Wii U Forum

Topic: Is this bad news for the Wii U?

Showing 241 to 260 of 268

AuthorMessage
Avatar

rallydefault

241. Posted:

@Sony_70
You make a lot of good points. I had a 360 at launch (braved many a cold, early morning in front of Target to finally get one), and I did buy and play a bunch of those launch games you listed like Perfect Dark, Kameo, Gotham Racing 3, and Quake 4. It may be an honest case of nostalgia, rose-colored glasses and all that... but most of those games sucked, man. Perfect Dark was a poorly programmed and poorly realized game that didn't hold a candle to its pedigree, let alone a FPS game of any sort. Quake 4 was a complete mess, if you remember- frame rate and graphical issues to the point of constant frustration. Kameo was Rare's next attempt at a collect-a-thon, and the game was "aight" as far as something to play went, but for me there was no magic to it and no motivation to replay (I did beat the whole thing). Kameo also started with the dreaded paid DLC model. Gotham was pretty good, I'll give you that. King Kong... dear god, does anybody remember that King Kong game? I won't say much there- I think anybody being honest with themselves realized how poorly done that game was.

Skywake posted a list of review scores and, as he said, it really does speak for itself. The Wii U has had an AMAZING launch with high-quality titles, regardless of said titles being releases other consoles have seen. Even if you have already played Batman, COD, Mass Effect, Darksiders, etc., which have ALL received good review scores and are acknowledged as being good games, there are STILL high-quality games such as NSMBU, Scribblenauts Unlmited, ZombiU, Mighty Switch Force, Nano Assault (it is short, but nobody held that against Geometry Wars all those years ago- don't start now!), and Nintendoland.

The Wii U's launch game quality blows other console launch lists out of the water. If you can't find enough to tide you over from November to February, four months, on even just the first-party games listed above, I don't know what to tell you. It is so frustrating to look at some of these sensationlist headlines being posted on gaming websites and forums about the Wii U's launch failure and the "dry spell"- how soon we forget previous console launches, and how quick the populace seems to curse Nintendo is truly disturbing.

rallydefault

AuthorMessage
Avatar

shingi_70

242. Posted:

Hokori wrote:

@Fox yep but those wernt exclusive to 360 they did have a MH game but it didn't do so well

Out of the list the only one that wasn't exclusive I think was Tales of Vesperia.

Really wish Cap com would have brought the monster Hunter MMO here.

But yeah Microsoft has been spending since 2011 restructuring their development studios. I think they need to wither add some Japanese studios in their Arsenal because there is just a certain flair those games have.

Their last few Japanese collaborations have resulted in some of my favorite games.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage
Avatar

shingi_70

243. Posted:

@Rally default

Kameo and Perfect Dark Zero still hold up well today. At least kameo does IMO. But they were good games despite being rushed,

Wasn't kind Kong the game without the HUD?

I agree on all counts. The biggest reason why its getting blown put of proportion is because the Wii had a lot of software droughts when the other systems didn't. While having a lull is pretty common for the predicament the system is in it brings up bad feelings from the Wii days.

We will know in a few months when we learn the launch line ups for Durangp and Orbis.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kkslider5552000

244. Posted:

Sony_70 wrote:

Gun
Call of Duty 2
Fifa O6
Madden O6
NBA Live 06
NBA 2K6
Need for speed most wanted
King Kong the game
Quake 4
Ridge Racer 6
Tiger Woods 06
Tony Hawk American Wasteland
Geometry Wars Retro Evolved

That list is actually pretty laughable to me. I mean, if Wii U doesn't have more than a couple of interesting ports of 2013 games IN 2013 than it still wins but that's a joke. But again, as I've said many times before, HD gaming before and after 2008 is like day and night. I didn't like HD gaming much before 2008 (and even in 2008 when I started playing my new 360 I got in Christmas in 2007, outside of Oblivion (which in retrospect I only thought was amazing because I had not played another game like it more than quality) most of my time was with the few Xbox games I owned like Crimson Skies and Ninja Gaiden and GTA San Andreas). By the end of 2009, I thought HD gaming was pretty awesome. Day and night. Not just because of XBLA because I still don't use it too much (to my eternal regret).

Edited on by kkslider5552000

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

Cool link for cool people: http://forums.dctp.ws/

AuthorMessage
Avatar

rallydefault

245. Posted:

@Sony_70
I can agree with you maybe on Kameo, but not Perfect Dark. Yea, King Kong didn't have the HUD. My best friend in college bought it first thing when it came out, and I remember many days sitting in that dorm room, trying to enjoy that game. I don't think it received any critical praise, either, unless my memory is wrong on that one.

As for the Wii drought bringing back bad memories, I guess that's the part of the conversation where I can't really participate. I didn't even own a Wii last generation, and in fact I spent a good deal of my time being angry at Nintendo for going that route with the motion controls and all that. I only became interested in the Wii U when I saw the gamepad, did some reading, and liked the direction Nintendo seems to be going. Coming back with more of a "classic" controller in the form of the gamepad, while still keeping some motion controls (gyroscope, sensor bar is still there, etc.) appeals to me. It's the nod I needed from Nintendo that they meant business about getting back their core gamers that may have skipped out on the Wii because of its reputation for shovelware and gimicky motion games (I know ALL the games weren't like that, don't worry).

Edit: spelling

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kkslider5552000

246. Posted:

I had the GCN version of King Kong, it was actually a pretty cool game. Also, the entire reason it was made is that Peter Jackson was impressed with Ancel's previous work, Beyond Good and Evil, which officially makes Peter Jackson awesome for all eternity as far as I'm concerned.

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

Cool link for cool people: http://forums.dctp.ws/

AuthorMessage
Avatar

dethinc

247. Posted:

SCAR392 wrote:

dethinc wrote:

I don't know about everyone else but I am disappointed with the system so far and how it performs. We bought a deluxe edition and it is slower than my dual core Motorola phone that I play quake 3 on. My kids are the ones that the system was for and even they are disappointed with it. All the DLC for the games that have not come through yet but was promised in December. All the features that the system was supposed to have and that are lacking. This system was way over hyped. After reading the first few posts I am starting to think I should have waited for the new Microsoft system. And there is really not many games for the. At least there was a vast supply of games for the XBOX.
WII U. I hate to say the WII was a better system, maybe not the greatest graphics. Even my younger son wants to sell this thing and save for a new Microsoft system. He loves playing the Mario games but he does see what he is missing out on with the other systems on the market. So maybe soon we will have a WII U Deluxe for sale here.

Are you kidding me... Wii U wasn't hyped at all, if anything, people were doubting it since it was announced. The next PS/Xbox are 1-2 years off, and this is the best system you can get as of now. Just because Nintendo ditched sound programs like Dolby, DTS, and a more 'versatile' online, doesn't make it worse than anything. I agree, Xbox 360 and PS3 have tons of extras that make Wii U seem like alot less(not for me, but to you apparently), but it IS the best console in terms of potential, and kicks the other consoles' rears with the games it does have from those consoles(COD BO2, Darksiders 2, Batman AC, AC3, Tekken). We're waiting for the other consoles too you know, but if you as an individual feel the need to sell your console because your so disappointed, go ahead. I bet you'll be buying another one in a few months if you do sell it, so just a heads up.

It was hyped and no if we sell it i think i would get the kids a microsoft system when it comes out, right now they are playing just dance 4 the DLC was promised in December but nothing even the WII has the DLC for this game. So yes I think it is a train wreck right now. The only reason I did not get them a xbox is it being an aging system and due for the new one soon. I do not play consoles at all I have multiple PC gaming systems so do my kids so no big deal here just wasted some cash and learned a lesson. And I have seen a few people on here talking about mainstream next gen games, Do you think you will see GTA5 on this system in the future, I know Sony and Microsoft will have it but Nintendo wont, just an example. The new colonel marines will be out soon but I'm afraid to get it for this system, may just get 3 copies for PC. You know something I am picky after playing PC for all these years but my kids are little and do not know better and they are still noticing these issues so i know its not just me. I'm not here to complain but voice my opinion and I want Nintendo to hear it and know how many people are disappointed.

Edited on by dethinc

dethinc

AuthorMessage
Avatar

rallydefault

248. Posted:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

I had the GCN version of King Kong, it was actually a pretty cool game. Also, the entire reason it was made is that Peter Jackson was impressed with Ancel's previous work, Beyond Good and Evil, which officially makes Peter Jackson awesome for all eternity as far as I'm concerned.

I stand corrected- it seems it received an 8.0 from IGN in 2005. Not too shabby!

rallydefault

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

249. Posted:

Sony_70 wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

WHY DID I GET A 360 INSTEAD?!

...it was a reasonable idea in 2007...

oh well, back to XBLA.

I cannot emphasize enough how pointless Xbox has become with PS3 around. No wonder Microsoft is so focused on its non-gaming features, my god...

Dust: An Elysian Tail aside, I think even XBLA is becoming increasingly irrelevant. Most of the exclusives were terrible last year, and the year before wasn't much better.

Wut

Alan Wake's American Nightmare
Bloodforge
Deadlight
Diabolical Pitch
Dungeon Fighter Live
Dust: An Elysian Tail
Fable Heroes
Fez
Fire Pro Wrestling
Happy Action Theater
Happy Wars
Haunt
Homerun Stars
Joy Ride Turbo
Kinect Party
Mark of the Ninja
Minecraft
Red Bull Crashed Ice
South Park: Tenorman's Revenge
Spelunky
The Splatters
Trials Evolution
Wreckateer

I thought Alan Wake was 2011, though I somehow forgot about Fez. Again. But yeah, other than that, most of those games either look like crap or were crap in my opinion. I have over 90 XBLA games, none of which I regret (except effing Lode Runner, why did I get that?!), but don't think I'll be getting anymore if this trend continues.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

Avid Fan of Anime, JRPGs, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bankai

250. Posted:

Trainer_DJ wrote:

Aviator wrote:

360 is more geared to Western developers.

They could TRY to appeal to Japanese gamers. Heck, I don't really like western games. I mean don't they want money? Can't they just appeal to both tastes.

Microsoft set up FeelPlus for the sole reason to assist the dude who made Final Fantasy make Lost Odyssey at Mistwalker.

A three disc exclusive JRPG with massive production values.

Game bombed.

There is a very limited market for console games in Japan. Most everyone buys a PS3 and Wii and then they don't need anything else.

Microsoft ended up marketing the XBox as an adult's game machine with violence and sex and such. The limited success the console had in Japan was because of that.

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bankai

251. Posted:

It's also worth noting that anyone who has seen the size of a typical Japanese house realizes quickly why no one there cares for Kinect

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

252. Posted:

dethinc wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

dethinc wrote:

I don't know about everyone else but I am disappointed with the system so far and how it performs. We bought a deluxe edition and it is slower than my dual core Motorola phone that I play quake 3 on. My kids are the ones that the system was for and even they are disappointed with it. All the DLC for the games that have not come through yet but was promised in December. All the features that the system was supposed to have and that are lacking. This system was way over hyped. After reading the first few posts I am starting to think I should have waited for the new Microsoft system. And there is really not many games for the. At least there was a vast supply of games for the XBOX.
WII U. I hate to say the WII was a better system, maybe not the greatest graphics. Even my younger son wants to sell this thing and save for a new Microsoft system. He loves playing the Mario games but he does see what he is missing out on with the other systems on the market. So maybe soon we will have a WII U Deluxe for sale here.

Are you kidding me... Wii U wasn't hyped at all, if anything, people were doubting it since it was announced. The next PS/Xbox are 1-2 years off, and this is the best system you can get as of now. Just because Nintendo ditched sound programs like Dolby, DTS, and a more 'versatile' online, doesn't make it worse than anything. I agree, Xbox 360 and PS3 have tons of extras that make Wii U seem like alot less(not for me, but to you apparently), but it IS the best console in terms of potential, and kicks the other consoles' rears with the games it does have from those consoles(COD BO2, Darksiders 2, Batman AC, AC3, Tekken). We're waiting for the other consoles too you know, but if you as an individual feel the need to sell your console because your so disappointed, go ahead. I bet you'll be buying another one in a few months if you do sell it, so just a heads up.

It was hyped and no if we sell it i think i would get the kids a microsoft system when it comes out, right now they are playing just dance 4 the DLC was promised in December but nothing even the WII has the DLC for this game. So yes I think it is a train wreck right now. The only reason I did not get them a xbox is it being an aging system and due for the new one soon. I do not play consoles at all I have multiple PC gaming systems so do my kids so no big deal here just wasted some cash and learned a lesson. And I have seen a few people on here talking about mainstream next gen games, Do you think you will see GTA5 on this system in the future, I know Sony and Microsoft will have it but Nintendo wont, just an example. The new colonel marines will be out soon but I'm afraid to get it for this system, may just get 3 copies for PC. You know something I am picky after playing PC for all these years but my kids are little and do not know better and they are still noticing these issues so i know its not just me. I'm not here to complain but voice my opinion and I want Nintendo to hear it and know how many people are disappointed.

Well, if you don't have a Wii, you do now, plus Wii U on top of that. Wii got alot of good games besides the small amount of multiplatform games. Play the Wii version of Just Dance if you want the DLC. It's not really Nintendo's fault that 3rd parties weren't ready to support their system. In a way, 3rd parties are hypocritical to say they will put games out for any console they can, because that obviously wasn't completely true when it came to Wii U. Really, I have PS3, and got rid of my Xbox 360 for the same old, same old. Those consoles pushed forward for what was 'impressive', and now Wii U is out with equal plus some. There's reasons why Sony/Microsoft brought motion to their consoles. COD BO 2 can use Wii remote and nunchuck as a control scheme. Does Xbox 360/PS3 use motion controls for COD BO 2? Those are the kind of things you need to look at when you're trying to judge a console, not which one has the most FPS games.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

rallydefault

253. Posted:

dethinc wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

dethinc wrote:

I don't know about everyone else but I am disappointed with the system so far and how it performs. We bought a deluxe edition and it is slower than my dual core Motorola phone that I play quake 3 on. My kids are the ones that the system was for and even they are disappointed with it. All the DLC for the games that have not come through yet but was promised in December. All the features that the system was supposed to have and that are lacking. This system was way over hyped. After reading the first few posts I am starting to think I should have waited for the new Microsoft system. And there is really not many games for the. At least there was a vast supply of games for the XBOX.
WII U. I hate to say the WII was a better system, maybe not the greatest graphics. Even my younger son wants to sell this thing and save for a new Microsoft system. He loves playing the Mario games but he does see what he is missing out on with the other systems on the market. So maybe soon we will have a WII U Deluxe for sale here.

Are you kidding me... Wii U wasn't hyped at all, if anything, people were doubting it since it was announced. The next PS/Xbox are 1-2 years off, and this is the best system you can get as of now. Just because Nintendo ditched sound programs like Dolby, DTS, and a more 'versatile' online, doesn't make it worse than anything. I agree, Xbox 360 and PS3 have tons of extras that make Wii U seem like alot less(not for me, but to you apparently), but it IS the best console in terms of potential, and kicks the other consoles' rears with the games it does have from those consoles(COD BO2, Darksiders 2, Batman AC, AC3, Tekken). We're waiting for the other consoles too you know, but if you as an individual feel the need to sell your console because your so disappointed, go ahead. I bet you'll be buying another one in a few months if you do sell it, so just a heads up.

It was hyped and no if we sell it i think i would get the kids a microsoft system when it comes out, right now they are playing just dance 4 the DLC was promised in December but nothing even the WII has the DLC for this game. So yes I think it is a train wreck right now. The only reason I did not get them a xbox is it being an aging system and due for the new one soon. I do not play consoles at all I have multiple PC gaming systems so do my kids so no big deal here just wasted some cash and learned a lesson. And I have seen a few people on here talking about mainstream next gen games, Do you think you will see GTA5 on this system in the future, I know Sony and Microsoft will have it but Nintendo wont, just an example. The new colonel marines will be out soon but I'm afraid to get it for this system, may just get 3 copies for PC. You know something I am picky after playing PC for all these years but my kids are little and do not know better and they are still noticing these issues so i know its not just me. I'm not here to complain but voice my opinion and I want Nintendo to hear it and know how many people are disappointed.

To me, it just seems like you are biased against Nintendo. And that you don't have much hard information backing up your claims.

Dangerous combination.

How does anybody here know for certain that the Wii U won't see games like GTA 5? You just can't say that unless you are privy to some sort of secret knowledge. A good example proving my point is the Final Fantasy situation from years ago- Square/Enix (or whatever they are these days) was quoted time and time again, THE COMPANY ITSELF, as saying they would never ever ever bring a "main" FF game to Microsoft's console. Guess what? They did. It might have kinda sucked lol, but they did, and nobody ever thought it would happen in a million years.

rallydefault

AuthorMessage
Avatar

HawkeyeWii

254. Posted:

I could never buy an Xbox or Playstation system. I have played both, a lot at friends houses and I have never even had the fraction of the fun that I have had on my Wii and now my Wii U. First party games and innovative technology is what makes a good system, and that is something neither of those systems have had. Like hell, Sony hasn't even changed the design of their controller since the original playstation. No imagination....

Wii U username: KitKat_H12 (Unfortunately HawkeyeWii was already taken some how)
I STREAM LIVE GAMEPLAY AND SPEEDRUNS OF GAMES ON MY twitch channel here: http://www.twitch.tv/hawkeyewii

Friend Codes3DS FC 1547-5273-7750

Twitter: HawkeyeWii

AuthorMessage
Avatar

shingi_70

255. Posted:

Pretty sure both have first party games.

Also what do you define as innovative?

I mean I would consider LittlebigPlanet and Kinect both innovative. I would also consider Xbox Live and PS+ innovative as well.

Microsoft has come some interesting stuff in the Interactive TV field.

Using handless motion control and voice to control User Interface elements.

XBLA made the downloadable game on consoles popular.

The notion that a Console is for more than gaming, we had inklings of this concept with clncoles including DVD players but for the ,most till this gen consoles were still they're own separate devices. Now we have people buying consoles for the none gaming functions.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bankai

256. Posted:

HawkeyeWii wrote:

I could never buy an Xbox or Playstation system. I have played both, a lot at friends houses and I have never even had the fraction of the fun that I have had on my Wii and now my Wii U. First party games and innovative technology is what makes a good system, and that is something neither of those systems have had. Like hell, Sony hasn't even changed the design of their controller since the original playstation. No imagination....

The reason that Sony has stuck with that controller is because it is incredibly ergonomic.

I mean, seriously. Some people act like it's better to make shocking products that are 'innovative' (not understanding that in the games industry there is no such thing as the kind of innovation they're talking about. Games industry merely repurposes existing technology, and yes that includes Nintendo), then make something good that works and stick with it.

The PS3 controller is legitimately brilliant. There is no reason whatsoever to change that design.

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

TysonOfTime

257. Posted:

Bankai wrote:

The PS3 controller is legitimately brilliant. There is no reason whatsoever to change that design.

That's why they're changing it, right?

Edited on by TysonOfTime

Those who stand at the top determine what's wrong and what's right! This very place is neutral ground! Justice will prevail, you say? But of course it will! Whoever wins this war becomes justice!

3DS Friend Code: 4854-6436-0663 | Nintendo Network ID: TysonOfTime

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

258. Posted:

@ the "zomg it's like the Wii all over again" argument......... let's do that list of "big holiday 2006 titles" thing again

On Wii at launch:

  • Call of Duty 3
  • Madden 2007
  • Need for Speed: Carbon

Never on Wii:

  • Gears of War
  • Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas
  • Resistance: Fall of Man

Wii exclusive

  • Wii Sports
  • Wii Play
  • Zelda Twilight Princess
  • Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz

now compare that to the list I made for the Wii U a few pages back.

Anecdotally at this point in the Wii's life, and I got it at launch as I did with the Wii U, I owned Wii Play, Wii Sports and Twilight Princess. No VC games as far as I can remember and WiiWare didn't even exist yet. Between January 2007 and about October 2007 I only got Super Mario Strikers and Super Paper Mario. That was the Wii drought of games.

In comparison with the Wii U I already have Assassin's Creed 3, New SMB U, Nintendo Land, Little Inferno and Nano Assault Neo. Between now and the October comparison date I'll almost surely grab Rayman Legends, Pikmin 3, Trine 2, Runner 2.... and probably something else.... maybe Need for Speed: Most Wanted. Night and day compared to the position the Wii was in.

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage
Avatar

moomoo

259. Posted:

HawkeyeWii wrote:

I could never buy an Xbox or Playstation system. I have played both, a lot at friends houses and I have never even had the fraction of the fun that I have had on my Wii and now my Wii U. First party games and innovative technology is what makes a good system, and that is something neither of those systems have had. Like hell, Sony hasn't even changed the design of their controller since the original playstation. No imagination....

Game design is what makes games innovative, not the machines running them. Just take a look:

Mario Galaxy is innovative in the way that it changed perpectives on how people viewed platformers in 3D space. It has nothing to do with the fact it was on Wii.
Metroid Prime was innovative in how it was able to take a property that before only existed in 2D and put it into a 3D space and still retain the feel of the game. The gamecube controller isn't why that worked.
Halo: Combat Evolved was so utterly different than any FPS prior. That, once again, doesn't have anything to do with the crappy original XBOX controller. It was because of its innovative game design.
Portal is innovative because, you guessed it, game design. There are plenty of games out there that have the same control scheme as Portal. None, however, play like it, since Portal changes how one views the way a video game can be.

I could keep going on and on, but I think you get my point.

Also, by saying there's no worthwhile games on PS3 or 360, you just stated that Ni No Kuni is uninteresting and stupid. That ain't right, man.

Edited on by moomoo

Best thread ever
Feel free to add me on Miiverse or PSN.
Miiverse is Moomoo14, PSN is Moomoo1405390

3DS Friend Code: 4940-5561-6002 | Nintendo Network ID: Moomoo14

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

260. Posted:

Actually, the Wii had a lot of games in its first year. Way more than the Wii U (so far), actually. It's just that most of them were terrible, unlike most of the games for the Wii U.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

Avid Fan of Anime, JRPGs, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~