Forums

Topic: Is the Wii U a failure?

Posts 441 to 460 of 460

Black_Dragon_Joe

Is the wii u a failure? With all of the fun I have playing it, I would have to say no. Every other way? Possibly to yes. Nintendo is so enamoured with being different, or trying to save face from having the wii u dumped by most major developers... Whatever. My biggest complaint is that most of the games that I want to play are on other systems and not on the wii u. What's here is fun, but definitely not enough to keep my home a single console home.

Black_Dragon_Joe

UGXwolf

Black_Dragon_Joe wrote:

Is the wii u a failure? With all of the fun I have playing it, I would have to say no. Every other way? Possibly to yes. Nintendo is so enamoured with being different, or trying to save face from having the wii u dumped by most major developers... Whatever. My biggest complaint is that most of the games that I want to play are on other systems and not on the wii u. What's here is fun, but definitely not enough to keep my home a single console home.

I think it's interesting when people take this perspective. It really brings out something that people often miss. Nintendo doesn't care how many PS4s have been sold. It doesn't really affect them one way or the other. What they're worried about is their own numbers and nothing else. You bought a Wii U? You still get games for it? That's all Nintendo needs to know.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

Black_Dragon_Joe

UGXwolf wrote:

Black_Dragon_Joe wrote:

I think it's interesting when people take this perspective. It really brings out something that people often miss. Nintendo doesn't care how many PS4s have been sold. It doesn't really affect them one way or the other. What they're worried about is their own numbers and nothing else. You bought a Wii U? You still get games for it? That's all Nintendo needs to know.

Ah, but it does. It's rudimentary, but Nintendo is very much effected by it. Not many people have large amounts of money to burn. As such, people, like myself, have to be choosy about what said money is spent on. Do I but game a on wii u or b on Xbox? Nintendo has to take a cut from their 3rd partys, as well as get increased console sales and awareness of their product from someone buying and liking said product.
Now that said, as far as game development goes, Nintendo rocks. They make amazing software so it may come as less of a hit, but it is a hit none the less.

Black_Dragon_Joe

Black_Dragon_Joe

And besides, what console creator wouldn't want their rig to be the go to console for whatever genre a gamer may be itching to play?

Black_Dragon_Joe

LetsGoRetro

LztheQuack wrote:

ekreig wrote:

Pfft, people think the Wii U is a failure? I still live with my mom, at least the Wii U made it to store shelves.

So being on a store shelf makes you a success?

Wow, just wow, pal. You can' t see the JOKE in that post? What is wrong with people?

LetsGoRetro

DefHalan

WaveBoy wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

Not sure if the Wii U is a failure but this thread sure is... why won't it just die???

Based on what's currently available on the PS4 & One, I'd say that they're the failures.

I agree, the most interesting titles on Xbone and PS4 are remasters from last gen lol

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Haru17

DefHalan wrote:

WaveBoy wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

Not sure if the Wii U is a failure but this thread sure is... why won't it just die???

Based on what's currently available on the PS4 & One, I'd say that they're the failures.

I agree, the most interesting titles on Xbone and PS4 are remasters from last gen lol

Let me guess, you don't own a multiplatform console?

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

DefHalan

Haru17 wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

WaveBoy wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

I own the ultimate multiplatform console, PC.

DefHalan

WaveBoy wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

WaveBoy wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

Looks like you've got DOOM covered then.

DOOM was so disappointing

Haru17

DefHalan wrote:

Well, that's not really a console if we're going by, you know, definitions. It is, in fact, a computer that plays multiplatform games, though. So I guess you would know about those releases, if we're to assume you've payed attention.

Still don't see how you came to that conclusion though. It's almost like you haven't been paying attention.

Reznor52

WaveBoy wrote:

Reznor52 wrote:

It's all subjective. For me personally, the wii u is my favorite console hands down and I've owned most of all consoles dating back to the N64 era ( ps4 included). I believe after the wii u lifetime it'll build a cult following much like the movie donnie darko. It flopped in the movie theaters but became incredibly popular later on.
Wii u encompasses all Nintendo everything. It's the only console where you can truly experience and play all games and eras of Nintendo. For examples, I recently purchased earthbound and I freakin love that game now.
The main reason I purchased the wii u besides Nintendo everything was for the ability to play games with friends. It destroys the ps4 and xboxone with local multi-player and online play with having a guest.

The major downside to the Wii U though is that it doesn't exactly have any obscure gems like the wii had and this is all because of the Wii U's terrible near-non existent 3rd party support and lack of game in general.

In retrospect I was wrong specially after this E3. You're right all the way around. I own the gamecube with almost every worthwhile game to have for that console and there is a load of great gems. Resident Evil 1 and 4, viewtiful Joe, paper Mario, rogue squadron, metriod prime 1 and 2, wind waker and Twilight Princess, star Fox adventure, final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, double dash, Melee, animal crossing, sunshine, luigis mansion, pikmin 1 and 2. Unfortunately now it seems the wii u lifespan is going to be very bleak in terms of the amount of great jems. It's sad because I love the wii u but it's not worth investing more cash when it's lifespan will be cut short.... I'm leaning towards selling my wii u everything for a ps4. Which is what I originally did with the wii to ps3; though, the wiis list of games was much more impressive than the wii u at this point. It's like this, I love Nintendo and Nintendo games but with my gamecube collection it nearly cancels out the lack of owning a wii u. Star wars battlefront looked to amazing to not buy it specially now that star Fox zero won't have online multi-player....

Edited on by Reznor52

Reznor52

DefHalan

Haru17 wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

Well, that's not really a console if we're going by, you know, definitions. It is, in fact, a computer that plays multiplatform games, though. So I guess you would know about those releases, if we're to assume you've payed attention.

Still don't see how you came to that conclusion though. It's almost like you haven't been paying attention.

depends on how you define console. I have been paying attention, except I haven't seen Square Enix or PC Conferences yet. The most interesting Xbone and PS4 games are remasters. Horizon was also interesting but that probably won't release before the next E3. I also want to see more from Horizon before I claim it is worth buying a system for. But still the only interesting titles on Xbone and PS4 are remasters from last gen.

Haru17

Yeah, Halan is just a bad troll. Inquisition and Witcher 3 were great. Obviously nothing's topped the Last of Us yet, but that's to be expected. It did launch in 2013, after all.

skywake

Haru17 wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

Who cares what you want to define it as. It's a box that plays games and that's all that matters. So far this E3 there have been quite a number of games for PC. Here's a quick list:

• Dishonored 2
  • Doom
  • Fallout 4
  • Dark Souls 3
  • Tacoma
  • Cuphead (which makes me very happy indeed)
  • Rise of the Tomb Raider (almost certainly)
  • Sea of Thieves (a pirate sim from Rare)
  • Mass Effect Andromeda
  • Need for Speed
  • Rainbow Six Siege
  • Unravel
  • Transformers Devastation (aka "we wish Platinum was doing something else")
  • Mirror's Edge: Catalyst
  • Star Wars Battlefront
  • South Park: The Fractured But Whole (hehe)
  • The Division
  • For Honor
  • Anno 2205
  • Trackmania Turbo
  • Assassin's Creed: Syndicate (yawn)
  • No Man's Sky
  • Hitman
  • Firewatch
  • Final Fantasy 7 (maybe, likely, possibly, I'd presume)
  • Shenmue 3
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..............
  • Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
  • Gears of War: Ultimate Edition (4? maybe. possibly. probably not I'd wager)
  • Metal Gear Solid V

... just a few titles. Just the "multi-platform" games. Also a few that are "only" on PS4 and PC or XBOne and PC. I'd say that over half of the games shown at E3 that aren't coming to PC are on Nintendo platforms. Probably a similar story for the XBOne and PS4. When you say "multiplatform" it's almost just shorthand for "all of the non-Nintendo games" at this point.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Haru17

Yes, let's just not confuse terms. All game systems are computers, but not all of them are consoles. 'Console' is a proprietary home box that a company checks and licenses games for. PCs, computers, don't have that kind of regulation unless you opt into things like Steam, Battle.net, etc.

skywake

Haru17 wrote:

Yes, let's just not confuse terms. All game systems are computers, but not all of them are consoles. 'Console' is a proprietary home box that a company checks and licenses games for. PCs, computers, don't have that kind of regulation unless you opt into things like Steam, Battle.net, etc.

If we're going to be pedantic the "game console" was never about tight DRM, that came further down the road. No they were called game consoles because they were built for playing games and a PC was more of a multifunction device that happened to also play games. So if we're going to be pedantic then the Wii U is the only real "video game console" left because playing games is basically all it does. The others are closer to PCs because they make such a song and dance about their multiple functions. Either way, I don't see what the problem is calling a PC the "ultimate multiplatform console".

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

PaperMario64

ZeroZX-Dev wrote:

Who revived the troll thread? I must smite them.

The thread is more relevant then ever though.

PaperMario64

BattleEnder

Is it a bad console? No, it's actually pretty innovative with it's off-screen play (which Playstation 4 did not hesitate to rip off) and it's a much better console than it's successful predecessor. Nintendo made three mistakes with Wii U.

1. They released it too early. Because of this, the console is almost a year behind PS4 and XBONE in terms of development. Frankly, all of Nintendo's new consoles/handhelds are built just durable enough to 2-4 years, and break down about the same time the next generation becomes available. Nintendo's reliance on it's exclusive games and disregard for the progress other consoles make used to be something they could afford. The problem with this is it just not enough anymore, and with the massive loss of third party support, the library of decent games on the Wii U is tiny. Wii U gets maybe 2 or 3 major releases a year, tops. The rest of the games are indies on the eshop or games on the vc. Of those that are decent, many are single player, are too short, and have no postgame beyond gaining 100% completion. Once the player has completed the game, they have no reason to keep it unless they like replaying. To get the same kind of playtime as a online multiplayer game or a AAA game, you need several of the games typical to the Wii U. Even if Nintendo has innovative controllers, Sony will essentially rip off the idea and do the same thing on the Playstation.

2. They made crappy marketing choices. The reason the Wii sold so well was that it was marketed as a family friendly console. You couldn't go two commercial breaks without seeing an add for the Wii. When the Wii U came out, they arrogantly believed it would sell itself because of the success of the Wii. Needless to say, it absolutely failed.

3. Nintendo just doesn't listen to fans. The make a huge deal about Mario maker and other games that recycle older classics. They pick a few indie games that ultimately will last 10-12 hours at best and make a huge deal about them. If I want to play another godforsaken 2D platformer, I can google one and play it for free. Heck, half of the indie games on the shop have a better interface and a better price on Steam. Take Majora's mask. It's a great game, sure, but why not just release it on the 3DS are part of the VC??? Instead of making a new game, they basically just went back and remade a classic. Same deal with WIndwaker. Frankly I DON'T CARE if it's in HD or how amazingly you remastered it! NOTHING AT ALL was added to the experience other than making it prettier and adding gimmicky Miiverse messages.
If you can go back and release some of the old games on VC, why not all of the popular ones??? HECK, look at the GameCube. The games are LITERALLY designed in 720p, only the GameCube's limitations prevented their being HD. Nintendo is literally sitting on a pile of GREAT HD games. GameCube had dozens, maybe hundreds of AMAZING games. The console was a commercial failure, true, but it has some of the most beloved of all games to date, like WindWaker, Metriod Prime, Paper Mario TTYD, Mario Sunshine, Sonic Adventures 2, Smash Bros Meele, and Luigi's Mansion to name a few. What's more, a lot of their third party, more obscure games were ACTUALLY GOOD!!! And I don't mean 10 hour 2D platformers made by college kids, I mean engaging, well designed 3D games that had unique qualities.

There are probably Amazing games that most have never even HEARD of made for that console.

Copies of these games are now somewhat rare, but it would be a huge success if they were released on the Eshop. I have yet to see any Indie developer on Wii U come up with something that could even compete with the GameCube's library of classics.

Nintendo's eshop has only a handful of decent games, and Nintendo could stuff it full of games that are amazing to this day with minimal effort. They aren't making these games anymore, they're literally sitting on a goldmine and doing NOTHING with it.

The Wii U isn't going to GET as second wind, third party developers and even the company itself have given up on it, Nintendo needs to tap older games. If people want to buy 8-bit Mario games from the 80's with absolutely no enhancement, WHY ON EARTH wouldn't they buy GameCube Games. Heck, take the games, add stuff to them, rip off sprites and make a new game, JUST DO SOMETHING WITH IT!!!!!!!!!!!

BattleEnder

Haru17

skywake wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

If we're going to be pedantic the "game console" was never about tight DRM, that came further down the road. No they were called game consoles because they were built for playing games and a PC was more of a multifunction device that happened to also play games. So if we're going to be pedantic then the Wii U is the only real "video game console" left because playing games is basically all it does. The others are closer to PCs because they make such a song and dance about their multiple functions. Either way, I don't see what the problem is calling a PC the "ultimate multiplatform console".

That criteria for being a console is bunk and you know it. The Wii, Wii U, and 3DS all have internet browser and Netflix apps so are they not consoles and handhelds too? No, they are, they're just multipurpose systems made for the information age. They're still proprietary computers marketed primarily for the purpose of playing games.

This is the closest PCs get to consoles:

Untitled

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.