Forums

Topic: Is the Wii U a failure?

Posts 181 to 200 of 460

BlueSkies

With only 9.5 million units after 2.5 years, there shouldn't be a doubt in anyone's mind that they will launch NX in fall 2016.

BlueSkies

shaneoh

BlueSkies wrote:

With only 9.5 million units after 2.5 years, there shouldn't be a doubt in anyone's mind that they will launch NX in fall 2016.

Your uncle at Nintendo tell you that?

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

BearHunger

shaneoh wrote:

BlueSkies wrote:

Your uncle at Nintendo tell you that?

It's where he got the (geometrically improbable) logo in his avatar!

BearHunger

Nintendo Network ID: Bear_Hunger

LuigiTheGreenFire

Yes, it's a failure. It has been a failure for over 2 years now. I love several of the games I have for the Wii U, but a few great games does not a successful game make.

What Would W. Do?

3DS Friend Code: 3609-1033-1732 | Nintendo Network ID: Wman1996

BlueSkies

If Nintendo had been paying attention they would have realized back in late 2013 this was where the WiiU sales would be today and they would have moved software development over to a new platform for launch by this fall (the prospect of which would have slowed down PS4 and X1). The problem is the WiiU as a product (and its many numbered, nuance issues). They can cut the price and give away Mario Kart 8 with it but it's still the same product (and it's way past time to correct the public image with a redesign and new controller). Nintendo needs to be thinking about selling 10-20 million units in one year.

They have to have a product with a positive image-- that has to do with everything from their online support to acquiring Western second parties to guarantee software.

BlueSkies

shaneoh

BlueSkies wrote:

If Nintendo had been paying attention they would have realized back in late 2013 this was where the WiiU sales would be today and they would have moved software development over to a new platform for launch by this fall (the prospect of which would have slowed down PS4 and X1). The problem is the WiiU as a product (and its many numbered, nuance issues). They can cut the price and give away Mario Kart 8 with it but it's still the same product (and it's way past time to correct the public image with a redesign and new controller). Nintendo needs to be thinking about selling 10-20 million units in one year.

They have to have a product with a positive image-- that has to do with everything from their online support to acquiring Western second parties to guarantee software.

1. Late 2013? You mean decide within the six weeks left of the year to discontinue the Wii U?
2. How many p!%%ed off people would there have been if they decided to discontinue the console so soon? Do you think that all those people would be happy to throw several hundred more dollars at ANOTHER Nintendo console after getting shafted?
3. You expect them to go through the design, prototypes, testing, manufacturing, distributing, game developing, and hundred other steps required in launching a console to be done in the space of three years, and expect a quality console out of it? Not to mention the loses they'd make from prematurely discontinuing the Wii U to focus all their efforts on making this new console.
4. So they've discontinued developing games for the Wii, there will be very few games for the Wii U as they are developing for their new console, and if you don't already have one, what's the point in buying a new console, and you expect anticipation of this to STALL the PS4 and XBOX One?
5. The Wii U is a fine product, I'm sure the issues you perceive it to have are based on personal preference as opposed to genuine faults with the console.

I'm sure there are plenty of other points I could have made, but I have games to play on my Wii U.

skywake

HollywoodHogan wrote:

I've owned a Wii U since day one, MK8 since the day it came out, and first played MK back in 1992/93 on my SNES and can whole heartedly say that all of the MK games post-N64 have basically played the "same", i.e. racing karts on a 3D track shooting items at opponents.

It takes some real mental gymnastics to believe that these games aren't formulaic and essentially all the "same" except for an added tweak (2 riders on a cart, bikes, anti-gravity, etc) here or there. MK8 is not unique, and I think anyone who has played MK7 or MK Wii could justifiably critique MK8 based on hands-on experience with those previous games. It's a good/great game, but it is based on a tried and true formula.

By this logic anyone who has played the original Halo knows what all its sequels are like and can go on forums judging them. Anyone who has played Vice City knows what GTA is like and can therefore go and rant about how they don't need a PS4 to play GTA5. You've played the original Portal? Well cool, can you write a review of Portal 2 for us without playing the game?

Mario Kart 8 isn't Mario Kart 7. You can't tell how good it is based on having played previous versions. And I say this as someone who has also played them all (bar Double Dash) right back to when Super Mario Kart was my favourite game as a kid. Mario Kart has always been about the tracks and frankly the tracks in Mario Kart 8 are easily the best in the series. Mario Kart 7's tracks were good but not particularly ambitious, Mario Kart Wii's tracks were largely not very technical. Mario Kart 8? All of the tracks are quality. Plus you have 50% more of them if you get the DLC.

Super Mario 3D World if you are an outsider you can look at it as 3D Land "in HD". But it's not. I loved 3D Land and I'll admit that I was a little bit over Mario by the time 3D World came out. However the game is orders of magnitude better. Again it's no Galaxy but to be fair it's not really trying to be Galaxy. For lack of a better description it's almost like every level is a puzzle combined with an art installation on a conveyor-belt. It's Mario for sure but you don't quite understand what it exactly is unless you've played it.

Pikmin 3 is another one that on the surface you could say "been there, done that". But again, they've changed it enough that it's not formulaic at all. Now Pikmin 2 I haven't played but I believe it also had the multi-tasking aspects. I wouldn't know how much it has improved from then. However going from the original to 3? That's a huge change in the way the game plays. Especially given that you now have a full view of the map on the GamePad. It was less a game about sending the Pikmin on their way and more a game about setting waypoints for your characters so they could manage their Pikmin.

Hell I'd argue that the most formulaic games that defines the Wii U would be Bayonetta 2. Having played both of them it's pretty much the same mechanics. The main difference between the two is that the story is entirely different. Plus who doesn't want an excuse to kick some more angels in the face? And yeah, Smash Bros is even more literally exactly the same game. But there's no way you're going to convince me that circle-pad, tiny screen by yourself is the best way to play Smash. But those are the two Wii U games I'd conceded you can understand without having played those particular versions.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

UGXwolf

HollywoodHogan wrote:

UGXwolf wrote:

HollywoodHogan wrote:

Rin-go wrote:

@skywake
It seems that those, who criticize the Wii U the most often don't even own one. How someone can say they know how Mario Kart 8 plays, because they played the seven Mario Karts before it is beyond me. How would you know, when you haven't even tried it?

I've owned a Wii U since day one, MK8 since the day it came out, and first played MK back in 1992/93 on my SNES and can whole heartedly say that all of the MK games post-N64 have basically played the "same", i.e. racing karts on a 3D track shooting items at opponents.

It takes some real mental gymnastics to believe that these games aren't formulaic and essentially all the "same" except for an added tweak (2 riders on a cart, bikes, anti-gravity, etc) here or there.

MK8 is not unique, and I think anyone who has played MK7 or MK Wii could justifiably critique MK8 based on hands-on experience with those previous games.

It's a good/great game, but it is based on a tried and true formula.

If by "formula" you mean "A to go, left and right to steer, item button, drift button, trick button" then yes. If you expect a racing game to not at its core still be a racing game, Mario Kart will naturally disappoint you, but here's the thing, you put in the same control input in MK Wii and MK8 on the same turn in the same track and you can expect that one will make the turn and the other won't.

When a game is this focused on the gameplay, you can't focus on something as broad as "3D track, items, racing" or you'll completely miss the point. Anti-gravity is a bit of a game changer. Not a total game changer, but a bit of one. So is the super horn, the inability to hold two items, the lack of a strong Battle Mode, and now 200cc. I'm not saying it's like you're not even playing a Mario Kart game, but it's more than different enough to not fall under "I've played 7, so I've played 8." It doesn't take mental gymnastics. It just takes playing one, then playing the other. They're similar, but not the same. Based on the same formula, but still not the same game by any means.

How is anti-gravity a "game changer"?

The screen/your POV remains exactly the same whether or not you are driving upside down or not. The only thing that changes is the position of objects in the back ground. You can drive on the sides of some tracks too, but those situations only comprise less than 5-10% of a lap.

I love all MK games. owned nearly all of them and enjoyed MK8 (but I am burnt out on it, even with the DLC) but I can admit that they are basically the same.

200cc? It makes the karts go faster and its tricky steering until you get the hang of it, but it is still the same game. It's just an added option like throwing a new type of gun into a FPS game.

Since MK64, I've probably played each subsequent MK game less than the previous release. Same goes for the GTA games since Vice City. They are all basically the same formula with a couple new bells and whistles. Doesn't make them bad or not worth playing, but lets not pretend that they are reinvesting the wheel with each game and that they are all unique experiences.

To put it one way, going into Anti-grav is a lot like driving on ice, except when you bump into other players or obstacles, rather than losing speed, you get a speed boost. It's one of those minor things that can make a big difference in some areas and none at all in others. It also allowed for more interesting track designs, hence why I called it only a BIT of a game changer and not a total one. Left is still left, right is still right, A is still go, but you approach other racers different if you're playing smart. (Or if you're playing against CPUs and have the capacity to play smart, you're either miles ahead or getting item wrecked, which is another issue altogether.)

What you're missing is that I'm not claiming any single thing makes it all different, I'm claiming the combination of things makes it different enough. Different enough that I don't approach 7 and 8 in the same way, and I'm no competitive player. To me, claiming that MKWii and MK8 play the same is like claiming Melee and Smash 4 play the same. To a degree you're right, but anyone that plays the games with any kind of frequency will know there's more to it. Or maybe I'm the only one that has found that they can't play one Mario Kart right after certain other ones without taking a few races to adjust my playstyle?

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

UGXwolf

Bolt_Strike wrote:

I'm not sure I agree that Mario Kart is formulaic. The twists don't really feel as gimmicky since the game as a whole tends to make use of them and require a different strategy or approach. Tricking, multiple vehicle types, and antigravity completely change the way you think throughout the game. If there's any games guilty of being too formulaic, it's the platformers (NSMB and Tropical Freeze most notably), because you don't get this same sense that you have to think about the level differently. Most of what they change from game to game basically amounts to gimmicks that only come into play for a handful of levels, so you're not really seeing the new stuff enough to affect the entire experience and the additions come off more as being DLC stretched into an entire game instead of a unique, standalone game.

Naturally, I will concede that NSMB is formulaic because... well that's kinda the point. Of course it's formulaic. The whole point of the series is so Nintendo has a go-to that they can whip out extremely fast for cases where they really need a game NOW. It makes a wonderful launch title, it's always high quality, even if it's low innovation, and that suits the series just fine. All you need to do is create a new set of levels, makes a few cutscenes to explain some framework of a story, and VIOLA! Brand new game, ready for the public. Nintendo proved this when they released 2-and-a-half NSMB games is a very short period of time at the beginning of the generation (NSMB2, NSMBU, NSLU). However, no one's hoisting up NSMBU as if it justifies the console. It's a wonderful game, but nothing special. 3D World and Tropical Freeze on the other hand don't fall under that. 3D World is anything but formulaic, and Tropical Freeze doesn't really follow the formula of Returns like you claim it does. (Again, I've played both games. It's not like I've only played TF and want everyone to think I know what I'm talking about.) Tropical Freeze does exactly what you just suggested. It allows you to look at the level design a different way. Sure, the basic platforming is designed around DK, but then there's the bonus stuff that isn't. There's a lot of secrets that you have to play close attention to find, and anything that can be linked back to DKCR was done almost twice as well in Tropical Freeze. (There's some argument to be had about the decision of placing Bopopolis so early in the game.)

For the hundredth time, DKCTF is NOT formulaic. They aren't playing catch up to the original series. And it's not a waste of developer talent, but if you think so, you can go take that up with Retro themselves, since they CHOSE to do Tropical Freeze. Of course, then you're kinda out of your league, huh? A gamer arguing with game developers about how to design games? Someone who consumes games as a hobby vs. people who design them for a career. That's all hypothetical, of course. I can't speak for Retro. Maybe you should ask them and let them speak for themselves? They can probably tell you more about what makes Tropical Freeze non-formulaic than anyone on this forum ever could.

skywake

BlueSkies wrote:

If Nintendo had been paying attention they would have realized back in late 2013 this was where the WiiU sales would be today and they would have moved software development over to a new platform for launch by this fall

Who's to say that their next platform is a hit? Particularly if they launch it at a point when the PS4 is only just starting to get it's generation defining titles. People seem to have this impression that the cost of making a console is spread out evenly over the life of the product. It's not. The profits lean heavily towards the tail of the console while the costs are well and truly weighted towards the launch side of things. People also seem to think that platforms live in isolation from each other. That's also a load of crap, where Sony is with the PS4 will dictate entirely what their competitors are able to do.

They've ALREADY paid for the Wii U to a large extent. They're going to want to milk it for what it's worth towards the end of its life. The same will be true with their next platform, the costs will be weighted towards the early life of the product. Dropping out early is high risk and Nintendo have enough capital that they don't need to take that risk. A risk that's unlikely to pay off if the PS4 keeps going on the trajectory it is.

By comparison there's the 3DS. It has effectively no competition in terms of dedicated portable gaming hardware. It has made them a lot of money and it's ageing. I doubt that it can push that much beyond the 50mill units it's at, it's certaintly not going to get to 100mill let alone the 150mill that the DS hit. At it's peak the DS was hitting 30mill units a year, the 3DS hit 15mill and is now under 10mill.

If they released another portable late next year that was reasonably priced, a bit more powerful and had one killer piece of software. That'd be enough for gamers to be lining up. They could easily be upto 15mill, 20mill in the first full year. Another home-console? People have already shown they're not going to spend a few hundred bucks just for Smash or Kart, how does that change if the price for entry is now even higher? The Wii U already does those things.

Edited on by skywake

UGXwolf

BlueSkies wrote:

@Shaneoh basically said everything for me. I just want to save you the headache of reading and tell you the base concept that you know absolutely nothing about how R&D, marketing, consumer confidence, or the gaming industry as a whole works. Your ideas are so flawed, I could write an entire college paper on how wrong everything you said was, but I have games to go play, so I'll let this demotivational say it for me.

Untitled

Bolt_Strike

UGXwolf wrote:

3D World and Tropical Freeze on the other hand don't fall under that. 3D World is anything but formulaic, and Tropical Freeze doesn't really follow the formula of Returns like you claim it does. (Again, I've played both games. It's not like I've only played TF and want everyone to think I know what I'm talking about.) Tropical Freeze does exactly what you just suggested. It allows you to look at the level design a different way. Sure, the basic platforming is designed around DK, but then there's the bonus stuff that isn't. There's a lot of secrets that you have to play close attention to find, and anything that can be linked back to DKCR was done almost twice as well in Tropical Freeze. (There's some argument to be had about the decision of placing Bopopolis so early in the game.)

No, they don't. 3D World and Tropical Freeze follow the same formula as their predecessors and have numerous and specific similarities to their predecessors. They use the same level structure from game to game and you progress the exact same way, many of the same characters that largely have minor differences in movement as opposed to distinct abilities and use the same abilities that have been recycled ad nauseum, minimal excuse plots that recycle the same plot elements, and nothing that affects the entire game, just a handful of levels. For everything the games do to try and mix things up, they do twice as much the same as every other game in the series.

Edited on by Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

UGXwolf

Bolt_Strike wrote:

UGXwolf wrote:

3D World and Tropical Freeze on the other hand don't fall under that. 3D World is anything but formulaic, and Tropical Freeze doesn't really follow the formula of Returns like you claim it does. (Again, I've played both games. It's not like I've only played TF and want everyone to think I know what I'm talking about.) Tropical Freeze does exactly what you just suggested. It allows you to look at the level design a different way. Sure, the basic platforming is designed around DK, but then there's the bonus stuff that isn't. There's a lot of secrets that you have to play close attention to find, and anything that can be linked back to DKCR was done almost twice as well in Tropical Freeze. (There's some argument to be had about the decision of placing Bopopolis so early in the game.)

No, they don't. 3D World and Tropical Freeze follow the same formula as their predecessors and have numerous and specific similarities to their predecessors. They use the same level structure from game to game and you progress the exact same way, many of the same characters that largely have minor differences in movement as opposed to distinct abilities and use the same abilities that have been recycled ad nauseum, minimal excuse plots that recycle the same plot elements, and nothing that affects the entire game, just a handful of levels. For everything the games do to try and mix things up, they do twice as much the same as every other game in the series.

Name one sequel that doesn't do the majority of its things the same as other games in the same series, yet still remained a good game, loved by its original audience as well as its new one. For this, I mean successors. Games in which it is clear by the title and gameplay that isn't not just part of the franchise, but is directly influenced by the last game in the series. So for instance, Prime doesn't count, but Prime 2 and 3 do because Prime was intended to be something completely different and wasn't directly associated with other Metroid games other than in story line (which is was later considered non-canon for, anyways.) I can admit that earlier Mario games changed things up a lot more than more recent ones, but that's due to the graphical and software capabilities of the consoles at the time progressing rapidly. Now we're at a point where hardware needs to progress an insane amount to make a noticeable effect on the games that can be designed from it. 3D World takes the 3D Land concept and expands it into something far, FAR better, but if you're going to just say "it's still a point-A-to-point-B platformer" we may as well just say that Metroid Prime 2 was the same game with a different map and slightly new abilities that overall affect the core gameplay very, very little.

You really don't see how hypocritical you are when it comes to this subject. Show me a way shooters have progressed over the past five years that is more monumental than how Platformers have progressed. Show me a way Puzzle games or RPGs have progressed that other games haven't been able to do. Or Racing games. You simplify Platformers to the point that if we were to do the same to all games, we may as well have less than 20 games in the known universe.

What you see as lack of innovation, I see as perfecting something that was already amazing. I'd say why fix what isn't broken, but they did fix it, anyways. Specifically talking about TF and DKCR, they tweaked the system to not making the game feel broken and unfair. DKCR had multiple moments where it just seemed like the game expected way too much of the player on sightread. Trial-and-error isn't fun, at least not in that way. Maybe there's a way to do it right, but this isn't one of them. (This gets into a whole other discussion about game difficulty and when you've crossed the line between deliciously difficult and ball-bustingly hard. I'm ranting enough as it is, so I'll let someone else bring this up if they want to go there.)

What Tropical Freeze does to switch up the formula is more than enough to make it feel fresh, and if you don't believe me, just ask anyone that's played it and given it a fair chance. Odds are pretty good they're gonna agree with me. Oh, but you did, and they did, and yet here you are, disagreeing with people who have experience where you have none about something you don't know anything about pretending you do.

For the millionth time, seeing the game and playing the game are two very different things. If you don't want to play the game, fine. Don't go bashing it just because it's not your kind of game.

Haru17

I mean, SM 64, Ocarina of Time, Paper Mario, Metal Gear Solid, Metal Gear Solid 3, SM Sunshine, Double Dash... sorta, SM 3D World, The Last of Us (if you consider it Uncharted turning into a survival horror, which it basically is). Uhhhh, the first DK Country thing, Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga, Super Paper Mario (there's a lot of Mario games, etc.)

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Bolt_Strike

UGXwolf wrote:

Now we're at a point where hardware needs to progress an insane amount to make a noticeable effect on the games that can be designed from it. 3D World takes the 3D Land concept and expands it into something far, FAR better, but if you're going to just say "it's still a point-A-to-point-B platformer" we may as well just say that Metroid Prime 2 was the same game with a different map and slightly new abilities that overall affect the core gameplay very, very little.

It goes beyond just being an A to B platformer it's:

-Recycling the exact same moveset from game to game
-Characters not having distinct abilities and only differing in how they move (speed and jump height)
-Every game having a minimalist plot involving a kidnapping of some sorts
-The only significant changes in gameplay from game to game being level gimmicks and new powerups

And no, I'm not oversimplifying anything. The minor differences in physics do not change how the player's thought process, they still look at one jump the same as another. As opposed to something like Metroid where different abilities have you think and act differently, even if the end result just amounts to glorified keys. The two scenarios aren't equivalent.

UGXwolf wrote:

You really don't see how hypocritical you are when it comes to this subject. Show me a way shooters have progressed over the past five years that is more monumental than how Platformers have progressed. Show me a way Puzzle games or RPGs have progressed that other games haven't been able to do. Or Racing games. You simplify Platformers to the point that if we were to do the same to all games, we may as well have less than 20 games in the known universe.

I already mentioned Mario Kart above. The Prime games routinely create new abilities in each game. Pokemon, which people constantly complain about for being too formulaic (primarily because of how it handles gyms and the plot), actually develops its battle, communication, and overworld mechanics from generation to generation.

UGXwolf wrote:

What you see as lack of innovation, I see as perfecting something that was already amazing. I'd say why fix what isn't broken, but they did fix it, anyways. Specifically talking about TF and DKCR, they tweaked the system to not making the game feel broken and unfair. DKCR had multiple moments where it just seemed like the game expected way too much of the player on sightread. Trial-and-error isn't fun, at least not in that way. Maybe there's a way to do it right, but this isn't one of them. (This gets into a whole other discussion about game difficulty and when you've crossed the line between deliciously difficult and ball-bustingly hard. I'm ranting enough as it is, so I'll let someone else bring this up if they want to go there.)

The "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mentality doesn't work with video games. Entertainment by nature diminishes with repetition, so really it breaks itself over time by becoming stale and overused.

UGXwolf wrote:

What Tropical Freeze does to switch up the formula is more than enough to make it feel fresh, and if you don't believe me, just ask anyone that's played it and given it a fair chance. Odds are pretty good they're gonna agree with me. Oh, but you did, and they did, and yet here you are, disagreeing with people who have experience where you have none about something you don't know anything about pretending you do.

The gameplay isn't fresh until they do something along the lines of giving the Kongs new moves, having their abilities used in the level more often (and not just for speed runs, I mean something like having more spike pits that require Cranky's cane jump for example), creating some type of new barrel or similar item, these are the kinds of changes I'm looking for in a sequel but the recent platformers fail to offer. Something that draws from unique abilities and actions on a game wide scale. Unfortunately none of the 2D platformers are doing this, they're content to either recycle previous gameplay mechanics or keep the new ones to a minimum.

UGXwolf wrote:

For the millionth time, seeing the game and playing the game are two very different things. If you don't want to play the game, fine. Don't go bashing it just because it's not your kind of game.

No, they're not, not in the sense of being able to determine whether or not you the game requires a different approach or line of thinking. You can tell immediately when they thrown some kind of twist on the gameplay. And none of the 2D platformers have done this.

Edited on by Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Undead_terror

It`s a doomed console, point and laugh at the fan boys who think it`s a good system, kick them in the shins while you use their Wii U`s as door stops and use the game disc`s as toilet paper, don`t forget to use the amiibo`s as fire starters! PC mustard race!

Sp00ky scary skeleton back to play games and dew other fine things indead!
The Graveyard (Backloggery) l Nintendo ID: Undead_terror

Switch Friend Code: SW-8251-5734-1036 | 3DS Friend Code: 5198-2878-6360 | My Nintendo: Undead_terror | Nintendo Network ID: Undead_terror | Twitter:

skywake

Undead_terror wrote:

It`s a doomed console, point and laugh at the fan boys who think it`s a good system, kick them in the shins while you use their Wii U`s as door stops and use the game disc`s as toilet paper, don`t forget to use the amiibo`s as fire starters! PC mustard race!

Well maybe if they actually owned one they could....

Undead_terror

skywake wrote:

Undead_terror wrote:

No worries, we could go dumpster diving and get ya a Wii U for free!, then we will make you a Wii U slim, you would be a popular kind of guy with a one of a kind Wii U! as for shins I would have to work on getting you one...

Sp00ky scary skeleton back to play games and dew other fine things indead!
The Graveyard (Backloggery) l Nintendo ID: Undead_terror

Switch Friend Code: SW-8251-5734-1036 | 3DS Friend Code: 5198-2878-6360 | My Nintendo: Undead_terror | Nintendo Network ID: Undead_terror | Twitter:

Haru17

skywake wrote:

Undead_terror wrote:

I love how, now, some attempt is going on here to try to shame / pressure me into dropping $300+ on another machine. No wonder corporations run rampant.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

shaneoh

Bolt_Strike wrote:

-Recycling the exact same moveset from game to game
-Characters not having distinct abilities and only differing in how they move (speed and jump height)
-Every game having a minimalist plot involving a kidnapping of some sorts
-The only significant changes in gameplay from game to game being level gimmicks and new powerups

You do realise that the powerups are the different movesets? Mario and Super Mario are not supposed to be able to do anything other than run and jump. Should Nintendo just give Mario a hammer, Luigi some boxing gloves, and the Toads a gun that they can use at any time? Or maybe only parts of a level can be accessed by one particular character? What happens when several people are playing? Are they forced to wait because Mario can't go through the poison area while Luigi can? As for story, platformers don't need Deus Ex levels of story, the briefest outline of a plot is sufficient.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.