Forums

Topic: Is the Wii U going to fail?

Posts 21 to 36 of 36

Midnight3DS

Well they chose gamepad and cost over competitive performance. It's too bad people thought the Wii U is something it's not. Nintendo can still make it shine at what it is good at.

Edited on by Midnight3DS

3DS Friend Code: 5129-0855-7142 ID = Midnight

AC:NL Mayor Jambo, town of Hamneggs

DarkNinja9

seems it will be a secondary console yet again even thought we a thought that might change this time =/

my 3DS friend code: 4468-2280-4674

i stopped playing mario kart now and moved on to luigis mansion :P

NNID(WiiU): GhostNinja1373

usually im just on miiverse(drawing) :P

Captain_Toad

This thing isn't out for a year yet.
E3 could be the deciding factor for the WiiU fate and or Christmas.
Doom and gloom is bad but may not be the final curtain call.
Projected losses are Projected losses. An estimate on basis on current trends. Estimate not fact.
And the PS4 is good and all but not something I would trade my (soon to be) WiiU for.
So.... Ummm.... Yeah, It's still too early to call.

Edited on by Captain_Toad

Was Mariobro4. No, I'm not taking off my backpack...it's important.

Switch Friend Code: SW-1530-1570-5053 | 3DS Friend Code: 3566-2311-3009 | Nintendo Network ID: Mariobro4

Cheaptrick

Seeing developers after developers bailing out of Wii U really makes this doom & gloom almost real. The Gamepad innovation looks promising at first but it doesn't look so good when there's not enough games coming. Maybe I should have invested on getting an Nvidia's Project Shield or PS4 later on this year than getting the Wii U so soon only to see it failing. If the rumors are true...

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/155322-six-months-in-is-the...

"Rumor has it that Nintendo is shrinking traditional 3rd party console developers, and instead it’s focusing on courting mobile devs. By making it easy for smartphone and tablet developers to port their popular games to the Wii U, Nintendo could be creating a home for smaller casual games. That’s a perfectly acceptable tactic, but Angry Birds and Plants Vs. Zombies alone just aren’t enough to save the Wii U. Nintendo needs big Zelda and Mario games ASAP if there is any hope in reviving its failing console."

Nintendo is shrinking traditional 3rd party console developers? Focusing on courting mobile devs? Is Nintendo really making the Wii U a game console for casual gamers to play smartphone games?

Edited on by Cheaptrick

GoombaSlayer

Late wrote:

I'll just wait and see. It's too early to say anything.

@GoombaSlayer: That was unnecessary and childish. You shouldn't get all offensive just because he won't play Nintendo exclusive games on his console. Everyone shall play games they like.

It was more about that he mentioned his old age as the reason to why he wouldnt play a Mario game.

Edited on by GoombaSlayer

GoombaSlayer

sonicfan1373

I do not think the console will fail. Articles mocking Nintendo are nothing new (DS was called a kids Gameboy toy and was said to be destined to fail due to the superior PSP, Wii was and still is called a gimmick and it was believed it would have failed in comparison to its more powerful counter parts, 3DS was supposed to be the next virtual boy [oddly the sites like Kotaku that were mocking the 3DS at its launch are now praising the system). CNN also said that 3DS would fail in 2011 and Nintendo would become software only and publish games on iOS, Android, and other consoles soon after (we are in 2013 and that has not happened) heck I remember CNN even said that by 2013 Apple's stock would be for sure above $1000 and that did not happen either so I would not count CNN as being reliable in their predictions.

Also, Nintendo is not the only one thinking of ways to bring mobile games to its platform. Two days ago Sony made a Vita dev kit for mobile developers that costs $99/year (similar to Apple's app store program) in an attempt to get mobile games onto that platform, Sony also said they will be working on making the PS4 Playstation Store more accessible to mobile developers. I do not understand why having mobile games on a console's digital store is a bad thing, and I do not understand why people are heavily criticizing Nintendo for this move and not criticizing companies like Sony for doing the same thing.

The Wii U will be fine once Nintendo releases more game, drops the price a bit, and re-advertises the system (Iwata has indicated that they will release more games and re-advertise, though he made no indication of a price drop yet). If we are here by next November and Wii U sales are still low then I will say that there is a very high possibility that the console will fail in the market.

Lastly, how are you certain that Activision will not bring Call of Duty: Ghosts to the Wii U, they have not even announced which next-gen system they will bring the game to and retailers and press have leaked the box-art of the Wii U version of the game and the idea that it will come to the Wii U before the game was even announced. Also, Activision's CEO did mention that Wii U launch sales were disappointing but he also mentioned that the launch of other next-gen system will also be risky for Activision due to a potential low install base, yet he reaffirmed that Activision Blizzard will support all next-gen systems. I think that Activision will release Ghosts for the Wii U, because knowing Nintendo's track record with past systems, Activision probably knowns that Nintendo will likely revitalize the system by the holidays.

sonicfan1373

Snagrio

Honestly guys, the system hasn't been out for a full year yet. Sure it isn't doing as well as it should, but hey, a number of hit consoles flopped around their first year or so before taking off. We should at least wait till after E3, or better yet, after the holiday season, see how the Wii U is doing then, and if its still struggling, THEN we can go on about gloom and doom. But until that time, it's just too early to really predict with certainty what's gonna go down.

Snagrio

3DS Friend Code: 4081-5821-0404 | Nintendo Network ID: WingedFish64

CrazyOtto

It's not going to fail, but I'm not sure how well it's going to sell either. I knew from before it was even revealed that it would not outsell the Wii, but making a Wii U Mario Kart bundle will probably sell alot. At worst, it would have comparable sales to the Gamecube.

CrazyOtto

3DS Friend Code: 4511-0465-7453 | Nintendo Network ID: MrSRArter

TOMBOY25

Cheaptrick wrote:

TOMBOY25 wrote:

come on guys everyone should know by now you buy a nintendo console for nintendo exclusive games its the way it has,is,and always will be.

Actually NO. I'm 42 y.o. I have no intention of playing Mario when I bought my Wii U.

umm ok so you bought it to play 3rd party games.......ok i hate to break it to you but you bought the wrong console for that.

TOMBOY25

3DS Friend Code: 0275-8827-8761 | Nintendo Network ID: TOMBOY25

LzWinky

Let's talk after the PS4 has mediocre sales due to Sony screwing it up somehow

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Cheaptrick

TOMBOY25 wrote:

umm ok so you bought it to play 3rd party games.......ok i hate to break it to you but you bought the wrong console for that.

I thought so. I should have known that before. I thought Nintendo was going hardcore this time on the Wii U. I never thought that gamers mainly use it to play Nintendo titles. Now I'm really selling my Wii U. There's really no point keeping this one hence I don't play Mario.

How much this usually sold for if used? No obvious scratch marks. Quality like new.

Edited on by Cheaptrick

LzWinky

Well if we're going by your standards, probably $25. In all honesty, check with Gamestop or Best Buy

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Snagrio

Cheaptrick wrote:

TOMBOY25 wrote:

I never thought that gamers mainly use it to play Nintendo titles. Now I'm really selling my Wii U. There's really no point keeping this one hence I don't play Mario.

Uh, it's a NINTENDO console, thus gamers buy it to play NINTENDO games. -_-

Snagrio

3DS Friend Code: 4081-5821-0404 | Nintendo Network ID: WingedFish64

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.