Wii U Forum

Topic: Just got to get something off my chest...

Showing 121 to 140 of 198

AuthorMessage

DefHalan

121. Posted:

@SCAR392

Porting is very different than just changing formats. It requires more programming, design work, art and QA. There is so much that goes into a game and every programmer has their own style of programming which may or may not work on a different console. Porting is difficult and that is why you see so many ports in worst condition than the original.

http://dudehugespeaks.tumblr.com/post/44243746261/nickels-dimes-and-quarters
http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/why-console-specs-dont-matter
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/200271/Video_Don_Daglow_on_nextgen_transition_traps_and_treasures.php

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

AuthorMessage

AlexSays

122. Posted:

SCAR392 wrote:

3rd parties would have to be fools to not invest $1.3 million or whatever to have an instant 4 million+ audience.

And yet how many are in development? None. How many have been announced? None. But I guess they're all secrets, right?

Why didn't the Wii see many ports? Or are you still holding your breath for those too?

AlexSays

AuthorMessage

SCAR392

123. Posted:

AlexSays wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

AlexSays wrote:

For the millionth and oneth time, if it is so easy and cheap, why is everyone not doing it?

3rd parties don't have anything in development besides PS4 and Xbox One games.
All they have to do is make a game for one of those platforms, then port it for Wii U for $1.3 milion.

And your excuse for games like Bioshock Infinite is? Metro Last Light? Why are games releasing in the past six months not being ported?

You realize GTA 5 isn't coming to the new consoles right? They're only releasing it on the PS3 and 360. Why aren't they making a Wii U version if its so easy and cheap?

Also I love how you think every game costs the exact same amount to port.

It could cost less than $1.3 million dollars if 3rd parties know how to play their cards. If they see Wii U being a quick cash machine. They could just create software that converts the games automatically to a Wii U format.
Put in a PS4 disc, get a Wii U disc.
It's like converting a AAC sound format to MP3, almost literally, but in regards to gaming formats.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage

AlexSays

124. Posted:

SCAR392 wrote:

It's like converting a AAC sound format to MP3, almost literally, but in regards to gaming formats.

Omg.. So it costs them a million bucks to swap discs?

Why did they not utilize this great technology and bring a lot of multiplats to the Wii? And why are there so few announced multiplats for the Wii U? Do devs not want us to know about this great insta-porting technology?

Edited on by AlexSays

AlexSays

AuthorMessage

SCAR392

125. Posted:

DefHalan wrote:

@SCAR392

Porting is very different than just changing formats. It requires more programming, design work, art and QA. There is so much that goes into a game and every programmer has their own style of programming which may or may not work on a different console. Porting is difficult and that is why you see so many ports in worst condition than the original.

That's why I'm saying, that if they just find a way to convert a PS4 game into a Wii U game with minimal effort and change to the actual content, the Wii U will be golden.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage

DefHalan

126. Posted:

SCAR392 wrote:

It could cost less than $1.3 million dollars if 3rd parties know how to play their cards. If they see Wii U being a quick cash machine. They could just create software that converts the games automatically to a Wii U format.

No it isn't

SCAR392 wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

@SCAR392

That's why I'm saying, that if they just find a way to convert a PS4 game into a Wii U game with minimal effort and change to the actual content, the Wii U will be golden.

That is going to take time and money to do, it is not as easy as changing formats and to get to a point like that would take too long and cost way too much money to be worth it.

Edited on by DefHalan

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/200271/Video_Don_Daglow_on_nextgen_transition_traps_and_treasures.php

AuthorMessage

AlexSays

127. Posted:

@TBD If you're watching this, I'm going to need you to go away for like five minutes.

I kid I kid (kind of). But really, how many of you guys are watching this and not helping. lol

AlexSays

AuthorMessage

SCAR392

128. Posted:

AlexSays wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

Omg.. So it costs them a million bucks to swap discs?

Why did they not utilize this great technology and bring a lot of multiplats to the Wii? And why are there so few announced multiplats for the Wii U? Do devs not want us to know about this great insta-porting technology?

The Wii U is a more powerful machine than Wii was. It's more flexible in pretty much everyway. Everybody already knows how to make touch screen games these days, thanks to DS and other touch screen devices.
You can't port a game to a system that is still working out kinks. The Wii remote can be fully utilized this gen, compared to how it once was.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

129. Posted:

@AlexSays I'm taking True_Hero's advice and just ignoring SCAR. I've honestly only been reading your posts so far.

Mecha Wolf Prime

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

SCAR392

130. Posted:

DefHalan wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

No it isn't

SCAR392 wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

@SCAR392

That is going to take time and money to do, it is not as easy as changing formats and to get to a point like that would take too long and cost way too much money to be worth it.

Those were mainly examples. My point was that it's not hard to port a game that has already been made for a fraction of what it costs to make first off.
I don't care how they do it, but I'm sure they'll find the easiest route to do so.

Edited on by SCAR392

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage

DefHalan

131. Posted:

CanisWolfred wrote:

@AlexSays I'm taking True_Hero's advice and just ignoring SCAR. I've honestly only been reading your posts so far.

This might be the best way to go, I feel like I have had this argument with SCAR before, about porting games.

AuthorMessage

AlexSays

132. Posted:

SCAR392 wrote:

The Wii U is a more powerful machine than Wii was. It's more flexible in pretty much everyway. Everybody already knows how to make touch screen games these days, thanks to DS and other touch screen devices.
You can't port a game to a system that is still working out kinks. The Wii remote can be fully utilized this gen, compared to how it once was.

Yes, because every dev regularly works with the DS and touch screen devices..

You keep waiting for that day when all third parties come out and throw their support behind the Wii U. Until then, I'm sticking with what we know, and that is that there is very little outside support for the console. Which is the general consensus among the people that are on and run this site and pretty much everyone else besides you.

CanisWolfred wrote:

Well thank you, at least someone is appreciating them.. lol

Edited on by AlexSays

AlexSays

AuthorMessage

pixelman

133. Posted:

SCAR392 wrote:

AlexSays wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

AlexSays wrote:

For the millionth and oneth time, if it is so easy and cheap, why is everyone not doing it?

3rd parties don't have anything in development besides PS4 and Xbox One games.
All they have to do is make a game for one of those platforms, then port it for Wii U for $1.3 milion.

And your excuse for games like Bioshock Infinite is? Metro Last Light? Why are games releasing in the past six months not being ported?

You realize GTA 5 isn't coming to the new consoles right? They're only releasing it on the PS3 and 360. Why aren't they making a Wii U version if its so easy and cheap?

Also I love how you think every game costs the exact same amount to port.

Untitled

Sorry, I just lost it there.

I'm just going to say this: the people with zillions of years in the industry probably have a better idea of what risks to take and what problems they're having. If ports aren't happening then they clearly don't think it's worth it. They're in the business to make money, and if they had some kind of magical formula to make money easy then you can be dang sure they'd be using it. You don't know all of the underlying/hidden costs or problems behind it, and it's ridiculous to assume that every port would equate to $1.3 million and something like 25% of overall sales. But they are privileged with that info, and if they take a loss gambling on a struggling new console, then they're the ones that lose.

I sure as hell don't blame anyone for not developing for Wii U right now. It's insanely risky. Until the install base starts taking off, expectations for games from anyone other than Nintendo should be kept extremely low.

Edited on by pixelman

I made Kid Tripp! PocketGamer gave it a 9 out of 10! You should totally buy it now!
[16:39] BadKitty: you trying to steal stuff from me? u_u
[16:41] kribs: don't worry Emmy, even if poix tried to steal something from you, he wouldn't finish stealing it

3DS Friend Code: 1123-6536-5321 | Nintendo Network ID: pixelpowa | Twitter: thatpixelguy

AuthorMessage

SCAR392

134. Posted:

Alright, whatever.
Go about your Wii U is doomed discussion as usual. I see it differently, and that's enough to be proven wrong, apparently.
BTW I didn't say $1.3 regardless of the game. I gave a real source based from Ubisofts experience.

Does it really matter how much it costs for a port to be made or how it's done? All I'm seeing is UNDER $2,000,000 dollars to port a $25,000,000 game.

It's ok, just forget about it.

Edited on by SCAR392

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage

AlexSays

135. Posted:

SCAR392 wrote:

Alright, whatever.
Go about your Wii U is doomed discussion as usual. I see it differently, and that's enough to be proven wrong, apparently.
BTW I didn't say $1.3 regardless of the game. I gave a real source based from Ubisofts experience.

Nobody has said Nintendo is doomed. You're the one that said a company was doomed, yet you provided no evidence as to why Sony was destined to fail.

And you didn't say that now? Did you miss this?

SCAR392 wrote:

Your all in one number right there. All third parties have to do is port it over for $1.3 million, the magic number.

AlexSays

AuthorMessage

AlexSays

136. Posted:

SCAR392 wrote:

Does it really matter how much it costs for a port to be made or how it's done? All I'm seeing is UNDER $2,000,000 dollars for a $25,000,000.

No not at all.

Devs usually don't consider the price in investments before making them. I do the same thing, I toss money at the stock market every week and hope for the best.

AlexSays

AuthorMessage

SCAR392

137. Posted:

AlexSays wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

Alright, whatever.

Nobody has said Nintendo is doomed. You're the one that said a company was doomed, yet you provided no evidence as to why Sony was destined to fail.

And you didn't say that now? Did you miss this?

SCAR392 wrote:

Your all in one number right there. All third parties have to do is port it over for $1.3 million, the magic number.

Nintendo not having a powerful enough console spells doom to alot of people, but it's not true. I was arguing that stance.
I did have proof Sony can't continue down the path they have for many years. Their change of direction WILL effect how they handle their PS brand.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage

theblackdragon

138. Posted:

AlexSays wrote:

@TBD If you're watching this, I'm going to need you to go away for like five minutes.

I kid I kid (kind of). But really, how many of you guys are watching this and not helping. lol

we've had him here for months now, so we're used to his antics. in all seriousness, you're not going to change his mind. it's easier to ignore him entirely. at this point the only people who really dig in and go after him are newbies who don't know any better. :3
i hate to say it, but i think the ones 'watching this and not helping' are more watching you and wondering when you'll give up like the rest of us haha :3

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!
[16:44] Vintage: We have rules?
[16:44] Reala: don't expose the staff to sunlight, don't get them wet and don't feed them after midnight

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter: theblackdragon

AuthorMessage

AlexSays

139. Posted:

SCAR392 wrote:

Nintendo not having a powerful enough console spells doom to alot of people, but it's not true. I was arguing that stance.

No you weren't. You were directly talking about me.

SCAR392 wrote:

Alright, whatever.
Go about your Wii U is doomed discussion as usual.

Ok, so that's settled. Next:

I did have proof Sony can't continue down the path they have for many years. Their change of direction WILL effect how they handle their PS brand.

Your 'proof' was a link from 2009 saying that Sony wishes it had more profits. You then admitted the PS brand has been profitable up to this point. Where in there is proof that Sony will undoubtedly collapse in on itself and fail?

Edited on by AlexSays

AlexSays

AuthorMessage

k8sMum

140. Posted:

i was busy making popcorn to hand out. :D

'Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt' Tolkien
'God is a kid with an antfarm.' "Constantine"
3ds friend code: 0860 3849 6133
Caitlin's Memorial Site

Sorry, this topic has been locked.