Forums

Topic: Mario Kart 8 - OT

Posts 3,841 to 3,860 of 4,852

Atariboy

Their only commonality is their graphics, the layouts are completely unique between each circuit in SMK.

While we've yet to see a Bowser Castle circuit be remade (Despite five selections to pick from in SMK and the style being the most popular choice when the GBA circuits are picked from), I'd like to see a Vanilla Lake circuit be selected.

Otherwise, SMK has had at least one representative that has been remade from each circuit style over the past two generations since they started this (And of that, Mario Circuit has seen 3 of its 4 circuits remade and Donut Plains 2 of its 3).

Plus, with the way MK8 handles retro circuits, even if they selected that last Donut Plains track as a candidate despite MK8 already featuring one, it could definitely be turned into something completely unique. They're merely taking a general theme and basic track layout these days, compared to say MKWii where its SuperNes tracks were extremely faithful 3D recreations.

So I think they could pick anything they'd like and still turn out a very welcome addition.

Edited on by Atariboy

Atariboy

Grumblevolcano

@skywake I definitely think Ghost Valley 3 would have been a better choice especially as "ghost" tracks are really under-represented in all Mario Kart games after DS though I guess you could argue that this could make GBA Boo Lake or Broken Pier more likely for pack 2.

As for another thought I have, it seems that Nintendo are in general remaking the courses that are most broken in their original games (if there is any). Sure Moo Moo Meadows was never broken in MKWii but anyone who has played online in that game has noticed at least one person attempt the Grumble Volcano and Wario's Gold Mine gamebreaking glitches (Both tracks can be completed in under a minute). Maybe this will give us an idea of some retro courses put in pack 2.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

skywake

I still stand by the point that there have been more than enough retro-style Bowser Castles and Mario Circuits and that Vanilla Lake and Koopa Beach aren't different enough from other ice/beach tracks to be interesting. Choco Island I don't really like and nobody has defended it so I assume I'm not the only one. Which leaves Ghost Valley and Rainbow Road.

And yes, between those two I'd rather Ghost Valley and on a related note I'm kinda crossing my fingers hoping they redo Banshee Boardwalk. But Rainbow Road? Close enough and the more Rainbow Roads the better. Also my second favourite track from the DLC

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Sparx

My reason for disliking Rainbow Road in the dlc is because on my first attempt of it I fell off every turn at least once

That and it pales in comparison to Mute City. Also I just found out that driving over the pink parts that normally heal you in f-Zero gives you coins

My avatar is from here

nintendorules

join my tournament
Untitled

3ds name steven
ac new leaf dream code 6000-2194-6895

3DS Friend Code: 1676-3669-8578 | Nintendo Network ID: Nintyrules123

crimsoncavalier

I get that 150cc is supposed to be hard. But getting hit with a blue shell in every lap is not hard. It doesn't make the game a challenge, it makes the game not fun. They REALLY need to do something about blue shells. They are WAY too common in all game modes. They should be the ultimate item, not as common as a stupid green or red.

Oh, and did you know the bats in Wario Mine stop you dead in your tracks? Yeah, it was like hitting a brick wall. This game has some serious balance issues.

crimsoncavalier

Nintendo Network ID: CrimsonCavalier

jariw

crimsoncavalier wrote:

I get that 150cc is supposed to be hard. But getting hit with a blue shell in every lap is not hard. It doesn't make the game a challenge, it makes the game not fun. They REALLY need to do something about blue shells. They are WAY too common in all game modes. They should be the ultimate item, not as common as a stupid green or red.

The blue shells are pretty predictable, specially when not racing online. Adjust your tactics to avoid them.

crimsoncavalier wrote:

Oh, and did you know the bats in Wario Mine stop you dead in your tracks? Yeah, it was like hitting a brick wall. This game has some serious balance issues.

I haven't been hit by any bats yet, but I suppose they do the same kind of damage as a blue/red shell? Or do they work in another way?

Edited on by jariw

jariw

Spoony_Tech

crimsoncavalier wrote:

To my knowledge and experience those bats always did that. I got hit by them on the dlc and just got slowed down but from what I've seen I get hit far less then before.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

KB90

Loving the new tracks.
Mute City - So much fun. Online can go 1st to last or last to 1st in 10 seconds, mayhem, fun, love it.
Dragon Drift way - A bog standard brilliant MK track.
Yoshi - Brilliant, drifting heaven.
Goldmine - Love it but appears to be easier than MK7.
Rainbow World - Love this track. It made me laugh that the poster at the top of this page said he doesn't like it, basically, because he is crap at it.
Ice outpost - Another bog standard great MK track.
Hyrule - Yet another bog standard great MK track.
Excitebike - Not getting the love on this one find it a tad boring.

Thank you Nintendo, roll on May.

Edited on by KB90

KB90

KB90

I would like Birdo in The May DLC.

KB90

Sparx

If the only reason you have for not liking something is how bad you are at it then at least you may grow to like it one day

I'm still garbage at it though I fall off slightly less now

My avatar is from here

UGXwolf

@Skywake For me, it's got nothing to do with the track being in MK7, since I have yet to actually play MK7. No, I really just feel the track isn't really all that fun. Sure it's pretty to look at, and I'm very glad they fixed the music so I didn't want to stuff wax in my ears to avoid my brain exploding, but I don't really enjoy racing on the track all that much. It's very simple (and yes, I'm aware that's because of hardware limitations on the SNES, that doesn't make it more interesting.) It's honestly a bit too short. And the no edges thing? Pfft. That's not a problem The course is honestly really easy, IMO.

I will, however, point out for the sake of argument, that this is not the second or third, but the FOURTH time this track has been in a Mario Kart game. I get that the nostalgia factor is strong for those of you that played this track when you were a kid, and seeing it in HD is a godsend for some people, but I personally just like absolutely nothing about the track. Especially when I put it next to the rest of the tracks in the DLC pack.

And in defense of Yoshi's Circuit, first off, this track hasn't been seen since Mario Kart DS, and second off, the track is still a lot of fun, even if the theme doesn't really excite you. There are plenty of sweet turns that require at least a little of your attention to not find yourself in the grass, in a wall, or in the ocean. Not to mention adding that waterfall to the shortcut makes it all just seem more interesting. The town around the starting line is really cool, too, featuring tons of Yoshi-shaped and Yoshi-themed buildings and signs. I could go on, but my point is this is a fun course that I feel really deserved to come back, and HEY! It even fits the theme of the cup, unlike SNES Rainbow Road, which doesn't even have that excuse.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

RedYoshi999

It is odd that Nintendo decided to create an Egg and Triforce cup, yet only 1 track fits the theme (and the random order of retro courses mixed with new courses.) I guess for Pack 2 there will be a SM3DW track and an Animal Crossing track followed by anything

As for SNES Rainbow Road, I do admit its way more enjoyable than MK7's variation. The visuals are nice (matching that masterful N64 Rainbow Road) and the music is vastly improved. It's still a very simple course though and the biggest reason I grew annoyed by it in MK7 was because of online spamming. Thankfully MK8 gives you the option of turning off DLC tracks if you tire playing them too much.

I would probably say Ice Ice Outpost is my least favourite of the bunch. Its far less inspired and those shortcuts are damn near impossible to consistently take.

RedYoshi999

3DS Friend Code: 4682-8576-2407 | Nintendo Network ID: RedYoshi999

UGXwolf

RedYoshi999 wrote:

It is odd that Nintendo decided to create an Egg and Triforce cup, yet only 1 track fits the theme (and the random order of retro courses mixed with new courses.) I guess for Pack 2 there will be a SM3DW track and an Animal Crossing track followed by anything

As for SNES Rainbow Road, I do admit its way more enjoyable than MK7's variation. The visuals are nice (matching that masterful N64 Rainbow Road) and the music is vastly improved. It's still a very simple course though and the biggest reason I grew annoyed by it in MK7 was because of online spamming. Thankfully MK8 gives you the option of turning off DLC tracks if you tire playing them too much.

I would probably say Ice Ice Outpost is my least favourite of the bunch. Its far less inspired and those shortcuts are damn near impossible to consistently take.

Mount Must Dash, please. KTHXBAI!

Also, Ice Ice Outpost is most likely my favorite because I consider it the most difficult of the DLC tracks, but I also really like the choosing your track dynamic. I personally find it extremely interesting.

Dragon Driftway was probably the biggest disappointment for me. I didn't find the music all that great, and the turns were far easier to make than I was expecting, but I was really expecting far too much out of this course. It's still a great track.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

Late

crimsoncavalier wrote:

The bats slowed you down in Mario Kart Wii as well but they're so easy to avoid that I only remember hitting them once or twice in Mario Kart Wii and I've played it for hundreds of hours. I see no issue with them.

Edited on by Late

It's its, not it's.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8287-7444-2602 | Nintendo Network ID: LateXD

Shirma_Akayaku

UGXwolf wrote:

RedYoshi999 wrote:

Mount Must Dash, please. KTHXBAI!

Also, Ice Ice Outpost is most likely my favorite because I consider it the most difficult of the DLC tracks, but I also really like the choosing your track dynamic. I personally find it extremely interesting.

Dragon Driftway was probably the biggest disappointment for me. I didn't find the music all that great, and the turns were far easier to make than I was expecting, but I was really expecting far too much out of this course. It's still a great track.

I know a lot of people like SNES Rainbow Road, but I don't like it as much as in MK7. The roads are too wavy which makes tricking off of them harder, the Thwomps take up a little more space than in MK7, and there are walls near the starting line. I felt MK7 got much closer to the original, which I liked. Aside from the visual upgrade in MK8, it's okay.

My Top 4 Favorite DLC Tracks:

1) Mute City. Everything about this is really fantastic. No complaints here.

2) Dragon Driftway. I know many people don't like it because it's very linear, but that's why I like it. In MK8, I prefer linear tracks because you have a better chance of winning if you're in first. However, I like big, open tracks in MKW. It's lacking in shortcuts, but it takes advantage of anti-gravity, just like Mute City. I have like a 90% win ratio here because MK8 rewards front-running (A.K.A. staying in front of the pack and breaking away from it). This track is just free VR online for me, which I like since the VR system is finally fixed and it isn't harsh anymore (and I actually care about it now). The only downside

3) Ice Ice Outpost. This is a very controversial pick since so many people find it the weakest of the bunch (not to mention the terrible name). People don't like it because of its slipperiness, the shortcuts are difficult to take, items are inefficient, but you know what? That's what I love about it. I like its difficulty, the hard shortcuts, and being able to take advantage of the two paths to make items hit walls. It's like this track is asking you to take advantage of its "flaws".This course separates the novices from the pros.

4) It's a tie between Hyrule Circuit and Wario's Gold Mine. I really like Hyrule Circuit because it's entirely from Zelda and pays homage to it in a lot of ways. The coins being rupees, the item roulette wheel having the chest opening sound effect, and all the Zelda material. The only thing I wish there was more of is more track length. People might say it'll take to long to complete, but that can be padded out with boost pads. I just wish there was more to see because there's not enough room to fit enough Zelda into one track, plus it doesn't have that much anti-gravity, which is fine. As for Wario's Gold Mine, I like the way anti-gravity was integrated. The mine cart being spin boosts, the dips, turns, and curves, the music, and the overall feel of it. I doesn't have glider which is slightly disappointing, but it was one of my favorites in MKW.

Edited on by Shirma_Akayaku

Wi-Fi Game List:
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Splatoon
Super Smash Bros. Wii U & 3DS + All DLC
Mario Kart 8 + All DLC
Mario Golf: World Tour + All DLC
Mario Kart 7
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon

Wii U & 3DS Game Wish List:...

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9553-9610 | Nintendo Network ID: Toadette75

Shirma_Akayaku

My Top 4 Least Favorite DLC Tracks:

5) Wario's Gold Mine. Yes, I know I said it was a tie between Hyrule Circuit, but what brings this a bit lower than Hyrule Circuit is that it's been simplified to the point where it's not even challenging anymore. The hazards of this stage are pretty much gone. The mine carts aren't obstacles anymore (but it's negated by making them spin boosters), the Swoopers (bats) don't slow you down (as far as I know, I haven't been able to hit them anymore, even while trying to aim for them), the shortcut is just pretty much a faster path with little to no risk involved, and the track has been covered in walls and rails (even the "shortcut" has walls to prevent falling off into the abyss or onto the main track).

6) Excitebike Arena. This track is by no means bad a bad track, I just find myself picking other tracks than this one. Its layout changing every race is cool, but it's not an eye catcher for me. It just doesn't stand out that much to me compared to the other DLC tracks. It pays really good homage to Excitebite by having those straightaways and it's a great track for breaking away from the pack, but it's not that interesting to me. I felt that it should have used more "random" pieces and at least have an elevated start line to fit the way you did laps in the original (going over the middle of the ramp is the start / finish line).
Untitled

7) Yoshi Circuit. For starters, it's way too small. On 150cc, you can feel this when you go at full speed, taking turns that nearly get you into the grass or wall every time. The only way to maneuver around this track while drifting is to tap the brake button while drifting. This is a technique that you see online with top Time Trial ghosts use to take tighter turns in order to improve their time. Not everybody is gonna know about this technique and you'll only see very high skilled racers do this.

8) SNES Rainbow Road. I stated above why I don't like it as much as I used to.

"The roads are too wavy which makes tricking off of them harder, the Thwomps take up a little more space than in MK7, and there are walls near the starting line. I felt MK7 got much closer to the original, which I liked. Aside from the visual upgrade in MK8, it's okay."

I liked it a lot more in MK7, even though it was spammed a lot online. However, it's my least favorite of DLC Pack 1.

Edited on by Shirma_Akayaku

Wi-Fi Game List:
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Splatoon
Super Smash Bros. Wii U & 3DS + All DLC
Mario Kart 8 + All DLC
Mario Golf: World Tour + All DLC
Mario Kart 7
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon

Wii U & 3DS Game Wish List:...

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9553-9610 | Nintendo Network ID: Toadette75

DaveWilma

Loving Mario Kart 8! Apologies if this has already been mentioned in a previous post but does anybody know if you can add friends in-game from the 'Friends / Rivals' menu on-line? Its really useful knowing who you have been racing with but it would be even better if you could select somebody and send a friend request...

Regards,
Wilmatron.

Regards,
Wilmatron

Nintendo Network ID: Wilmatron

jariw

RedYoshi999 wrote:

The Excitebike course and Wario's Goldmine course were hinted in the initial presentation of the DLC1, so the cups were never expected to be that much based on themes. The mix between retro/new courses is more surprising, but personally I appreciate that they use the DLC packs to try new things.

Are there any evidences that it will be an actual SM3DW track yet? I haven't seen any, more than the Bell Cup logo. Since the DLC2 is scheduled to appear just before E3, there might be material connected with E3. Animal Crossing at E3 of course seems like a low-odds bet, but a new Mario game reveal from the Tokyo EAD could also be possible. Cat Mario Galaxy, anyone?

A future Metroid and/or a Starfox track in DLC 2 course might also be hinted, based on the currently supported amiibos in MK8.

Edited on by jariw

jariw

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic