Forums

Topic: Iwata Says “Wii U Is Not Over Yet” More Unannounced Titles To Be Announced

Posts 121 to 134 of 134

CapeSmash

Haru17 wrote:

Heck, even the well-reviewed Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon fell flat for me, and I loved the gamecube original.

I'm very confused to why people don't like Dark Moon. Everything about that game was phenomenal, and the only real major "downside" to it was it lacked the creepy atmosphere of the original, but it wasn't going for that. So why dislike it for something it's not? I don't know why if it's because people have nostalgia goggles on or what, but it's annoying. And this is coming from someone who played (and still plays) the original extremely religiously (and the biggest reason why I love that game is the atmosphere). I view Dark Moon as its own thing, and don't heavily compare it to the original. Dark Moon wanted to do something very different, and it works really welll. So, is there any major vaild criticism to the game that doesn't involve the atmosphere?

Smash Mains:
N64: Captain Falcon
Melee: Mario
Brawl: Sonic
Project M: Link
Smash 3DS: Captain Falcon
Smash Wii U: Ganondorf

TeeJay

Dark Moon was phenominal but entirely too short. You'd think they would have worked harder to fix that problem after the original.

If you add me, I need to at least know you or I won't add you back.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5283-4033-0929 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-1923-3519 | Nintendo Network ID: TeeJay92

kkslider5552000

TeeJay wrote:

Dark Moon was phenominal but entirely too short.

False. If anything, it was getting close to feeling too long towards the end. Especially with it already having a multiplayer mode for replayability anyway.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Blast

Haru17 wrote:

Blast wrote:

@Bolt_Strike is actually a cool person. He just has different views on stuff and that's fine. I still respect his opinion. Didn't he say he doesn't consider Super Mario 3D World innovative? That's fine with me. Doesn't bother me. I really enjoyed that game.

Not only that, but his original contention also stated that Nintendo had just been milking their IPs for a decade, a ridiculous statement. Since bolt strike exists on this forum mainly in the form of his/her strong opinions, and I strongly disagree with those opinions, you can probably deduce what I think of bolt strike.

Anyway, I've personally been disappointed with Nintendo from about late 2009 to now. That's the result of them not releasing many story driven games, and of those they did release Skyward Sword was somewhat lackluster, Fire Emblem bored me, and Xenoblade gave me no enjoyment whatsoever. Heck, even the well-reviewed Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon fell flat for me, and I loved the gamecube original. I've never really bought into all of the platformers outside of 3D Mario games, as I'm more of a solo story-focused gamer, so Mario Kart and Smash Bros felt soulless to me as well, and the Wii U hasn't been very attractive until games like Bayonetta came out.

One of the few late wii era games I loved was Monster Hunter Tri, so Monster Hunter 4 will likely be my favorite game in the 3DS, but even that's not a Nintendo-developed game. Man, this year's Zelda better be great.

I guess I'm just missing the gamecube and early wii era, which contained Pikmin 1 & 2, The Wind Waker, Luigi's Mansion, Paper Mario TTYD, Metroid Prime, Echoes, Twilight Princess, Corruption, Super Paper Mario, and the first time I played Okami; the majority of those rank in my favorite 20 games ever. I don't mean to distort logic with nostalgia, but it just seemed that those Nintendo games had a lot more frequency and higher peaks of greatness than the current, still good, crop.

Hmmm....wow. Well, wanting more high quality from Nintendo is totally fine. Every now and then Nintendo drops a story driven game but that's the kinda stuff Sony focuses on so much.

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

VanillaLake

There is a game co-developed and published by Nintendo. It's awesome and it uses the GamePad in a clever way, just what Nintendo tries to sell when talking about Wii. It's a game that even could improve Wii U's reputation. And that game is already developed. Only thing is that Nintendo just don't want to let Wii U players play that great game that Nintendo co-developed and that they have already published in Japan. That game name is Zero/Fatal Frame 5.

I really don't like the navigation bar of Nintendo Life continuously reappearing while browsing!!

3DS Friend Code: 2836-0258-0952 | Nintendo Network ID: NNID-Fer

dumedum

CaviarMeths wrote:

Not surprising. For all of its failings, the Wii U is actually performing quite well in one area. People who have one buy a lot of games. The tie ratio is fantastic for a console this age. Mario Kart 8 has sold to about 1 in every 2 Wii U owners, millions of copies. The Wii U won't sell as well as the Gamecube, but pretty much every franchise game will outsell its Gamecube counterpart. Mario Kart 8 will outsell Double Dash, both NSMBU and SM3DW will outsell Sunshine, Zelda U will most likely outsell Wind Waker, so on and so forth. Smash 4 even has a pretty good chance of outselling Melee, even with the 3DS version cutting into sales.

You don't just dump hardware that sells software so well. Nintendo is in the black right now, has been for the last two quarters. They can afford to just ride out the rest of this generation and build up their capital with software sales. They have no need at all to release a new machine in 2016.

This is the best post in this entire thread.

"Dubs Goes to Washington: The Video Game".

Nintendo Network ID: Del_Piero_Mamba

dumedum

kkslider5552000 wrote:

TeeJay wrote:

Dark Moon was phenominal but entirely too short.

False. If anything, it was getting close to feeling too long towards the end. Especially with it already having a multiplayer mode for replayability anyway.

I still haven't finished it (last level). I'm with you on the "too long". It's definitely not a short game.

"Dubs Goes to Washington: The Video Game".

Nintendo Network ID: Del_Piero_Mamba

rallydefault

@Haru17

My comment was entirely not aimed at you; I actually find myself agreeing with most of what you are saying. This road of defining "innovation" that many people area going down is quite self-defeating. Everyone is so jaded these days. It's cool to hate and criticize everything, and so it seems nearly impossible to sate many people's appetites when it comes to subjective terms like "innovation."

My challenge was moreso for someone like @Bolt_Strike but, funny enough, he and other posters like him seem to be shying away from it.

Sometimes silence speaks volumes.

rallydefault

crimsoncavalier

rallydefault wrote:

@Haru17

My comment was entirely not aimed at you; I actually find myself agreeing with most of what you are saying. This road of defining "innovation" that many people area going down is quite self-defeating. Everyone is so jaded these days. It's cool to hate and criticize everything, and so it seems nearly impossible to sate many people's appetites when it comes to subjective terms like "innovation."

My challenge was moreso for someone like @Bolt_Strike but, funny enough, he and other posters like him seem to be shying away from it.

Sometimes silence speaks volumes.

Well I hope you weren't talking about me!

The thing about innovation is that it's great when it works. But to innovate for innovation's sake is the wrong approach. Like I told Bolt_Strike, there are plenty of great games out there right now that aren't innovative. And in fact, game sales tell us that gamers don't necessarily want innovation. Look at the best selling franchise of all time and tell me innovation is necessary.

It's ok to change the gameplay a little for each iteration of a game, like say how Mario Kart 8 did. They're not blatant changes to the franchise gameplay mechanics; they're subtle. And they work.

I'm not in disagreement with him/her that there isn't that much innovation anymore. I think there is not that much innovation in gaming today, from Nintendo or anyone else. What I do disagree with him/her is that it's bad.

crimsoncavalier

Nintendo Network ID: CrimsonCavalier

CanisWolfred

@Bolt_Strike - No, a good hook is all for naught without good excecution. A hook is still important, but no hook is good enough on its own. A well-honed idea will stand the test of time, while a diamond in the rough will only grow worse with age.

And for a platformer at least, "the feel", which I understand I didn't exactly explain well before but I meant more the flow of gameplay, how the controls and indeed how you interact with the game, is a big part of the fun. And again, the smallest things can affect those things in a big way. Some things may not seem game changing at first, but they can be if they're used well.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Bolt_Strike

crimsoncavalier wrote:

It's ok to change the gameplay a little for each iteration of a game, like say how Mario Kart 8 did. They're not blatant changes to the franchise gameplay mechanics; they're subtle. And they work.

Mario Kart 8 is not subtle, the antigravity and spin boosting are pretty significant changes to the formula. And I'm fine with what Mario Kart 8 did. It's games like NSMB, 3D World, and Tropical Freeze that need to do more.

CanisWolfred wrote:

@Bolt_Strike - No, a good hook is all for naught without good excecution. A hook is still important, but no hook is good enough on its own. A well-honed idea will stand the test of time, while a diamond in the rough will only grow worse with age.

You need them both, but the execution doesn't stand out as much and draw people into the game.

CanisWolfred wrote:

And for a platformer at least, "the feel", which I understand I didn't exactly explain well before but I meant more the flow of gameplay, how the controls and indeed how you interact with the game, is a big part of the fun. And again, the smallest things can affect those things in a big way. Some things may not seem game changing at first, but they can be if they're used well.

No, they don't. Feel isn't distinctive, it affects little more than challenge. Gameplay mechanics are far more defining and therefore more important.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

DefHalan

Bolt_Strike wrote:

crimsoncavalier wrote:

Mario Kart 8 is not subtle, the antigravity and spin boosting are pretty significant changes to the formula. And I'm fine with what Mario Kart 8 did. It's games like NSMB, 3D World, and Tropical Freeze that need to do more.

Mario Kart 8 is not a direct sequel to Mario Kart 7 like NSMB U, 3D World, and Trpoical Freeze are direct sequels. These games offer new and more gameplay of what was already enjoyed in the games before it. That is the point of a sequel. Claiming every game, including sequels, need to play completely different and be innovative is crazy.

Bolt_Strike wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

You need them both, but the execution doesn't stand out as much and draw people into the game.

You need a hook for marketing and execution for the game. Wii had a great hook and Wii Sports was its execution. Innovation doesn't always mean you will succeed at getting both a hook and execution but execution is what stands the test of time. The hook normally isn't enough to keep people playing for years.

Bolt_Strike wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

No, they don't. Feel isn't distinctive, it affects little more than challenge. Gameplay mechanics are far more defining and therefore more important.

Gameplay mechanics create the feel of the game. You cannot just plug in certain mechanics to make a good game, they need to mesh well together to create the feel of the game. No amount of innovative mechanics can make a game good if the feel of the game is terrible.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

unrandomsam

You cannot win with 3D Platformers because either people cannot be bothered learning the mechanics properly (like Sonic Lost World).

Or too much of the game is wasted and the interesting techniques are not necessary throughout the game. (If the long jump / backflip / spin jump etc were needed throughout 3D World it would be better).

Fun comes from maximum speed and it working out perfect.

“30fps Is Not a Good Artistic Decision, It's a Failure”
Freedom of the press is for those who happen to own one.

Bolt_Strike

DefHalan wrote:

Mario Kart 8 is not a direct sequel to Mario Kart 7 like NSMB U, 3D World, and Trpoical Freeze are direct sequels. These games offer new and more gameplay of what was already enjoyed in the games before it.

I don't see the difference. The only thing that MK8 does differently is actually adds something new.

DefHalan wrote:

That is the point of a sequel. Claiming every game, including sequels, need to play completely different and be innovative is crazy.

No, the point of a sequel is to expand upon the original. And there are sequels that actually add new things to the formula.

DefHalan wrote:

You need a hook for marketing and execution for the game. Wii had a great hook and Wii Sports was its execution. Innovation doesn't always mean you will succeed at getting both a hook and execution but execution is what stands the test of time. The hook normally isn't enough to keep people playing for years.

But without the hook, people have no reason to buy the game in the first place. It creates a "played one, played them all" experience that turns them off to future games.

DefHalan wrote:

Gameplay mechanics create the feel of the game. You cannot just plug in certain mechanics to make a good game, they need to mesh well together to create the feel of the game. No amount of innovative mechanics can make a game good if the feel of the game is terrible.

Feel by itself isn't going to draw people's attention though, they only pay attention if it interferes with the experience in some way.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.