Forums

Topic: Mario Kart 8 - OT

Posts 2,101 to 2,120 of 4,852

RedYoshi999

Man, now I'm jealous of people having it 3 days before me! Why can't Nintendo just accidentally release it onto the eShop early lol.
@ClockworkMario I'm glad to hear the online runs smoothly. I'm a bit surprised you don't like the music - I've listened to all the tracks and some are really impressive.

RedYoshi999

3DS Friend Code: 4682-8576-2407 | Nintendo Network ID: RedYoshi999

DBPirate

ClockworkMario wrote:

RedYoshi999 wrote:

Sonicfan11589 wrote:

If I may ask, what country do u live in? I'm guessing it isn't the US, since the time of your posts says 6:56 AM, and mail (at least to my knowledge) doesn't come till around mid day.

Finland, according to his profile.

That's right. I've gotten some first impressions: it does look stunning. Especially some overhauled levels, like Moo Moo Meadows are from a completely different planet when compared to MKWii. And it's not just talking about the amount of polygons and good texture work: there are these silly quirks around every corner. Like this one time I was driving down a straight wall on the stadium level, glanced at the audience and saw an enormous banner that had "Our King Bowser" written on it. These kind of moments are plentiful.

I played through a few cups and then launched straight to online (through the very well designed menu screens). Online was overrun by Frenchmen btw, but they were no match to me and this one Austrian guy. Online had also many memorable moments to offer. Once, I was second for a long time and the Austrian was way ahead of me; his victory seemed inevitable. Then on the last item box cluster I got three red shells and proceeded to immediately throw one. A few seconds after that a blue shell blasted past me. I was just ≈100 metres from goal when I saw both of them hit him in a row while he was just inches from the finishing line. I threw my last shell – and it hit him just as his invincibility wore off. Sadly he just barely managed to beat me: we're talking a kartlength at tops. Perhaps that's for the best though; it was pretty unfair in the end. By the way, online was really smooth.

Negative: The music has been fairly unimpressive thus far.

Fairly unimpressive? I thought it sounded pretty good on the website.

Currently playing: Bayonetta 2

My Nintendo: DillPickle | Nintendo Network ID: Czechmate1129

Eel

Dark-Luigi wrote:

Well, so much forgetting the game on release day. Apparently, my dad said that I have to wait until school's over. With is on the 13 of June. What a piece if bull! -_-

All I read there is that your dad plans to buy the game for you. How is that a bad thing.

He could always say just no.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

ClockworkMario

Make no mistake: there are plenty of well made musical tracks. I quite like the Mario Circuit and the remixed Moo Moo Meadows. The music lends itself to the maps well and adds to the general atmosphere. It's just it mostly doesn't have a 'hook'; something that would raise the tracks to something really memorable. Mario Kart music does tend to grow on me the more I play the games, so I just might still make a U-turn on this.

Edited on by ClockworkMario

Currently on the plate:
Mount and Blade: Warband – Napoleonic Wars
Chivalry
Super Mario 3D World – Finishing the last few levels.
Mario Kart 8

3DS Friend Code: 4425-1586-9129

Datasun_7

In my opinion, Mario kart 8 has the best music in the series. Can't wait till I hear it even more. But fair enough

Proud Samus main for ssb4!
Hyped for Capt. Toad, Yoshis woolly world, Mario maker and splatoon in the first half of 2015
Wii U, 3DS and PS4 owner

3DS Friend Code: 2595-1379-1446 | Nintendo Network ID: Datasun_7

Sonicfan11589

How quickly can u enter a race from the main menu? One of the reasons i stopped playing Mario Kart online in MK7 and possibly also MK Wii was because it took a little time to get into a race, maybe i'm not remembering fully correctly.

Sonicfan11589

ClockworkMario

Sonicfan11589 wrote:

How quickly can u enter a race from the main menu? One of the reasons i stopped playing Mario Kart online in MK7 and possibly also MK Wii was because it took a little time to get into a race, maybe i'm not remembering fully correctly.

Quite quickly. To online it's: main menu-->Global/Regional/Friends/Tournament-->Race/Battle/Custom rules-->Character and kart assembly. Roughly 30-40 seconds depending on the speed of your broadband.

Currently on the plate:
Mount and Blade: Warband – Napoleonic Wars
Chivalry
Super Mario 3D World – Finishing the last few levels.
Mario Kart 8

3DS Friend Code: 4425-1586-9129

cookiex

^How are the loading times before each race on your copy?

Edited on by cookiex

cookiex
Self-appointed NintendoLife Hyrule Warriors ambassador

Eel

Morph is an actual active user of this site.

I have noticed people @ him while talking to me every now and then.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

Morph

yep, every so often I get a completely random email about a conversation i'm not even having, it can be quite amusing sometimes

Morph

Sonicfan11589

ClockworkMario wrote:

Sonicfan11589 wrote:

Quite quickly. To online it's: main menu-->Global/Regional/Friends/Tournament-->Race/Battle/Custom rules-->Character and kart assembly. Roughly 30-40 seconds depending on the speed of your broadband.

Good to know. One more question for those that want to know: Can kart pieces be unlocked via online? Thanks for the info by the way. Can't wait to get home late Thursday night from work before midnight.

Sonicfan11589

DreamyViridi

Sonicfan11589 wrote:

ClockworkMario wrote:

Sonicfan11589 wrote:

Good to know. One more question for those that want to know: Can kart pieces be unlocked via online? Thanks for the info by the way. Can't wait to get home late Thursday night from work before midnight.

If it's anything like MK7, I'm sure you can, especially if we're talking coin totals.

Edited on by DreamyViridi

Once a LuigiMan, now a Dreamy representation of the Goddess of Nature.
Retired Palutena Gem Provider.
Mario Maker Levels

Switch Friend Code: SW-6593-3528-8788 | 3DS Friend Code: 0688-5405-0932 | Nintendo Network ID: LuigiMan200

Eel

Morph wrote:

yep, every so often I get a completely random email about a conversation i'm not even having, it can be quite amusing sometimes

Haha, sorry about that :X

Bloop.

Edwicket

UGXwolf wrote:

Edwin wrote:

Ever wondered how many different possible combinations of drivers, bodies, wheels and gliders there are? If you were like me you may have initially imagined many thousands of combinations. After all there are 30 drivers, 26 bodies, 18 tires and 11 gliders. So technically that would make 154,440 combinations.

But if you look at the statistics (eliminating drivers and parts that are only aesthetically different), you actually only have 7 different drivers, 6 bodies, 7 tires and 2 gliders. That makes 588 combinations that are truly different in the way that they handle. And, in fact, that number is probably even lower since I didn't take into account the possibility that some of those combinations might create identical vehicles stats-wise. Still, though, that's a lot of combos to experiment with.

Source: http://www.mariowiki.com/Mario_Kart_8

How certain can we be about this? For the longest time, I thought there were effectively three characters in Mario Kart Wii, then I found out that each character alters the stats of their vehicles in a unique way. Can we be sure, yet, that this isn't the case with MK8?

Well I'm just going off the current information. I don't have the game yet so I'm trusting the numbers from the source I listed. I could be wrong but my guess is that all characters in each of the 7 weight classes will handle exactly the same. Though Nintendo could always give us more options in the future with DLC.

Edwicket

DBPirate

Nintendo World Report's (really bad) review confirmed you can unlock things you could in single-player in multiplayer Grand Prix. I assume this includes characters.

DBPirate

Nintendo World Report's (really bad) review confirmed you can unlock things you could in single-player in multiplayer Grand Prix. I assume this includes characters.

Spoony_Tech

DBPirate wrote:

Last I checked there was no bad reviews then alone really bad. Plus I have no problem with this. All it means is I don't have to play single player to unlock stuff.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic