Forums

Topic: Mario Kart 8 - OT

Posts 1,421 to 1,440 of 4,852

Bolt_Strike

Jazzer94 wrote:

Q and A for Mario Kart 8 (GameXplain)

I'm a bit more worried about battle mode after listening to this.

Battle Mode seems like it's just been getting worse and worse since Double Dash, I've pretty much stopped caring about it at this point.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Blast

Looking back on it... I kinda wished I hadn't seen so many tracks about the game but seeing so many videos only helps build hype for me. I want this game so bad....

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

4cat

Bolt_Strike wrote:

Jazzer94 wrote:

Q and A for Mario Kart 8 (GameXplain)

I'm a bit more worried about battle mode after listening to this.

Battle Mode seems like it's just been getting worse and worse since Double Dash, I've pretty much stopped caring about it at this point.

I agree honestly I wouldn't miss it if they didn't have battle mode in it anymore. They pretty much did that with this mario kart seeing that they didn't make stages for it. But its made the tracks better so I can't complain

4cat

UGXwolf

I'm sure a full 12-player online battle mode will be hectic enough, on the right map. Besides, we've been slowly but surely ignoring battle mode more and more. It used to be a big part of the game back on the N64. Then unlockables became a big thing and it kinda cut the battle play. At least, from my experience, it did.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

Edwicket

Does anyone know if Mario Kart TV launches from within the game or from a separate channel on the Wii U menu?

Edwicket

UGXwolf

Edwin wrote:

Does anyone know if Mario Kart TV launches from within the game or from a separate channel on the Wii U menu?

Not exactly, but from what Andre was saying (and specifically since he didn't mention a separate channel) I'd imagine it's in-game.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

SakuraHaruka

ChrisT99 wrote:

Nintendo has now added the file size for Mario Kart 8 to the eShop. It weighs in at 4949.8 MB (about 5 GB).

Proof: http://imgur.com/jbiDKFS

Wow! 5 GB?!, For everything that contains the game, I find very little in size; good! ^.^

Sakura Haruka / Fluttershy Melodia Meloetta ^^

Switch Friend Code: SW-5972-4207-2604 | 3DS Friend Code: 3136-6953-1796 | My Nintendo: S.Haruka | Nintendo Network ID: Sakura_Haruka | Twitter:

kletro

Spanjard wrote:

Emaan wrote:

Am I the only one who has pretty much avoided the gameplay videos of the full tracks?
I just kind of want everything to be fresh when I play it for the first time I guess.

Nope, me too. I haven't seen anything yet, outside of the official trailers. I think it's pretty weird that al these guys are listening to all the audio tracks already.
They know all the tracks inside out before even playing the game. It's beyond nerdom.

I'm trying to watch as little as possible, but I Couldn't resist some full tracks.

kletro

Nintendo Network ID: kletro | Twitter:

Jazzer94

Some stamps from the game and in game images.

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Edited on by Jazzer94

PSN: mangaJman
SSBB FC: 1204-1132-2888
My YouTube
The Jazzloggery
Once you see you can never unsee

3DS Friend Code: 5155-3100-6367 | Nintendo Network ID: Justinius94

Action51

SakuraHaruka wrote:

ChrisT99 wrote:

Nintendo has now added the file size for Mario Kart 8 to the eShop. It weighs in at 4949.8 MB (about 5 GB).

Proof: http://imgur.com/jbiDKFS

Wow! 5 GB?!, For everything that contains the game, I find very little in size; good! ^.^

This is what experienced programmers working with their own code on familiar hardware can do. A lot of the games made today are built on existing engines with lots of redundant code, but it's not just that. Instead of working with different procedurals and texture mapping techniques, they'll slap a hi-res bitmap on everything.

I'm not saying Nintendo are so much better for doing this, but it's what comes with having some of the most experienced developers on the planet.

Action51

Bolt_Strike

UGXwolf wrote:

I'm sure a full 12-player online battle mode will be hectic enough, on the right map. Besides, we've been slowly but surely ignoring battle mode more and more. It used to be a big part of the game back on the N64. Then unlockables became a big thing and it kinda cut the battle play. At least, from my experience, it did.

Unlockables were not what killed Battle Mode. Heck, Double Dash had unlockable Battle Mode courses.

What killed Battle Mode was stupid design decisions like forced team gameplay in Wii.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

CM30

Pretty much. As did the timer.

There was one other thing that killed it though; level design.

A good arena in a combat related game mode has to have quite a few things. Enough space to drive around without crashing into opponents constantly or being so large you never find anyone. Obstacles to use as cover or hide behind. Spots to use as item 'sniping' locations and for advanced tactics. Etc.

Mario Kart arenas post about 64, didn't really have that. They were too small, too square, too lacking in things to do and generally had little replay value. And battle mode suffered immensely as a result.

Try out Gaming Reinvented, my new gaming forum and website!
Also, if you're a Wario series fan, check out Wario Forums today! Your only place for Wario series discussion!
My 3DS Friend Code: 4983-5165-4...

Twitter:

Azooooz

Big and late news for UK residents:
For limited time, Tesco Direct is offering the Mario Kart 8 Premium Wii U bundle for £200. More details from this link:
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/mario-kart-8-wii-u-including-e...

Edited on by Azooooz

Making promise is easy. The hard part is keeping it.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3533-1743-6611 | 3DS Friend Code: 5069-3944-7877 | My Nintendo: azooooz | Nintendo Network ID: desert_king_Q8

Pagey

I can't wait for this game. My Wii U hasn't been getting a whole lot of love recently but that will definitely be changing on May 30th, this is one of my most anticipated titles this whole year.

PSN: James_Page | NN: 1stGenCummins | XBL: Mopar Parker | Steam: Fred Fuchs

mystman12

Well, it's official. Nintendo is allocating Mario Kart 8, meaning G2k (A local game store that is also a small chain) won't get any copies on launch day, and they had to cancel my preorder and give my five dollars back. I guess I'll just rush into stores on launch day and hope I can find a copy... What I don't understand though is why Nintendo would allocate this game in the first place. Are they really just trying to push downloads or what? I don't know... Well, here's hoping I can find a copy on launch day...

I like makin' games!
Future Pinball games!
Petit Computer games!!
and SmileBASIC games!
Waiting for Kirby Air Ride 2. One day, it will come. One day...

3DS Friend Code: 0259-0292-5888 | Nintendo Network ID: mystman12 | Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic