Wii U Forum

Topic: Is this bad news for the Wii U?

Showing 121 to 140 of 268

AuthorMessage

Shrapmo

121. Posted:

What's wrong with Cloud? Why is there an argument about this?

Here is a new petition to get Metal Gear Solid Rising: Revengence on the Wii U!!!
http://www.change.org/petitions/konami-platinum-games-metal-gear-rising-revengeance-for-the-nintendo-wii-u

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

122. Posted:

Shrapmo wrote:

What's wrong with Cloud? Why is there an argument about this?

I honestly do not know. :| I'm happy using cloud services to back up my saves, purchase history, and other account-related things. I also tried On-Live and quite liked it, so I wouldn't mind it for gaming either if they end up going down that route.

Doesn't talk about games.

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

shingi_70

123. Posted:

SCAR392 wrote:

Another way you could avoid a cloud system, would be by not having so many damn devices that all apparently do the same s***. Seriously, just get an iPad 3, and you won't need an iPhone anymore, much less both. There's an app for that(iPhone). Same thing with Apple. They have iMac as their 'home console', with iPad as their portable. iPad can't even run most of iMac's stuff. How the hell are you gonna sync unusable apps over to iPad through cloud, without internet on top of that?

You obviously have no concept of how icloud,Google Drive, and Microsoft sky drive work.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage

skywake

124. Posted:

Sean_Aaron wrote:

Other than account portability I cannot see what the cloud would bring to the Wii U; I'm also not seeing any inherent "must have" aspect to it.

I have an iPhone and an iPad and a Mac Mini. The ability to have the inbox on my mail app across all three is convenient as is having access to an open browser tab from one device available in another or my place in a book I'm reading tracked or save data for the very rare app I run on both iPhone and iPad (actually I don't think I have any).

The one thing that I think is great about the iCloud service in particular is the one thing I want to see on the Wii U. Heard stories of iPhones being lost or thrown into pools by angry relatives and people going out to get a new one. Then discovering that all of their stuff is backed up on iCloud. Incredibly handy, the main reason to have the service surely. Now why would that matter with the Wii U? Well... if you have a HDD plugged in it by default sends saves to the HDD. HDD failure is something that happens more often than you think so when you sit a save file on there you're running that risk.

I don't mind having to download the game again but I would be pretty annoyed if I lost my progress in a game. They have the ability to enable this feature as standard, they should do it ASAP. A nice safety blanket.

Edited on by skywake

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage

Bankai

125. Posted:

skywake wrote:

Sean_Aaron wrote:

Other than account portability I cannot see what the cloud would bring to the Wii U; I'm also not seeing any inherent "must have" aspect to it.

I have an iPhone and an iPad and a Mac Mini. The ability to have the inbox on my mail app across all three is convenient as is having access to an open browser tab from one device available in another or my place in a book I'm reading tracked or save data for the very rare app I run on both iPhone and iPad (actually I don't think I have any).

The one thing that I think is great about the iCloud service in particular is the one thing I want to see on the Wii U. Heard stories of iPhones being lost or thrown into pools by angry relatives and people going out to get a new one. Then discovering that all of their stuff is backed up on iCloud. Incredibly handy, the main reason to have the service surely. Now why would that matter with the Wii U? Well... if you have a HDD plugged in it by default sends saves to the HDD. HDD failure is something that happens more often than you think so when you sit a save file on there you're running that risk.

I don't mind having to download the game again but I would be pretty annoyed if I lost my progress in a game. They have the ability to enable this feature as standard, they should do it ASAP. A nice safety blanket.

Sony offers this service to folks with PlayStation Plus subscriptions. As a member, it's a great safety net, I agree.

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage

SCAR392

126. Posted:

Sony_70 wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

Another way you could avoid a cloud system, would be by not having so many damn devices that all apparently do the same s***. Seriously, just get an iPad 3, and you won't need an iPhone anymore, much less both. There's an app for that(iPhone). Same thing with Apple. They have iMac as their 'home console', with iPad as their portable. iPad can't even run most of iMac's stuff. How the hell are you gonna sync unusable apps over to iPad through cloud, without internet on top of that?

You obviously have no concept of how icloud,Google Drive, and Microsoft sky drive work.

I don't need a concept. Go to iCloud, get your account. If I don't know how it works, then please explain to me how it does. Please. I thought it was just a HDD server at Apple Corp. that stores every piece of data they have, then whether you have the license or not, they let you have access to essentially the same copy everyone else who has the license.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage

SCAR392

127. Posted:

I can't believe you guys don't think I know how this stuff works when I've explained that I've used it myself so many times.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage

Bankai

128. Posted:

SCAR392 wrote:

Sony_70 wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

I don't need a concept. Go to iCloud, get your account. If I don't know how it works, then please explain to me how it does. Please. I thought it was just a HDD server at Apple Corp. that stores every piece of data they have, then whether you have the license or not, they let you have access to essentially the same copy everyone else who has the license.

Ok I have literally tried to read this four times and I still can't translate it.

Could you please clarify what you mean?

Edited on by Bankai

AuthorMessage

Raiko

129. Posted:

If cloud gaming is the future, i'll be going back to the past. I don't want to buy licences for things I could lose if the servers were to disapear.

Raiko

AuthorMessage

SCAR392

130. Posted:

Well, it's ok. No problem. You guys want a cloud system, shared accounts, etc. stuff like that. The fact is, is that Nintendo's not gonna do that until they see fit, which may be never. I'm fine with that. They obviously saw online, HD graphics, better audio, and standard controllers were necessary like in other consoles, so maybe they'll be more open to ideas once PS4/Xbox 1080 use those as their key sell points, and it actually works. Xbox 360 didn't even have 1080p until PS3 did it, and same with motion controls for both of those consoles when Wii did. We will see.

Edited on by SCAR392

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage

Hokori

131. Posted:

SCAR392 wrote:

I can't believe you guys don't think I know how this stuff works when I've explained that I've used it myself so many times.

That's how people work... "if you think it sucks, you must not own it" :P but then again I could say the same to them about the WiiU :D people will make any excuse to make you agree with them

Digitaloggery
3DS FC: Otaku1
WiiU: 013017970991
Nintendo of Japan
niconico community is full of kawaii!
Must finish my backlagg or at least get close this year
Welcome to my emassary of doom >: }

AuthorMessage

brooks83

132. Posted:

SCAR392 wrote:

Sony_70 wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

"then whether you have the license or not, they let you have access to essentially the same copy everyone else who has the license"

Huh? It's used for backing up songs, pictures, etc. If you are running low on space on your device you can store your things on the cloud.

brooks83

AuthorMessage

kkslider5552000

133. Posted:

Can we have some literal Cloud gaming? It sounds like a cool idea for an indie game. Or a spinoff of the Nintendoland version of Balloon Fight.

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

I have a Let's Play channel? How?!

AuthorMessage

Bankai

134. Posted:

Hokori wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

That's how people work... "if you think it sucks, you must not own it" :P but then again I could say the same to them about the WiiU :D people will make any excuse to make you agree with them

No.

People do tend to be a little sceptical of people that have an opinion about a product that is factually incorrect.

If I was to say "I have a Wii U, and it's a good console. I'm a little surprised that the Wii U doesn't have motion controls any more though, I liked that," then you would not believe I have a Wii U, correct? Because I was factually incorrect about how the console even works.

And so it is with certain opinions about Cloud that we've seen in this thread.

Can we have some literal Cloud gaming? It sounds like a cool idea for an indie game. Or a spinoff of the Nintendoland version of Balloon Fight.

Doodle jump takes you into the clouds.

Edited on by Bankai

AuthorMessage

SCAR392

135. Posted:

Each of you probably are using the same copy, even possibly simultaneously. Just like Netflix, everyones streaming whatever they want, whenever they want. iCloud is exactly the same thing. The difference is whether or not you have the license when it comes right down to it. If iTunes/Apple just let you pay, say $10 a month for EVERYTHING on iTunes, that would be Netflix all over again. Apple makes iCloud free from hardware, cellular, and app sales combined.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage

Bankai

136. Posted:

SCAR392 wrote:

Each of you probably are using the same copy, even possibly simultaneously. Just like Netflix, everyones streaming whatever they want, whenever they want. iCloud is exactly the same thing. The difference is whether or not you have the license when it comes right down to it. If iTunes/Apple just let you pay, say $10 a month for EVERYTHING on iTunes, that would be Netflix all over again. Apple makes iCloud free from hardware, cellular, and app sales combined.

No. The applications on your iPad, iPhone and Macbook are all stored locally.

My iPad copy of Pages, for instance, is stored on my iPad. As is the documents I have made on Pages.

The iCloud keeps a backup of that data in an off-site datacentre, which I can then access from my other iOS devices, provided they are connected to the Internet.

The application itself is not streamed to the iPad, as a Netflix movie is. It is an entirely different content delivery system, though both use the Cloud, yes.

If you want a better example of that, you should look at Google Docs and the like. Those are operated directly from the Cloud, in this case through a Web browser.

Accuracy is important.

Edited on by Bankai

AuthorMessage

Hokori

137. Posted:

Uhhh facts..... Facts are only facts if you use them right, if one person doesn't feel the need to use something they by Defult it's a "fact" (or opinion what ever) to them
fact: I like things from Japan. Or is it an opinion?

Digitaloggery
3DS FC: Otaku1
WiiU: 013017970991
Nintendo of Japan
niconico community is full of kawaii!
Must finish my backlagg or at least get close this year
Welcome to my emassary of doom >: }

AuthorMessage

Bankai

138. Posted:

Hokori wrote:

It's an opinion. Not a fact.

^ That statement is a fact.

AuthorMessage

SCAR392

139. Posted:

I bet they do just stream stuff that they own to you like Netflix. For stuff you make, it stores it, but I don't see why they would store data that is essentially already there. If they seriously stored everyones individual content in their own cloud, their servers probably wouldn't be able to keep up with everyone's clouds. Your account has the lincenses to give you access to your licensed content, all streamed to you like Netflix. They don't have a seperate cloud for everyone. Everyone has access to the same cloud.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage

SCAR392

140. Posted:

Bankai wrote:

Hokori wrote:

It's an opinion. Not a fact.

^ That statement is a fact.

It's a fact he has that opinion.

$¢@®³’²