Wii U Forum

Topic: Looking to buy Wii U possibly, please help.

Showing 21 to 40 of 62

AuthorMessage
Avatar

AlexSays

21. Posted:

If you don't have trouble understanding numbers, the PS3 had the most highest scoring exclusives. Having the single highest scoring exclusive isn't indicative of the entire volume of high scoring exclusives. But I've been over this, and even posted a nice handy list, and some people have a proclivity for staring evidence in the face and maintaining denial.

Also I would not recommend spending a few hundred dollars on a new way to use a browser, but that's just me. Some people have interesting justifications for spending money, to say the least.

AlexSays

AuthorMessage
Avatar

dumedum

22. Posted:

SMG and SMG 2 are two games, not "single", and I have troubles understanding numbers lol. The best games on the PS3 are usually not exclusives and you can get them everywhere (GTA, CoD, Arkham City, Red Dead Redemption, Portal, BioShock etc dominate the top) while the Wii had exclusives as its top games, mostly the top 10 is exclusive.

Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario Galaxy 2
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
World of Goo (console exclusive)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
Xenoblade Chronicles
Metroid Prime Trilogy
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

So the best option obviously is a console for the multiplatform titles if one has interest and time, and a Wii/ Wii U for its unique titles.

Oh yeah and It is just you. Using Wii U as a browser is freakin' awesome. Sorry for you. Most people buy ipads for just browsing, but that's a different story.

Edited on by dumedum

"Dubs Goes to Washington: The Video Game".

Nintendo Network ID: Del_Piero_Mamba

AuthorMessage
Avatar

AlexSays

23. Posted:

Yes, people buy IPads because they also do many other things. If you're going to argue that a Wii U tablet is as useful as an actual tablet, you're not leaving much room for logical discussion.

Also I believe you are confused. Most high scoring PS3 games are multiplatform because it has a ton of high quality multiplatform games. That doesn't somehow diminish the number of exclusives. If you'd like to argue that a higher proportion of high quality Wii games are exclusive, knock yourself out.

If you pick any parameter under 97 though, the PS3 has just as many and most often more exclusives. Please post an unbiased comparison using a uniform parameter, or I'm just going to assume your Nintendo love has clouded your ability to understand numbers.

(Also hahahahaha at using World of Goo. Yes, it's playable on nearly every phone, tablet, and computer, but its totally counts as a 'console exclusive'. Pro tip: if you have to dismiss other platforms to reach exclusivity, its not an exclusive.)

Edited on by AlexSays

AlexSays

AuthorMessage
Avatar

dumedum

24. Posted:

No, actually, many people buy ipads for just that, browsing. People even buy laptops for that reasons. That's the reason they came up with Chromebook etc. Tablets in essence were created mostly for browsing. Wii U is superior in browsing in my experience, and it has the games of course. They go together.

I'm not the one who is confused. You are the always wrong but delusional metacritic obsessor. You also lost the argument with SMG and SMG2 and shifted the goal posts.

"Dubs Goes to Washington: The Video Game".

Nintendo Network ID: Del_Piero_Mamba

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

25. Posted:

dumedum wrote:

Besides all the comments about the games, I would get it for technology alone. There's something really nice about using its internet browser with youtube, or watching Netflix on it, and moving with it all around the house. All it takes is for one game to wow you and you'll be hooked. For me, it was probably Arkham City:AE as it uses the GamePad features very well, and then you can go to the toilet and keep playing it and it looks so fluid and beautiful on the screen. The screen looks so good that when I played NSMB U I preferred the GamePad screen to my TV.

I don't really agree much at all with this. Don't get me wrong, off-TV play is awesome and the GamePad when used properly in a game is fantastic but the rest of it? If it's surfing the 'nets and browsing youtube while wandering through your house you're after get an iPad 2 for about the same price. It'll even work through multiple brick walls and you can carry it in your bag and take it somewhere else entirely. Plus the screen is bigger and better.

So really no, it's only worth it if you're into the exclusive games it has or the exclusive features of the non-exclusive games. Anything else is a stretch.

Edited on by skywake

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage
Avatar

AlexSays

26. Posted:

Still looking for that unbiased comparison where Nintendo has more high scoring exclusives.

Let me know when you finally find one that works in your favor

AlexSays

AuthorMessage
Avatar

dumedum

27. Posted:

Let me know when it becomes interesting to discuss with you things after you are flat out caught mistaken again.

"Dubs Goes to Washington: The Video Game".

Nintendo Network ID: Del_Piero_Mamba

AuthorMessage
Avatar

dumedum

28. Posted:

skywake wrote:

dumedum wrote:

Besides all the comments about the games, I would get it for technology alone. There's something really nice about using its internet browser with youtube, or watching Netflix on it, and moving with it all around the house. All it takes is for one game to wow you and you'll be hooked. For me, it was probably Arkham City:AE as it uses the GamePad features very well, and then you can go to the toilet and keep playing it and it looks so fluid and beautiful on the screen. The screen looks so good that when I played NSMB U I preferred the GamePad screen to my TV.

I don't really agree much at all with this. Don't get me wrong, off-TV play is awesome and the GamePad when used properly in a game is fantastic but the rest of it? If it's surfing the 'nets and browsing youtube while wandering through your house you're after get an iPad 2 for about the same price. It'll even work through multiple brick walls and you can carry it in your bag and take it somewhere else entirely. Plus the screen is bigger and better.

So really no, it's only worth it if you're into the exclusive games it has or the exclusive features of the non-exclusive games or if you want to play. Anything else is a stretch.

Obviously I didn't mean it will replace the games. I mean while waiting for games that interest it's still a cool device. Obviously in the long run you need the games. The whole point is the Videogame console and its games but it can still be fun in drier periods. I have a friend who is in love with it for netflix alone.

"Dubs Goes to Washington: The Video Game".

Nintendo Network ID: Del_Piero_Mamba

AuthorMessage
Avatar

AlexSays

29. Posted:

My mistake, being?

I claimed Sony has more high scoring exclusives. You refuse to disprove this with a comparison. So I should just assume you're right, because you say so?

AlexSays

AuthorMessage
AvatarStaff

WaLzgi

30. Posted:

Too much fire in this thread. Let's chill plz.

If you care so much for your privacy, what are you hiding?

Nintendo Life moderator and duck.

My BUY_A_WII_U_loggery

3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

31. Posted:

AlexSays wrote:

My mistake, being?

I claimed Sony has more high scoring exclusives. You refuse to disprove this with a comparison. So I should just assume you're right, because you say so?

Well, Sony exclusives always sell less compared to Nintendo games. That's one determining factor.
I think Super Mario 3D Land is better than Second Son, Super Smash Bros. better than PS All-Stars or Killer Instinct, Mario Kart 8 looks better than DriveClub, X looks better than FF XV(not PS exclusive, but still), and some games can't even really be compared to another consoles offerings at all.
There isn't a Pikmin 3, Bayonetta 2, Wii Party U, etc. equivalent on other platforms.
The graphics are still up to date on Wii U in comparison for the most part, the games look more interactive, and there are more games to boot.
Sony says they have tons of games in the works, but it's likely I won't like those games, and Nintendo has said they also have more games they haven't announced.

Nintendo OR Sony hasn't shown all the games they're working on, but my general liking of Nintendo games more than PS games is what makes me continue to like Nintendo.

Edited on by SCAR392

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Geonjaha

32. Posted:

SCAR392 wrote:

AlexSays wrote:

My mistake, being?

I claimed Sony has more high scoring exclusives. You refuse to disprove this with a comparison. So I should just assume you're right, because you say so?

Well, Sony exclusives always sell less compared to Nintendo games. That's one determining factor.
I think Super Mario 3D Land is better than Second Son, Super Smash Bros. better than PS All-Stars or Killer Instinct, Mario Kart 8 looks better than DriveClub, X looks better than FF XV(not PS exclusive, but still), and some games can't even really be compared to another consoles offerings at all.
There isn't a Pikmin 3, Bayonetta 2, Wii Party U, etc. equivalent on other platforms.
The graphics are still up to date on Wii U in comparison for the most part, the games look more interactive, and there are more games to boot.
Sony says they have tons of games in the works, but it's likely I won't like those games, and Nintendo has said they also have more games they haven't announced.

Nintendo OR Sony hasn't shown all the games they're working on, but my general liking of Nintendo games more than PS games is what makes me continue to like Nintendo.

Those are all subjective preferences based on one persons opinion. The number of exclusives one system has over another is not.

ON TOPIC REPLY TO JUSTIFY POSTING :3 ~
Don't buy a Wii U, at least not yet. The VC isn't substantial enough yet to stand over that of the Wii's, and the number of games for the system is astonishingly low.

Edited on by Geonjaha

I make Pixel Art on occasion.

3DS Friend Code: 2277-6645-7215

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

33. Posted:

dumedum wrote:

Obviously I didn't mean it will replace the games. I mean while waiting for games that interest it's still a cool device. Obviously in the long run you need the games. The whole point is the Videogame console and its games but it can still be fun in drier periods. I have a friend who is in love with it for netflix alone.

I was just saying it's not the best device for that sort of thing and not the cheapest either. It's like the whole "get a PS3 for Blu-Ray" thing. It was a good point when both were expensive and both cost about the same, it doesn't work now you can get a Blu-Ray player for $70AU. Same thing with the Wii U although you can already get tablets that do a better job of "tableting" for less than the Wii U costs.

As for this whole Sony vs Nintendo thing... make a list people... Metacritic, exclusives with scores above 90:
Wii :

  • Super Mario Galaxy
  • Super Mario Galaxy 2
  • Zelda: Twilight Princess
  • Smash Bros Brawl
  • Zelda: Skyward Sword
  • Xenoblade
  • Metroid Prime Trilogy

PS3 :

  • Uncharted 2
  • Little Big Planet
  • The Last of Us
  • Metal Gear Solid 4
  • God of War 3
  • Uncharted 3
  • Journey
  • Little Big Planet 2
  • Killzone 2

So if it's a contest you want in that sense then Sony wins and ontop of that had numerous multi-platform titles that I excluded. If anyone actually cared about such a nonsense contest (which you really shouldn't and should instead focus on what games you actually want to get personally) then Sony and their fans "win" it ;)

Edited on by skywake

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage
Avatar

AlexSays

34. Posted:

That is a beautiful list of PS3 exclusives. I'm still waiting on that other guy to find a list that goes in the Wii's favor..

Geonjaha wrote:

Those are all subjective preferences based on one persons opinion. The number of exclusives one system has over another is not.

Amen to this

The only objective thing mentioned was sales, and I know Nintendo fans love sales (well less this gen) but that has nothing to do with the assertion that Sony has more high scoring exclusives.

Related to the original poster, the 3DS is a great alternative. Now that Smash Bros is on the 3DS, nearly every Nintendo franchise will have a game on the handheld. In addition to receiving decent amounts of third party support.

Edited on by AlexSays

AlexSays

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

35. Posted:

I'm just sharing my opinion.
I only liked 3 of the 9 Sony games listed by @skywake 's list, and 5 of the 7 Nintendo games in the same post(I didn't really like Galaxy 2, and never got a chance to play Xenoblade).

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

fzerroo

36. Posted:

To be fair, using 90 as an indicator is just as arbitrary as 97. Reviews are not more "objective" than opinions - it just opinions of some people who decideed to run a website or a magazine. Also, you could argue games like The Last of Us for example came recently after Wii U is already out, so even checking out the 90 threshold, it is sort of a tie.

fzerroo

AuthorMessage
Avatar

rockodoodle

37. Posted:

IMO, it just comes down to preference. I guess I'll be branded a fanboy, but I just don't have any interest in a system that doesn't have MarioKart, Donkey Kong, Mario Bros., Smash Bros. etc.

AlexSays wrote:

Still looking for that unbiased comparison where Nintendo has more high scoring exclusives.

Let me know when you finally find one that works in your favor

rockodoodle

AuthorMessage
Avatar

AlexSays

38. Posted:

fzerroo wrote:

To be fair, using 90 as an indicator is just as arbitrary as 97. Reviews are not more "objective" than opinions - it just opinions of some people who decideed to run a website or a magazine. Also, you could argue games like The Last of Us for example came recently after Wii U is already out, so even checking out the 90 threshold, it is sort of a tie.

You can choose any parameter below 97. Anything below makes a bit more sense, since the absolute top two games generally aren't indicative of an entire generation's worth of high scoring exclusives.

You can hold the fact that Sony supported their console longer against them and remove The Last of Us, yet the Wii still doesn't win.

You can go back to 'well everything is an opinion' but I've already said that was understandable earlier. If you like Nintendo games more, buy a Nintendo platform. There is just a misconception on this site that Nintendo has more exclusives than everyone else, and the other consoles only have multiplatform games. That is verifiably false. One can say reviews don't matter, but if a system has 50 games aggregately ranked above 90, compared to a system that has 5, one will be regarded as objectively having a higher quality library. Of course the gap between the PS3 and Wii is infinitely closer (when it comes to exclusives anyway), but its still illogical for Nintendo fans to say the Wii is THE place to go for great exclusives. Other consoles have them too, and sometimes they have more.

Edited on by AlexSays

AlexSays

AuthorMessage
Avatar

GoombaSlayer

39. Posted:

GoombaSlayer wrote:

For me, personally, i am hoping to get rid of the Wii U. But i might pick it up again in the end of the gen if it actually came to worthwhile life during those years.

I don't really understand that mentality. Sell it when the used market is weakest and buy it later new when it's "worth it" again presumably losing all of your digital purchases in the process. Each to their own I guess.

[/quote]
(Sorry about the bad quoting)

I dont really see what there is to argue about.. The second-hand market is nothing new. I dont see a reason to have a device for no reason at all. I´d rather sell it and get some coins for it and if it would, sometime in the future, appear to be a worthy buy then i will give it another chance. Over here the Wii U is currently down at 12 GBP / 190 US dollar for a new unit.. This is the stores that tries to get rid of them / get any interest. Nintendo have made no official price reduction..

I love Nintendo, always have, but TODAY i just dont feel that Wii U was a good buy or that it has a good chance of picking itself up. Mario Kart 8 and X looks amazing.. but so does many other games on platforms who have a lot of more games. I would say that its likely that i will get Wii U again.. backtrack what happened with the console. Hopefully indie devs will start to distrubite retail games as well.. such as Telltale started out on the original Wii. I really like the support Wii U have with Kickstarter campaigns.. however i also dont feel that Nintendo have made a good solution for digital downloads so theres another issue. Anyway, now i sound super negative. I had super fun with Wii U in the first 6 months... NSMBU was great and there was plenty of really fun launch games such as Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, Arkham City and Mass Effect 3.. But today i wouldnt recommend anyone to buy it mainly because
how weak it has been since then and how the future looks (or does not look at all).

The whole "if you love Nintendo games you will like it" i think is a bit farfetched with few Nintendo games out there on the platform and basically all of them basically strikes the same audience. I know Nintendo have had problems with the transition to HD... but one cant deny that X, Mario Kart 8 and so on would have been good for 2013. Not 2014.

Edited on by GoombaSlayer

GoombaSlayer

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

40. Posted:

@AlexSays
All it takes is one favorite game. If I want Super Smash Bros, X, or Mario Kart the most out of everything available, I'm going to buy a Wii U to play those games.

I'm glad I bought my Wii U, because those 1st party gamees alone are worth buying. I got to wait, but those games are better, IMO, than anything Sony will ever be able to do.

EDIT: I want good 3rd party games as well, but that's not mine, or Nintendo's fault if they don't appear.

Edited on by SCAR392

$¢@®³’²

Sorry, this topic has been locked.