Wii U Forum

Topic: Mario Kart 8

Showing 1,521 to 1,540 of 4,398

AuthorMessage

NintyMan

1,521. Posted:

Rainbow Road looks and sounds awesome, but if it's true that the gameplay doesn't live up to expectations, then that's a shame. This may end up being the first time a new Bowser's Castle was better than a new Rainbow Road for me, because the new Bowser's Castle seems to get pretty much everything right this time.

And I'm fine with N64 Rainbow Road being shorter. I knew if they ever brought it back Nintendo would make significant changes like length and trick opportunities, because while it didn't bother me, some people really hated how long it was.

Miiverse
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/users/DestinyMan
Donkey Kong- King of the Jungle

3DS Friend Code: 2449-4663-7817 | Nintendo Network ID: DestinyMan

AuthorMessage

Bolt_Strike

1,522. Posted:

Unca_Lz wrote:

Making it shorter would be an improvement. The original was a big borefest that was too dang long

They didn't really need to do that, the problems with the original were that it was too barebones and it was visually bland and hard to figure out where you were going (you couldn't tell how long it was or where the track was heading because of the draw distance). All of which were limitations of the N64 that were fixed in the remade version. But it does fit the one lap, three sections structure, so I see no problem with it.

Edited on by Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

AuthorMessage

Mine01

1,523. Posted:

19Robb92 wrote:

Iggy Koopa all the way!
Untitled

the crazy look and the laugh he does when he hits someone make me wanna main him, but ...

Untitled

i love this guy, and larry

Mine01

3DS Friend Code: 5000-3484-9808 | Nintendo Network ID: soakedmine

AuthorMessage

4cat

1,524. Posted:

Rainbow Road is sorta depressingly easy and short :/

4cat

AuthorMessage

WaLzgi

1,525. Posted:

4cat wrote:

Depends on your definition of "easy". If you play online, we'll make it harder for you ;)

If you care so much for your privacy, what are you hiding?

Nintendo Life moderator and duck.

My BUY_A_WII_U_loggery

3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

AuthorMessage

4cat

1,526. Posted:

Unca_Lz wrote:

4cat wrote:

Depends on your definition of "easy". If you play online, we'll make it harder for you ;)

True lol

4cat

AuthorMessage

BenAV

1,527. Posted:

While it doesn't necessarily look that difficult, the new Rainbow Road does have a pretty long section with virtually no railings, so in a hectic 12 person race against good competition, it could be pretty easy to fall/get bumped off the edge.
Well, maybe not bumped off so much considering it seems to be mostly anti-gravity, but there'll sure be a lot of spin boosting going on I'd imagine so that could make things interesting.

Edited on by BenAV

Nintendo Pocket Football Club - Club Name: True Teikoku | Club ID: 9697C6E03

3DS Friend Code: 3652-0548-9579 | Nintendo Network ID: Ben_AV

AuthorMessage

UGXwolf

1,528. Posted:

So, are we gonna try and set up a launch-week Nintendo Life MK8 tournament?

I COME UPON THEE WITH RIGHTEOUS FURY FROM THAT OF THE SMASH FANDOM! ILLOGICAL STATEMENTS SHALT BE MET WITH ALL OF MINE RAGE... until I do something else. No sense in being grumpy.

AuthorMessage

Bolt_Strike

1,529. Posted:

BenAV wrote:

While it doesn't necessarily look that difficult, the new Rainbow Road does have a pretty long section with virtually no railings, so in a hectic 12 person race against good competition, it could be pretty easy to fall/get bumped off the edge.
Well, maybe not bumped off so much considering it seems to be mostly anti-gravity, but there'll sure be a lot of spin boosting going on I'd imagine so that could make things interesting.

Having long sections with no railings is pretty standard for a Rainbow Road at this point, not exactly surprising.

Bolt_Strike

AuthorMessage

19Robb92

1,530. Posted:

I just created a fake Club Nintendo account and linked it to a fake UK NNID account on my WiiU. Does anyone know if this will allow me to download content from the UK eShop? (I'd like to make use of the "one free game" Mario Kart offer)

I have no problems entering the eShop or anything like that. I'm just wondering if any problems will occur once I actually download something.

Looking forward to: ZeldaU & Hyrule Warriors

3DS Friend Code: 3007-8070-6318 | Nintendo Network ID: 19Robb92

AuthorMessage

BenAV

1,531. Posted:

Bolt_Strike wrote:

BenAV wrote:

Having long sections with no railings is pretty standard for a Rainbow Road at this point, not exactly surprising.

Yes, I am aware of that. :P
Just saying that it might not end up being quite as easily as it initially looks when there's a lot of congestion going around all those anti-gravity curves, which I'm yet to really see in any footage.
I'll look forward to trying out the track myself, hopefully it could be fun even if it is rather short for a Rainbow Road.

AuthorMessage

Bolt_Strike

1,532. Posted:

All right, so here's how I'd design Rainbow Road (it could probably stand to be fleshed out a little more with trick ramps, multiple paths, and antigravity obstacles, but this is basically how I'd do it). It would basically be a one lap course divided into three sections, like 7 and N64's is.

Section 1: The existing design for this course would make a good first section more or less, start with the figure 8 antigravity section, then glide into the space station. Cut out the Metal Star Rings, they'll be encountered later in the course, just head straight to the split paths with the turns (which would probably have to be changed slightly so they don't lead back to the starting line). Instead, you will simply reach the first checkpoint at the entrance to another space station, which leads to Section 2.

Section 2: At the beginning of this next space station section is another circular room, this time with a giant centrifuge in the middle of it which is rotating very fast. You have to circle around the room while dodging the centrifuge. You can either play it safe and take the outside path, or try to pass through the centrifuge's rotation and take the inside path (which is of course, shorter). At the end of each path is an antigravity section where you're inside of a narrow glass tube system which takes you to another part of the station. Both paths converge at this point, and continues along the walls of this section (not really sure exactly what to put here in terms of obstacles or pathways). Eventually, you would go back outside along this narrow pole which turns and starts spiraling around it and ends with a gliding section through some Metal Star Rings (like the one in the actual course). After landing, the track sharply turns straight down and you would reach the second checkpoint, signaling the beginning of Section 3.

Section 3: You continue heading straight down and there's a giant rocket silo staring you in the face in the distance. It fires rockets at you which are obstacles you must dodge. When you reach the bottom of the track, it suddenly whips upside down and you start heading back up on the underside of the track you were just on, and then eventually turns and flips right side up again. You then approach another space station, with rockets firing across the track. There are a couple of trick ramps that you can use to reach some Metal Star Rings that will give you a boost, but you would have to be careful of rockets flying above you while doing this. Once you reach the inside of the space station, you would turn and head up the left side wall. Here is another centrifuge section, but this time, the centrifuge is an antigravity obstacle, so you can hit it to Spin Boost. At the end of that you exit the space station, and then you must glide across a large pit full of rockets constantly firing upwards. There will also be a few Metal Star Rings in the level to give you a boost through this section. After that, there may be a few more turns for good measure, and then you would reach the finish line.

Edited on by Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

AuthorMessage

UGXwolf

1,533. Posted:

19Robb92 wrote:

I just created a fake Club Nintendo account and linked it to a fake UK NNID account on my WiiU. Does anyone know if this will allow me to download content from the UK eShop? (I'd like to make use of the "one free game" Mario Kart offer)

I have no problems entering the eShop or anything like that. I'm just wondering if any problems will occur once I actually download something.

I'm not entirely sure why you'd need fake accounts, but regardless, it seems like it should work out fine. Not that I've tried. I have an account linked to my own NNID and I don't live in the UK, either. It doesn't seem like there should be any issues, though.

I COME UPON THEE WITH RIGHTEOUS FURY FROM THAT OF THE SMASH FANDOM! ILLOGICAL STATEMENTS SHALT BE MET WITH ALL OF MINE RAGE... until I do something else. No sense in being grumpy.

AuthorMessage

BenAV

1,534. Posted:

Living in Australia, there are some titles that don't make it here the same time as Europe so I have a secondary UK NNID that I use for those titles, no issues at all.
Dunno with the Club Nintendo stuff but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

AuthorMessage

19Robb92

1,535. Posted:

UGXwolf wrote:

I'm not entirely sure why you'd need fake accounts

Because we don't have Club Nintendo in Sweden. So the only way to get anything Club Nintendo related is to have a account in a different country.

Looking forward to: ZeldaU & Hyrule Warriors

3DS Friend Code: 3007-8070-6318 | Nintendo Network ID: 19Robb92

AuthorMessage

RedYoshi999

1,536. Posted:

The new Rainbow Road doesn't really gel with me. Visuals are nice, but the track design and length leaves a lot to be desired. I'm not even particularly fond of the theme. Bowser's Castle looks epic though. N64 Rainbow Road also makes up for what it lacks too.

Wii FC: 8618 6010 9640 8956

3DS Friend Code: 4682-8576-2407 | Nintendo Network ID: RedYoshi999

AuthorMessage

Guitardude7

1,537. Posted:

I agree, I expected A LOT more with this Rainbow Road. It's not that long, there are no loops, it's nowhere NEAR as insane as Mario Kart Wii's Rainbow Road, and it just doesn't look challenging. Maybe it's because the developers over hyped it by saying: "we did something special this time around" but I just don't see it. It looks great but bland in comparison to other Rainbow Roads.

Guitardude7

3DS Friend Code: 4983-5439-2641 | Nintendo Network ID: Guitardude7

AuthorMessage

DefHalan

1,538. Posted:

19Robb92 wrote:

The only thing I would warn about is when downloads go account based (and transferring games to the next system is account based, not system based) you will lose those free games

http://dudehugespeaks.tumblr.com/post/44243746261/nickels-dimes-and-quarters
http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/why-console-specs-dont-matter
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/200271/Video_Don_Daglow_on_nextgen_transition_traps_and_treasures.php

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

AuthorMessage

Sinister

1,539. Posted:

Just preodered the Steelbook. Will be my first ever Steelbook for a game ^^

3DS FC: 4553-9946-1131

AuthorMessage

Retro_on_theGo

1,540. Posted:

Yeah the Rainbow Road is a massive disappointment. N64 remake was amazing and then they tease us by saying "wait until you see what we did for the new Rainbow Road." Wow. This without playing it looks like the worst rainbow road to me so far.

"When freaky aliens give you lemons, make freaky alien lemonade!" -Hades 3DS FC: 5026-4421-7593
Black 2 FC: 0605 4087 9952 My Backloggery
My Colors! 3D Gallery