Forums

Topic: Mario Kart 8 - OT

Posts 3,121 to 3,140 of 4,852

Tasuki

brewsky wrote:

Tasuki wrote:

Online ran smoothly for me. Just one question what does the numbers mean in online mode. I started off at 1000 and then it went up and down depending on where I placed in the race. Is that like so you get matched up with people on the same skill level as you or something?

You answered your own question.

Thanks. Wasn't sure if there was something else to it as well like if you get so many points you unlock something or someone.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

kkslider5552000

Rosalina wrote:

One more potentially game breaking glitch.

Well thankfully, it doesn't matter because its in MK8's battle mode.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

BenAV

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Rosalina wrote:

Everyone's crazy.
Mario Kart 8's battle mode is the first one actually worth playing in years.
Hope they fix the glitch, seems like it could be a bit of an issue if everyone catches on.

BenAV

Switch Friend Code: SW-4616-9069-4695 | 3DS Friend Code: 3652-0548-9579 | Nintendo Network ID: Ben_AV | Twitter:

kkslider5552000

BenAV wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Rosalina wrote:

Everyone's crazy.
Mario Kart 8's battle mode is the first one actually worth playing in years.

snicker

skywake

Polygon wrote:

If Mario Kart's trend continues and Nintendo sells Mario Kart 8 to 20.37 percent of its existing 6.17 million user base, sales of the game would reach 1.26 million. If Nintendo's console predictions are correct, and assuming the average of 20.37 percent remains, Mario Kart 8 sales would reach 1.99 million units by the end of March 2015. Meaning this latest Mario Kart would sell a bit more than a third of the copies that the worst-selling Mario Kart, 2001's Mario Kart: Super Circuit for the Game Boy Advance, sold in its lifetime.

IGN wrote:

Nintendo has given us confirmation that Mario Kart 8's global sell-through is approximately 2 million in less than a month, as announced by Genyo Takeda speaking on behalf of Nintendo President Satoru Iwata.

Untitled

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

skywake

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Whoever wrote that article is a profoundly stupid person btw.

Yeah, massive failure to understand how software sales work, particularly for a title like Mario Kart which doesn't fade into obscurity after the first week. They assumed that somehow, magically, sales would magically land at exactly ~20% of the install base for the life of the console. Not jump out of the gate with a high attach rate before slowly fading. Not even jump out of the gate with a high attach rate and be a slow burn throughout the life of the console. Somehow they thought it would have a high attach rate that was flat throughout the life of the Wii U but it wouldn't change Wii U sales at all.

Would be like a political journalist saying:
"the government was elected with 53% of the vote, in 6 months they've gone down to 47%. If this trend continues they'll only have 10% of the vote by the next election"

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Kewlan

@Rosalina Thanks for sharing those!
It's very interesting to see how companies deal with hitboxes, and it's especially interesting to see how Nintendo does it, and to see where their flaws shine!

ಠ_ಠ
Waiting for ShadowforSSB4 to take me up to the heavens.

Favorite Game List:
1#: Lufia 2
2#: Terraria
3#: Team Fortress 2

3DS Friend Code: 3153-4099-8763 | Nintendo Network ID: Kewlan

kkslider5552000

"At the current rate, Lay's Potato Chips will be sold out. Their profits from this brand will go straight to 0% from now on based on this information."

What I just said was only SOMEWHAT dumber than that.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Tasuki

Well went several round online yesterday and it was alot of fun. Alot better then dealing with the CPU . My only gripe with it was why does everyone else get better items then me? I mean 4 out of 5 times when I would get an item box it would be a mushroom of some sort either the single one, gold one or triple one while everyone else would get shells, fireflowers, Bullet Bills etc. I am beginning to think that the items you get are tied to your character or something. Most of the time I would finish in the middle to the back of the pack cause I would get spammed by the other players only to be not able to fight back cause I would have that dumb mushroom.

Except for that though it was alot of fun. Anyone else have that sort of problem with the item?

My Backlog

Spoony_Tech

It's all random but I do think they up'ed the rate of the mushrooms a bit. I don't mind the golden one all day though. I'd rather have a shroom in the back of the pack then one green shell anyways. Now triple is a different story.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

rallydefault

skywake wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Yeah, massive failure to understand how software sales work, particularly for a title like Mario Kart which doesn't fade into obscurity after the first week. They assumed that somehow, magically, sales would magically land at exactly ~20% of the install base for the life of the console. Not jump out of the gate with a high attach rate before slowly fading. Not even jump out of the gate with a high attach rate and be a slow burn throughout the life of the console. Somehow they thought it would have a high attach rate that was flat throughout the life of the Wii U but it wouldn't change Wii U sales at all.

"the government was elected with 53% of the vote, in 6 months they've gone down to 47%. If this trend continues they'll only have 10% of the vote by the next election"

And, sadly, this just exposes an awful truth about gaming journalism that not many people want to accept: most gaming "journalists" are just college grads who can't find a job in their major, or communications majors simply treading water until they can climb the ladder to the job they really want. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of intelligent and dedicated gaming journalists out there who HAVE committed their lives to this field (Adam Sessler comes to mind), but they are, unfortunately, few and far between.

I get to say this because I interned as a writer at a gaming website for a summer, and I've seen the reality of the situation. Most of these journalists are quite young and inexperienced in writing, economics, marketing, etc. Sure, most of them do "love" games (which I'm slowly thinking just means ranting about games on forums anymore), but as far as keen analytical skills they've got, well ... nothin'. And for that matter, neither do most of us, including myself. That's why I think we all just need to loosen up and enjoy games again for what they are - FUN.

rallydefault

Tasuki

Spoony_Tech wrote:

It's all random but I do think they up'ed the rate of the mushrooms a bit. I don't mind the golden one all day though. I'd rather have a shroom in the back of the pack then one green shell anyways. Now triple is a different story.

Yeah the gold one is better of the lot but still at times I can really use a red shell or something like that and they insist on give me a dang single mushroom. I am not kidding one race every time I hit the box I got a freakin mushroom of some sort.

My Backlog

kkslider5552000

rallydefault wrote:

skywake wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

And, sadly, this just exposes an awful truth about gaming journalism that not many people want to accept: most gaming "journalists" are just college grads who can't find a job in their major, or communications majors simply treading water until they can climb the ladder to the job they really want. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of intelligent and dedicated gaming journalists out there who HAVE committed their lives to this field (Adam Sessler comes to mind), but they are, unfortunately, few and far between.

I get to say this because I interned as a writer at a gaming website for a summer, and I've seen the reality of the situation. Most of these journalists are quite young and inexperienced in writing, economics, marketing, etc. Sure, most of them do "love" games (which I'm slowly thinking just means ranting about games on forums anymore), but as far as keen analytical skills they've got, well ... nothin'. And for that matter, neither do most of us, including myself. That's why I think we all just need to loosen up and enjoy games again for what they are - FUN.

I have to disagree. This isn't a gaming journalism thing, this is just lacking in common sense. Even by the low standards of gaming journalism, I have no idea how no one thought this through. Did the editor not say "you might want to look this over again"?

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Tasuki

Quick question anyone know what a gold Wiiwheel next to the persons name online means?

My Backlog

Jazzer94

Tasuki wrote:

Quick question anyone know what a gold Wiiwheel next to the persons name online means?

That is when you play a percentage majority with motion controls 80% IIRC.

PSN: mangaJman
SSBB FC: 1204-1132-2888
My YouTube
The Jazzloggery
Once you see you can never unsee

3DS Friend Code: 5155-3100-6367 | Nintendo Network ID: Justinius94

Spoony_Tech

It might be the lowest but I bet the attach rate is the highest! That's all that really matters.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

Spoony_Tech

Tasuki wrote:

@Spoony_Tech: Do you have a Wii U now?

Yes, had one since this past CHRISTmas!

MERG said:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic