Forums

Topic: Mario Kart 8 - OT

Posts 2,021 to 2,040 of 4,852

ClassicJetterz

6 days, guys. JUST 6 DAYS.

You're blinded by romance, you're blinded by science...
Your condition is critically grave...but don't expect mercy from such an alliance..
Suspicion of tradition's so new wave!

3DS Friend Code: 5370-0397-4153 | Nintendo Network ID: ClassicJetterz

plrichard

I've seen some conflicting information and I'm just curious if anyone can clear this up. Will MK8 run in native 1080p or 720p? I've seen both and am just curious. (I'm downloading at midnight either way )

plrichard

AccessibleDaydream

plrichard wrote:

I've seen some conflicting information and I'm just curious if anyone can clear this up. Will MK8 run in native 1080p or 720p? I've seen both and am just curious. (I'm downloading at midnight either way )

This article will be able to give you that answer and a lot more.

AccessibleDaydream

Switch Friend Code: SW-2307-0614-2423 | My Nintendo: Dj64Mk7 | Nintendo Network ID: Dj64Mk7 | Twitter:

DreamyViridi

Today, I went to the London MCM Expo and MK8 was there so I got to play the game myself. It's obvious at this point but the game was fantastic! I played the whole Flower Cup plus Grumble Volcano and I saw others race and I must say everything looks awesome up close.
Interestingly, Blue Shells were a bit rare. Almost as rare as the Super Horn, imo. They showed up once every couple of races. Also, 2nd place racers can get the Crazy 8. This happened twice, one of which where its Red Shell screwed me out of 1st place (dang my friend's luck XD).
Overall, had a great time. 10/10, would race again

Edited on by DreamyViridi

Once a LuigiMan, now a Dreamy representation of the Goddess of Nature.
Retired Palutena Gem Provider.
Mario Maker Levels

Switch Friend Code: SW-6593-3528-8788 | 3DS Friend Code: 0688-5405-0932 | Nintendo Network ID: LuigiMan200

Booboos35

6 days!!!! So close

The King Of Strong Style

foodmetaphors

Finally put my preorder in with Best Buy for in-store pick up (didn't trust their free shipping to be on time, plus as long as I can pick it up by about 2pm, I'll be able to grab it on my way into work), couldn't pass up on the gas card deal and I've decided I'll probably get Pikmin 3 as my free game. This'll be my first Pikmin game so hopefully I like it.

everything's good and it'll be that way forever!

3DS Friend Code: 3625-9105-7282 | Nintendo Network ID: FXM-729 | Twitter:

UGXwolf

Pre-ordered at Walmart. Picking it up at Midnight~ Hooray for 24/7 stores. ^^

Also, still haven't chosen between WindWaker HD and Pikmin 3, but definitely leaning towards Zelda. Only real reason I'm not sure is because I might prefer to have the physical disc for WindWaker HD.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

BenAV

Last night I finally bothered to go and play the demo for a couple of hours with a friend while I was in the city after Pokemon regionals.
The game looks amazing and feels really balanced compared to previous entries (took about six races or so till I saw my first Blue Shell), but I definitely have a couple of concerns.

For one, the heavier characters seem to have a really big advantage this time around.
Once a good player with a heavy character gets in front, it's almost impossible to catch up with the item balancing.
I always played as Peach in Mario Kart 7 without a problem, but I was having a bit of trouble consistently winning with her here and found it a lot easier when I gave Bowser a shot.
It was just the two of us on 100cc, however, so it's hard to say how much of a factor this'll be till I can actually play with more competition.

My other major issue is the fact that you can get coins as items.
I often found that I could go for a whole lap with getting nothing but coins from item boxes, and quite often shortly after my friend would get triple red shells right behind me and it's an automatic loss right there.
I was actually losing my voice by the time we stopped playing due to how much I was yelling about the stupid coins.

All in all, had a really fun time though, and can't wait to play the game for real in less than a week.

Had the best banana snipe against my friend.
We were getting towards the end of the race on Sweet Sweet Canyon and he was just chilling in first with a red shell, and I got triple bananas so just took my time and waited for a bit of a straight, lined it up and threw it right on top of his head.
Always a good feeling.

Edited on by BenAV

BenAV

Switch Friend Code: SW-4616-9069-4695 | 3DS Friend Code: 3652-0548-9579 | Nintendo Network ID: Ben_AV | Twitter:

Spoony_Tech

BenAV wrote:

Last night I finally bothered to go and play the demo for a couple of hours with a friend while I was in the city after Pokemon regionals.
The game looks amazing and feels really balanced compared to previous entries (took about six races or so till I saw my first Blue Shell), but I definitely have a couple of concerns.

For one, the heavier characters seem to have a really big advantage this time around.
Once a good player with a heavy character gets in front, it's almost impossible to catch up with the item balancing.
I always played as Peach in Mario Kart 7 without a problem, but I was having a bit of trouble consistently winning with her here and found it a lot easier when I gave Bowser a shot.
It was just the two of us on 100cc, however, so it's hard to say how much of a factor this'll be till I can actually play with more competition.

I often found that I could go for a whole lap with getting nothing but coins from item boxes, and quite often shortly after my friend would get triple red shells right behind me and it's an automatic loss right there.
I was actually losing my voice by the time we stopped playing due to how much I was yelling about the stupid coins.

All in all, had a really fun time though, and can't wait to play the game for real in less than a week.

Had the best banana snipe against my friend.
We were getting towards the end of the race on Sweet Sweet Canyon and he was just chilling in first with a red shell, and I got triple bananas so just took my time and waited for a bit of a straight, lined it up and threw it right on top of his head.
Always a good feeling.

Coins really?? I hope it can be turned off. Love your story btw!

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

Shirma_Akayaku

BenAV wrote:

"For one, the heavier characters seem to have a really big advantage this time around."
I find this to be almost true. I've played the demo and easily adapted my MK7 skills, kart setups and found no trouble winning as light weight characters.
I played as Toadette with tons of different vehicle combos an it was pretty easy to win, but when playing Pink Gold Peach, I found myself so far ahead of the pack, I felt little challenge, which was disappointing to me. So I will have to say that speed and drifting plays a big part in this game, not just weight.

BenAV wrote:

I know this was a problem that people pointed out in some reviews and videos, so I've developed / adapted to MK8's item mechanics.
If you find yourself in first and you're using item after item, you're bound to get lots of coins.

Try this: If in first and you're holding a coin, don't use it right away if an item is going to hit you and there's no item box in sight. Instead use it after you get hit so you can reduce your coin loss to only -1.
-3 per hit + 2 per pickup= -1 coin lost.
Use the coins when you're approaching an item box so that the game is less likely to give you the same item coin.

Edited on by Shirma_Akayaku

Wi-Fi Game List:
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Splatoon
Super Smash Bros. Wii U & 3DS + All DLC
Mario Kart 8 + All DLC
Mario Golf: World Tour + All DLC
Mario Kart 7
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon

Wii U & 3DS Game Wish List:...

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9553-9610 | Nintendo Network ID: Toadette75

UGXwolf

Spoony_Tech wrote:

Coins really?? I hope it can be turned off. Love your story btw!

In tournaments and online matches? Yeah. In normal gameplay? Doubt it.

@Rosalina Amazing that all those reviewers never thought to do any of that. Seems so obvious, once it's been said out loud, and it's probably what Nintendo expects you to use the coin item for, anyways, which is why the odds of getting it so high up in the rankings are so high. It's not a defense item like most 1st place options. It's a recovery item.

DBPirate

It's official. You can now count the days until Mario Kart 8 using one hand.

Currently playing: Bayonetta 2

My Nintendo: DillPickle | Nintendo Network ID: Czechmate1129

BenAV

Rosalina wrote:

"For one, the heavier characters seem to have a really big advantage this time around."
I find this to be almost true. I've played the demo and easily adapted my MK7 skills, kart setups and found no trouble winning as light weight characters.
I played as Toadette with tons of different vehicle combos an it was pretty easy to win, but when playing Pink Gold Peach, I found myself so far ahead of the pack, I felt little challenge, which was disappointing to me. So I will have to say that speed and drifting plays a big part in this game, not just weight.

I could beat the CPUs easily with the lighter characters without any issue at all (especially considering it's only 100cc), but when playing against my friend who's pretty decent and was using a heavy character, it was really challenging to keep up with a lighter weight class.
If he got out to a lead then I could never catch up, because his character is faster (fast vehicle too of course) and there aren't many items to help.
I didn't have the same luck as him with getting triple red shells in second place, I kept still just getting coins, green shells and bananas.
What made it even more annoying was he kept getting Mushrooms in first place at perfect times, he really had all the luck, haha.

Rosalina wrote:

Try this: If in first and you're holding a coin, don't use it right away if an item is going to hit you and there's no item box in sight. Instead use it after you get hit so you can reduce your coin loss to only -1.
-3 per hit + 2 per pickup= -1 coin lost.
Use the coins when you're approaching an item box so that the game is less likely to give you the same item coin.

That's pretty much what I was doing.
I'd often just hold onto an item so I'd have some red shell protection, and I'd hold onto my coins till the next item block is coming up, but it was still nearly always another coin.
I had races where the entire first lap I would literally get nothing but coins, so I'm just a sitting duck when the red shell finally comes.

BenAV

Switch Friend Code: SW-4616-9069-4695 | 3DS Friend Code: 3652-0548-9579 | Nintendo Network ID: Ben_AV | Twitter:

Shirma_Akayaku

BenAV wrote:

That's pretty much what I was doing.
I'd often just hold onto an item so I'd have some red shell protection, and I'd hold onto my coins till the next item block is coming up, but it was still nearly always another coin.
I had races where the entire first lap I would literally get nothing but coins, so I'm just a sitting duck when the red shell finally comes.

Then I only have one question. During the race, when you got the coin item, were you maxed out at 10 coins already?

I can't really advocate for multiplayer since I haven't played with others, but I'm guessing the game will probably feel different when it comes to luck.

Edited on by Shirma_Akayaku

Wi-Fi Game List:
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Splatoon
Mario Kart 8 + All DLC
Mario Kart 7

BenAV

Rosalina wrote:

Then I only have one question. During the race, when you got the coin item, were you maxed out at 10 coins already?

A majority of the time, yes.
I make sure to pick up as many coins as possible, even while at ten, so that my opponents miss out on them (unless it requires me going out of my way, of course).
I got the coin item many times while holding ten coins... wish it wouldn't appear if you had ten, then I wouldn't have any major complaints.

BenAV

Shirma_Akayaku

BenAV wrote:

I make sure to pick up as many coins as possible, even while at ten, so that my opponents miss out on them (unless it requires me going out of my way, of course).
I got the coin item many times while holding ten coins... wish it wouldn't appear if you had ten, then I wouldn't have any major complaints.

Oh, by the way, if you're maxed out at 10 coins, don't go out of your way to get more unless the opponents are right behind you, or if you need to unlock parts. Otherwise you might waste time trying to get them when you can be cutting sharper corners instead. The coins just respawn too fast to be able to prevent someone else from getting them.

Wi-Fi Game List:
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Splatoon
Mario Kart 8 + All DLC
Mario Kart 7

BenAV

Rosalina wrote:

BenAV wrote:

Oh, by the way, if you're maxed out at 10 coins, don't go out of your way to get more unless the opponents are right behind you, or if you need to unlock parts. Otherwise you might waste time trying to get them when you can be cutting sharper corners instead. The coins just respawn too fast to be able to prevent someone else from getting them.

I know, hence the part in brackets.
I wouldn't go out of my way just to pick up more coins, but if they're basically in my path and won't slow me down then I make sure to pick them up as I go past.
Even as far as vehicle parts go, I'm pretty sure you can only get the ten per race anyway.

BenAV

UGXwolf

@BenAV Your friend's MK luck sounds like my Mario Party luck. I'm usually the winner because I know how to play the game, but even when I'm losing, I win. Example:

I was playing MP8 with my sister and we were in King Boo's Mansion (or whatever that level was called.) She got an early lead and kept it through the whole game. At the end, she had 3 stars, Mario had 1, the other CPU had none and neither did I. I got every single bonus star and came in first, regardless. Another time, I was playing with a group of people on Koopa's Tycoon Town. I had 11 stars at some point because I landed on both lucky spaces and owned at least three other hotels. Naturally everyone got pissed and made it a personal mission to start taking my stars, but I still ended off with about 8 stars under my belt. Short version, I'm the guy nobody likes to play with.

BenAV

UGXwolf wrote:

@BenAV Your friend's MK luck sounds like my Mario Party luck. I'm usually the winner because I know how to play the game, but even when I'm losing, I win. Example:

I was playing MP8 with my sister and we were in King Boo's Mansion (or whatever that level was called.) She got an early lead and kept it through the whole game. At the end, she had 3 stars, Mario had 1, the other CPU had none and neither did I. I got every single bonus star and came in first, regardless. Another time, I was playing with a group of people on Koopa's Tycoon Town. I had 11 stars at some point because I landed on both lucky spaces and owned at least three other hotels. Naturally everyone got pissed and made it a personal mission to start taking my stars, but I still ended off with about 8 stars under my belt. Short version, I'm the guy nobody likes to play with.

Haha, nice one.
My experience with playing Mario Party with friends is usually I start well, then get all the worst luck ever and fall behind, then come back a little at the end and win with bonus stars.

I hope my luck in Mario Kart 8 when it actually comes out is nowhere near as bad as it was last night.
Having three laps instead of two might help a bit as well, because at least there's a bit more time to make a comeback rather than it just being game over when a CPU hits you with a green shell from the first item block.

BenAV

BenAV

DestinyMan wrote:

The two laps are always a standard in demos, so I was never caught by surprise by that.

Neither, I remember the Mario Kart 7 demos being two laps so I expected much of the same here.
Pretty sweet that they gave us eight tracks to play on, could have easily been a lot less.
Kept us pretty entertained for a couple of hours, only stopped playing because it got to 7pm and the store was closing.

BenAV

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic