Wii U Forum

Topic: Is Nintendo really using a form of Blu-ray for Wii U games?

Showing 1 to 20 of 92

AuthorMessage
Avatar

LordTendoboy

1. Posted:

I remember reading on Nintendo's E3 website that the game discs would be "high-capacity" 25GB. HD-DVD is dead, so the only other alternative is Blu-ray (or a proprietary form of it).

If I recall correctly, the GameCube mini-discs could only hold about 1.5GB of data, far less than what DVDs used.

Edited on by LordTendoboy

3DS Friend Code (NEW) 4597-0176-3500
Minis March Again (NEW) 2323-0441-2739
Mini-Land Mayhem (NEW) 5071-8232-0670
Wii Friend Code 5519-8046-0668-6068
Smash Bros. Brawl 1893-2412-4594
PSN ID PS_man1984

AuthorMessage
AvatarAdmin

antdickens

2. Posted:

@tendoboy1984 the simple answer is we don't quite know, what Nintendo have said so far is "proprietary high-density optical discs" of around 25GB capacity. If they were to use a form of Blu-Ray then there would be some kind of license involved, so I'm not sure they would be interested in that.

I'm quite sure Nintendo want to use a proprietary format to keep piracy to a minimum, it'll mean having slightly higher production costs on games but if done correctly can limit pirates from using discs - time will tell on that.

Personally, I would of been happy with them using Blu-Ray, it's won the format war now and supports up to 50GB right (Dual Layer)?

@antdickens
Managing Director, Nintendo Life | Push Square | Pure Xbox

Nintendo Network ID: anthonyd | Twitter: antdickens

AuthorMessage
Avatar

LordTendoboy

3. Posted:

antdickens wrote:

@tendoboy1984 the simple answer is we don't quite know, what Nintendo have said so far is "proprietary high-density optical discs" of around 25GB capacity. If they were to use a form of Blu-Ray then there would be some kind of license involved, so I'm not sure they would be interested in that.

I'm quite sure Nintendo want to use a proprietary format to keep piracy to a minimum, it'll mean having slightly higher production costs on games but if done correctly can limit pirates from using discs - time will tell on that.

Personally, I would of been happy with them using Blu-Ray, it's won the format war now and supports up to 50GB right (Dual Layer)?

Yes Blu-Ray supports up to 50GB, and the only game to fully use that amount (that I know of) is Metal Gear Solid 4.

Nintendo could still use a proprietary form of Blu-Ray, like how the Wii uses a proprietary form of DVD and the GameCube used a proprietary form of mini-discs.

3DS Friend Code (NEW) 4597-0176-3500
Minis March Again (NEW) 2323-0441-2739
Mini-Land Mayhem (NEW) 5071-8232-0670
Wii Friend Code 5519-8046-0668-6068
Smash Bros. Brawl 1893-2412-4594
PSN ID PS_man1984

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

4. Posted:

Yeah, I'd assume it's blu-ray but written to the disk in a strange way. Like backwards or with CAV instead of CLV like they did with the Wii/GC. Still, if they're not wanting to have blu-ray playback then they can do whatever and it won't really matter.

They could bring back HD DVD and it wouldn't make much difference at all to the end user.

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage
Avatar

zezhyrule

5. Posted:

tendoboy1984 wrote:

Yes Blu-Ray supports up to 50GB, and the only game to fully use that amount (that I know of) is Metal Gear Solid 4.

I don't know about 'fully using that amount', but yes, MGS4 is on a dual-layer Blu-ray Disc along with FFXIII and GoWIII.

[15:36] Corbs: Vita rules - 3DS drools!

zezloggery | i haz youtube | PSN ID: zezhyrule

[23:11] PhoenixCake: my brother is such a dope >___>.

AuthorMessage
AvatarAdmin

JonWahlgren

6. Posted:

^Also, L.A. Noire is on three DVDs for 360 and one Blu-Ray for PS3.

Editor At Large
NLFM podcast | Twitter | Thunder Panda!

Nintendo Network ID: johnnypanda | Twitter: jonwahlgren

AuthorMessage
Avatar

TheKingOfTown

7. Posted:

Aren't the Uncharted games dual-layer?

Why do people point to their wrists when asking for the time, but don't point to their crotch when they ask where the bathroom is?

3DS Friend Code: 1891-1201-0412 | Nintendo Network ID: TheKingOfTown

AuthorMessage
Avatar

zezhyrule

8. Posted:

No.

[15:36] Corbs: Vita rules - 3DS drools!

zezloggery | i haz youtube | PSN ID: zezhyrule

[23:11] PhoenixCake: my brother is such a dope >___>.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

TheKingOfTown

9. Posted:

Oh okay.

Why do people point to their wrists when asking for the time, but don't point to their crotch when they ask where the bathroom is?

3DS Friend Code: 1891-1201-0412 | Nintendo Network ID: TheKingOfTown

AuthorMessage
Avatar

ToadFan

10. Posted:

skywake wrote:

Yeah, I'd assume it's blu-ray but written to the disk in a strange way. Like backwards or with CAV instead of CLV like they did with the Wii/GC. Still, if they're not wanting to have blu-ray playback then they can do whatever and it won't really matter.

They could bring back HD DVD and it wouldn't make much difference at all to the end user.

ToadFan

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

11. Posted:

I still think that either the next generation of home consoles or the one after that will have a major player dumping optical media. If not for pure online stuff, which I think might be a bit longer off, then cartridges. It would be all sorts of hilarious irony to see maybe the PS4 selling the performance advantages of cartridges over the Wii U's optical disk in 2014..... but it could very well happen methinks.

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage
Avatar

LordTendoboy

12. Posted:

skywake wrote:

I still think that either the next generation of home consoles or the one after that will have a major player dumping optical media. If not for pure online stuff, which I think might be a bit longer off, then cartridges. It would be all sorts of hilarious irony to see maybe the PS4 selling the performance advantages of cartridges over the Wii U's optical disk in 2014..... but it could very well happen methinks.

If by cartridges you mean game cards, then that's already happened. The Vita uses game cards just like the DS, whereas the PSP used optical discs. Strange bit of irony, isn't it?

The PlayStation's use of discs was the main factor that caused many third-party developers to switch over from the N64, due to the format's large storage capacity. And now Sony is using game cards for their handhelds, copying the DS.

Edited on by LordTendoboy

3DS Friend Code (NEW) 4597-0176-3500
Minis March Again (NEW) 2323-0441-2739
Mini-Land Mayhem (NEW) 5071-8232-0670
Wii Friend Code 5519-8046-0668-6068
Smash Bros. Brawl 1893-2412-4594
PSN ID PS_man1984

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

13. Posted:

Well yeah, but handhelds strongly favor cartridges so it's hardly a surprise. One of it's main advantages over disks is it's low power usage and durability which is a HUGE issue for handhelds and virtually a non-issue for consoles. At the other side of things cartridges have a much, much higher cost per GB which is much less of an issue for handhelds given they have lower resolution screens (and therefore lower res textures and models) and generally smaller games.

.......... when I said "major player dumping optical media" in the Wii U thread I thought it was pretty clear I was talking about non-portable consoles

Edited on by skywake

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage
Avatar

TrueWiiMaster

14. Posted:

I kind of doubt the Wii U will use Blu-ray, if just because using it would mean paying their competition. 25 GB is pretty huge, even if not equal to a 50 GB blu-ray (and who's to say it won't later? The PS3 didn't launch with dual layer either). It IS about triple the 360's capacity after all, and it managed.

Personally, I hope Nintendo doesn't waste the space. The Gamecube had the best graphics of the generation (RE4, Metroid Prime, Starfox, Windwaker, etc.) despite having the smallest capacity even with 2 discs. Think about it. Metroid Prime 1 is one of the best-looking games of the entire generation, and it fit on 1.5 GBs and was a launch!

I am the TrueWiiMaster! Those who call the Wii casual BEWARE!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

shingi_70

15. Posted:

Most Likely Not. If anything I could see a propriety form of HD-DVD. It may be dead but it doesn't matter if your using it for game discs.

shingi_70

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage
AvatarStaff

Unca_Lz

16. Posted:

TrueWiiMaster wrote:

I kind of doubt the Wii U will use Blu-ray, if just because using it would mean paying their competition.

Sony doesn't own all of Blu-ray :)

Nintendo Life moderator and duck

My Retrologgery

3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

AuthorMessage
Avatar

NotFinite

17. Posted:

lz20XX wrote:

TrueWiiMaster wrote:

I kind of doubt the Wii U will use Blu-ray, if just because using it would mean paying their competition.

Sony doesn't own all of Blu-ray :)

What's your point? They own part of it, so Nintendo will have to pay licensing fees in part to Sony.

NotFinite

AuthorMessage
Avatar

shingi_70

18. Posted:

NotFinite wrote:

lz20XX wrote:

TrueWiiMaster wrote:

I kind of doubt the Wii U will use Blu-ray, if just because using it would mean paying their competition.

Sony doesn't own all of Blu-ray :)

What's your point? They own part of it, so Nintendo will have to pay licensing fees in part to Sony.

Well Sony pays Microsoft to use windows. Other Computer OEM's pay Sony to use blueray, Its how consumer Electronics work man.

Edited on by shingi_70

shingi_70

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage
Avatar

NotFinite

19. Posted:

shingi_70 wrote:

NotFinite wrote:

lz20XX wrote:

TrueWiiMaster wrote:

I kind of doubt the Wii U will use Blu-ray, if just because using it would mean paying their competition.

Sony doesn't own all of Blu-ray :)

What's your point? They own part of it, so Nintendo will have to pay licensing fees in part to Sony.

Well Sony pays Microsoft to use windows. Other Computer OEM's pay Sony to use blueray, Its how consumer Electronics work man.

Are you responding to me?

NotFinite

AuthorMessage
Avatar

shingi_70

20. Posted:

NotFinite wrote:

shingi_70 wrote:

NotFinite wrote:

lz20XX wrote:

TrueWiiMaster wrote:

I kind of doubt the Wii U will use Blu-ray, if just because using it would mean paying their competition.

Sony doesn't own all of Blu-ray :)

What's your point? They own part of it, so Nintendo will have to pay licensing fees in part to Sony.

Well Sony pays Microsoft to use windows. Other Computer OEM's pay Sony to use blueray, Its how consumer Electronics work man.

Are you responding to me?

yep

Edited on by shingi_70

shingi_70

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70