Wii U Forum

Topic: Is this bad news for the Wii U?

Showing 161 to 180 of 268

AuthorMessage

MAB

161. Posted:

They might bomb for all you know. That's the point I made earlier about high hopes can turn to ultimate disappoint.

MAB

AuthorMessage

Bankai

162. Posted:

MadAussieBloke wrote:

The reason why WiiU isn't getting alot of the current gen games all boils down to the PS360 having a bigger user base so devs are gonna release on those first then maybe port later... I would say it's gonna be the opposite way around when PS720 releases ;) devs will make games for WiiU in a topsy-turvy switcheroo as this will maximize profits for the long haul.

Nintendo is famously terrible at supporting the western developers, and platform holder support is crucial for getting the third parties on board.

If Nintendo supported Activision and EA as it supports Tecmo Koei, I would give it a fair chance to being the lead console for the AAA-franchises after PS4 and Xbox 720 launches. As it stands though? No. Sony and Microsoft are not going to make it easy to draw the western third party support.

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage

scrubbyscum999

163. Posted:

I hate to say it, but I don't care. Unless the Sony and Microsoft offer me something that is worth paying a ton of money for a whole new system I am not buying it anyway. I already will be able to play Tekken when I get a Wii U. As long as Nintendo gets 3rd party support (for games I care about) that's all that matters. That has yet to be seen, but I already know the chances of me buying a Sony and Microsoft system are very low. Not to mention this all rumors. I am just hoping Wii U will get some more JRPGs and Japanese titles in general. I don't really like Western games most of the time.

3DS Friend Code: 4081-5661-0445
Steam:scrubbyscum999

3DS Friend Code: 4081-5661-0445 | Twitter: @scrubbyscum999

AuthorMessage

Bankai

164. Posted:

Trainer_DJ wrote:

I hate to say it, but I don't care. Unless the Sony and Microsoft offer me something that is worth paying a ton of money for a whole new system I am not buying it anyway. I already will be able to play Tekken when I get a Wii U. As long as Nintendo gets 3rd party support (for games I care about) that's all that matters. That has yet to be seen, but I already know the chances of me buying a Sony and Microsoft system are very low. Not to mention this all rumors. I am just hoping Wii U will get some more JRPGs and Japanese titles in general. I don't really like Western games most of the time.

It's a safe bet that Nintendo will look after Tecmo Koei (Atelier Touch? Oh boy), but Square Enix is showing less and less interest in console game publishing and Capcom doesn't make many JRPG games. Namco Bandai is genuinely platform agnostic. I also wouldn't count on any Wii U support from From Software.

I wouldn't expect much better support for the Wii U from the Japanese development community than the Wii had.

AuthorMessage

WaLzgi

165. Posted:

Bankai wrote:

MadAussieBloke wrote:

The reason why WiiU isn't getting alot of the current gen games all boils down to the PS360 having a bigger user base so devs are gonna release on those first then maybe port later... I would say it's gonna be the opposite way around when PS720 releases ;) devs will make games for WiiU in a topsy-turvy switcheroo as this will maximize profits for the long haul.

Nintendo is famously terrible at supporting the western developers, and platform holder support is crucial for getting the third parties on board.

If Nintendo supported Activision and EA as it supports Tecmo Koei, I would give it a fair chance to being the lead console for the AAA-franchises after PS4 and Xbox 720 launches. As it stands though? No. Sony and Microsoft are not going to make it easy to draw the western third party support.

But Ubisoft seems to be on board. EA is kinda iffy especially after their Wii fiasco and at least Activision is multiplatforming their biggest stuff onto Wii U

Nintendo Life moderator and duck.

My BUY_A_WII_U_loggery

3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

AuthorMessage

Bankai

166. Posted:

LZBirdboi wrote:

Bankai wrote:

MadAussieBloke wrote:

But Ubisoft seems to be on board. EA is kinda iffy especially after their Wii fiasco and at least Activision is multiplatforming their biggest stuff onto Wii U

Ubisoft supports everyone and everything. The Xbox360, PS3 and even the Vita all get some great support from Ubi.

I wouldn't assume ZombiU means Nintendo is being especially approachable for the other European and American publishers. When the likes of Majesco and Focus Home Entertainment start producing exclusive content for the Wii U I will believe Nintendo is engaging properly with the western publishers.

Edited on by Bankai

AuthorMessage

MAB

167. Posted:

Maybe Miyomoto on tour live and in the flesh will help turn the gaming world upside-down ;)

Untitled

Untitled

Pumps fist while headbangin'

MAB

AuthorMessage

Discostew

168. Posted:

Sony_70 wrote:

That really worked with the Wii didn't' it.

Also we don't how the adoption rate will be for Or is and Durango,

If we look at launch numbers for the PS3 and 360, we can get an idea. They were affected by price compared to the Wii, so unless they're going to price them lower with this next gen, I can only see similar sales happening.

"What fun is there in making sense?"
Lazer Light Studios - Home of the MM2 PTC project

Pokemon 3DS Friend Safari - Ice - Spheal, Sneasel, Lapras

3DS Friend Code: 4425-1477-0127 | Nintendo Network ID: Discostew

AuthorMessage

Sean_Aaron

169. Posted:

Sony_70 wrote:

Yes because stuff like getting online and a digital store right on a console, having a console do more than games, stuff that Sony has been doing with its developers somehow aren't innovative

Neither of those are terribly innovative, nor do they make a console more of a must have item - or are you going to tell me the online shop is why people should buy a PS3? You're just talking about a distribution method and adding a game mode or a way for publishers to continue to sell content for an already sold game; not how you interact with the software itself which has stayed joypad-driven.

The gaming experience on the PS3 isn't terribly far removed from what you'd get on a PC and very similar to the previous two generations of consoles before it except for arguably a stronger first-person focus in game style. Not that there's anything wrong with that. In fact if Sony hadn't blown it with an expensive optical disc format and difficult to program proprietary chipset I expect they would have continued to dominate the market, but they seem to have gotten overconfident and expect the Playstation brand to sell itself forever.

Anyway, Nintendo will do their thing regardless. System specs aren't scary; let's see if Microsoft and Sony can actually "wow" people this time.

BLOG, mail: sean@seanswiiworld.co.uk
Nintendo ID: sean.aaron

AuthorMessage

Bankai

170. Posted:

That's the point. I expect them both to wow me. Not for the graphical capabilities - if I cared about that I would get a PC for gaming.

No. Microsoft and Sony wowed me for the same reason Nintendo wowed me - innovation, and I expect the same to happen with the next gen. Nintendo does not have a monopoly on that, contrary to what the fanboys think.

AuthorMessage

MAB

171. Posted:

The only one with a monopoly would be microsoft but if they were surviving on the xbox alone that would not be the case ;)

MAB

AuthorMessage

TonIttou

172. Posted:

Although I'll be definitely grabbing the new Xbox I wouldn't imagine too much of an issue with Nintendo.

I don't think down ports on the Wii U will be as drastic as they were on the Wii. BF4 on Durango might have 32 players, larger and more detailed environments and more destruct ability, but a Wii U version could still be good.
An example would be BF3 on consoles compared to PC.

Hopefully this will encourage better 3rd part support that last gen, and give the devs more chance to play around with the gamepad a bit more.

TonIttou

AuthorMessage

skywake

173. Posted:

I still think the most interesting competition Nintendo will have will be from Valve/Nvidia rather than Microsoft/Sony. I'm fairly sure I'm not the only one who saw this and started throwing money at the screen.... It's basically a Wii U GamePad for your PC.

give me something like that as a thin client purely for Steam that I can plug into my TV and I'm hooked. No need for anything other than that for cross platform gaming.

Edited on by skywake

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage

shingi_70

174. Posted:

Sean_Aaron wrote:

Sony_70 wrote:

Yes because stuff like getting online and a digital store right on a console, having a console do more than games, stuff that Sony has been doing with its developers somehow aren't innovative

I bought a 360 over a Wii because of XBLA and the ability to view Netflix. Different strokes for different folks.

Also innovations don't have to big things. Kinect is considered a innovation in the tech field while its being called reactionary in the gaming space. I mean the actually technology behind Kinect was invented in 2005 it just we couldn't get at a consumer level until 2009 and even then it was under gimped compared to the testing models.

Neither of those are terribly innovative, nor do they make a console more of a must have item - or are you going to tell me the online shop is why people should buy a PS3? You're just talking about a distribution method and adding a game mode or a way for publishers to continue to sell content for an already sold game; not how you interact with the software itself which has stayed joypad-driven.

The gaming experience on the PS3 isn't terribly far removed from what you'd get on a PC and very similar to the previous two generations of consoles before it except for arguably a stronger first-person focus in game style. Not that there's anything wrong with that. In fact if Sony hadn't blown it with an expensive optical disc format and difficult to program proprietary chipset I expect they would have continued to dominate the market, but they seem to have gotten overconfident and expect the Playstation brand to sell itself forever.

Anyway, Nintendo will do their thing regardless. System specs aren't scary; let's see if Microsoft and Sony can actually "wow" people this time.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage

rallydefault

175. Posted:

Bankai wrote:

That's the point. I expect them both to wow me. Not for the graphical capabilities - if I cared about that I would get a PC for gaming.

No. Microsoft and Sony wowed me for the same reason Nintendo wowed me - innovation, and I expect the same to happen with the next gen. Nintendo does not have a monopoly on that, contrary to what the fanboys think.

What do you think Microsoft and Sony are going to innovate to wow us with? What did the 360 innovate to wow us with? I wasn't wowed by the kinect... or the cloud... or the headset... or the... uh.... I don't know.... size of the hard drive? Some of the apps are nice to have... The games were pretty much the same I play on my PC, with the exception of Gears and the later Halos. But... nothing I couldn't do on my PC, you know? The kinect could have been that difference-maker, but at least for me, that thing didn't really pan out aside from some of the voice commands being nice little shortcuts through the menus.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, and I'm sure you'll accuse me of a being a fanboy, though that statement couldn't be further from the truth (I didn't even own a Wii last generation... I was vehemently against it). But there wasn't really anything that springs to mind that my 360 did that my PC didn't...

rallydefault

AuthorMessage

shingi_70

176. Posted:

See Gamers always do the stupid thing of comparing consoles too PCs. What's innovative in the console space might not be in the PC space as they're different markets for the most part.

Its the reason why the iPad is considered innovative even though you can do a lot of the same on your PC.

Its dwelling that the big story this year is Cable and the consolization of the PC with big picture mode and steam box,

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage

skywake

177. Posted:

@Sony_70
Comparing consoles to PCs isn't a "stupid thing" given that consoles quite literally are "PCs" in a broader sense. What gamers and I'd argue consumers in general want is to be able to access unique content in a way that's "more transparent" if that makes sense. To put it bluntly ideally the end user shouldn't even have know what hardware they have or how it works. Which is why that Nvidia thing is cool. You could get something like that plugged into multiple screens throughout the house, login to steam and just have it work. Instant PC-Grade visuals to whatever screen you want without having to think about it outside of plugging in power/data/video cables.

You're right that the iPad wasn't considered innovative because it allowed you to do new things because it really didn't. It was considered innovative because it was the first popular cheap tablet device designed specifically for lounge chair computing. All it did was make previously difficult tasks, like sharing a video around a table or looking up something during an ad break, more transparent. It's not nor has it ever been a productivity device, it's for entertainment.... and as such it hasn't killed the laptop/desktop market as much as some would have you believe.

Same goes for PC vs Consoles. They aren't different markets they're overlapping arguments in the same way that portable gamers and console gamers aren't two entirely different groups of people. Sometimes you play games at a desk, sometimes you play games on your couch, sometimes you play games between places. So you get a different device for every one of those use cases................... then Nvidia says "hey, why not buy one GPU and use it for all three?" and people start listening

Edited on by skywake

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage

rallydefault

178. Posted:

@Sony_70
I guess we'll just have to disagree on this one- I think comparing PCs and consoles is a valid mode of argument, especially when it come to innovation. I really don't think the PC gaming market is as seperate as you think- many, many gamers own both consoles and some sort of gaming-capable PC. If I can play the same exact games on my PC as I can on my 360 (and heck, even plug in a 360 controller to my PC), then to me, there isn't anything innovative there, and there really isn't a technical reason to own both. When I built this new gaming PC, there really wasn't much reason for me to keep firing up my 360. I still use it for watching TV shows on the big screen when my girlfriend is over, but that's about it. I think NIntendo realized this growing problem last generation and this generation, and thus the Wii family of consoles was born. The "PC space" doesn't support Wii games. The "PC space" doesn't support Wii U-optimized games or first-party Nintendo games. That's just how it is. So if I want to play those games, I need to buy Nintendo's console. It's a good move on the company's part. When the 360 came out, it didn't do anything my PC couldn't do at the time. Wireless was nice for a console, but that wasn't exactly revolutionary. Packaging a headset was nice, but again, wasn't anything PC gamers hadn't already seen for years.

Unless Sony and Microsoft come out with some super-secret weapon other than an improved Kinect and Move, I have a sinking feeling that most 720/PS4 games will follow the pattern and be near simultaneously released on PC. That's why I decided to make the switch back to Nintendo after owning Microsoft's and Sony's consoles for the previous two generations.

So back to the title of this thread... I don't think Nintendo is in trouble at all if it just keeps being Nintendo while the other guys get in a "you-know-what" contest over technical specs.

rallydefault

AuthorMessage

Bankai

179. Posted:

rallydefault wrote:

Bankai wrote:

What do you think Microsoft and Sony are going to innovate to wow us with? What did the 360 innovate to wow us with? I wasn't wowed by the kinect... or the cloud... or the headset... or the... uh.... I don't know.... size of the hard drive? Some of the apps are nice to have... The games were pretty much the same I play on my PC, with the exception of Gears and the later Halos. But... nothing I couldn't do on my PC, you know? The kinect could have been that difference-maker, but at least for me, that thing didn't really pan out aside from some of the voice commands being nice little shortcuts through the menus.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, and I'm sure you'll accuse me of a being a fanboy, though that statement couldn't be further from the truth (I didn't even own a Wii last generation... I was vehemently against it). But there wasn't really anything that springs to mind that my 360 did that my PC didn't...

Microsoft failing to wow you with innovation =/= Microsoft failing to wow with innovation.

Kinect is a very impressive piece of technology, and it's evolving to have applications well beyond gaming. Sony's PlayStation Plus strategy is a remarkably innovative marketing/ content distribution service. Both Sony and Microsoft have done a brilliant job of turning dedicated gaming consoles into full entertainment solutions for the living room. The cross play with the Vita is an innovative way of leveraging both console's technology. SmartGlass is an innovative way of interacting TV to tablet.

None of that might impress you personally, and that's fine, but it's examples of the many technology and philisophical innovation on consoles that both companies invest in - none of which has anything to do with 'the graphics' which, once again, Sony and Microsoft are constantly accused of focusing exclusively on.

AuthorMessage

Token_Girl

180. Posted:

Sure - Nintendo could update the WiiU regularly, but they said they'd do that with the Wii as well - and we saw how many substantial updates that got. Bottom line is, while graphics probably can't improve to the point that most people care - the console features in the online world are going to be the big separator for the next PS and Xbox. We're talking about things like cloud gaming, but the Xbox360 and PS3 do that now. I'm sure that the next consoles will provide updates and even more services that we don't even know about yet in their lifespan. WiiU isn't doing anything more than what the PS360 did at launch. Maybe not even that much (I think they had actual account systems). I'm not going to hold my breath that we'll get much, if any of the promised updates. Nintendo could very likely say after year three - what's the point in anything but the minimum homebrew-blockng OS updates, like they did with the Wii. We'll just save it for the next console. Sony and Microsoft will update their consoles - they have a track record.

I like the WiiU, because I like Nintendo games. But look at Gamecube - that's how far Nintendo exclusives alone will take you.

I am way too lazy to think of something clever.
My Backloggery
Pokemon Platinum FC: 0517 9582 3270
Pokemon SS FC: 4512 4783 5710
Mario Kart DS FC: 4211 7712 2928