Forums

Topic: Is the Wii U a failure?

Posts 161 to 180 of 460

UGXwolf

Haru17 wrote:

UGXwolf wrote:

Oh, God, this is the Bolt_Strike argument all over again! When will people figure out that they don't know how a game plays if they haven't played it? Just because you THINK you can tell how it plays based on how previous ones have played doesn't mean you KNOW anything, and in this particular case, you'd only actually be right about NSMBU playing a hell of a lot like the other NSMB games (but better.)

As I recall it, Bolt_Strike was passing judgment on specific games without having played them. I haven't reviewed any particular Wii U game (that I haven't already played on a different system.) I'm commenting mainly on the library and the general first party selection. I'm honest about what interests me and the only potential killer app I see for Wii U (for me) is Zelda U, or Monster Hunter 3U if I hadn't already played 100s of hours of that game on Wii and then 3DS.

I have never played Mario Kart Wii, but I have played 64, Double Dash, Gamecube, Wii, 3DS, and seen plenty of 8 so don't even tell me that I have no idea what it plays like. It's Mario Kart M8! There's not much ambiguity there, lol.

UGXwolf wrote:

As a counter, you're very guilty of the "Fallacy fallacy," which is when a person assumes that because the opponent committed a fallacy that their argument holds no weight.

Nope, I just disagree with you twice

And again, to reiterate for the 100th time, I never said the Wii U was a failure.

I didn't say you said the Wii U was a failure. That was never part of my argument. And yes, you have been passing judgement on specific games as in a previous comment, you stated that you already know what those games (Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8, so on, so forth) play like because you've played their predecessors, which many of us have responded with pointing out that they don't play as much like their previous counterparts as you suggest. Sure, it's not as different as Forza and Crash Team Racing, but it's still a very different beast.

Once again, this seems to come down to whether you focus on gameplay or theme, and when dealing with games that focus on gameplay, it makes far more sense to pay attention to the gameplay, no? Yeah, in the end, Mario Kart is and will always be a racing game with items to add some chaotic fun to what would otherwise be a mediocre racing game, but that's not where these games shine. Ever noticed how people have such differing opinions about which Mario Kart is best and why and how? Maybe that's because from a gameplay standpoint, some of them play nothing like the others.

If you go into Mario Kart 7 playing it like you would Mario Kart: Super Circuit, you're gonna find the controls too tight and precise. If you go into Mario Kart Wii expecting Double Dash controls, you're gonna look as confused as you feel. Those minor tweaks and balances you and countless other non-players shrug off as making no difference actually make a very big difference from a gameplay perspective. You can keep trying to argue that it doesn't, but in the end, it really does, not that you would know this, as you haven't played it. Adding a new item or power-up, changing the way a jump or drift handles, tightening up the steering during one action while loosening it in another, these things all make a very big difference to the player because while the game may LOOK the same, it doesn't PLAY the same, and as these are GAMES we're talking about, how the game PLAYS is a very big deal, since that's the one part of this medium that's exclusive to this medium.

As I always like to point out, the graphics are a great bonus, the soundtrack makes me fall in love with a game, the story can keep me hooked into the world and the theming or choices may be something I've never seen before, but nothing can make a game good, if the gameplay is bad. It's just that simple. Bad gameplay = bad game. (Again, don't mistake bad gameplay for weak or thin gameplay. It's how the gameplay is used that matters. Not how strong it is.)

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

UGXwolf

CaviarMeths wrote:

So a couple hundred posts in.

"Is the Wii U a failure?"

Wii U owners: "No."
Non Wii U owners: "Yes."

Chalk this up as a wash, I guess.

There's a much more accurate answer, though. As a business move and from a sales perspective, the Wii U is a failure. From a gamer's perspective, it's not a failure.

skywake

Haru17 wrote:

Ad hominems all day, 'ereday. Anyway, I know how Nintendo franchises play, I've given them hundreds of dollars just in 8th gen alone. And I'm not 'trashing' anything, only discussing. Try smarter not harder if you want to vilify me.

But you don't own a Wii U so you shouldn't be commenting on how good or not the games in its library are. Simple as that. Sure it's an ad-hominem technically but it's also the only instance where it's ok to use an ad-hominem. You have a vested interest, for lack of a better term, in thinking the Wii U isn't worth your money. You're sitting there trying to justify your non-purchase of it by saying it has nothing to offer.

And you may counter by saying that the people who do own it are doing the reverse. Which there is some merit to. However the people who own the thing have at least played the games. Not to mention that if I was to be defensive of anything because of money invested into it? It'd be my PC not my Wii U. If anything I should be sitting here complaining about shadow resolution in Mario Kart 8. But nope, I'm here saying that I'm enjoying my Wii U more. Fancy that.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

GrailUK

I have no idea how to quantify the question as it is far too general. Does it encourage young people to become blasé about a lot of social and moral issues? No? Oh dear.....failed.

Edited on by GrailUK

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

Haru17

UGXwolf wrote:

Adding a new item or power-up, changing the way a jump or drift handles, tightening up the steering during one action while loosening it in another, these things all make a very big difference to the player because while the game may LOOK the same, it doesn't PLAY the same, and as these are GAMES we're talking about, how the game PLAYS is a very big deal, since that's the one part of this medium that's exclusive to this medium.

Again, I don't recall debating the minute steering controls in Mario Kart 8, nor the particular levels in Tropical Freeze. I just reply to others in these big, overly broad, stupid OT threads and end up having interesting off topic discussions about platformers or old games or, I dunno, control preferences.

Sequels are usually much of the same. Sure, some change things drastically, but Nintendo games outside of Zelda, 3D Mario, and their few other largely dynamic series are generally consistent / predictable. When it comes down to it, Mario Kart and Smash's trajectories aren't hugely different from Pokemon's unless you're trying to be a pro gamer and fixate on nuances as a world of difference. Entropy, basically.

Mario Kart 7 is Mario Kart Wii is DS is Double Dash is 64 therefore Mario Kart 8 is going to be the same thing. I've been around the block; it looks prettier, it has new thing; I get it. I'd have to be some sort of photosynthetic organism that literally doesn't have a brain to not catch on by now. 200cc means the B button finally gets used; swell, I know how to break

Edited on by Haru17

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

cloudrunner64

To me its only failed in utilizing the gamepad more. Even the PS has a touch pad now so i at least thought that developers would be coming up with new intuitive ways of playing.

PSN cloud_runner64

HollywoodHogan

Rin-go wrote:

@skywake
It seems that those, who criticize the Wii U the most often don't even own one. How someone can say they know how Mario Kart 8 plays, because they played the seven Mario Karts before it is beyond me. How would you know, when you haven't even tried it?

I've owned a Wii U since day one, MK8 since the day it came out, and first played MK back in 1992/93 on my SNES and can whole heartedly say that all of the MK games post-N64 have basically played the "same", i.e. racing karts on a 3D track shooting items at opponents.

It takes some real mental gymnastics to believe that these games aren't formulaic and essentially all the "same" except for an added tweak (2 riders on a cart, bikes, anti-gravity, etc) here or there.

MK8 is not unique, and I think anyone who has played MK7 or MK Wii could justifiably critique MK8 based on hands-on experience with those previous games.

It's a good/great game, but it is based on a tried and true formula.

Friend to all SJW's

UGXwolf

HollywoodHogan wrote:

Rin-go wrote:

@skywake
It seems that those, who criticize the Wii U the most often don't even own one. How someone can say they know how Mario Kart 8 plays, because they played the seven Mario Karts before it is beyond me. How would you know, when you haven't even tried it?

I've owned a Wii U since day one, MK8 since the day it came out, and first played MK back in 1992/93 on my SNES and can whole heartedly say that all of the MK games post-N64 have basically played the "same", i.e. racing karts on a 3D track shooting items at opponents.

It takes some real mental gymnastics to believe that these games aren't formulaic and essentially all the "same" except for an added tweak (2 riders on a cart, bikes, anti-gravity, etc) here or there.

MK8 is not unique, and I think anyone who has played MK7 or MK Wii could justifiably critique MK8 based on hands-on experience with those previous games.

If by "formula" you mean "A to go, left and right to steer, item button, drift button, trick button" then yes. If you expect a racing game to not at its core still be a racing game, Mario Kart will naturally disappoint you, but here's the thing, you put in the same control input in MK Wii and MK8 on the same turn in the same track and you can expect that one will make the turn and the other won't.

When a game is this focused on the gameplay, you can't focus on something as broad as "3D track, items, racing" or you'll completely miss the point. Anti-gravity is a bit of a game changer. Not a total game changer, but a bit of one. So is the super horn, the inability to hold two items, the lack of a strong Battle Mode, and now 200cc. I'm not saying it's like you're not even playing a Mario Kart game, but it's more than different enough to not fall under "I've played 7, so I've played 8." It doesn't take mental gymnastics. It just takes playing one, then playing the other. They're similar, but not the same. Based on the same formula, but still not the same game by any means.

HollywoodHogan

UGXwolf wrote:

HollywoodHogan wrote:

Rin-go wrote:

@skywake

If by "formula" you mean "A to go, left and right to steer, item button, drift button, trick button" then yes. If you expect a racing game to not at its core still be a racing game, Mario Kart will naturally disappoint you, but here's the thing, you put in the same control input in MK Wii and MK8 on the same turn in the same track and you can expect that one will make the turn and the other won't.

When a game is this focused on the gameplay, you can't focus on something as broad as "3D track, items, racing" or you'll completely miss the point. Anti-gravity is a bit of a game changer. Not a total game changer, but a bit of one. So is the super horn, the inability to hold two items, the lack of a strong Battle Mode, and now 200cc. I'm not saying it's like you're not even playing a Mario Kart game, but it's more than different enough to not fall under "I've played 7, so I've played 8." It doesn't take mental gymnastics. It just takes playing one, then playing the other. They're similar, but not the same. Based on the same formula, but still not the same game by any means.

How is anti-gravity a "game changer"?

The screen/your POV remains exactly the same whether or not you are driving upside down or not. The only thing that changes is the position of objects in the back ground. You can drive on the sides of some tracks too, but those situations only comprise less than 5-10% of a lap.

I love all MK games. owned nearly all of them and enjoyed MK8 (but I am burnt out on it, even with the DLC) but I can admit that they are basically the same.

200cc? It makes the karts go faster and its tricky steering until you get the hang of it, but it is still the same game. It's just an added option like throwing a new type of gun into a FPS game.

Since MK64, I've probably played each subsequent MK game less than the previous release. Same goes for the GTA games since Vice City. They are all basically the same formula with a couple new bells and whistles. Doesn't make them bad or not worth playing, but lets not pretend that they are reinvesting the wheel with each game and that they are all unique experiences.

Friend to all SJW's

GrailUK

I play Mario Kart 8 with my nephew. I can sit there all smug thinking, bah, it's not F-Zero, or be blasé about it because it really is the same as Mario Kart Wii. But my nephew is playing it like I played the Snes version and loving it. He's played the Snes version and he pretty much says everything I used to say when my dad tried to get me to watch black and white films. Gave me a sense of perspective lol.

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

Haru17

UGXwolf wrote:

When a game is this focused on the gameplay, you can't focus on something as broad as "3D track, items, racing" or you'll completely miss the point.

Well, yes, 3D track, items, and racing, but moreover 2-stage drifting, start boosting, falling off the track, combat items, the same recurring combat items, the same characters, kart-building RPG elements, battle mode with 3 lives, etc, etc, etc. Mario Kart 8 looks better, that's the biggest change, really. Double Dash was the last game that was very different, and maybe DS if you're looking at modes.

Anti-gravity is a bit of a game changer. Not a total game changer, but a bit of one. So is the super horn, the inability to hold two items, the lack of a strong Battle Mode, and now 200cc.

Lol, literally every review echoed H. Hogan's nonplussedness at antigrav. It looks nice and maybe the track designs are a bit freer now, but at the end of the day you're still racing on flat pavement under gravity.

/quote]I'm not saying it's like you're not even playing a Mario Kart game, but it's more than different enough to not fall under "I've played 7, so I've played 8." It doesn't take mental gymnastics. It just takes playing one, then playing the other. They're similar, but not the same. Based on the same formula, but still not the same game by any means.

[/quote]

No one said they were the same, just very similar. That was my entire contention.

unrandomsam

Very similar is better than basically all the Xbox One games I tried (A stack of about 10) all which had a control scheme that was identical to something else I already knew how to do. (Even something like 2D Mario games do all have minor nuances that change from game to game)

“30fps Is Not a Good Artistic Decision, It's a Failure”
Freedom of the press is for those who happen to own one.

Haru17

unrandomsam wrote:

(Even something like 2D Mario games do all have minor nuances that change from game to game)

Do they? All I've noticed change in NSMB is the platform, levels, and token power ups.

Edited on by Haru17

unrandomsam

Haru17 wrote:

unrandomsam wrote:

(Even something like 2D Mario games do all have minor nuances that change from game to game)

Do they? All I've noticed change in NSMB is the platform, levels, and token power ups.

NSMB2 has the 30fps issues that are to be expected. (Ropes are where it is most noticeable).

The DS one is different.

Wii and Wii U are the same. (At least as far as I can tell). NSLU is different again. (Everything about it is better really other than the reduced length of the levels and the fact that you cannot start a full playthrough with the Mario physics(Which makes things even more interesting)).

Eel

The DS one also had some really fun multiplayer minigames.

I wish the other entries had continued that.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

unrandomsam

Even then 2D Mario games are not the same as going into supposedly a completely different game that everything necessary is already learnt before you start.

Bolt_Strike

I'm not sure I agree that Mario Kart is formulaic. The twists don't really feel as gimmicky since the game as a whole tends to make use of them and require a different strategy or approach. Tricking, multiple vehicle types, and antigravity completely change the way you think throughout the game. If there's any games guilty of being too formulaic, it's the platformers (NSMB and Tropical Freeze most notably), because you don't get this same sense that you have to think about the level differently. Most of what they change from game to game basically amounts to gimmicks that only come into play for a handful of levels, so you're not really seeing the new stuff enough to affect the entire experience and the additions come off more as being DLC stretched into an entire game instead of a unique, standalone game.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Dreamz

I haven't read beyond the first page of comments, so apologies if I'm repeating anyone here.

Whether or not the Wii U is a failure depends on what your metric for success is. If your metric is console units sold, it's a failure. If it's by marketshare percentage, it's a resounding failure. However, if your metric is profit, it was a success. And if your metric was great games, it was resounding success.

Likewise, If your metric was third party support, the system was a complete and utter catastrophe.

My 3rd Party Games List: Click here
U-Wishlist: Splatoon, Zelda U

shaneoh

Dreamz wrote:

Likewise, If your metric was third party support, the system was a complete and utter catastrophe.

3rd party titles from major companies, yes, overall 3rd party titles available, no.

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

bluemage1989

They've made a profit on it so while it may not be a financial success it also isn't a a failure. They've also managed to deliver a lot of fun to there core fan base so in that respect its a success.

bluemage1989

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.