Forums

Topic: Is the Wii U worth it? in 2017

Posts 1 to 20 of 67

nintendofan23453

i have a wii.But since the Nintendo Switch came out i don't know what console to pick...
i have heard alot of good stuff about the Switch but my friend has a wii u and we played it a couple times and i liked it!So i don't know should i choose the Wii U or Nintendo Switch,i asked a few of my friends and they said i should buy Nintendo Switch.I like the both consoles so i don't know which is better

Edited on by nintendofan23453

nintendofan23453

Octane

Switch.

By next year the Wii U will only have a few worthwhile exclusives left since most are ported over to the Switch. Those aren't worth getting a Wii U for IMO.

And they're also done supporting the Wii U; It's dead. No new games.

Octane

Samus7Killer

of course it is. It has lotsa gems like Pikmin3, The Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2Pack, and it even has Virtual Console!

Samus7Killer

NEStalgia

WiiU would only be worthwhile if you're interested in the handful of exclusives it has that will not (or likely will not be ported to Switch. Color Splash, Bayonetta (maybe?), Xenoblade X (maybe), Starfox 0, Mario 3D World, Mario U, Tokyo Mirage (ok...that one may make it worthwhile....), DKC:TF (noo word on a port yet which surprises me.) Mario Maker, etc..

There are good games for it, some of which probably won't come to Switch. But overall, it would be for completionism to play games you missed, but it would be a fairly lonely platform considering some of its biggest games (or their sequels) are already on/coming to Switch (Splatoon, MK8, Pokken, and we all assume Smash.) No doubt others will as well.

WiiU was a fun, underappreciated platform, but it's over and done with now, so it would just be for the backlog of games. Switch is more powerful than WiiU, is the current platform with an ever growing library and likely long future, and it has the whole handheld/portable aspect that makes it a lot more versatile too! Only thing it's missing is second screen gaming if that appealed to you about WiiU...but so little of it's library REALLY used that feature effectively.

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

SMEXIZELDAMAN

WiiU

Check out SUBLIME GAMER, my YouTube Channel
God loves you

Grumblevolcano

I agree with @Octane here, the vast majority of Wii U exclusives will be either ported or given a similar sequel so just get the Switch.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

SKTTR

At the moment the Wii U is clearly the better home console.
It has a Wii included and 2000+ games that can be played on it.

Switch has 80 games and its only positive is it's portable.
It's missing almost everything else the Wii U has, especially good controls.

Edited on by SKTTR

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

Haru17

Short answer no, long answer nooooooooooooooooo.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

RenderSpotlight

If you can get it for cheap, then I would say yes. Even if you only look at it as an updated Wii. You will have access to all the Wii stuff (and that is a lot). However, it is basically dead, but that does not mean it is bad. If you are a Nintendo fan, then it is a no brainer and I am surprised you do not own one already.

My family and I had and still have a wonderful time with it. From my family's perspective there were two main draw backs to the Wii U and only 2 reasons reason we owned a PS3. One was for Minecraft and the other was multi media aspects. But Minecraft is not an issue anymore. If Nintendo would have gotten minecraft on the Wii U faster, I would have looked at other options for mutimedia.

RenderSpotlight

Phazon

SKTTR wrote:

At the moment the Wii U is clearly the better home console.
It has a Wii included and 2000+ games that can be played on it.

Switch has 80 games and its only positive is it's portable.
It's missing almost everything else the Wii U has, especially good controls.

Keep being delusional, that's the only positive point of your post.

Phazon

Anti-Matter

@nintendofan23453
With Wii U, You can play both Wii U and Wii games on 1 machine. All Wii games will be displayed on 1080p, looks better than from Wii output (480p).

Time doesn't matter. You can buy Wii U right now, enjoy your Wii games on better output display with some Wii U games and Second screen from Gamepad.

Unless... if you still comfort with your Wii due to backward compatibility with Gamecube, you can skip Wii U, upgrade your Wii with HD converter.

Anti-Matter

SKTTR

@Phazon:
Sorry, but the Wii U is by far a better home console in my opinion.
And note, that's just my opinion.

If you want reasons, my reasons are there's just 3 things the Switch is better at:

• more power than Wii U
  • cartridges instead of discs
  • portability

These are great positive reasons, mind.

I wrote down all the negatives compared to Wii U in another thread, and that list is huge.
So in direct comparison, the Wii U has much more positives, except those 3 things where the Switch is better at.
Just an opinion.

I bought the N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U and Switch at their launch day. They all were a significant step ahead of their predecessors,
except the Switch which is the first Nintendo console that has some siginificant steps down, and just a few ups from its predecessor.

Your post unfortunately has nothing positive. All I can gain from your post is "I dislike Wii U for no reason and I like Switch for no reason".

Edited on by SKTTR

th3r3ds0x

@nintendofan23453 if you can still find a Wii U I'd say it's worth having but I'd would personally recommend getting a Switch and maybe picking up a used Wii U on the cheap. Definitely some great games to be had but it's a dead system now. It's also good to have if you Wii dies it will play your Wii games.

th3r3ds0x

Phazon

@SKTTR

do you really need 2000+ games to entertain you?

Plus, didn't everyone talk poopoo on the Wii U because it was underpowered?

I happened to buy a Wii U at launch along with New Super Mario Wii U and Sonic all-star racing transformed.

I find it funny that people ignored the Wii U and now they say that it's the "better" console because the Switch only has 80 games at the moment. Can't wait the flood of Switch games comes out to prove everyone wrong. (and yes, I said the flood of games. inb4 some one makes a snarky joke about how Switch has no games ect..)

I enjoyed the Wii U but face it: the Wii U ports will happen like Hyrule Warriors Deluxe, but there will obviously be people whining about Nintendo not making new Ips or Complaining about making HD remasters or vice versa.

Edited on by LzWinky

Phazon

SKTTR

@Phazon

2000+ games? No! I only need 600 games.
That's the amount of games I have readily playable on my Wii U.
But that's not the point.

The point is, on Wii U you could choose from 1200+ games when the system launched.
On Switch you could only choose from 18 games.

And all I really say is, that's one of the many steps down from it's predecessor, so the point goes to Wii U.
Even with 10 releases per week, the Switch needs years to get to that point of diversity and quantity.

And even if that point gets reached somehow, it still wouldn't bring back a good default controller, or a good browser, or a means to recharge without the possibility of damaging your screen, or two-screen gameplay, or a camera, a microphone, backwards compatibility, Miiverse, and other apps.

I'm amazed how people blindly buy up Splatoon 2, LEGO City Undercover, and other Switch games that have better versions, much cheaper on Wii U.

Switch is not the better console. Not right now.
Nintendo just got its marketing right this time. Marketing is everything.

Edited on by SKTTR

Linked2thaPast

After the nes I went with the Genesis in the late 80s and stuck with PlayStation since the psone, I got a Wii U 2 years ago and have 30 game backlog and that doesn't include the 35 Wii games I've picked up over the past two years. I had a launch Wii but after madworld I largely ignored the system but going back now I honestly feel like it was underrated. I've only completed 10 of the Wii U games I purchased and every one of them has made me feel bad that I didn't give the big n a chance years ago. I got 3ds last year and have huge a backlog on that system as well, but I still got a switch on day one because how much the u surprised me. I have over 200 platinum trophies and have barely touched my PS4 since getting the Wii U. The switch is awesome and a must have console but the Wii U is definitely worth purchasing. Matter of fact anyone trying to decide between the switch or u should go with the u if they can only get one system. Most of the games coming are ports minus gamepad support which really make a lot of the u's library unique. Graphics aren't much better, but the u is still played daily in my household and will be for the foreseeable future alongside the switch. The Zelda remakes are awesome, Mario 3d world, captain toad, donkey kong, Kirby, pikmin, xenoblade, paper Mario, Tokyo mirage, yoshis wooly world, so many great games plus it's basically a Wii as well. The switch is basically the u 2.0 and will be just as great if not Nintendos best system in the future but both are must own consoles. Right now is probably the best time to buy the u because unlike those who ve had one since launch most games are readily available at a discounted price and waiting another year or so means that you may have to deal with scalper prices because the u only sold 14 million consoles. I guarantee that Nintendo will be releasing themed switches in the future and I'll probably buy another one at that time which is another reason why I'd pick the u over the switch if I could only choose one console. The switch is gearing up to be Nintendos return to form but at the moment I believe we are experiencing a soft launch. I play my switch u and 3ds every day so you really can't go wrong but I still believe the u offers more at this point and will become rarer over the next year or so.

Linked2thaPast

Grumblevolcano

@SKTTR For you to say that I guess voice chat must mean a lot to you as that's really the only advantage the Wii U versions have over the Switch versions.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

spizzamarozzi

It depends how much you're going to pay for it. WiiU is an obsolete and officially dead console, so you shouldn't be paying it full price. That said, WiiU is a pretty good console in its own right. The advantages over the Switch, at this point in time, is that the WiiU has a good library of games already, some of which you can buy at a budget price. Plus backwards compatibility with Wii and all its accessories, WiiWare, Virtual Console etc.

If you don't mind playing two or three year old games, I'd say the WiiU is a sound investment. There are many good games like Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Bayonetta 2, Pikmin 3, Super Mario 3D World, Super Mario Maker, The Wonderful 101 and so on. If you can find a cheap console, there's enough to keep you occupied for a couple of years, enough time for the Switch to build a decent library of games, clear the market of faulty consoles, develop a serious online service...basically, enough time to see if the Switch is a good investment or not.

Besides, I personally wouldn't buy a new Nintendo console in its first year of release.

Top-10 games I played in 2017: The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild (WiiU) - Rogue Legacy (PS3) - Fallout 3 (PS3) - Red Dead Redemption (PS3) - Guns of Boom (MP) - Sky Force Reloaded (MP) - ...

3DS Friend Code: 0104-0649-7464 | Nintendo Network ID: spizzamarozzi

SKTTR

Grumblevolcano wrote:

@SKTTR For you to say that I guess voice chat must mean a lot to you as that's really the only advantage the Wii U versions have over the Switch versions.

For me to say what? I think you referencing my opinion that Splatoon 1 is better than 2?
No, it has nothing to do with voice chat. I never used voice chat in that game.

To put some things into perspective first, Splatoon was 39,99€ at release, Splatoon 2 is 59,99€. That's a 50% increase of cost.
Splatoon 1 also had a fantastic way of integrating Miiverse drawings and probably voice chat as well, much better than the convoluted ways on Switch.

But my main complaints are that Splatoon 1 had a great way of superjumping instantly to where the action is through a simple tap on the GamePad + you always had the map handy on the second screen. Is Splatoon 2's map just as practical and simple to navigate? I haven't tried yet. I already had problems getting accustomed with the Joy-Con controls. Granted, I had the same problem with BotW and got used to it, but I still like the Wii U controls better.

Obviously, Splatoon 1 has free online multiplayer and will continue to have free online multiplayer for some time. Splatoon 2's free online multiplayer ends in 2018.

So yeah, that's why I think Splatoon 1 is better.

And to get back on topic, if you can live without the new, exclusive Switch games, then buy a Wii U and wait for a better Switch. At least wait for one that comes in a clamshell design (like every Nintendo handheld since the GBA SP) to have some protection on that pricey thing. I hope they'll also revisit the flawed Joy-Cons and Switch Dock and have better ones on the Switch V2.

Edited on by SKTTR

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.