Forums

Topic: Is the Wii U a failure?

Posts 341 to 360 of 460

Neoproteus

Yeah I'd say late 2016 is the earliest that we should expect to see a successor to the Wii U or 3DS. I still think that the next console is going to be a 2 in 1. Just a beefed up portable that's a bit bigger (like a tablet) or shoving a whole console into the Wii U gamepad, just depends on how you want to look at it. With that kind of design, I wouldn't be surprised to see the gamepad be a form of second controller for the new thing, or to use a Wii U as a streaming device for it (which would be exactly the opposite direction that the Wii U streams video lol).

So what do you all think that the NX will actually be called? I'm thinking NES7.

Neoproteus

unrandomsam

I think what is really needed is good competition against Nintendo doing similar kind of things that Nintendo is.

(Plenty of competition in "mature" games for immature people on the other consoles it is not necessary if that is what you want then it is well served already).

“30fps Is Not a Good Artistic Decision, It's a Failure”
Freedom of the press is for those who happen to own one.

Bolt_Strike

unrandomsam wrote:

I think what is really needed is good competition against Nintendo doing similar kind of things that Nintendo is.

(Plenty of competition in "mature" games for immature people on the other consoles it is not necessary if that is what you want then it is well served already).

IDK if anyone thinks the Nintendo market is big enough to compete in. Maybe Disney could, IDK.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

DefHalan

Bolt_Strike wrote:

unrandomsam wrote:

IDK if anyone thinks the Nintendo market is big enough to compete in. Maybe Disney could, IDK.

Well they are kinda competing in the Toys to Life market.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Haru17

Bolt_Strike wrote:

UGXwolf wrote:

facepalm You're seriously the most dense person I've had any discussion with that wasn't trolling. You actually believe this! For crying out loud, mechanics are a massive part of what make up gameplay. They're something you can't fully understand until you actually play the game.

Mechanics are a massive part of what make up the gameplay, but you can entirely understand them without playing. Mechanics are comparable to the rules of chess, they define what you do and what you can't do.

I mean, yeah, of course. Especially with some Nintendo games. They're pretty simple and easy to understand as games come.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

LzWinky

I disagree. When I watched Hyrule Warriors videos, I didn't think the game was that appealing. When I actually played the game myself, my perception did a complete 180. I loved the game so much that I clocked over 120 hours into it. This is just one example of several where playing a game is different from watching it.

Now to be fair, there are exceptions like 2D Mario.

Edited on by LzWinky

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

CanisWolfred

Haru17 wrote:

Bolt_Strike wrote:

UGXwolf wrote:

facepalm You're seriously the most dense person I've had any discussion with that wasn't trolling. You actually believe this! For crying out loud, mechanics are a massive part of what make up gameplay. They're something you can't fully understand until you actually play the game.

Mechanics are a massive part of what make up the gameplay, but you can entirely understand them without playing. Mechanics are comparable to the rules of chess, they define what you do and what you can't do.

I mean, yeah, of course. Especially with some Nintendo games. They're pretty simple and easy to understand as games come.

Says the second most dense person in this thread. :/ And I can't believe Bolt_strike just downplayed the rules of freakin' chess. Yes, you can understand the basics without playing it, but people have written whole books on the minutia of Chess. There's a lot more to it than most rulebooks manage to cover. He pretty much debunked his own argument right there.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Haru17

CanisWolfred wrote:

Says the second most dense person in this thread. :/

[A plea for the end of personal attacks was once here.]

Edited on by Haru17

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

TOUGHDUDE94

Neoproteus wrote:

Yeah I'd say late 2016 is the earliest that we should expect to see a successor to the Wii U or 3DS. I still think that the next console is going to be a 2 in 1. Just a beefed up portable that's a bit bigger (like a tablet) or shoving a whole console into the Wii U gamepad, just depends on how you want to look at it. With that kind of design, I wouldn't be surprised to see the gamepad be a form of second controller for the new thing, or to use a Wii U as a streaming device for it (which would be exactly the opposite direction that the Wii U streams video lol).

So what do you all think that the NX will actually be called? I'm thinking NES7.

you are close to my idea
1.a handheld/controller system like the 2ds or ps vita layout but with the abilty to take the game on the go or play them at home(remote play just on a bigger and better scale)
2.the console needs to be more powerful than PS4
3.name: NintendoXterme well it uses the NX code name and it has no Wii or u in the title

TOUGHDUDE94

Switch Friend Code: SW-8517-4594-3400 | 3DS Friend Code: 4098-4719-4387 | My Nintendo: TOUGHDUDE | Nintendo Network ID: Andrew1994fl2.0

Bolt_Strike

CanisWolfred wrote:

Says the second most dense person in this thread. :/ And I can't believe Bolt_strike just downplayed the rules of freakin' chess. Yes, you can understand the basics without playing it, but people have written whole books on the minutia of Chess. There's a lot more to it than most rulebooks manage to cover. He pretty much debunked his own argument right there.

I didn't downplay the rules of chess, I downplayed the experience. And just because people have written books on it doesn't mean you need to play them to understand it, in fact that actually supports the idea that you don't. Experiencing the game simply gives you the opportunity to apply the theories and strategies presented.

The entire point is that you don't need to experience certain elements to form an opinion on them, and gameplay mechanics is one of those elements. Gameplay is something that can be easily marketed through videos and advertisements, so you can easily pick up on it before even starting the game.

LztheQuack wrote:

I disagree. When I watched Hyrule Warriors videos, I didn't think the game was that appealing. When I actually played the game myself, my perception did a complete 180. I loved the game so much that I clocked over 120 hours into it. This is just one example of several where playing a game is different from watching it.

Wonderful, detailed example you have there. I didn't like the videos, then I played them and I did. Yep, that sure makes a compelling case for playing a game before forming an opinion.

Thing is, if there's a game I'm not sure about I make sure to do plenty of research on it. I watch gameplay videos, I play the demoes, I look up movesets and gameplay mechanics, I don't tend to write off games without knowing what I'm talking about. So when the game is lacking in an element that I can easily observe, such as gameplay mechanics, there's no need to experience the game to support my decision, it has nothing to do with the issue.

Edited on by Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

LaserdiscGal

Please no personal attacks, keep it on topic people.

LaserdiscGal

3DS Friend Code: 0688-5519-2711 | My Nintendo: pokefraker | Nintendo Network ID: pokefraker

LzWinky

Bolt_Strike wrote:

Thing is, if there's a game I'm not sure about I make sure to do plenty of research on it. I watch gameplay videos, I play the demoes, I look up movesets and gameplay mechanics, I don't tend to write off games without knowing what I'm talking about. So when the game is lacking in an element that I can easily observe, such as gameplay mechanics, there's no need to experience the game to support my decision, it has nothing to do with the issue.

Well at the same time, I've been thoroughly disappointed by games that looked good on videos, but played like crap

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

CanisWolfred

Bolt_Strike wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

I didn't downplay the rules of chess, I downplayed the experience. And just because people have written books on it doesn't mean you need to play them to understand it, in fact that actually supports the idea that you don't. Experiencing the game simply gives you the opportunity to apply the theories and strategies presented.

"A general sense" does not equate to actual experience. This is the big difference you constantly fail to grasp. The minutae is the experience. Those books exist not to be a substitute, but an enhancer of one's experience. Most people who read them are expected to already have played the game. It's an "experience expander" if you will. They learn things they may not have thought of, because it was not obvious or covered in the basics. You can't simply read it and expect to be playing with the big boys if you've never actually played chess before. Because they've probably read the books, too, and they've learned to come up with ways to counter those strategies, perhaps in ways that the books might not have thought of. Just because you've read a book on chess doesn't mean you know the flow of the game, nor do you know how to read not just the board, but your opponent as well...

...and I won't say anymore because I'm getting into hypocritical territory. I haven't played nearly enough chess to say I'm an expert. More I've lost enough chess matches to have a sense for why I'm always losing...

Bolt_Strike wrote:

The entire point is that you don't need to experience certain elements to form an opinion on them, and gameplay mechanics is one of those elements. Gameplay is something that can be easily marketed through videos and advertisements, so you can easily pick up on it before even starting the game.

Okay. But there's a difference between an opinion and an educated opinion. I don't have to put any stock in your opinion of, say, Super Mario 3D World, because you've apparently only watched videos of it (unless circumstances have changed), especialy when I can talk to, say, CaviarMeth, who has played the game for hours, if not to completion. You could only tell me the basics, and the superficial elements, whereas Caviar could tell me what it's like to use the catsuit and accidentally dive towards the wrong wall, only to find a Star hidden at the top of it.

Point being that your opinion is just that, an opinion. Whereas an educated opinion has details and facts that make it more concrete. And that's always most important in a debate or even just trying to give an impression or recommendation.

Bolt_Strike wrote:

LztheQuack wrote:

Wonderful, detailed example you have there. I didn't like the videos, then I played them and I did. Yep, that sure makes a compelling case for playing a game before forming an opinion.

Explain the cat suit in as much detail as you can. A test, if you will.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

larry_koopa

362 replies to this thread. As long as you enjoy the Wii U then why does this even matter to you?? Jeez people.

My game library ranges from Mario Kart to Call of Duty to Tales of Xillia to Diablo 3 to Forza. To me gaming is about having fun - not blindly supporting only one company while thumbing your nose at "the evil other systems."

CanisWolfred

larry_koopa wrote:

362 replies to this thread. As long as you enjoy the Wii U then why does this even matter to you?? Jeez people.

Pretty certain we haven't been on-topic for...at least 300 of those replies.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Bolt_Strike

@CanisWolfred That's fair I guess, the reason it was even brought up was because we were talking about whether or not platformers are stale and several people on here immediately discredited that because of lack of experience. Yeah, you can't really comment on how it feels to use the Cat Suit, but why does that even matter? When something is stale it's usually not because of the experience itself but because of something in the design or formula that's been repeated too much.

Bolt_Strike

BlueSkies

DefHalan wrote:

Nintendo doesn't need to change their software development but instead chase down deals like they did with Bayonetta and Devil's Third (that is what that game is called right?) By publishing mature content, and hopefully by making deals with western developers, they could increase their image just before a new console release in 2017 and continue that trend into the new generation. This is just my idea and I am not saying it is the answer, but if people think a new console will fix everything wrong with Nintendo then they need to re-think what Nintendo's problems really are.

Grabbing franchises is exactly what they don't need to do. The same goes for acquiring large, failing Japanese studios like Capcom or Konami (for franchises). Nintendo needs talent, they need Western talent. Nintendo should expand Retro to create a 'Retro Sports,' and they need to acquire smaller, Western teams like Oddworld, RageQuit, Adhesive, and Bohemia. They need committed second party teams-- not franchise rentals. Paying for an exclusive one-off never gets results. If Nintendo doesn't evolve their development portfolio to create games that appeal to players that buy third party titles, then they will not enjoy third party support.

@UGX_Wolf
The overall experience of a console plays into gamers decisions-- that includes online and controllers. The PS4 is leading because Sony simply took the lead as the social platform of choice. There isn't much difference between the consoles in terms of hardware now that MS removed Kinect from the package, but Sony has become the place for online gaming (especially with its cheaper service). I'm not saying the broader software picture on a console doesn't affect sales but no singular game is selling the PS4-- people are buying all different things. People are certainly choosing not to buy the WiiU because of the broader software picture. Gamers don't like the threat of droughts.

Mario 64 was an amazing game, it was the game to get at launch if you wanted to experience what the N64 was about-- but it was that experience that was the selling point.

On Xbox's 4 year life- No one cared because people were hyped for the 360. People will get hyped once they see what the NX can do.

@Bolt_Strike
I don't think it will be too expensive to outstrip the PS4/X1 three years after their launch. And Nintendo could seriously out-perform them if they stop making systems based on Sony's paradigm with an optical drive. Replace the optical drive with a magnetic disk drive like the N64DD and you no longer need a hdd to install the games onto. A magnetic super-zip drive would lower the cost of the system $50-150. MS and Sony will probably launch their next consoles with 2TB hdds. The size of these hdds is headed in a direction where they will consume half the price of the box. This model of designing a console around a slow-reading optical drive just isn't practical.

Edited on by BlueSkies

BlueSkies

LzWinky

Bolt_Strike wrote:

@CanisWolfred That's fair I guess, the reason it was even brought up was because we were talking about whether or not platformers are stale and several people on here immediately discredited that because of lack of experience. Yeah, you can't really comment on how it feels to use the Cat Suit, but why does that even matter? When something is stale it's usually not because of the experience itself but because of something in the design or formula that's been repeated too much.

By stale are we referring to NSMB or 3D World?

Bolt_Strike

LztheQuack wrote:

Bolt_Strike wrote:

By stale are we referring to NSMB or 3D World?

Both, they both reuse a lot of gameplay elements from the traditional Mario formula.

Bolt_Strike

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.