Wii U Forum

Topic: Just got to get something off my chest...

Showing 61 to 80 of 198

AuthorMessage
Avatar

AlexSays

61. Posted:

darkfenrir wrote:

@AlexSays
I'm not dissing you here, so, I just want to tell you, I like the idea of the tablet, at least Nintendo bring something new to the table, to the console. Most of the time in Sony and Microsoft, they tend to just put more graphics, which is while it's not a bad thing, but I want to see more innovation! I mean, yeah, they have awesome games, but well, the controls? Is there anything new in the new consoles? I know there's probably more than graphics, but that's the main thing people said... so yeah. ^^;;

I also can't diss other consoles because I never bought one, so... my opinion is clearly very biased.

Sorry if I offend you. :)

You're talking to someone that gets called a variety of interesting names on a daily basis, I'm probably the least easily offended person on the Internet. lol

I know some people will like the changes Nintendo brings every gen, the problem is that Nintendo cannot move the industry to fit its desires. Sony and Microsoft roll out smaller changes because they want to be the mainstream source of video game technology. When Nintendo does crazy things like whip out a tablet and not bring the hardware power up to date, a lot of developers and publishers look at it as if its not a viable platform. With the PS4 and X1, there are additional options available (Kinect, PS Move) but they're not forced upon developers. Nintendo pretty much threw a tablet at devs and told them they need to use this somehow. lol.

I know where Nintendo fans are coming from, but this will be a constant fight against the video game industry for as long as Nintendo goes this direction. The architecture involved in developing on their platforms is not dev friendly and they will suffer because of it.

I think a nice alternative would have been for the Wii U to have an entirely different name to avoid confusion, hardware that is architecturally similar and similar in power to the newer consoles, and to sell the tablet separately as an additional option. There's a much higher probability they would have attracted third party devs, they could have launched a much powerful console, and could have still had the tablet benefits for those who wanted them. This probably isn't reasonable due to how much they invested in that tablet, but that is a seemingly much nicer alternative than what they've done.

Edited on by AlexSays

AlexSays

AuthorMessage
Avatar

darkfenrir

62. Posted:

@AlexSays
Well, at least by now it seems Wii U will get a lot of indie developers though. :) From what I see in the article it seems to reach more than 1,000 developers, which means it'll bring a lot of games... of questionable qualities too. I don't know too much of indie developers, but most of the things I heard is that they are mostly good and innovative titles.

I agree with that different name, but that tablet being sold separately? I think that'll make Wii U the same as PS4 and X1. Both of them has that kind of ability, provided you have the item of course, unless Nintendo sells the tablet at a loss, they can't compete with that.

But in a way, I don't want any of the developers to fail, competitiveness is good. ^^ Without competitiveness, we lose innovation, and without innovation, we'll get stuck at the same thing.

darkfenrir

3DS Friend Code: 2122-5996-0541

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

63. Posted:

AlexSays wrote:

darkfenrir wrote:

@AlexSays
I'm not dissing you here, so, I just want to tell you, I like the idea of the tablet, at least Nintendo bring something new to the table, to the console. Most of the time in Sony and Microsoft, they tend to just put more graphics, which is while it's not a bad thing, but I want to see more innovation! I mean, yeah, they have awesome games, but well, the controls? Is there anything new in the new consoles? I know there's probably more than graphics, but that's the main thing people said... so yeah. ^^;;

I also can't diss other consoles because I never bought one, so... my opinion is clearly very biased.

Sorry if I offend you. :)

You're talking to someone that gets called a variety of interesting names on a daily basis, I'm probably the least easily offended person on the Internet. lol

I know some people will like the changes Nintendo brings every gen, the problem is that Nintendo cannot move the industry to fit its desires. Sony and Microsoft roll out smaller changes because they want to be the mainstream source of video game technology. When Nintendo does crazy things like whip out a tablet and not bring the hardware power up to date, a lot of developers and publishers look at it as if its not a viable platform. With the PS4 and X1, there are additional options available (Kinect, PS Move) but they're not forced upon developers. Nintendo pretty much threw a tablet at devs and told them they need to use this somehow. lol.

I know where Nintendo fans are coming from, but this will be a constant fight against the video game industry for as long as Nintendo goes this direction. The architecture involved in developing on their platforms is not dev friendly and they will suffer because of it.

I think a nice alternative would have been for the Wii U to have an entirely different name to avoid confusion, hardware that is architecturally similar and similar in power to the newer consoles, and to sell the tablet separately as an additional option. There's a much higher probability they would have attracted third party devs, they could have launched a much powerful console, and could have still had the tablet benefits for those who wanted them. This probably isn't reasonable due to how much they invested in that tablet, but that is a seemingly much nicer alternative than what they've done.

What you just described was the Xbox One(smartglass being an option, with more console power).
Nintendo has already addressed why they do what they do. They said it's not a good thing to have too many similar consoles on the market.
If Wii U was any different than what it is, that would probably be more damaging to the industry.
So Nintendo needs to either have a weaker console, or a stronger console. Regardless, we're not gonna have 2 identical consoles. That would be stupid.
Even PS4 and Xbox One are different, despite having closer specs to each other than Wii U.

The power and kiddie association with consoles is void. They need to coexist to exist at all.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

AlexSays

64. Posted:

SCAR392 wrote:

What you just described was the Xbox One(smartglass being an option, with more console power).
Nintendo has already addressed why they do what they do. They said it's not a good thing to have too many similar consoles on the market.
If Wii U was any different than what it is, that would probably be more damaging to the industry.
So Nintendo needs to either have a weaker console, or a stronger console. Regardless, we're not gonna have 2 identical consoles. That would be stupid.
Even PS4 and Xbox One are different, despite having closer specs to each other than Wii U.

The power and kiddie association with consoles is void. They need to coexist to exist at all.

I think you're reinforcing what I was saying. The PS4 and X1 aren't the exact same, they have differences, are close in power, yet are able to coexist. Nobody is asking the Wii U to replicate either console, so why couldn't Nintendo also be in the same ballpark when it comes to power in addition to having this optional method for playing games?

People act as if there has to be either new methods of playing games OR increased hardware power. I don't see why attempting to have both isn't feasible, especially given that developers intentionally avoid the console because of its limitations.

Kinect and SmartGlass are entirely different than having a tablet as a primary controller. The idea that the Wii U would enjoy less success because its too similar to other consoles or because it has too much power isn't well substantiated, or even popular outside this forum. Rather, most Wii U owners I know would love for the console to be a bit more powerful and have a shot at playing some of these newer multiplatform titles. You can cite Nintendo and say 'well that's what they want to do' but that doesn't mean people are required to be happy with that decision.

Edited on by AlexSays

AlexSays

AuthorMessage
Avatar

GamerJunkie

65. Posted:

Xbox one got rid of the DRM. Xbox live is a fee, but they do give you numerous things free and lots of online servers and ways to communicate easily with friends and enemies during and after matches, etc. Very smooth UI, not these long load times like Wii U and 20 clicks to do simple things on Wii U. They aren't the best, but the NFL thing and TV stuff will easily outdo the Wii U attempt at making the console be a remote control for TV and that WiiTV thing.

PS4 has free to play online for any Free to Play games like Planet Side 2, DC Universe Online and all the rest coming out. Also PS4 has free online for MMORPGs like FFXIV(no additional fee).

PS4 gives you free games all the time for the $5 or less a month cost of PS Plus. I also expect their UI to be fast, no load times and they will have tons of games in genres Wii U just is lacking.

Wii U makes you pay for about 3-4+ controllers just to be able to use all its features. Wii games use the old wii pro controller, new games on VC use the new pro controller, then there is the WiiMote and nunchuk and balance board and that all adds up to more than the console already.

Wii U has the least games. The least genres of games also as they have pretty much nothing for sports, realistic racing, no RPGs, no MMORPGs, and many more.

Wii U does have great 1st party games, but it all depends on the individual. Some like platforming(Nintendos strength) and some like other stuff like FPS, Sports, Adventure, Open World, whatever.

You can't be mad that the system you choose is not the best. I mean if you are a true gamer, you would buy many platforms to play on and experience all the gaming world has to offer, not limit yourself and sit there defending the one thing you own like a child does.

GamerJunkie

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

66. Posted:

@AlexSays
You don't have to like Wii U's capabilities. That the whole point in saying, that if you don't want to play games using the GamePad, just buy an Xbox One or PS4. If you don't like the direction Nintendo is taking with the Wii U, wouldn't it just be wiser to choose a different console?
Like I said, Nintendo won't compete head on with Xbox One and PS4 for obvious reasons. For example, if Wii U was similar soec wise to the other consoles, would we be choosing graphics over gameplay, paid online over free online, and which games do I want?
Graphics are great, but sometimes sacrificing graphics for something like the GamePad and free online are worth it. Not to mention multiplats are still possible anyway, and next gen, Nintendo will probably go power again, considering they see an opening for that position.
That obviously wasn't the case with Wii U.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Hopper2004

67. Posted:

Nibelilt wrote:

@Hopper2004 /hug

:D
/hugsback

Blaze wrote:

mamp wrote:

Oh great a fanboy >_> whining about how people bash Nintendo, guess what all fanboys bash each other's games systems.

Read the quote below.

Hopper2004 wrote:

But I'm not bashing any console/company. I love the PS3 and the only reason I don't have an Xbox is because of money.

rallydefault wrote:

Don't worry, OP! Just play the games you like and hopefully each of the "big three" will have a solid niche this generation. If all else fails, you could always join us as part of the PC Master Race, as well! Then, instead of getting upset with people making fun of Nintendo, you can actually scoff at all of them for missing the forest for the trees!

Hey, I'm already part of the PC master race! :D How else could I play Half-Life? ;D

GamerJunkie wrote:

Wii U makes you pay for about 3-4+ controllers just to be able to use all its features. Wii games use the old wii pro controller, new games on VC use the new pro controller, then there is the WiiMote and nunchuk and balance board and that all adds up to more than the console already.

How does that make it different from any other console? Every console you have to buy more controllers to "to use all it's features". Also, you don't buy the balance board just because. You buy that if you use Wii Fit, or any other game that uses it. I only have 1 Wii U Pro Controller and have tons of fun in 5-player games.

Edited on by Hopper2004

Hopper2004

Twitter: Hopper200456

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Geonjaha

68. Posted:

@GamerJunkie - While I agree with the general anti-fanboyism statement, not everyone can afford to buy every console, let alone one. Who are you to decide what a 'true gamer' is and how many platforms they need to own for that status? Also I assumed you focused on the bad points of the Wii U to prove a point, because otherwise I'd cite your argument as really hypocritical.

I make Pixel Art on occasion.

3DS Friend Code: 2277-6645-7215

AuthorMessage
Avatar

AlexSays

69. Posted:

SCAR392 wrote:

@AlexSays
You don't have to like Wii U's capabilities. That the whole point in saying, that if you don't want to play games using the GamePad, just buy an Xbox One or PS4. If you don't like the direction Nintendo is taking with the Wii U, wouldn't it just be wiser to choose a different console?

I plan on doing this. Regardless, I am perfectly capable of indicating which direction I believe they'd be best in. You certainly don't have a problem talking about consoles you don't intend to purchase.

Like I said, Nintendo won't compete head on with Xbox One and PS4 for obvious reasons. For example, if Wii U was similar soec wise to the other consoles, would we be choosing graphics over gameplay, paid online over free online, and which games do I want?

What? Why do you have to choose between graphics and gameplay, why can't you have both? Why does better hardware mean Nintendo would have to charge for online? And I don't even understand the last part about games.

If Nintendo has the amazing exclusives everyone claims they have, then the console should still stand out amongst its competitors on even ground. Your whole stance centers on Nintendo games not being good enough unless they have the novelty factor. This honestly sounds like an attempt to justify what Nintendo is doing, rather than realizing they could have done something just a little bit better.

Graphics are great, but sometimes sacrificing graphics for something like the GamePad and free online are worth it. Not to mention multiplats are still possible anyway, and next gen, Nintendo will probably go power again, considering they see an opening for that position.
That obviously wasn't the case with Wii U.

Why do you have to sacrifice anything? Again you're justifying their actions because you believe it is impossible to have both when there's no reasoning to support that.

And multiplats are possible? Yeah sure, multiplats from last gen. How many multiplats are lined up for the Wii U at the moment, besides from Ubisoft and maybe EA sports games? The great majority of developers are refusing to even consider the system, and at what cost? Having some games use the tablet for quirky little things? Because Nintendo fans feel they have to be unique and all of those award winning multiplats are just for the mainstream? C'mon now, Nintendo could innovate the way we play games while being more dev friendly whether you would like to believe so or not.

If there has been groundbreaking uses of the Wii U tablet, that make it totally worth it to only appeal to a very small minority of developers, please point me in that direction.

Edited on by AlexSays

AlexSays

AuthorMessage
Avatar

KaiserGX

70. Posted:

... Oh no... when did you come back lol.

Kachou on!

3DS Friend Code: 4296-4029-9396 | Nintendo Network ID: KaiserGX

AuthorMessage
Avatar

AlexSays

71. Posted:

KaiserGX wrote:

... Oh no... when did you come back lol.

SURPRISE

Untitled

: )

AlexSays

AuthorMessage
Avatar

KaiserGX

72. Posted:

You like ponies now?

Kachou on!

3DS Friend Code: 4296-4029-9396 | Nintendo Network ID: KaiserGX

AuthorMessage
Avatar

AlexSays

73. Posted:

Just their cute gifs. lol. I don't know anything about the show.

AlexSays

AuthorMessage
Avatar

KaiserGX

74. Posted:

Untitled

Kachou on!

3DS Friend Code: 4296-4029-9396 | Nintendo Network ID: KaiserGX

AuthorMessage
Avatar

AlexSays

75. Posted:

My favorite:

Untitled

AlexSays

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Spanjard

76. Posted:

AlexSays a lot! :O

Spanjard

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

77. Posted:

@AlexSays
You're not understanding, and we don't even know if next gen multiplats are possible on Wii U. Do you have proof that games like Destiny can't happen? You don't. You also won't have any proof until those games actually come out, or are close to their release dates.

The reason why you have to sacrifice graphics for the likes of the GamePad and free online, is because choosing both would bring about the same exact type of console Xbox One and PS4 are.
Wii U being different is it's biggest strength, regardless of graphic power.
It is more dev friendly, BTW. Indies have more ability of making an impact on Wii U than any other console. For now at least.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

AlexSays

78. Posted:

So multiplats can be developed for the Wii U just as easily and it is very dev friendly, despite almost all major developers claiming they won't consider the Wii U? And the Wii U cannot have stronger hardware, because it would be too similar to the other consoles?

Yes, you're right I do not understand that. You go ahead and think they're bringing Destiny to the Wii U though, and you continue thinking tons of third party support is magically coming to the console. Just don't hold your breath.

AlexSays

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Spanjard

79. Posted:

Scar vs Alex .... FIGHT!!!

Keep up the good work guys, you are entertaining!

Spanjard

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

AuthorMessage
Avatar

AlexSays

80. Posted:

Over 60% of devs say Wii U is hardest to develop for.

Hey look, and those are actual numbers. You should fit those into your arguments sometime.

Longforgotten wrote:

AlexSays a lot! :O

I see you're unfamiliar with my work. lol

Edited on by AlexSays

AlexSays

Sorry, this topic has been locked.