, keeping falling off the sides in the Rosalina part but like the others on 200cc it's a fun course.

Super Bell Subway
150cc: I really like the attention to detail as this track basically confirms that all the MK8 tracks are interconnected via this subway system. You could essentially have a full platforming game (like DK64 but without a ridiculous amount of collectibles) which occurs in the MK8 universe. It's ok to race on though most of the other tracks are better.
200cc: Another track largely improved by the extra speed, rather difficult to avoid the trains!

Big Blue
150cc: This track was actually a somewhat disappointment on 150cc, way too slow!
200cc: This is what you expect from an F-Zero track, easily my favourite track on 200cc and I really hope this isn't just Nintendo trolling and that F-Zero does see a return in the future.

So there you have it, on 150cc my favourites are the GBA tracks and for 200cc it's Big Blue.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Rogueleader0908

Does anyone know if the DLC automatically downloads if you bought the season pass and your wii u is set to auto download in sleep mode?

Edited on by Rogueleader0908

Rogueleader0908

Nintendo Network ID: Rogueleader0908

Grumblevolcano

Linkmeister wrote:

Does anyone know if the DLC automatically downloads if you bought the season pass and your wii u is set to auto download in sleep mode?

No, you have to head into the eshop for the download to activate.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Rogueleader0908

Grumblevolcano wrote:

Linkmeister wrote:

Ok. Booo

Rogueleader0908

Nintendo Network ID: Rogueleader0908

Gridatttack

Linkmeister wrote:

Grumblevolcano wrote:

Linkmeister wrote:

Ok. Booo

The game notified me the LDC had been released and prompted me to download it. I didn't had to go t the eshop.

New Super Mario Bros. Deluxe, a remake of Super Mario Bros 1 and The Lost Levels for NSMBDS.
new 3DS: 0276-2211-7514

3DS Friend Code: 0276-2211-7514 | Nintendo Network ID: Gridatttack

OneBagTravel

Isn't this game just ridiculously fun even after a year? Top notch gameplay.

As for the download. I got home. Launched the game from the quick start menu thinking it would be downloaded in the background. Turns out it was still on 3.0. I had to exit, go to the main menu of the Wii U and then launch the game for it to detect that an update was needed. I did the update, it installed, then I launched the game and it had to download more for some reason in-game. That installed and then I was able to play.

Never saw Wii U update work that way.

Edited on by OneBagTravel

I love traveling light through Europe and run a blog about it at OneBagTravel.com
Hardware: Wii U, New 3DS, Super Famicom & Super GameBoy, Game Boy Pocket

3DS Friend Code: 4399-0976-8690 | Nintendo Network ID: OneBagTravel | Twitter:

MajinSoul

OneBagTravel wrote:

I completely agree. Though, the DLC helped a lot at least for me. Link, Villager, Isabelle and Dry Bowser are my favourite drivers. They have so much charm. Just look at those trick jumps animations and sound effects. It's amazing.

After playing the DLC pack 2 over and over again for the past couple hours, I have to say that pack 2 is better in every aspect than pack one. The drivers and karts are way better (screw you Tanooki Mario and Cat Peach), the tracks are more diverse and the soundtrack is just amazing. I also love the difficulty of Cheese Land, which I totally misjudged from the first trailer. Also, Wild Woods is my new favourite course in this game (even beating my previous #1: Shy Guy Falls). The track also heavily reminds me of Frontier Village from Xenoblade Chronicles, which I've just recently beaten.

And as others have already stated: 200 CC is insane. It's frustrating and fun at the same time. Well, I just gotta practice more! Hopefully 200 CC is implemented at release in the next Mario Kart game and the tracks are designed with it in mind.

MajinSoul

Nintendo Network ID: UtoKid | Twitter:

UGXwolf

Gridatttack wrote:

Mauhiho wrote:

Really? I thought the controls for Super Circuit as well as for Double Dash were slippery and not very good..

Eh, in the case for super circuit, it has a high entry barrier. But once you learn to drift, the controls becomes really fluid. You can do sharp turns easily.

As for double dash, I agree there. The controls were really stiff there, and I hated not being able to jump.

UGXwolf wrote:

Eww, please dear God, no! Those games controlled with all the precision of warm butter.

>Warm butter

Did you ever tried to get used to the controls? At first I thought this too, when I tried for the first time super circuit. The controls were awful at first. But once you get used to them (aka drift every time to turn) they are more responsive and you can do precise stuff. You are no longer subjected to the slipperiness when drifting.

Yes, I did try. I've attempted to complete every Mario Kart to date, and I don't give up easy. The controls aren't just slippery, they're nearly unusable for me. Super Circuit is by far my least favorite MK, followed by SMK, and the buttery controls are probably a big part of the reason. (Also, flat tracks don't appeal to me. I know hardware limitations and all, but that doesn't make the tracks better. Just explains why they're so boring, for the most part.)

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

Cheesehead302

Lol, 200cc just like freaking destroyed me the first few rounds of it I did. I've been practicing though, and you really do have to use your breaks or your're in for a bad time. And God some tracks there's just no hope shiver Neo Bowser City... It's fun as heck though, and it feels so satisfy to get 1st place now.

Cheesehead302

yokokazuo

Cheesehead302 wrote:

Lol, 200cc just like freaking destroyed me the first few rounds of it I did. I've been practicing though, and you really do have to use your breaks or your're in for a bad time. And God some tracks there's just no hope shiver Neo Bowser City... It's fun as heck though, and it feels so satisfy to get 1st place now.

After some races I was able to get pretty good at Neo Bowser City and could make it around turns without falling off while drifting. I used the breaks in the middle of the drift so that I wouldn't go over the edge while still maintaining some speed. Baby Park is just mayhem though haha.

yokokazuo

3DS Friend Code: 1418-6707-5664 | Nintendo Network ID: yokokazuo

yokokazuo

UGXwolf wrote:

Gridatttack wrote:

>Warm butter

Yes, I did try. I've attempted to complete every Mario Kart to date, and I don't give up easy. The controls aren't just slippery, they're nearly unusable for me. Super Circuit is by far my least favorite MK, followed by SMK, and the buttery controls are probably a big part of the reason. (Also, flat tracks don't appeal to me. I know hardware limitations and all, but that doesn't make the tracks better. Just explains why they're so boring, for the most part.)

I think it's the same for me, I can't really get used to the 2D Mario Karts and the same goes for F-Zero.

yokokazuo

yokokazuo

OneBagTravel wrote:

As for the download. I got home. Launched the game from the quick start menu thinking it would be downloaded in the background. Turns out it was still on 3.0. I had to exit, go to the main menu of the Wii U and then launch the game for it to detect that an update was needed. I did the update, it installed, then I launched the game and it had to download more for some reason in-game. That installed and then I was able to play.

Never saw Wii U update work that way.

I think that for some reason you have to download the animal crossing and Zelda DLC separately after you get the update. As for the update not downloading, I think that the Wii U only tends to check for updates in stand by on games that you have played recently since I had to start up Hyrule Warriors to get the last DLC pack to download, but the MK8 update was downloaded when I turned my Wii U on.

yokokazuo

MetalMario

200cc was a blast, I 3-starred the last of the cups today on it. Getting those turns down on Neo Bowser Castle was fun.

MetalMario

Nintendo Network ID: MetalMario64

LzWinky

Mario Kart 64 is the worst to me. Its tracks are a big bore fest, especially Rainbow Road. 2000 meters of nothing!

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Inkling

200cc.

Baby Park.

Frantic Mode.

Chaos.

I will update this when Half Life 3 arrives. [Started 17/11/2015]

3DS Friend Code: 4768-7429-4970

skyman91

I think Mario Kart 8 is definitely the best ever in the series, but it has one flaw that lots of people have commented on: the BATTLE MODE. It's just a lazy and dysfunctional version of versus mode. Battle Mode works best on dedicated, circular/square tracks in which players frequently come into contact with one another, but merely transplanting Battle Mode onto regular circuit tracks does not equal fun gameplay. It feels awkward, half-baked, disjointed and slow in the worst sense (as opposed to Battle Mode in past games like Mario Kart 64, which was always lively and a real blast). I am happy to see the hard work Nintendo is putting into the Mario Kart DLC, so kudos to them for that. But I would love it if for the next DLC they gutted and revamped the Battle Mode entirely, giving it its own unique courses designed specifically for battle, not racing. My two cents.

Edited on by skyman91

skyman91

Zerodactyl

I just played a couple of hours this morning on 200cc, and I am really getting the hang of it! Just use a bike, and you barely have to brake! Also, once I had finished playing 200cc, I went online, but because I am at 5800 VR, I have to race in 150cc . And 150cc, in my opinion, is actually really slow.

SUBSCRIBE to my GAMING YOUTUBE CHANNEL: www.youtube.com/channel/UCqGc24cyhnXLO3EZ3yPXEzQ

My Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Funny Moments Montage: https://youtube.com/watch?v=8jCaVRifWcQ

3DS Friend Code: 1161-0648-3584 | Nintendo Network ID: Zerodactyl | Twitter:

Grumblevolcano

@Zerodactyl VR is irrelevant, whatever VR you are you'll end up on 150cc just by going on Global/Regional and then Race. For 200cc you need to go on "Custom", change mode to 200cc Grand Prix and then press A.

Grumblevolcano

Zerodactyl

Grumblevolcano wrote:

@Zerodactyl VR is irrelevant, whatever VR you are you'll end up on 150cc just by going on Global/Regional and then Race. For 200cc you need to go on "Custom", change mode to 200cc Grand Prix and then press A.

That's annoying! Guess I'll have to get used to 150cc again

SUBSCRIBE to my GAMING YOUTUBE CHANNEL: www.youtube.com/channel/UCqGc24cyhnXLO3EZ3yPXEzQ

My Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Funny Moments Montage: https://youtube.com/watch?v=8jCaVRifWcQ

3DS Friend Code: 1161-0648-3584 | Nintendo Network ID: Zerodactyl | Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic