Forums

Topic: Mario Kart 8

Posts 1,801 to 1,820 of 4,912

UGXwolf

@HaThready I've never heard of anything like that in Mexico. That's a really interesting system. I assume it's like Germany or Japan, where a less-than-impressive score tends to land you in some kind of vocational school?

Anyways, what you should do on the 30th depends on what kind of learner you are and how you do with tests. If studying gets you stressed, you should probably take it lightly the day before a test and use that for review, rather than an actual study session. If studying tends to be calming or is just plain boring, you're probably best just digging in and lasting that final few days.

As for the game, don't let it over-shadow your studies when you have it. Get done what you have to get done and you should be fine, but knowing what needs to be done is up to you. Not us. Good luck.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

UGXwolf

@Dezzy On the testing, it's more than that. The subject matters, of course, but the person taking the test matters, too. I, for one, am a natural test taker. So long as I have the information, I'll typically do well on a test, regardless of how much studying I do (at the level I'm at, that is, which is not very high. I'm sure that when I start getting serious about a major, tests will start to really wear on me, if I keep up my usual methods, but that's neither here, nor there.) Others, however, have to study their hearts out to learn anything and will need to mentally brace themselves to not freak out and forget everything during the test. Still others will need to study, but once they're sure they've got it all down can calmly handle anything thrown their way. While some are masters of application, others are better at theory, and so on, and so forth. You get my point.

On the reviews, I see review scores as a double-edged sword. To someone that's willing to take the number with a grain of salt as a general idea, the scores can be very helpful. For instance, I can look at GI's 5/10 for Goat Simulator and realize that this is because by all conventional means, this is a terrible game. I am aware that this doesn't mean I'll hate it, but that I should approach with caution and I'll likely read the review to see what was said. In context, I'm also aware that it's a sandbox game with minimal goal and direction with no sense of progress, so I'm aware that I likely won't like it and will move on to the next game of interest.

HOWEVER, to someone that doesn't know how to handle review scores, they could really enjoy Goat Simulator, but never try it because Game Informer gave it a 5. They could be sick of Twilight Princess's linear progression, but because everyone gave it top scores, they would just assume that Twilight Princess is the perfect game for them.

Different strokes for different folks, I believe the phrase goes.

MegaStoneSmash91

So it seems the entire character roster has been revealed already from what pretty much everyone has said. Are the Koopalings, Baby Rosalina, and Pink Gold Peach the only unlockable characters, assuming they are unlockable? That's what I've heard, though I can't help but think there's something wrong with that. Some other characters come to mind that don't feel like they should be missing, like Birdo or Dry Bones. I've also heard Bowser Jr. won't be racing this time either. Correct me if I'm wrong on any of this, but not seeing these characters seems odd. I'm still looking forward to the game immensely, this just bothers me.

Edited on by MegaStoneSmash91

Beep.
That is all.

3DS Friend Code: 2423-2791-1985 | Nintendo Network ID: MegaStoneSmash91

BenAV

MegaStoneSmash91 wrote:

Some other characters come to mind that don't feel like they should be missing, like Birdo, Dry Bones, and Toadette. I've also heard Bowser Jr. won't be racing this time either.

Toadette's in, but you're right about all the others.
Probably the strangest ones to be missing are Diddy Kong and Birdo.
I'm not particularly fussed though, because I'd never race as any of them anyway, and I'm a fan of both Peach and Rosalina so don't mind the new variants of them, even if Pink Gold Peach is a bit of a bizarre choice.

MegaStoneSmash91 wrote:

Are the Koopalings, Baby Rosalina, and Pink Gold Peach the only unlockable characters, assuming they are unlockable?

Apparently the unlockable ones are Rosalina, Baby Rosalina, Lakitu, Toadette, Metal Mario, Pink Gold Peach, the Koopalings and Mii.

Edited on by BenAV

BenAV

Switch Friend Code: SW-4616-9069-4695 | 3DS Friend Code: 3652-0548-9579 | Nintendo Network ID: Ben_AV

MegaStoneSmash91

@BenAV Ah, well it's nice Toadette is there, I just don't remember seeing her. Diddy Kong is odd to not include as well since Donkey Kong is there. I used to use him a lot in Double Dash. Do we really know the whole roster for sure? I would think there's still some characters that we don't know about considering all the obvious racers who are absent.

That list of unlockable characters seems to makes sense, but it still only includes ones we know about. How complete of a list is it though? It's quite a few, with a good chunk of them having spiky shells on their backs, but something still feels off.

Edited on by MegaStoneSmash91

Beep.
That is all.

3DS Friend Code: 2423-2791-1985 | Nintendo Network ID: MegaStoneSmash91

BenAV

@MegaStoneSmash91 It's been pretty much confirmed that this is the full roster.
I think the only real way for there to be more than this is if they decide to release DLC at some point in the future, but there's no sign yet that they're planning to.

BenAV

Switch Friend Code: SW-4616-9069-4695 | 3DS Friend Code: 3652-0548-9579 | Nintendo Network ID: Ben_AV

skywake

DefHalan wrote:

I don't think it is terrible advice. I think a lot of people put too much faith in reviews. There are have been 6s that I have enjoyed more than 9s.

I don't look at reviews like that or even review aggregates. I look at it as more of a way of weeding through your options. If you're wondering what game to get then start from the most critically acclaimed game and work down. If you're on the fence and it's getting 80%+ on metacritic then it's probably worth it. If you're on the fence and it's getting scores under 65% then maybe hold off.

Nothing more.... other than the clickbait that people who write the lowest scoring review for the game are aiming for

Edited on by skywake

Some good Aussie musics: King Gizzard, Pond, The Avalanches
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Yosheel

I kind of think that nintendo used several traits from different cultures when creating the Koopalings. I guess since they are not human they don't count.

Then again, I really doubt Nintendo would be able to incorporate diverse characters to the Mario series without them looking like plain stereotypes from the 80's.

Yeah I don’t know either.

Oh look! A Morphloggery.
Oh! eShop Gurus.

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1330-0080 | My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Whopper744

I mentioned this on a comment, but I'm just curious. I've always called the spiny shells, first finders for whatever reason, since Mario kart 64 was released, and I believe most people I have played with call them the same thing, though I've never seen anyone online or the instruction books ever use that term....does anyone else call them this?

Nintendo ID : Whopper744

Twitter: @Whopper744games

online games include: Mario Kart 8, Mario Kart 7, Smash Bros Wii U and 3DS, Super Mario Maker and Splatoon.
Try out my Super Mario Maker stages at well! Here's one to start : F98B-0000-0022-0753
(used to be Joshers744...

3DS Friend Code: 4639-9014-2585 | Nintendo Network ID: Whopper744

Spoony_Tech

Joshers1744 wrote:

I mentioned this on a comment, but I'm just curious. I've always called the spiny shells, first finders for whatever reason, since Mario kart 64 was released, and I believe most people I have played with call them the same thing, though I've never seen anyone online or the instruction books ever use that term....does anyone else call them this?

Never heard of that term!

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

BenAV

Spoony_Tech wrote:

Joshers1744 wrote:

Never heard of that term!

Neither.

BenAV

UGXwolf

I looked at the supposed accusations and all I see is "whine whine, companies are doing what companies do, whine whine whine, battle mode is differeeeeent, whine, whine, whine!" It's really pointless.

Ryno

MegaStoneSmash91 wrote:

@BenAV Ah, well it's nice Toadette is there, I just don't remember seeing her. Diddy Kong is odd to not include as well since Donkey Kong is there. I used to use him a lot in Double Dash. Do we really know the whole roster for sure? I would think there's still some characters that we don't know about considering all the obvious racers who are absent.

That list of unlockable characters seems to makes sense, but it still only includes ones we know about. How complete of a list is it though? It's quite a few, with a good chunk of them having spiky shells on their backs, but something still feels off.

My money is on DLC packs for characters like Diddy, Dry Bones, Birdo, etc. and a new cup with new tracks similar to the Mario Golf DLC packs that have a new character and course. .

To blessed to be stressed.
80's music makes me feel fabulous.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

Smooty

UGXwolf wrote:

@HaThready I've never heard of anything like that in Mexico. That's a really interesting system. I assume it's like Germany or Japan, where a less-than-impressive score tends to land you in some kind of vocational school?

Anyways, what you should do on the 30th depends on what kind of learner you are and how you do with tests. If studying gets you stressed, you should probably take it lightly the day before a test and use that for review, rather than an actual study session. If studying tends to be calming or is just plain boring, you're probably best just digging in and lasting that final few days.

As for the game, don't let it over-shadow your studies when you have it. Get done what you have to get done and you should be fine, but knowing what needs to be done is up to you. Not us. Good luck.

Wow, thank you.
And not really, depending on how well you did the test they give you points, the max is 200, but 100 points come out from how well you did in middle and elementary school, so the test, if you get everything right grants you 100 points too.
The highschool i am aimimg for requires around 165 points, a little hard for me. Im a good student and all but in the last middle school year (there are 3) ive been regular-lazy.
So if after finishing the exam, and getting the other points from how well i did in my studies, if i get less than 165, i'm pretty much doomed and i will have to go to a different high school, they are pretty much the same, but i really do want to get in the one i am aiming for.
Sooo yeah, i'm going to play mario kart 8 the day before the test!

Do you even

UGXwolf

@HaThready It should also go without saying, but everyone has their subject and everyone has their weakness. I'm a Math and Science person, for instance, so going over Math skills would do me next to no good. I suck at History, though, so a review of certain facts and periods that I'm not too familiar with would be a smart idea. Figure out what you need the most work in and use that review day (or cramming day, depending on how you handle it) on subjects you're not already confident in.

MrWalkieTalkie

In talk of the recent "racist" accusations, this could easily be fixed with a simple solution. Lets add El Piantissimo as DLC. He's a human character of color but mainly I'd just like to see him come back. XD

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/users/Mr.WalkieTalkie
Nintendo Network ID: Mr.WalkieTalkie
3DS Friend Code: 4382-2073-7299

VOTE WONDER-RED FOR SMASH!!

Smooty

So... can anyone reply to my question?
can you take off that ugly helmet when using a mii?

Do you even

DefHalan

HaThready wrote:

So... can anyone reply to my question?
can you take off that ugly helmet when using a mii?

I don't know, I don't have the game yet

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic