Forums

Topic: Mario Kart 8

Posts 1,861 to 1,880 of 4,912

SleepyCrossing

I just played the demo at GameStop, though I've yet to make up my mind about getting the bundle or not. I'd like to, but I need to save cash and I have a small tv in my room w/ internet issues at the moment. So that might get frustrating trying to play MK8 online.

Moving on, the demo was cool. I only played 3 tracks- 1 as Koopa, 1 as Pink Gold Peach, and 1 as Iggy. I played at Electrodome, Cloudtop Cruise, and Mario Kart Stadium. It was fun! I kind of wish I was more familiar with the Koopalings, they seem like fun characters. The gameplay was smooth (though my racing isn't too polished!) I haven't played MK since Wii, as I skipped MK7. The gamepad was easy to use and my only issue was that I couldn't figure out how to survive the long jumps.. I think you have to deploy the hang-glider, and I didn't know the control for it

All in all, the demo was solid. Due to internet issues (off/on, sometimes very slow), do you think MK8 is worth it? Will there be enough single player content to keep me busy when the internet is down, and will it be disappointing to play on a very tiny TV? Regardless, its a fun game. Though I am considering waiting for E3 to get the bundle. I want to know if the Wii U is getting an average level of support (even just first party is OK) in coming months/years. Sorry for the long post. MK8 was fun and I'm looking forward to seeing reactions upon its release

Edited on by SleepyCrossing

3DS (Playing): Bravely Default, Conception II, DKCR, SMT:IV
3DS Wishlist: Kirby TD, Smash, Pokemon AS, Fantasy Life, Persona Q, Etrian Odyssey Untold
Wii U (Playing): Mario Kart 8, Wind Waker HD, Monster Hunter 3U, DKCTF, Zombi U, Shovel Knight
Wii U Wishlist: Bayonetta 2, Hy...

Datasun_7

Thanks for your impressions guys I love reading your thought on an unreleased game

Proud Samus main for ssb4!
Hyped for Capt. Toad, Yoshis woolly world, Mario maker and splatoon in the first half of 2015
Wii U, 3DS and PS4 owner

3DS Friend Code: 2595-1379-1446 | Nintendo Network ID: Datasun_7

emaan

Rosalina wrote:

You forgot to mention that Rosalina's voice is downright terrible.
After I won a race with her, she goes: "Oh Yeah! Winner!"
It may not seem like much typed out, but when you hear her say it, you may cringe if you're a Rosalina fan.

You didn't cringe at her voice in Mario Kart Wii and 7? I always thought her voice in the spin-off games have been weird compared to how she sounded in the Galaxy games.

ديسكو الحب
✰ not around as much as I used to be ✰

3DS Friend Code: 0559-6948-0467 | Nintendo Network ID: Emaann

Joeynator3000

Wait, doesn't this game have a new vehicle? I forgot what it was called, but I think the site or an article mentioned it somewhere...

Dj64Mk7

WARNING: This will be an extremely long post.

Following are my very first impressions of Mario Kart 8:

As I hit “Play Demo” on the kiosk screen, my adrenaline was running on high. This was a moment that I had been waiting so long for. YouTube videos and written reviews can only do so much after all. This is the account of my first experience with the new Mario Kart 8, and let me tell you (as countless others already have), May 30th! can’t come soon enough. Start your engines, ‘cause here we go…

The bright lights and neon signs of Mario Kart Stadium prove from the very beginning that this is a brand new experience. As Bowser and I attempted the first turn in our shiny Circuit Special, we slid too far and ended up in the grass. When we went through the first Item Box, we were given a bright yellow, smiling, banana, which Bowser was so carefully holding in his hand (claw?). After this, we entered into anti-gravity mode, which caused the handling to change ever so slightly. In order for us to return to to normal gravity, the game sent us over a gliding strip, which we skillfully maneuvered to get the most coins. Finally, we reached the finish line, where we earned a silver trophy.

With club beats and separate green and red paths, Electrodrome provides a nice change from the usual silliness of Mario Kart. Although the Badwagon looks awesome, it doesn’t do awesome with this course. While speeding around corners, it is incredibly easy to fall off course, which happened many times to poor Bowser. When the fall-fest was over and done with, we entered into the branching anti-gravity paths, of which we took the red one and fell off once more. After a successful power slide back into the race, we had some hang time with the crazy awesome Peach Parasol. After this, it was all over, what with us coming in fourth place, thus getting no trophy.

Our departure time was arriving in exactly three seconds, at which point Baby Mario and I boosted off in our fresh Mach 8. This is one flight that starts off with a bang, as you move straight into anti-gravity gliding after the first few turns. With our Roller tires, we had no trouble whatsoever sticking to the tarmac for the entire race. Near the baggage claim, we found a shortcut,which you can’t be caught by the TSA for taking. It was an incredibly successful trip, one that landed us first place and a gold trophy.

Going even father into the sky, Baby Rosalina and I took part in a race on Cloudtop Cruise. This was no usual Sunday drive as you race on top of a pirate ship, and through a storm. Luckily, our Circuit Special with its Slim tires handled the turns with ease. The last Item Box in the course gave us something rare and special: the Super Horn. It had a misfire, however, so there was no Spiny-stopping action today. Misfires can be good, though, as this one landed us with first place, ten coins, and the gold trophy.

Lastly, Koopa Troopa and I took the Badwagon out for a test drive on Toad’s Harbor. From the very beginning, we knew that we were set to be a lesser Koopaling, if only because we took the path less traveled. This ended with us in a tight situation, as we were caught between the wall and a trolley car. When we sped past that section, we were all set to win, until we were hit with a red shell. On the second lap, we took the upper path to avoid the previously tight situation. This led us to a total victory, as we finished the demo with first place, ten coins, and a gold trophy.

This has seriously has me thinking, “has anybody invented a machine to speed up time?” It’s not just hype anymore. Now that I’ve actually had a chance to play Mario Kart 8, I have realized what this really is: the culmination of all things Nintendo. The best music, the best gameplay, the best graphics. The best, well, everything. This is the best, and this is what we’ve come to know Nintendo for over the past twenty-nine years. Start your engines, ‘cause here we go…

Are there any questions, comments, or concerns regarding the demo, Mario Kart 8, or anything else?

Edited on by Dj64Mk7

Dj64Mk7

Nintendo Network ID: Dj64Mk7

Blur_Escalation

@ChrisT99
How'd you remember all this?
It sounded more like a story than an impression. But I think I'm a bit nitpicky here.

Blur_Escalation

Dj64Mk7

BlueBlurIxM wrote:

@ChrisT99
How'd you remember all this?
It sounded more like a story than an impression. But I think I'm a bit nitpicky here.

My Dad took notes for me .

That's what I was going for, something that I can say "I wrote this", and be proud. I'll give my bullet-point impressions in a little bit.

DestinyMan wrote:

Nice essay. What did you think of Cloudtop Cruise? I'm still stunned by the visuals in that track.

Thanks; it means a lot. Cloudtop Cruise was pretty amazing. Not only was it beautiful, but the Mario Galaxy sample in the audio makes it even better.

Edited on by Dj64Mk7

Dj64Mk7

Jazzer94

I've had a chance to play the demo for Mario Kart 8 at a Game store and I liked it so no need to cancel my preorder.

PSN: mangaJman
SSBB FC: 1204-1132-2888
My YouTube
The Jazzloggery
Once you see you can never unsee

3DS Friend Code: 5155-3100-6367 | Nintendo Network ID: Justinius94

Dj64Mk7

About the Demo
single and multiplayer were the only selectable options
all thirty characters were selectable
5 each of karts, tires, and gliders were selectable
8 tracks were selectable
all races were in 100cc
only 2 laps per race

Gameplay
controls are similar to Mario Kart 7, but tweaked with different feel
mini-turbo is slightly delayed after hop and turn
Baby Mario/Mach 8/Roller tires/Waddle Wing feels most responsive
nearly impossible to look at map on GamePad while racing
Blooper covers nearly entire screen
multiplayer splits the screen vertically
Super Horn appeared one time in entire demo (in first place)
two blue shells in entire demo

IMO, Toad Harbor is one of the best courses, tied with Cloudtop Cruise. My Dad said that Toad Harbor “reminded him of DS Delfino Square.”

Edited on by Dj64Mk7

Dj64Mk7

Blast

ChrisT99 wrote:

About the Demo
single and multiplayer were the only selectable options
all thirty characters were selectable
5 each of karts, tires, and gliders were selectable
8 tracks were selectable
all races were in 100cc
only 2 laps per race

Gameplay
controls are similar to Mario Kart 7, but tweaked with different feel
mini-turbo is slightly delayed after hop and turn
Baby Mario/Mach 8/Roller tires/Waddle Wing feels most responsive
nearly impossible to look at map on GamePad while racing
Blooper covers nearly entire screen
multiplayer splits the screen vertically
Super Horn appeared one time in entire demo (in first place)
two blue shells in entire demo

IMO, Toad Harbor is one of the best courses, tied with Cloudtop Cruise. My Dad said that Toad Harbor “reminded him of DS Delfino Square.”

Thanks for sharing

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

Joeynator3000

Xiao_Pai wrote:

Wait, doesn't this game have a new vehicle? I forgot what it was called, but I think the site or an article mentioned it somewhere...

...Guess not then. o.o
EDIT: ATV, that's what it's called, is it in the demo?

Edited on by Joeynator3000

Dj64Mk7

Blast wrote:

Thanks for sharing

Sure thing. I'm always happy to give back to the community.

Xiao_Pai wrote:

No, ATVs were not in the demo that I played.

Dj64Mk7

Gold_Ranger

I played Mario Kart 8 today.
It was fun!
HOWEVER...
There was no Battle mode available... just races.
There were 12 players going at once... which made it more interesting.
NO Blue/Spiny Shell in sight... thank goddesses
Every Character was already unlocked and so were nearly all of the Kart Customizations.
Not many people showed up, but that's understandable seeing as it was not promoted properly, I myself only found out this week.

The game ran beautifully and looked amazing! suck attention to even the smallest details.
The races were very short though, they only were 2 laps each.

The cons:
Gliding... Again, it serves NO purpose. There should be "flying" stages for the gliders to warrant an inclusion. I hated this with MK7 as well.
When hovering and you go off the track, you slow down... It's unrealistic... just like Episode 1: Racer... You aren't touching the ground, so there is no reason to 1- Slow down and 2- Slip and slide in Water/Ice levels.

Also, the Kart handling was very "swishy" But I only used the Standard Kart for all of the races. I will wait to unlock them all in my copy of the game before I try the other ones.
With as much as was already revealed, I want to have a few things left unspoiled...

Gold_Ranger

2Pac

ChrisT99 wrote:

Blast wrote:

Thanks for sharing

Xiao_Pai wrote:

ATVs were in the demo I played.../:

the switch is pretty cool.

3DS Friend Code: 3995-6550-4870 | Nintendo Network ID: pacmanracing2003

Joeynator3000

BusterRed123 wrote:

ChrisT99 wrote:

Blast wrote:

Thanks for sharing

Xiao_Pai wrote:

ATVs were in the demo I played.../:

...Are there different demo versions out there or something?

Shirma_Akayaku

Emaan wrote:

Rosalina wrote:

You forgot to mention that Rosalina's voice is downright terrible.
After I won a race with her, she goes: "Oh Yeah! Winner!"
It may not seem like much typed out, but when you hear her say it, you may cringe if you're a Rosalina fan.

You didn't cringe at her voice in Mario Kart Wii and 7? I always thought her voice in the spin-off games have been weird compared to how she sounded in the Galaxy games.

IMO, the best voice in the spin-offs is in Mario Kart Wii. She was still voiced by Mercedes Rose (who also voiced Galaxy), but Kerri Kane in MK7 was okay, just not the best. I just wish that Mercedes Rose still voiced Rosalina because she really matched her emotions / looks.

Apparently Mercedes Rose said she was replaced for no reason, and they didn't call her back to voice Rosalina in the other games.

Wi-Fi Game List:
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Splatoon
Super Smash Bros. Wii U & 3DS + All DLC
Mario Kart 8 + All DLC
Mario Golf: World Tour + All DLC
Mario Kart 7
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon

Wii U & 3DS Game Wish List:...

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9553-9610 | Nintendo Network ID: Toadette75

NinjaWaddleDee

A friend and I played four tracks at the Gamestop Demo, on split screen. There was absolutely no lag on spiltscreen, and the game overall felt like playing Mario Kart 7, and was buttery smooth. I wasn't very impressed with Mario Kart Stadium, but once I started playing some of the cooler levels like Toad Harbor, I got hooked!

Check out my YouTube channel if you love gaming, and Nintendo (especially Metroid) I think you'll enjoy my videos. :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCagN36OxIjCGUVMaYFtPgSg

Nintendo Network ID: NinjaWaddleDee

NinjaWaddleDee

I didn't want to play too much because I didn't want to spoil myself, but my suspicions were confirmed, this game is going to be amazing, but feels ALOT like Mario Kart 7, which isn't exactly a bad thing.

Check out my YouTube channel if you love gaming, and Nintendo (especially Metroid) I think you'll enjoy my videos. :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCagN36OxIjCGUVMaYFtPgSg

Nintendo Network ID: NinjaWaddleDee

Booboos35

NinjaWaddleDee wrote:

I didn't want to play too much because I didn't want to spoil myself, but my suspicions were confirmed, this game is going to be amazing, but feels ALOT like Mario Kart 7, which isn't exactly a bad thing.

Good, because that's the best controlling Mario Kart.

The King Of Strong Style

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic