Forums

Topic: Mario Kart 8 - OT

Posts 1,941 to 1,960 of 4,852

mystman12

Hmm... Another possibility could be that players without DLC can't vote for DLC tracks, but can still play them if they get randomly chosen, instead of just spectating. That would give them a good taste of the tracks and if they like them enough, they can purchase them so they can vote for them and play them in local multiplayer.

I like makin' games!
Future Pinball games!
Petit Computer games!!
and SmileBASIC games!
Waiting for Kirby Air Ride 2. One day, it will come. One day...

3DS Friend Code: 0259-0292-5888 | Nintendo Network ID: mystman12 | Twitter:

kletro

mystman12 wrote:

Hmm... Another possibility could be that players without DLC can't vote for DLC tracks, but can still play them if they get randomly chosen, instead of just spectating. That would give them a good taste of the tracks and if they like them enough, they can purchase them so they can vote for them and play them in local multiplayer.

This is ingenious!

kletro

Nintendo Network ID: kletro | Twitter:

Donalp15

mystman12 wrote:

This will just end up will people with the DLC only choosing DLC tracks, amd the players without thinking, 'if I can play them without the DLC, why bother paying for it'
Not a good business strategy.

FC 0516 7736 7877

DefHalan

Donalp15 wrote:

mystman12 wrote:

This will just end up will people with the DLC only choosing DLC tracks, amd the players without thinking, 'if I can play them without the DLC, why bother paying for it'

Totally agree, that is why I think the spectate thing would work out great. If you don't want to watch DLC tracks then buy them or try your hardest not to let them get voted.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

mystman12

Donalp15 wrote:

mystman12 wrote:

Actually, with the new voting system (Where each race randomly picks three tracks to vote for) this shouldn't be a problem!

I like makin' games!
Future Pinball games!
Petit Computer games!!
and SmileBASIC games!

Shirma_Akayaku

DestinyMan wrote:

@mystman12: I didn't think of the new online track-choosing system before. That's actually not a bad idea. By having players choose between three random tracks and then spin a roulette, It helps keep races fresh by not letting someone pick the same track over and over again and potentially force everyone to race the same track over and over again if all the tracks were offered.

It helps a lot, but it's still possible for that to happen.
So how does the process work exactly? People pick their tracks, then 3 are randomly selected, then people vote on one of the three tracks?

Wi-Fi Game List:
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Splatoon
Super Smash Bros. Wii U & 3DS + All DLC
Mario Kart 8 + All DLC
Mario Golf: World Tour + All DLC
Mario Kart 7
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon

Wii U & 3DS Game Wish List:...

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9553-9610 | Nintendo Network ID: Toadette75

mystman12

@Rosalina I think it works like this: Before each race the computer randomly chooses three tracks, and every player can vote on one or just choose random. I'm assuming it chooses the track not by which one gets the most votes, but by randomly choosing a player and the track he picked.

I like makin' games!
Future Pinball games!
Petit Computer games!!
and SmileBASIC games!

RedYoshi999

Even though I would buy any DLC tracks, I wouldn't like to see spectating implemented if you don't own them. I already find it annoying when you join a group and have to sit through an entire race before you get started. Imagine doing that every few races! It ends up punishing the people who bought the game and were content with it. The best way I can see is allowing everyone to race if one gets selected, but not allowing those that don't own it to vote for it, similar to how if you haven't unlocked tracks in the main game, you cant vote for them online but still play them if they're selected.

DLC battle arenas are probably a better choice, since battle tracks don't seem very popular. They could also be put in a separate mode because they'd be very different from tracks, allowing people to choose whatever they prefer, and keep the DLC exclusive.

In terms of character DLC, I'd rather they stay free because they don't add anything to the gameplay or longevity of the game.

RedYoshi999

3DS Friend Code: 4682-8576-2407 | Nintendo Network ID: RedYoshi999

DefHalan

Then why buy DLC? I get to race on the track as oftwn as anyone else, just not in local multiplayer. Letting people who didn't buy DLC race on a DLC track defeats the purpose of charging for DLC. Even with only DLC owners getting to vote for DLC tracks that just means I am not going to vote giving me the best chance to get the DLC track.

Ryno

Has this been posted?

Untitled

To blessed to be stressed.
80's music makes me feel fabulous.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

SparkOfSpirit

Spanjard wrote:

I don't see how you can go wrong with arenas as dlc though. People who like battle mode will buy it nonetheless and people who don't care for it won't be playing it anyway.

Exactly. Honestly, this is what I want most.

“A thing may be too sad to be believed or too wicked to be believed or too good to be believed; but it cannot be too absurd to be believed in this planet of frogs and elephants, of crocodiles and cuttle-fish.”
― G.K. Chesterton

e-love

Like I said before. I can definitely see DLC for battle mode arenas + characters as an option in the future.

✰ not around as much as I used to be ✰

AccessibleDaydream

Ryno wrote:

Untitled

I can't quite make out the Wii Wheel controls. What do they say?

AccessibleDaydream

Switch Friend Code: SW-2307-0614-2423 | My Nintendo: Dj64Mk7 | Nintendo Network ID: Dj64Mk7 | Twitter:

Bolt_Strike

Ryno wrote:

Has this been posted?

Untitled

Those Wii Wheel controls make no sense. They mapped items to the control pad and both reverse and drifting/tricking to the 1 button? How does that work?

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

19Robb92

ChrisT99 wrote:

I can't quite make out the Wii Wheel controls. What do they say?

D-Pad = Throwing items
1+B = Drifting
Motion controls = Turning
1 = Reverse
2 = Gas

Looking forward to: No More Heroes: Travis Strikes Again

3DS Friend Code: 3007-8070-6318 | Nintendo Network ID: 19Robb92

Eel

About download content and online matches...

It's called a "compatibility update". Basically, if they want people to be able to play dlc tracks online all they need to do is force everyone to download the content to their WiiU and then just "unlocking" it by buying the dlc.

Non buyers can play with them in online matches, but not freely whenever they want them.

Another option is disabling tracks not everyone has downloaded. So, if all X racers have bought the dlc, then they can play it online. If one hasn't then the others can't select it.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

DefHalan

Moorpheel wrote:

It's called a "compatibility update". Basically, if they want people to be able to play dlc tracks online all they need to do is force everyone to download the content to their WiiU and then just "unlocking" it by buying the dlc.

Non buyers can play with them in online matches, but not freely whenever they want them.

Another option is disabling tracks not everyone has downloaded. So, if all X racers have bought the dlc, then they can play it online. If one hasn't then the others can't select it.

I just don't understand why anyone would let people play DLC courses it they didn't buy them. What is the incentive to purchase DLC if you can play it without purchasing it?

Most of my multiplayer will be online so I won't have an incentive to purchase DLC if I can play DLC courses online without purchasing it.

Edited on by DefHalan

Eel

You didn't get it. It is not about letting non-buyers use them whenever they want to.

It's about not ruining the fun of the ones that purchased it just because one racer has not bought it.

The non buyers wouldn't be able to chose those tracks, but they wouldn't prevent buyers from choosing them should they want to race there.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Inkling

Has anyone had their copy of the game posted yet?

I will update this when Half Life 3 arrives. [Started 17/11/2015]

3DS Friend Code: 4768-7429-4970

RedYoshi999

DefHalan wrote:

Moorpheel wrote:

I just don't understand why anyone would let people play DLC courses it they didn't buy them. What is the incentive to purchase DLC if you can play it without purchasing it?

Most of my multiplayer will be online so I won't have an incentive to purchase DLC if I can play DLC courses online without purchasing it.

Because it's better than the alternatives. Besides, I don't imagine DLC courses will come up too often with the way the new voting system works, and if you wanted to play those tracks at your leisure (especially in local play) then you would have to buy them. The occasional times you might play on a DLC track can even serve as advertising, as Nintendo often lets you sample add on DLC before you buy it (think Wii Sports Club or Mario Golf.)

RedYoshi999

3DS Friend Code: 4682-8576-2407 | Nintendo Network ID: RedYoshi999

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic