Wii U Forum

Topic: Is it time for a Wii U price cut already?

Showing 21 to 40 of 66

AuthorMessage
Avatar

OptometristLime

21. Posted:

3Dash wrote:

RancidVomit86 wrote:

The games will eventually come yes and I am in that group that says no I will wait but I'm betting by the time many of those games get here (my guess is next year for the bulk of them) there will be a price cut anyway by then.

Anyway, you basically completely missed my point.

But don't you think Nintendo's console reputation suffers in the mean time? It's like sending a console out to die, and then expecting it to be revived by titles that are still an arm's length away. Personally I think Nintendo took a big risk launching (too early?) without their big titles.

We can't forget that those big titles you talked about wont arrive until Christmas; well the other consoles will already be arriving! Their launch windows are likely to overshadow the Pikmins and Mario's, by then I agree with @Rancid that only a price cut would spur enthusiasm.

AJ_Lethal wrote:

DON'T DARE TO TALK CRAP ABOUT GOAT SIMULATOR.

You are what you eat from your head to your feet.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Mk_II

22. Posted:

No, most certainly not. Once the big games are out, it will sell anyway.

Nintendo 64 Forever forum
Nintendo Games NES 241 | SNES 324 | N64 267 | NGC 150 | WII 85 | WIIU 9 | IQUE 5 | GB 161 | GBC 57 | GBA 106 | NDS 57 | 3DS 21
Nintendo Network ID: Mk2_NL 3DS Friend code 0731-4737-4010 AC:NL Dream Code 7600-2509-4051 Animal Crossing Blog

AuthorMessage
Avatar

RoryLee

23. Posted:

thelastlemming wrote:

3Dash wrote:

RancidVomit86 wrote:

The games will eventually come yes and I am in that group that says no I will wait but I'm betting by the time many of those games get here (my guess is next year for the bulk of them) there will be a price cut anyway by then.

Anyway, you basically completely missed my point.

But don't you think Nintendo's console reputation suffers in the mean time? It's like sending a console out to die, and then expecting it to be revived by titles that are still an arm's length away. Personally I think Nintendo took a big risk launching (too early?) without their big titles.

We can't forget that those big titles you talked about wont arrive until Christmas; well the other consoles will already be arriving! Their launch windows are likely to overshadow the Pikmins and Mario's, by then I agree with @Rancid that only a price cut would spur enthusiasm.

It might hurt their reputation a little bit. But the 3DS was in the same situation and it pulled through. Big games and a price cut will help the WiiU, it may not be for awhile but it will happen.

Nintendo ID: RoryLee
3DS: 3007-8085-6351

AuthorMessage
Avatar

RancidVomit86

24. Posted:

RoryLee wrote:

thelastlemming wrote:

3Dash wrote:

RancidVomit86 wrote:

The games will eventually come yes and I am in that group that says no I will wait but I'm betting by the time many of those games get here (my guess is next year for the bulk of them) there will be a price cut anyway by then.

Anyway, you basically completely missed my point.

But don't you think Nintendo's console reputation suffers in the mean time? It's like sending a console out to die, and then expecting it to be revived by titles that are still an arm's length away. Personally I think Nintendo took a big risk launching (too early?) without their big titles.

We can't forget that those big titles you talked about wont arrive until Christmas; well the other consoles will already be arriving! Their launch windows are likely to overshadow the Pikmins and Mario's, by then I agree with @Rancid that only a price cut would spur enthusiasm.

It might hurt their reputation a little bit. But the 3DS was in the same situation and it pulled through. Big games and a price cut will help the WiiU, it may not be for awhile but it will happen.

Thanks for reinforcing our thoughts.

Xbox Live Gamer Tag - RancidVomit86
Battle.net - Dayman
Wii Code - 4335 5256 5880 9373
iOS Game Center - RancidVomit86

Writer for www.sega-addicts.com

AuthorMessage
Avatar

moomoo

25. Posted:

No, since I doubt people would buy it yet anyway, since the software for the system is lacking in regards to quantity and uniqueness.
If Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101 and a new Mario game come out, and then the system doesn't sell well, then yes, it will need a price cut.

Best thread ever
Feel free to add me on Miiverse or PSN.
Miiverse is Moomoo14, PSN is Moomoo1405390

3DS Friend Code: 4940-5561-6002 | Nintendo Network ID: Moomoo14

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Link-Hero

26. Posted:

The only reason for Nintendo to put a price cut for the Wii U is if a lot of big titles get released, but the system still doesn't sell any better. Price cut does not always guarantee that the system will sell better if there is no software to buy.

Same exact thing happened to the 3DS. After the price cut, it didn't sell much better. But when more games started to be released, the sales of the 3DS started to rise dramatically.

Edited on by Link-Hero

Link-Hero

Nintendo Network ID: LinkHero25

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Amigaengine

27. Posted:

RancidVomit86 wrote:

3Dash wrote:

Amigaengine wrote:

Wait until fall or how about ditching nintendoland as a pack in and include NSMBU ?

Erm... NLand is basically like the perfect pack-in game, imo. It shows off what the Wii U can do, NSMBU doesn't really do that. Plus, I'd pick NLand over NSMBU any day.

But NSMBU would be a better decision I think. Mario is a name people associate with and carries some brand power.

Nland is a waste of plastic imo. Add NSMBU and the value of the console becomes that much greater. Really 350.00 bucks for a next-gen console with a game . Promise Sony nor MS can match that with their new machines.

Yes I agree by the time PS/Nextbox arrive Nintendo will have some very good games on the market and also realize they are selling the machine at a loss currently but just cannot imagine a price cut or GOOD pack in game would help sell consoles.

Twitter: AmigaEngine

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DefHalan

28. Posted:

I actually am glad it came with NintendoLand. I am having a lot of fun with it and I don't think I would have picked it up on its own.

http://dudehugespeaks.tumblr.com/post/44243746261/nickels-dimes-and-quarters
http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/why-console-specs-dont-matter
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/200271/Video_Don_Daglow_on_nextgen_transition_traps_and_treasures.php

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Gamesake

29. Posted:

We can keep hoping for an early price drop but it really won't make much difference for the Wii U. Right now gamers are seeing a lot of third party ports on the Wii U, which is fine (it is what Nintendo promised more of at E3 2011), but straight up ports alone aren't what's going to sell a Nintendo console in the end. We'll see how it goes once it has bigger exclusive games showing off the hardware.

...in my pants.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

30. Posted:

Is everyone forgetting about the ZombiU bundle? That's giving you ZombiU for free. You're paying $40 more than the other bundle, but there's more in the box than what you would pay for separately.
The Wii U probably won't need a price cut until next 2014 holiday, assuming the games coming out soon sell consoles, and sell to current Wii U owners.
Wii U is improving and gaining stability in the market 1 year before the PS4, and probably longer than Xbox right now. Those consoles will probably go through the 'setup' process just as much, if not more than Wii U for the other consoles.
3DS started picking up last year, and now PS Vita is. Things take time, and there will be enough Wii Us on shelves when/if people decide to get them.
We really just have to see how much the others cost, what they do with their services, and business strategies.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

MAN1AC

31. Posted:

No it's not.
The lack of games is the reason the console is not selling, not the price.

I wish there was a way to know you are in the good ole days before you actually leave them.

3DS Friend Code: 0705-3088-6988 | Nintendo Network ID: MANIAC64

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SparkOfSpirit

32. Posted:

Yeah, it needs more games first.

“A thing may be too sad to be believed or too wicked to be believed or too good to be believed; but it cannot be too absurd to be believed in this planet of frogs and elephants, of crocodiles and cuttle-fish.”
― G.K. Chesterton

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Drobotic

33. Posted:

I think the Wii U is selling so poorly,compared with the Wii,because of the price.Also,the advertisements were completely horrible.Seriously.I prefer "Wii Would Like to Play With U" commercials than ones with stupid DUBSTEP4KIDS music in the background.Nintendo isn't getting out to the public like it used to.At least the 3DS is doing well,though.

Currently playing:A little bit of everything :D
Fan of:Adventure Time,MLP:FiM,and gaming on handhelds,consoles,and the PC.

3DS Friend Code: 1332-8187-4581 | Nintendo Network ID: Bubblenom

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DefHalan

34. Posted:

I believe the Wii U is selling poorly due to the fact that it doesn't have games to advertise for it. When 3DS sales picked up not only was there a price drop but there were also some high profile games being announced for it. When high profile games start to be announced for it sales will rise. When you see Wind Waker HD, Mario Kart U and Super Mario U being advertised the Wii U sales will rise. A price cut right before the PS4 and Xbox 720 are released might help

http://dudehugespeaks.tumblr.com/post/44243746261/nickels-dimes-and-quarters
http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/why-console-specs-dont-matter
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/200271/Video_Don_Daglow_on_nextgen_transition_traps_and_treasures.php

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

AuthorMessage
Avatar

OptometristLime

35. Posted:

MANIAC24 wrote:

No it's not.
The lack of games is the reason the console is not selling, not the price.

Until Nintendo can put consoles into households, the big publishers have "an excuse" to overlook the Wii U in favor of the other consoles. Nintendo can't afford to sit idle while their console drifts into limbo; there are other answers than a price cut but its touch and go for the console market, and some action is needed to jump start sales. It's noteworthy to consider that the promise of games won't sell many consoles.

AJ_Lethal wrote:

DON'T DARE TO TALK CRAP ABOUT GOAT SIMULATOR.

You are what you eat from your head to your feet.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

rallydefault

36. Posted:

I think the "big hitting" games coming out next holiday season, coupled with a price cut at precisely the time PS4 and 720 release would be the best strategy. Bayonetta 2, Wind Waker, and [insert other awesome Nintendo franchise here] for around 300 bucks, or another FPS with PC-level graphics for 600 bucks?

rallydefault

AuthorMessage
Avatar

MAN1AC

37. Posted:

thelastlemming wrote:

MANIAC24 wrote:

No it's not.
The lack of games is the reason the console is not selling, not the price.

Until Nintendo can put consoles into households, the big publishers have "an excuse" to overlook the Wii U in favor of the other consoles. Nintendo can't afford to sit idle while their console drifts into limbo; there are other answers than a price cut but its touch and go for the console market, and some action is needed to jump start sales. It's noteworthy to consider that the promise of games won't sell many consoles.

I think that Nintendo just needs to release exclusives that people want to play asap. Zelda, Smash Bros, Mario Kart, etc will definitely help. Once people have consoles publishers will hop on the bandwagon.

People that aren't necessarily big Nintendo fans will buy a console to play those games. I actually know people who have intentions of buying a Wii U but they aren't going to just spend money in good faith. Nintendo needs to make the first move. Third party and VC games that people can play on their phones or PC isn't going to cut it.

I wish there was a way to know you are in the good ole days before you actually leave them.

3DS Friend Code: 0705-3088-6988 | Nintendo Network ID: MANIAC64

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kkslider5552000

38. Posted:

Only if I get 20 free games again for buying it ASAP.

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

Cool link for cool people: http://forums.dctp.ws/

AuthorMessage
Avatar

AaronB

39. Posted:

What I expect isn't exactly a price cut, but a nice bundle. They're already doing Zombi U and MH3 bundles with a pro controller - but those are sort of niche games. We'll see what happens through Q4; maybe things will turn around after a few good games arrive. A price cut this early might boost sales, but it would be a bad sign.

This holiday season is going to be crucial. I'd like to see a nice bundle with Mario Kart U (if it's ready), or whatever big Nintendo franchise is ready to go (if there aren't any, they're screwed). Let the bundle be at least $50 cheaper than the PS4 and 720. And maybe offer a special discount on the basic version - a next-gen system for $275 ish. Good advertising is also important. I think it's a huge mistake to advertise the hardware directly. Advertise 1-2 must-have games each quarter, and at most have 1 scene in the commercial showing what you can do with the GamePad. As great as it really is, focusing commercials on it is not a good idea.

AaronB

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Burning_Spear

40. Posted:

Nintendo would be foolish to announce a price cut prior to Microsoft and Sony announcing the prices of their new systems. If those systems are $450 or $500, Nintendo has its price cut right there. If Nintendo announces a cut now, Microsoft and Sony adjust downward to negate it. Let them play their cards first.

Mechabot Ultror Fights Again