Forums

Topic: Is Zelda's delay the writing on the wall for the Wii U?

Posts 181 to 200 of 254

Neuromincer

Ninty are delusion-ally banking on the fact that there'll just be never ending reserves of 90s type kids to nag their parents at Christmas time into buying their next home console. They are living in a time warp.

kids these days are quite clearly very different to kids of my era. 10 year old boys these days with an interest in video games wouldn't be caught dead playing on a Nintendo device.. It's sad, but hey, Sega actually started it way back in the day when they sold themselves as the mature, cool kids console. Sony and Microsoft have basically taken up Sega's mantle, and done a far better job. I go into a department store, and there are plenty of kids interested in the tablets on display, the Ps4's and XBox's, but none of them go near the wii u.

I mean, the way Iwata talks in investor meetings, about exploring new ways "parents can enjoy games with children"...shows just how out of touch he is with how the world has changed since the 90's, and who their real audience actually is. It isn't kids, obviously...It certainly isn't parents.

As much as I love Nintendo, they live in a cocoon. That has both proved to be their biggest strength and also their biggest weakness over the years. Their games have little currency amongst today's youth (apart from Pokemon obviously). We live in a world where 5 year olds own smartphones and take math lessons after school, right? Childhood is a quaint relic of the past.

As far as i'm concerned, Nintendo haven't been beaten by superior opponents wielding better tech and games...they've been undone by the increasing debasement and contraction of childhood...

Edited on by Neuromincer

Neuromincer

UGXwolf

Grumblevolcano wrote:

@UGXwolf I always found Dixie Kong most useful though I guess that's more of a playstyle choice. I still have a significant number of stages to get all the puzzle pieces and beat on hard mode so my journey to Tropical Freeze completion is far from over.

As for the whole stagnant debate. FPS is way more stagnant than platformers because of the hugely popular yearly franchises CoD, Battlefield and Halo. None of them are really doing anything new whereas games like Tropical Freeze have added new game mechanics via adding new playable characters and then of course there's the return of collectathon platformers with stuff such as Project Ukulele.

Of course Nintendo is trying to liven up the shooter genre by creating Splatoon and we'll (hopefully) see in 2 months (provided it's not delayed) how well that does.

It's less about playstyle and more about level of play. If you're just trying to get to the end, Dixie will save your tukiss more than any other Kong, but when you're trying to speedrun, which the game heavily encourages, well... to quote the runners at AGDQ "This used to be a Dixie level. Now it's a Cranky level."

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

JLPick

The new Zelda game will be out on Wii U...the NX is still in development and has a year or so before it is even released, which means we could see that zelda title come out for the NX with updated graphics, but it will be out on Wii U first. I do agree with you that nintendo will be working hard on getting games ready for the launch of the NX, and since their development teams will be working on games for Wii U, 3DS, NX and Mobile, they'll have their hands filled...hopefully this is not going to cause a major delay and drought for the games on the systems, but it kinda does look like they're trying to silence the Wii U. I also think they're trying to get a big enough hype ready for the NX system...getting people wanting it and knowing about it so that the system actually sells better than the Wii U. By the time the NX is soon to come out, the Wii U will be 5 years old. If you remember, the final year of all of their systems do not get a lot of big N games, as they use that year to develop for the next system, so count this year and the following as the last true-games that you will see for the Wii U. Other than that, the 3DS is almost at it's end too, so hopefully the NX will be a very powerful system with both combined to where they don't have to split teams.

JLPick

Neuromincer

UGXwolf wrote:

Neuromincer wrote:

Childhood is a quaint relic of the past.

This is the most depressingly true thing I've heard all year.

It doesn't have to be . I do think Nintendo will be fine tho. I think they're starting to wisen up, and diversify their business. They make great games. As long as they make great games, there will always be a loyal, passionate audience. As long as that audience is there, then they have good reason to keep making the games! They have a solid foundation to rebuild from...

Edited on by Neuromincer

Neuromincer

UGXwolf

Neuromincer wrote:

UGXwolf wrote:

Neuromincer wrote:

Childhood is a quaint relic of the past.

This is the most depressingly true thing I've heard all year.

It doesn't have to be . I do think Nintendo will be fine tho. I think they're starting to wisen up, and diversify their business. They make great games. As long as they make great games, there will always be a loyal, passionate audience. As long as that audience is there, then they have good reason to keep making the games! They have a solid foundation to rebuild from...

Oh, I'm not worried about Nintendo, but I've been noticing this since High School. Little girls in Kindergarten or maybe even younger who already have their ears pierced. It's like modern parents don't want their children to enjoy themselves, anymore. I'm glad my parents weren't ever that way with me.

vitalemrecords

The Zelda delay is only an issue with children. A year is a long time for a kid. But to an adult - it is like "Wait, I'm paying my electric bill - oh next year? Yeah whatever I have other things to do anyway." But for a kid or some mouthbreather in their parent's basement, a year can be a long time. No big deal.

vitalemrecords

UGXwolf

vitalemrecords wrote:

The Zelda delay is only an issue with children. A year is a long time for a kid. But to an adult - it is like "Wait, I'm paying my electric bill - oh next year? Yeah whatever I have other things to do anyway." But for a kid or some mouthbreather in their parent's basement, a year can be a long time. No big deal.

There are so many things wrong with this, I don't know where to start... but I guess starting with the technical reason doesn't hurt. Why are you specifying one year? We know nothing about Zelda U's release date. Arguably, it could be five years from now.

On top of that, I have a very busy schedule during the school year. Class in the morning and afternoon. Work in the evening. I barely have time to sleep at some points, but having to wait an extra year would actually piss me off quite a bit, yeah. (I'm in college, by the way, in case you're about to try throwing some silly high schooler insult at me. I take classes during the Summer, but I work on campus, so my Summer's are still WAY more lax than the school year.)

Third, where do you get this idea that adults are so boring that they wouldn't be disappointed by waiting an extra year because they were paying the electric bill when they got the news? I'm inclined to think you are not quite so grown up, yourself.

Edited on by UGXwolf

LzWinky

I think it's clear this argument is going nowhere. Bolt_Strike, while you may continue to hold an opinion against platformers, be aware that what you speak is opinion, not fact. There are so many different platformers that it is difficult to group them all and call them stagnant.

Do not speak for the rest of us as we may like platformers more than you. I can argue that RPGs and adventure games have gotten stale lately, but I won't.

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

martinskrtel37

Let's not poke the fire too much -Lz

Edited on by LzWinky

Octane wrote:

everyone needs to relax and enjoy the games that are released today and stop worrying what Nintendo will do in a year or two from now.

3DS Friend Code: 0130-1906-5039 | Nintendo Network ID: martinskrtel37

crimsoncavalier

I said this in another thread, but to say that FPSs and RPGs are being innovative while platformers aren't is one of the dumbest things I've read on these boards.

Games are, as a whole, getting more and more stale and less and less innovative ALL THE TIME. And it's getting worse with each new console generation.

Additionally, I wonder why people are saying Retro won't work on another Metroid game because they don't want to ... ummm, unless I'm mistaken, they work for Nintendo, so if Nintendo says "Make another Metroid game" ... they will make another Metroid game, right? If Nintendo is giving them a choice, that's fine, but do they really have absolute freedom to make whatever game they want?

As a complete side note, I haven't played Other M, but I want to, and one day I'll get it. I heard it's actually good, even though Samus is less BA than in Prime.

crimsoncavalier

Nintendo Network ID: CrimsonCavalier

unrandomsam

crimsoncavalier wrote:

Additionally, I wonder why people are saying Retro won't work on another Metroid game because they don't want to ... ummm, unless I'm mistaken, they work for Nintendo, so if Nintendo says "Make another Metroid game" ... they will make another Metroid game, right? If Nintendo is giving them a choice, that's fine, but do they really have absolute freedom to make whatever game they want?

The point is not that but that the people who did it last time have left. (In which case it might as well be anybody there is no advantage to it being Retro).

“30fps Is Not a Good Artistic Decision, It's a Failure”
Freedom of the press is for those who happen to own one.

UGXwolf

crimsoncavalier wrote:

I said this in another thread, but to say that FPSs and RPGs are being innovative while platformers aren't is one of the dumbest things I've read on these boards.

Games are, as a whole, getting more and more stale and less and less innovative ALL THE TIME. And it's getting worse with each new console generation.

As a complete side note, I haven't played Other M, but I want to, and one day I'll get it. I heard it's actually good, even though Samus is less BA than in Prime.

It is true that if Nintendo were to limit them to Metroid, they wouldn't have much choice, but Nintendo doesn't really do that kind of thing, because they know devs typically hate when that happens.

crimsoncavalier

UGXwolf wrote:

It is true that if Nintendo were to limit them to Metroid, they wouldn't have much choice, but Nintendo doesn't really do that kind of thing, because they know devs typically hate when that happens.

unrandomsam wrote:

The point is not that but that the people who did it last time have left. (In which case it might as well be anybody there is no advantage to it being Retro).

I get that, I'm just saying ... if Nintendo wanted another Metroid game by Retro, they would have done it already.

I agree that there are plenty of other people who could make another Metroid game, and I've no doubt that it's being worked on. I really think we'll hear some Metroid information either tomorrow or at E3.

crimsoncavalier

Haru17

Nicolai wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

Nicolai wrote:

And I fail to see how anything having to do with shooting liquid on surfaces is automatically too similar to Super Mario Sunshine, even if it is different in just about every other way.

Well, for one, one of the Sunshine designers is co-heading the Splatoon development sooo... That's how.

Okay... what's your point? Isn't the game still different in every other way?

My point is that Nintendo reused the goo idea and/or code from Sunshine and now there's Splatoon. The inspiration is plain to see.

Edited on by Haru17

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

LzWinky

Similar to Sunshine? Possible.

Inspired by Sunshine? Very possible.

Too similar? How can you say this when we've only seen snippets of the game so far? Also, I highly doubt they reused the code from a Gamecube game.

Edited on by LzWinky

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Azooooz

I can't see why this delay is the "final nail in the coffin". We have seen some examples of how delayed games became great games. People who would only rush to conclusions would presume that the delay killed the console.

Making promise is easy. The hard part is keeping it.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3533-1743-6611 | 3DS Friend Code: 5069-3944-7877 | My Nintendo: azooooz | Nintendo Network ID: desert_king_Q8

LzWinky

Azooooz wrote:

I can't see why this delay is the "final nail in the coffin". We have seen some examples of how delayed games became great games. People who would only rush to conclusions would presume that the delay killed the console.

Conversely, Zelda wouldn't have "saved" the Wii U either, so this delay doesn't really impact the Wii U in the long run anyway

crimsoncavalier

TingLz wrote:

Azooooz wrote:

Conversely, Zelda wouldn't have "saved" the Wii U either, so this delay doesn't really impact the Wii U in the long run anyway

We've also seen games that were rushed out the door, and were incomplete, only to be completed via "DLC" ... and like I said, NO ONE wants that from a Zelda game.

crimsoncavalier

LzWinky

Which is probably why the delay is a good decision. But on the other hand too much can also be bad. I just hope that Aonuma doesn't disregard his overall goals in order to overstuff the game

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.