Wii U Forum

Topic: Lets be honest; Zelda's Story sucks

Showing 21 to 40 of 85

AuthorMessage
Avatar

HappyHappyist

21. Posted:

GuardianKing wrote:

See, this is where we need to have a discussion about what you think makes a story "good".

its not that i need to describe what makes a story good, but generally Zelda Stories are the same every time, some exceptions of course. stop the bad guy, save the princess, save the world. this is the story for:
-The Legend of Zelda
-Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
-A Link to the Past
-Ocarina of Time
-Minish Cap
-Wind Waker
-Skyward Sword
-A Link between Worlds
most zelda games follow the formula, but the reason it works for the most part id because its told well almost every time a little bit differently.

i am part of a social group interested in uniting the world by painting it blue.
Blue blue.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

RetroChaos-X

22. Posted:

I disagree; I think the games have a great story and are a big reason for why I play the games, I respect your opinion though.

Just Smile.
Check out my Video Game Review blog!

3DS Friend Code: 4699-6785-3864 | Nintendo Network ID: Retro-Chaos

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DashChargedShot

23. Posted:

Let's be honest: The ending of Skyward Sword made me cry.

8 Bit Forward, a new forum with articles and review along with (duh!) a fun and friendly community of people!

My Bio, by True_Hero, and another by Dark-Luigi.

deviantART Profile

Yo dawg

"Yes, people can often be so blinded by their own motivations that they lose sight of the damage they do."

3DS Friend Code: 2578-3165-4977 | Nintendo Network ID: NintenDash

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DanMan82

24. Posted:

The stories seem fine to me. Also, Nintendo has said before that gameplay comes before story in their games. In honor of @MadAussieBloke, I guess the only thing you have left to do is:
Untitled ;)

"If you accept the expectations of others, especially negative ones, then you never will change the outcome."- Michael Jordan
“I am thankful for all of those who said NO to me. Its because of them I’m doing it myself.” – ?????

AuthorMessage
Avatar

HappyHappyist

25. Posted:

KiDasharus wrote:

Let's be honest: The ending of Skyward Sword made me cry.

wow. i feel alone in the notion that the skyward sword story wasn't amazing. i'm the only one i know who hasn't cried at the end of this game. [spoiler]when Fi was put back in the master sword forever, i pretty much said "good riddance"[/spoiler]

Edited on by HappyHappyist

i am part of a social group interested in uniting the world by painting it blue.
Blue blue.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

GuSilverFlame

26. Posted:

DanMan82 wrote:

The stories seem fine to me. Also, Nintendo has said before that gameplay comes before story in their games. In honor of @MadAussieBloke, I guess the only thing you have left to do is:
Untitled ;)

@MadAussieBloke looks like you've got yourself a new fan! :D

Kirby 20th anniversary Remix
Kirby is coming to the 3DS!!!!!!!
my Backloggery
the Chit-Chat Crew!
my Banner made by Dark-Luigi!
My Galaxy Bio also by Dark-Luigi!
All the lights in the sky are stars
visit Nintendo Friends it's a cool place
Row Row, Fight the Power!

3DS Friend Code: 3995-7085-4333 | Nintendo Network ID: GustavoSF

AuthorMessage
Avatar

moomoo

27. Posted:

I agree, for the most part. The only Zelda game that had a story that I liked was Twilight Princess, mainly because it focused much more on Midna and her problems than on Hyrule. The games tend to follow a similar plot, what with saving the princess at all. Majora's Mask deviates from this, but it doesn't really have a story as much as it has a world that you just interact with.

Best thread ever
Feel free to add me on Miiverse or PSN.
Miiverse is Moomoo14, PSN is Moomoo1405390

3DS Friend Code: 4940-5561-6002 | Nintendo Network ID: Moomoo14

AuthorMessage
Avatar

LegoNintendo12

28. Posted:

The stories aren't perfect, but entertaining nonetheless. I've been playing Wind Waker HD. The story is pretty decent, however some things feel like they have been added as filler. Overall, I enjoy the Zelda stories. I really hope Zelda Wii U will have an awesome story :D

LegoNintendo12

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SomeBitTripFan

29. Posted:

KiDasharus wrote:

Let's be honest: The ending of Skyward Sword made me cry.

I think that has to do with the music more than anything.

The Legend of Zelda has a good story in the way that it provides motivation for you to do the things required to beat the game. Anyone who considers the story a masterpiece is obviously delusional, but for a video game, they do reasonably well. The characters are charming, the worlds are memorable, and and there are some moments that can arouse genuine emotion. Should we hail the stories as the lost works of Shakespeare, absolutely not. Should we give them credit for immersing us in a digital world, yes. In a video game, the story should provide the player with a reason to justify their actions. Zelda does this. It connects us to the world and characters, and then threatens it. As a result, we are compelled to protect that world.

Just Someloggery
Current Projects: Beloved Titan
On the Back Burner: The Machine, Ascending Entity, Antumbra, Between Two Causes, Heaven's Point, Binary, A Pixel and a Dot, Base O-70, A Wakeful Purgatory
A Vacation is a Click Away!
My Avatar: Where Doge Coin is Going
Where's the Poetry? I'm lazy.

Nintendo Network ID: SomeBitTripFan

AuthorMessage
Avatar

AJ_Lethal

30. Posted:

>"Lets be honest; Zelda's Story sucks"
>"The following is an opinion of an individual. everyone is entitled to their own, this is mine."

dude, you need more consistence.

deviantART

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SomeBitTripFan

31. Posted:

@AJ_Lethal: You have to get people to respond to this thread somehow.

Just Someloggery
Current Projects: Beloved Titan
On the Back Burner: The Machine, Ascending Entity, Antumbra, Between Two Causes, Heaven's Point, Binary, A Pixel and a Dot, Base O-70, A Wakeful Purgatory
A Vacation is a Click Away!
My Avatar: Where Doge Coin is Going
Where's the Poetry? I'm lazy.

Nintendo Network ID: SomeBitTripFan

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kyuubikid213

32. Posted:

TheOneHacker wrote:

...generally Zelda Stories are the same every time, some exceptions of course. stop the bad guy, save the princess, save the world.

Congratulations. You've laid out the story for practically every game in existence.
Examples of games that follow this are...
Halo
Call of Duty (the non WWII games except exchange princess for codes or another soldier)
Mario
Dante's Inferno
Metroid (save princess becomes recover equipment)
and Dragon Quest just to name a few.

Wii Owner, 3DS Owner, Wii U Owner

I promise to not derail threads. Request from theblackdragon

I promise to be a mature individual. Request from theblackdragon

3DS Friend Code: 4639-9073-1731 | Nintendo Network ID: kyuubikid213

AuthorMessage
AvatarStaff

Unca_Lz

33. Posted:

Majora's Mask had one of the best stories that was deceptively simple. One of the motives involved was "Why bother saving this world when it screwed itself over?"

Nintendo Life moderator and duck

My Retrologgery
LordJumpMad is emperor. U mad?

3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

AuthorMessage
Avatar

BlatantlyHeroic

34. Posted:

@DarkwingLz Not to mention, the whole game was about the stages of grief and coping with death. So the theme was pretty much death.

3DS Friend Code: 0962-9923-0016

AuthorMessage
Avatar

OptometristLime

35. Posted:

Zelda's Story

Is that a game, because I've never heard of it lolol

AJ_Lethal wrote:

DON'T DARE TO TALK CRAP ABOUT GOAT SIMULATOR.

You are what you eat from your head to your feet.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

swordx

36. Posted:

tsm7 wrote:

Personally, I think stories in all video games are bad. They can seem good because of the drawn out interactive experience that video games have paired with a sense of accomplishment. Strip video games down to just their story and they're incredibly basic. I actually think if the story gets too complex it can hinder the gameplay.
And, agreed, you want a good story - read a book.

Xenoblade would like a word with you..n

swordx

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kkslider5552000

37. Posted:

if you think all there is to a video game story is plot, I mostly agree, but that's a flawed and stupid idea, especially for gaming. As soon as you disregard the gameplay as part of the story of the game, you probably miss the entire point honestly (not that some games haven't done this, far from it). While it had issues in some regards, Skyward Sword's combination of story and gameplay during the Ghirahim battles (especially the first one) was nothing short of genius. As another example, Xenoblade Chronicles just based on the story/dialogue etc. has decent but not great JRPG characters but they are elevated into being so much better because of their goofy, endearing, fun catchphrases during battles and their actual use and helpfulness in battle, not to mention the whole heart-to-heart system. Actually being able to kick butt as every party member also does a lot to make you enjoy the characters, especially with all their unique abilities.

Though you are correct that Majora's Mask destroys the other games in terms of the story elements as a whole. Most games could only wish to have the level of subtlety and well thought out themes that game does.

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

Cool link for cool people: http://forums.dctp.ws/

AuthorMessage
Avatar

cookiex

38. Posted:

KiDasharus wrote:

Let's be honest: The ending of Skyward Sword made me cry.

If any scene in SS got to me it was this one.

Edited on by cookiex

cookiex

AuthorMessage
Avatar

HappyHappyist

39. Posted:

kyuubikid213 wrote:

TheOneHacker wrote:

...generally Zelda Stories are the same every time, some exceptions of course. stop the bad guy, save the princess, save the world.

Congratulations. You've laid out the story for practically every game in existence.

i'm sorry, i should have elaborated. if its still an acceptable response, most Zelda games consist of saving Zelda and stopping Ganon. a typical zelda game revolves around saving the princess because Ganon kidnapped her, then killing Ganon.

i am part of a social group interested in uniting the world by painting it blue.
Blue blue.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

8BitSamurai

40. Posted:

Going to agree wholeheartedly with OP here. The stories are pretty basic, and with a few exceptions, all the games are just a retelling of it. " You are hero. Princess is kidnapped. Rescue now". Some of them have a tad better stories, but it never gets too much better. But I think the point of the game is adventuring, skillful action, and puzzle solving, not story.

TheOneHacker wrote:

wow. i feel alone in the notion that the skyward sword story wasn't amazing. i'm the only one i know who hasn't cried at the end of this game. when Fi was put back in the master sword forever, i pretty much said "good riddance"

Gonna have to say I'm with you on this too.

Best YT show here!
Sony '06 - Still the best E3 ever.
Currently playing: Phantasy Star II, Valkyria Chron., Persona 2: IS
Recently beat: Metro: LL, Ys: MoC, Sly 4
Favorite games: Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VII, Symphony of the Night, Dragon Quest VIII, Tales of the Abyss

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6175-1689 | Nintendo Network ID: 8BitSamurai