Forums

Topic: Mario Kart 8 - OT

Posts 3,821 to 3,840 of 4,852

Allx360

I thought that Ice Ice Outpost was the best of the pack. It really had a nice feel to it and a great track design and music. My least favorite would be dragon driftway, the music was kind of bland with the track being kind of samey.

PK Hype!

Inkling

jariw wrote:

Inkling wrote:

I think items are broken. My items do no damage, and randomly disappear after a bit

Is it online? If so, sounds like connection issues at some end.

Well for some reason it only happened with one guy (when I attacked him)

I will update this when Half Life 3 arrives. [Started 17/11/2015]

3DS Friend Code: 4768-7429-4970

kkslider5552000

Only played the first 4 tracks because I don't know. Yoshi Circuit is the most meh choice possible but the three new ones are fantastic...as expected. I mean, the worst track in Mario Kart 8 is arguably that music one and it was one of my favorites in Mario Kart 7 so 8 has incredibly high standards so I'm not surprised they are great.

Also this is probably the Mario Kart where I've tried the most variety of characters and karts/bikes (though usually karts). So, I really like how you have to sometimes entirely change how you do drifting depending on the character. Link on the Epona bike thing is vastly different from my more generic choices.

I am slightly annoyed highlights aren't working right now...

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

UGXwolf

Odd how Ice Ice Outpost seems to have the most mixed reactions. Also, there is ice. In the short cuts. Of which there are actually quite a few.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

Faruko

i went full Hyrule, Link + Epona + Wheels, except the parachute, its a great combo, great speed and decent accel (2, i used to play with 3)

WiiU: FarukoSH
3DS FC: 4640-0256-4473
Steam: Farukool
PSN: Farukosh

NintendoFan64

Doesn't look like anyone's in the tournament. I was too late.
Edit: Shortly after typing that, I checked again and a couple of people were playing.

Edited on by NintendoFan64

There is nothing here...except for the stuff I just typed...

3DS Friend Code: 5284-1716-7555 | Nintendo Network ID: michaelmcepic

Atariboy

Can't wait until the next pack and the inevitable Metroid themed racetrack.

Atariboy

ViolaBouquet

I'm impressed by all the details in the Zelda course. Even the sound when getting an item is changed. Great job Nintendo!

Day Job:
Private violin/viola teacher
Freelance musician for weddings & other events

NinjaWaddleDee

Did anyone else notice that you get ELECTROCUTED if you touch the sides of the mute city track? Now that's authentic! Also, Metroid X Mario Kart 8 please! Give us Samus, Diddy Kong, and Captain Toad. Then throw in a mini Samus' gunship as a kart, plus a Metroid track. Pleeeeease! It would be cool if her zero suit was also her biker suit! (but a little bit less... you know. She still has to fit in Mario Kart after all.)

Check out my YouTube channel if you love gaming, and Nintendo (especially Metroid) I think you'll enjoy my videos. :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCagN36OxIjCGUVMaYFtPgSg

Nintendo Network ID: NinjaWaddleDee

skywake

I'm surprised at how many people don't like the SNES Rainbow Road. I remember unlocking Special Cup back on the SNES when I was a kid and seeing Rainbow Road for the first time. You don't understand how insane it was to see a track that was a different theme to every other track in the game. So to see it in HD with the same music remade playing as the track literally twists as the invincible thwomps crash into the track? It's pretty awesome.

I assume people don't like it because it lacks the edges? If not what is it about the track that people don't like? I mean I always see people pick the GBA track or that Donut Plains track from the SNES special when it's an option. Clearly it's not about it being "too boring". So why do people not like it? Very curious.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

PigmaskFan

Maybe it's because Nintendo HAD JUST DONE IT?

#Illridewithyou

jariw

NinjaWaddleDee wrote:

Did anyone else notice that you get ELECTROCUTED if you touch the sides of the mute city track? Now that's authentic! Also, Metroid X Mario Kart 8 please! Give us Samus, Diddy Kong, and Captain Toad. Then throw in a mini Samus' gunship as a kart, plus a Metroid track. Pleeeeease! It would be cool if her zero suit was also her biker suit! (but a little bit less... you know. She still has to fit in Mario Kart after all.)

Diddy Kong will probably not appear in MK8. Personally, I think that Diddy Kong Racing 2 rumor is a leak that actually is true.

jariw

Retro_on_theGo

skywake wrote:

I'm surprised at how many people don't like the SNES Rainbow Road. I remember unlocking Special Cup back on the SNES when I was a kid and seeing Rainbow Road for the first time. You don't understand how insane it was to see a track that was a different theme to every other track in the game. So to see it in HD with the same music remade playing as the track literally twists as the invincible thwomps crash into the track? It's pretty awesome.

I assume people don't like it because it lacks the edges? If not what is it about the track that people don't like? I mean I always see people pick the GBA track or that Donut Plains track from the SNES special when it's an option. Clearly it's not about it being "too boring". So why do people not like it? Very curious.

They had just barely remade it already with MK7.

skywake

Is that the only reason? Pretty lame reason to not like a track

Grumblevolcano

skywake wrote:

Not really, Super Mario Kart has 20 tracks and only 9 have been remade. That leaves a large number of tracks to choose from to remake (11) and yet they choose one of the 2 courses remade 3 years ago, that doesn't feel right at all. Yoshi Circuit being repeated isn't as bad (even less so if Mushroom City, Wario Colosseum, GCN Bowser's Castle or GCN Rainbow Road is in pack 2) as only 4 unused tracks are left.

As for why I dislike SNES Rainbow Road in Mario Kart 8, it's to do with this re-using when there's so many SNES choices which haven't appeared in a Mario Kart game after Super Circuit but also because swapping small thwomps with large ones has made the course pretty dull (they were actually very hard to avoid .in Super Mario Kart).

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

skywake

Grumblevolcano wrote:

skywake wrote:

Not really, Super Mario Kart has 20 tracks and only 9 have been remade. That leaves a large number of tracks to choose from to remake (11) and yet they choose one of the 2 courses remade 3 years ago, that doesn't feel right at all. Yoshi Circuit being repeated isn't as bad (even less so if Mushroom City, Wario Colosseum, GCN Bowser's Castle or GCN Rainbow Road is in pack 2) as only 4 unused tracks are left.

I don't really agree and I'm one of the biggest fans of Super Mario Kart there is. I'd argue that there were only 8 tracks in Super Mario Kart with all the rest being just slight variations on those same tracks. So when you look at SNES tracks that make sense to add there aren't that many which would add something Mario Kart 8 doesn't already have. There's already a Donut Plains in Mario Kart 8 so that's off the table, Mario Circuit is close enough to the GBA one that it doesn't matter. I'd argue that Koopa Beach and Vanilla Lake couldn't do anything that Sherbet Lake and Cheep Cheep Beach didn't already do better. So that leaves Ghost Valley, Bowser Castle, Choco Island and Rainbow Road.

Ghost Valley hasn't been done enough and it would be interesting and maybe they'll still do it. That style of Bowser Castle I love but it has been done in every Mario Kart since the DS excluding 8 (GBA Bowser Castle 1, 2 & 3) so that wouldn't be interesting. Choco Island is the most boring track style and I'm kinda glad it hasn't been revisited in that form since the DS. Rainbow Road I love as much as Ghost Valley and Bowser Castle but is also very different to the N64 and New Rainbow Roads already in the game. I want to see more SNES style tracks in the game, outside of Ghost Valley Rainbow Road is the only one that I reckon can do a decent job of that.

Frankly I think Yoshi Circuit is significantly less interesting than Rainbow Road. It's just another paved track really.

Edited on by skywake

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic