Wii U Forum

Topic: Is Nintendo really using a form of Blu-ray for Wii U games?

Showing 21 to 40 of 92

AuthorMessage
Avatar

NX01Trekkie1992

21. Posted:

NotFinite wrote:

shingi_70 wrote:

NotFinite wrote:

lz20XX wrote:

TrueWiiMaster wrote:

I kind of doubt the Wii U will use Blu-ray, if just because using it would mean paying their competition.

Sony doesn't own all of Blu-ray :)

What's your point? They own part of it, so Nintendo will have to pay licensing fees in part to Sony.

Well Sony pays Microsoft to use windows. Other Computer OEM's pay Sony to use blueray, Its how consumer Electronics work man.

Are you responding to me?

Pretty sure he did, you asked for the point and well, answered

NX01Trekkie1992

AuthorMessage
Avatar

NotFinite

22. Posted:

  • TrueWii said Nintendo would have to pay Sony licensing fees in order to use Blu-Ray in the Wii U.
  • lz20XX then said, "Sony doesn't own all of Blu-ray," which seemed to imply that TrueWii's statement was false and that somehow some of Nintendo's money would not go to Sony because "Sony doesn't own all of Blu-ray."
  • I asked what lz20XX's point was in commenting that Sony doesn't own all of Blu-ray. I mean, why mention that if it doesn't change anything in the discussion? Is he just shouting out random facts in reply to posts?
  • Then shingi_70 jumped in and <i>tried</i> to define lz20XX's point, but failed miserably in understanding the discussion and ended up just spouting another fact as if he were correcting someone.

He answered my question, but it was not an adequate answer.

NotFinite

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kkslider5552000

23. Posted:

NotFinite wrote:

  • TrueWii said Nintendo would have to pay Sony licensing fees in order to use Blu-Ray in the Wii U.
  • lz20XX then said, "Sony doesn't own all of Blu-ray," which seemed to imply that TrueWii's statement was false and that somehow some of Nintendo's money would not go to Sony because "Sony doesn't own all of Blu-ray."
  • I asked what lz20XX's point was in commenting that Sony doesn't own all of Blu-ray. I mean, why mention that if it doesn't change anything in the discussion? Is he just shouting out random facts in reply to posts?
  • Then shingi_70 jumped in and <i>tried</i> to define lz20XX's point, but failed miserably in understanding the discussion and ended up just spouting another fact as if he were correcting someone.

He answered my question, but it was not an adequate answer.

I almost accidently read that discussion, thanks for the summary!

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

Cool link for cool people: http://forums.dctp.ws/

AuthorMessage
Avatar

shingi_70

24. Posted:

NotFinite wrote:

  • TrueWii said Nintendo would have to pay Sony licensing fees in order to use Blu-Ray in the Wii U.
  • lz20XX then said, "Sony doesn't own all of Blu-ray," which seemed to imply that TrueWii's statement was false and that somehow some of Nintendo's money would not go to Sony because "Sony doesn't own all of Blu-ray."
  • I asked what lz20XX's point was in commenting that Sony doesn't own all of Blu-ray. I mean, why mention that if it doesn't change anything in the discussion? Is he just shouting out random facts in reply to posts?
  • Then shingi_70 jumped in and <i>tried</i> to define lz20XX's point, but failed miserably in understanding the discussion and ended up just spouting another fact as if he were correcting someone.

He answered my question, but it was not an adequate answer.

How Did I fail to answer the question. You said they don't want to pay the competition and I gave examples of How that happens to all the all the time in the Consumer electronics space.

shingi_70

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage
Avatar

ShadowChaos

25. Posted:

do panasonic and samsung make blu-ray right so can we use them

3DS FC: 1633-4304-0741
"This is war; survival is your responsibility" ~ HUNK
Today is a baby win, Tomorrow is a big boy win
When theres no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

26. Posted:

Why would Sony having a part ownership on Blu-Ray tech make any difference? They use DVD tech in the Wii and DVDs were developed by Sony... as were CDs and Nintendo wanting Sony's help with a CD based console in the '90s is part of the story behind the Playstation in the first place!

If anything it would be strange for Nintendo NOT to to base their console on Blu-Ray given it's the mass produced, high capacity media of the day. Much cheaper than going down any other route and who cares if Sony make a bit of money out of it.

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage
AvatarStaff

Unca_Lz

27. Posted:

NotFinite wrote:

  • TrueWii said Nintendo would have to pay Sony licensing fees in order to use Blu-Ray in the Wii U.
  • lz20XX then said, "Sony doesn't own all of Blu-ray," which seemed to imply that TrueWii's statement was false and that somehow some of Nintendo's money would not go to Sony because "Sony doesn't own all of Blu-ray."
  • I asked what lz20XX's point was in commenting that Sony doesn't own all of Blu-ray. I mean, why mention that if it doesn't change anything in the discussion? Is he just shouting out random facts in reply to posts?
  • Then shingi_70 jumped in and <i>tried</i> to define lz20XX's point, but failed miserably in understanding the discussion and ended up just spouting another fact as if he were correcting someone.

He answered my question, but it was not an adequate answer.

Perhaps Google can solve your questions. Blu-ray is owned by the Blu-ray Association, which is a board of about 19 electronics companies including Sony. Therefore it is difficult to say that using Blu-ray is supporting the "competition"

Nintendo Life moderator and duck

My Retrologgery
LordJumpMad is emperor. U mad?

3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

AuthorMessage
Avatar

NX01Trekkie1992

28. Posted:

lz20XX wrote:

NotFinite wrote:

  • TrueWii said Nintendo would have to pay Sony licensing fees in order to use Blu-Ray in the Wii U.
  • lz20XX then said, "Sony doesn't own all of Blu-ray," which seemed to imply that TrueWii's statement was false and that somehow some of Nintendo's money would not go to Sony because "Sony doesn't own all of Blu-ray."
  • I asked what lz20XX's point was in commenting that Sony doesn't own all of Blu-ray. I mean, why mention that if it doesn't change anything in the discussion? Is he just shouting out random facts in reply to posts?
  • Then shingi_70 jumped in and <i>tried</i> to define lz20XX's point, but failed miserably in understanding the discussion and ended up just spouting another fact as if he were correcting someone.

He answered my question, but it was not an adequate answer.

Perhaps Google can solve your questions. Blu-ray is owned by the Blu-ray Association, which is a board of about 19 electronics companies including Sony. Therefore it is difficult to say that using Blu-ray is supporting the "competition"

Other examples of board members include Disney, Apple, and other such companies I believe

NX01Trekkie1992

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SteveW

29. Posted:

I'm not convinced we would need anything more than a DVD drive. Any space used over 9 gigs is just going to be used for cut scenes anyway and I'd rather play the game than watch a movie...

SteveW

AuthorMessage
Avatar

NotFinite

30. Posted:

lz20XX wrote:

Perhaps Google can solve your questions. Blu-ray is owned by the Blu-ray Association, which is a board of about 19 electronics companies including Sony. Therefore it is difficult to say that using Blu-ray is supporting the "competition"

The same is true of DVD, to a lesser extent. So you're saying that Sony might not get any money at all if Nintendo buys a license to use Blu-Ray?

NotFinite

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bankai

31. Posted:

lol @ people assuming Nintendo would (or should) automatically object to paying licensing fees to Blu-Ray because 1/19th of that body is Sony.

Samsung provides Apple with components for the iOS devices. Business is not high school.

Edited on by Bankai

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

NotFinite

32. Posted:

^^ So you're saying that Sony would get some money if Nintendo chooses to pay licensing fees for Blu-Ray. Is that right?

NotFinite

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bankai

33. Posted:

NotFinite wrote:

^^ So you're saying that Sony would get some money if Nintendo chooses to pay licensing fees for Blu-Ray. Is that right?

I don't know. I don't follow that industry or business model.

I would assume so based on the anecdotal evidence I've seen.

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

34. Posted:

The whole "but Sony will make money" argument is hillarious. I mean really, so what if they do? Won't make any difference. They'll want to use the best and cheapest technology available regardless of who owns it.

SteveW wrote:

I'm not convinced we would need anything more than a DVD drive. Any space used over 9 gigs is just going to be used for cut scenes anyway and I'd rather play the game than watch a movie...

and higher resolution textures and models. Plus they want to be able to convince as many developers/publishers to consider the Wii U when they're doing cross platform games. They need to be above the PS3 and 360 in every spec possible and at the same time they need to be within throwing distance of the next generation Sony/MS consoles for that to happen.

And I'm fairly sympathetic to this idea, read my posts on the first page of this thread. I'd be pretty happy if they sacrificed cut-scenes, some of the uber-high res textures and paid a bit more money for awesome load times. Dump optical media, go back to cartridges....... but they won't. They're selling to developers and as wide an audience of gamers as possible. It's a shame, have you seen how awesomely fast 3DS games load compared to Wii/PS3/360 games? :)

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage
Avatar

TTGlider

35. Posted:

This conversation... wow.

Anyway. Iwata has already said, to paraphrase, that "adding Bluray would make the console more expensive, and we don't think it's worth the cost as many consumers already have devices to play that media in their home." Simple. The question has been answered already by the head man, and I tend to take it at face value. And I disagree with it! But I'm an enthusiast. I do think that piracy might be part of the concern as well, though using a non-standard format may have more perceived security than real. Simple Google search shows BR player licensing as of 2009 was $9.50 per box, by the way.

TTGlider

AuthorMessage
Avatar

FloY

36. Posted:

blu-ray is really slow...lets see what nintendo come up with..

FloY

AuthorMessage
Avatar

LordTendoboy

37. Posted:

skywake wrote:

The whole "but Sony will make money" argument is hillarious. I mean really, so what if they do? Won't make any difference. They'll want to use the best and cheapest technology available regardless of who owns it.

SteveW wrote:

I'm not convinced we would need anything more than a DVD drive. Any space used over 9 gigs is just going to be used for cut scenes anyway and I'd rather play the game than watch a movie...

and higher resolution textures and models. Plus they want to be able to convince as many developers/publishers to consider the Wii U when they're doing cross platform games. They need to be above the PS3 and 360 in every spec possible and at the same time they need to be within throwing distance of the next generation Sony/MS consoles for that to happen.

And I'm fairly sympathetic to this idea, read my posts on the first page of this thread. I'd be pretty happy if they sacrificed cut-scenes, some of the uber-high res textures and paid a bit more money for awesome load times. Dump optical media, go back to cartridges....... but they won't. They're selling to developers and as wide an audience of gamers as possible. It's a shame, have you seen how awesomely fast 3DS games load compared to Wii/PS3/360 games? :)

No. Don't go back to game cartridges. Use flash memory cards instead (like DS game cards, PS Vita game cards, SD cards, Memory Sticks, etc.).

3DS Friend Code (NEW) 4597-0176-3500
Minis March Again (NEW) 2323-0441-2739
Mini-Land Mayhem (NEW) 5071-8232-0670
Wii Friend Code 5519-8046-0668-6068
Smash Bros. Brawl 1893-2412-4594
PSN ID PS_man1984

AuthorMessage
Avatar

tanookisuit

38. Posted:

I've heard odds are since it's there, just and in another format still thrives HD-DVD variant CBHD http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CBHD could likely be used. The discs currently can store 30GB of data, they're faster than blu ray, sturdy, reliable, and increasing in popularity and use in China and other asian territories. It's a cheap license, they don't have to pay Sony a dime which we know they're not fond of doing due to their history, and it's stupid cheap to produce as they use existing DVD production lines to pump out the discs. This will be appealing to everyone because (I don't know true costs so I'm making this up here) if it let's say costs a company in mass production 50cents to make a DVD and $2 to do a blu-ray, which looks better to profit margins when both have large capacities and which one looks better when it has less shortcomings than blu-ray. BR has still a size advantage to a point, but it's not grossly wide.

tanookisuit

AuthorMessage
Avatar

bub166

39. Posted:

SteveW wrote:

I'm not convinced we would need anything more than a DVD drive. Any space used over 9 gigs is just going to be used for cut scenes anyway and I'd rather play the game than watch a movie...

You've never played a game like Metal Gear Solid or Mass Effect, then. I see your point, but video games can be a great vessel for amazing stories. Amazing stories generally require cut scenes.

Edited on by bub166

Nintendo - Where even first person shooters ooze creativity.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

shingi_70

40. Posted:

tendoboy1984 wrote:

skywake wrote:

The whole "but Sony will make money" argument is hillarious. I mean really, so what if they do? Won't make any difference. They'll want to use the best and cheapest technology available regardless of who owns it.

SteveW wrote:

I'm not convinced we would need anything more than a DVD drive. Any space used over 9 gigs is just going to be used for cut scenes anyway and I'd rather play the game than watch a movie...

and higher resolution textures and models. Plus they want to be able to convince as many developers/publishers to consider the Wii U when they're doing cross platform games. They need to be above the PS3 and 360 in every spec possible and at the same time they need to be within throwing distance of the next generation Sony/MS consoles for that to happen.

And I'm fairly sympathetic to this idea, read my posts on the first page of this thread. I'd be pretty happy if they sacrificed cut-scenes, some of the uber-high res textures and paid a bit more money for awesome load times. Dump optical media, go back to cartridges....... but they won't. They're selling to developers and as wide an audience of gamers as possible. It's a shame, have you seen how awesomely fast 3DS games load compared to Wii/PS3/360 games? :)

No. Don't go back to game cartridges. Use flash memory cards instead (like DS game cards, PS Vita game cards, SD cards, Memory Sticks, etc.).

smh. You know how much that would cost/

shingi_70

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70